LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Minion Destruction - Fun to Play Fellowship  (Read 2374 times)

February 25, 2017, 05:13:54 AM
Read 2374 times

matthewb82

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Minion Destruction - Fun to Play Fellowship
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:13:54 AM »
This is a fellowship I have been tweaking for Movie Block.  It doesn't always win, but it is very fun to play and can be very frustrating to many Shadow strategies:

Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Aragorn, King in Exile (starting)
Faramir, Captain of Gondor x2
Legolas, Greenleaf
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Gondorian Merchant

Aragorn's Bow x2
Faramir's Bow x2
Blade of Gondor

Citadel of Minas Tirith x4
Gondor Bowmen x4
Stone Tower x2
Citadel of the Stars
Second Level x3
Sixth Level

What Are They? x4

It is difficult for minions to get past the Maneuver and Archery phases.  What Are They? is brutal with Second Level (I use Sixth Level to bring it back).  Gondorian Merchant helps both What Are They? as well as hand clog.  Companions rarely skirmish, and when they do there are numerous ways to get through it in a single move without a fight (opponents virtually never get a chance to use skirmish events or abilities).  Eowyn is a monster against high-vitality minions that think they can soak up wounds.  Citadel of Minas Tirith triggers virtually every turn.

So basic strategy is: discard minions in Maneuver, blast away in Archery, mop up in Skirmish, heal at end of turn.

Moving to Site 9 with unwounded Aragorn, Legolas, and Eowyn practically guarantees a win.

It has some weaknesses, namely Saruman's Power, but I don't see that often in Movie Block.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:17:54 AM by matthewb82 »

February 27, 2017, 06:39:36 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Minion Destruction - Fun to Play Fellowship
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »
I used to play something similar back in the day. I always thought What Are They? was such a cool card, particularly in the King Standard (1-7) theater. A few thoughts:

Tough to see the benefit of Boromir, Bearer of Council over Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms or a utilitarian Frodo. Blade of Gondor is an almost useless addition, as his condition to fight leads to quick corruption or a lot of wounds--making him unable to defeat minions via the sword's text. Blade of Gondor is also Corsair Marauder fodder.

My version played with a heavy-cycling shadow to take advantage of Gondorian Merchant. My concern is that between the Merchant and just three copies of Second Level, you are going to run out of opportunities to make minions roaming. Keep in mind you can score an additional wound with Hardy Garrison via Gondorian Merchant.

The lack of companions (Sam, Son of Hamfast) would be a concern to me as well. I would consider running a flush of Aragorn and starting Faramir, Captain of Gondor and a [Gondor] man--possibly Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith. He can tutor your preferred cards and build a strong support area early.

Cheers,
-wtk