LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: I'm a new player: i need some help!  (Read 2872 times)

April 24, 2017, 06:07:31 AM
Read 2872 times

Colonel Axolotl

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
I'm a new player: i need some help!
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:07:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

I played LORT TCG when I was little, when the movies came out. I sold my cards back then, but recently I managed to get my hands on some starter decks. I also bought some on Internet, so now, I have all these cards (ranging from sets 1 through 10 mostly, but I have some from set 11 and 13) and I'm looking to play. I read the rules and I understand them pretty well, but I'm struggling to build my deck properly.

I don't to build the ''perfect'' deck, because I only want to play with the cards I have physically. I just want to know the basics, since I can't rely on the lists I found here, which use a lot of cards I don't have.

I know I will get better at this with playing, but I'm being a little overwhelmed by all the information I read here or on the wiki.

So, what I need is some basic information about deck building, with cards from the Movie Block. I'm looking to build 3 or 4 different decks, since I want to play with friends and family (who don't have any cards and don't know how to play... I think you could say I'm a casual player XD). Any advice you can give me is welcomed, and most importantly, any advice on what I should NOT do.

Should I start playing with only cards from the Fellowship block? Or maybe TS would be ok?

Thank you!

April 24, 2017, 06:38:28 AM
Reply #1

Deckhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: I'm a new player: i need some help!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:28 AM »
Generally when you have a small collection of cards you own then you don't need to limit yourself to a certain block or set. My general advice for deckbuilding is don't get carried away and build a huge deck without a way to actually draw most of the cards or you'll get a deck that's spotty at best. Stay within the range of thirty to thirty seven or so cards per side, maybe more if you play something like moria and rohan. Another thing is that you don't really have to bother overly much with culture when building at home unless it gives your deck an edge. One of my best real life decks minion sides is literally all just three cost minions with 7-9 strength and it can beat most of my monoculture fellowships just fine. The main thing is messing around with your own card pool to find your own metagame and what works.
Anyway, I hope this helps, and welcome back to this wonderful game. If you want to play online then there's plenty of people who still use gemp and we'd be happy to have you.

April 24, 2017, 08:36:18 AM
Reply #2

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
Like you, I play with my friends and I am the only one with cards. I built all my decks with 35 cards. So I can schoose any combination I desire or my friends want to play.
For my free peoples decks I try to use 8 strength modifying Events, 4 Conditions, 13 Possessions, 4 Artifacts and 6 Companions. Usually I do not mix cultures.

May 03, 2017, 05:51:10 AM
Reply #3

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:51:10 AM »
Hi! Generally speaking you want a fellowship of max 5 characters. There is movie a lot of big crew hate. Enquea from the first set is the most obvious. The uncommon one. In your case, you are free in the choices you make  since you know your shadow. If you don't have possession hating cultures like dunland and corsairs you are good to go with possessions. Same goes with conditions. If there is no Sarumans power....woo-hoo. Look for a winning condition and try to make it the best as possible. In my opinion focus is the best thing. So if you go for beat down, make the best deck possible. The art is to let some cards go that you love. If they don't fit the deck, than let them go.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...