LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: "Well, I'm Back" - What to Get  (Read 3613 times)

March 27, 2017, 05:39:23 PM
Read 3613 times

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
"Well, I'm Back" - What to Get
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
After trying to get in to the game during my middle school years, I only ended up with an FOTR Gandalf and Aragorn starter, and nobody to play with. Fast forward to now, I randomly thought about the game a few weeks ago, looked in to things, and realized I could get a lot of the cards and build a nice pool, treating it like a "Living Card Game".

I've currently been able to get a box of every Fellowship block set. I'm thinking of getting another FOTR box, since, while I got some cards I always wanted (Bow of the Galadhrim), I still am missing a number of rares I wouldn't mind having (Legolas Greenleaf, Cave Troll, Goblin Armory, etc). My local gaming store will also cut me a deal on a box of Siege of Gondor.

I'm looking for advice for the order I should try and acquire things. I have every starter set except ROTK Aragorn, and have mostly been building FOTR block decks for friends to play with. I only want Movie block stuff (not including Reflections), since I'm not a fan of the site path becoming random and the removal of the Shadow cultures (which I loved). There was too much good stuff to pass up in Tower and King block. I'm thinking I should just build FOTR Block, Tower Block, and King Block, but I also feel like I might want to build some Movie Block decks so I can team up Moria Archers with the Morgul orc archer initiative stuff.

I never followed the uber-competitiveness of the game, I just want to be able to play and have fun and tinker. It just took me half a lifetime to get to this point.  ;D

Thanks for the advice. I was super glad to find this site, as there's hardly anything online about this game anymore.

March 27, 2017, 07:05:16 PM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: "Well, I'm Back" - What to Get
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »
Personally, I'd follow the order of release if you're trying to treat it like an LCG.  Play Fellowship block; play Towers on its own, play mixed Fellowship/Towers, then King alone, then Fellowship/Towers/King
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

March 28, 2017, 05:47:35 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »
Personally, I'd follow the order of release if you're trying to treat it like an LCG.  Play Fellowship block; play Towers on its own, play mixed Fellowship/Towers, then King alone, then Fellowship/Towers/King

Air Power is, again, entirely on point. I am jealous that you get to approach the game with largely untainted eyes. Post some of your deck builds on the board!

Note that some sets--Realms of the Elf Lords and Battle of Helms Deep specifically--are more difficult to acquire due to levels of production. On the other hand, some booster boxes like Mines of Moria can be had for about $10/box! Your play group will develop its own metagame and that will spur development.

As I am sure you have seen, there is also an entirely online way to play at www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr. If you want to hone your deck building skills while gaining a fuller understanding of the rules, there are always folks who like to help introduce the game to new players.

Welcome to the boards. Like a great Dwarven kingdom, it is a shell of its former glory. But there is still a lot of great advice to be gleaned from the forums and folks who want to help.

Cheers,
-wtk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:49:50 AM by ket_the_jet »

March 28, 2017, 06:45:49 AM
Reply #3

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »
Thank you so much! Really happy to be playing and exploring strategies. I will post my decklist attempts soon. I've put together a few, with some being better than others. They include:
Elf/Goblin Archers
Hobbits/Isengard
Dwarves/Sauron

March 28, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
Reply #4

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »

Note that some sets--Realms of the Elf Lords and Battle of Helms Deep specifically--are more difficult to acquire due to levels of production. On the other hand, some booster boxes like Mines of Moria can be had for about $10/box! Your play group will develop its own metagame and that will spur development.

What specific sets should I keep my eyes peeled for? From what I understand, Realms of the Elf Lords, Helm's Deep, and Siege of Gondor are the big 3.

March 29, 2017, 09:27:57 AM
Reply #5

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
Reflections is also getting pretty rare.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

March 29, 2017, 02:11:15 PM
Reply #6

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
Reflections is also getting pretty rare.

I don't think I've found any being sold. Considering it started the entire alt ring-bearer resistance stuff, I wasn't sure I was going to to count it as a Movie block type block for the game.

April 02, 2017, 05:18:06 AM
Reply #7

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »

I am jealous that you get to approach the game with largely untainted eyes. Post some of your deck builds on the board!

I posted a decklist for review in the Casual forums. It can be viewed here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,10791.0.html