LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Basic or Intermediate Deckbuilding Resources  (Read 5710 times)

June 27, 2017, 10:08:27 PM
Read 5710 times

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Basic or Intermediate Deckbuilding Resources
« on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Hello!

I'm dipping my toes into this game again, having played very casually back in the day. I've realized I have little idea how to build an effective deck. A comment from ket_the_jet, which I appreciated very much, was particularly telling:

'I would say that the deck, overall, looks like a starter deck but with better cards. Companions, possessions, and pumps will help you survive, but you'll be playing site to site based on the value of the cards in your hand.'

Indeed, boosting the strength of companions by any means available is the only way I have known how to play the game, based on my limited experience. I would like to understand strategy and deckbuilding better, especially before jumping into Gemp play, but I need information. I am wondering if there are any deckbuilding resources extant on the Internet. I have looked through the Cobra Cards article series hosted here but didn't find anything on general deckbuilding.

Alternatively, or additionally, is there a solid deck someone would recommend to me to take into Gemp play to learn the ropes? It doesn't need to be simple; I don't mind learning, I just need to know what to learn, if that makes sense. I would prefer to stick to pre-Shadows cards.

Thank you!

THH

June 28, 2017, 06:12:22 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Basic or Intermediate Deckbuilding Resources
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
Here's my two cents:

- Fellowship and Towers are the easiest formats to get into in my opinion. You can bring your own decks, and even if you lose a lot, it's not necessarily an unrewarding experience. Also, the whole "Starter deck" analogy matters less in these formats than it does in Movie, and significantly less than it does in Expanded (Post-shadows).

- On the other hand, if you want to borrow some decks (There are plenty of good ones on here), then you can probably do that for any format, since you don't need to have any prior knowledge of which counter-cards are necessary.

- Watching games on Gemp can familiarise you with what people will likely use in each format.

- I don't know exactly how people identify strong decks to use, but I know Durin's Heir's Dwarf deck for Fellowship Block is solid. You can find that here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,9055.0.html. The thread for that has a tonne of discussion, so you can get a lot of background for things too if you're unsure how to use it.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

June 28, 2017, 06:55:38 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »
Luckily for you, this question has been asked a great many times.

It depends on the format you are looking to play. Here are a few:

Fellowship Block:
Felipe Musco's Fellowship Block Breakdown <-- Probably the best composite breakdown for beginners.
Top 16 Decks from Worlds 2002

Towers Standard:
Top 2 Decks from Worlds 2003

Movie:
Top 16 Decks from Worlds 2004
hsaile's Breakdown of Common Movie Strategies
sgtdraino's Incomplete Movie Meta Strategy Discussion

Of course. the best way to learn what works and what doesn't is to play. Practice with different strategies and play against different strategies. Learn the meta of your playgroup(S) and understand that there is not one perfect deck (though some are much closer than others). I would recommend spending some time on Gemp to play online. If you see a card you think might be interesting, run a search on these boards (limiting to the Lothlorien sections to just see decks that include them). See how other players use them.

There are many players on these boards who have posted decks with the sole purpose of winning the most games. There are others that have posted decks that are a bit more laissez-faire--play to have fun or to perfect a strategy (looking at you, Lost to the Goblins). There is no reason you cannot do both!

Welcome to the boards, and thank you for the shout-out. I am glad to know that after many years and posts, it is not a complete waste of time for me to continue checking in. I believe it was John Lennon who quipped, "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted."
-wtk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:57:50 AM by ket_the_jet »

June 28, 2017, 01:01:59 PM
Reply #3

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
Thanks, guys. Dictionary, thanks for that characterization of the formats. The earlier formats start to sound more appealing for a beginner. I did start watching some games last night. And thanks for the deck recommendation. Ket_the_jet, thanks for those great resources. Really excellent. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can refer to them again.

July 12, 2017, 08:07:48 AM
Reply #4

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »
Thanks, ket. I think I'm going to send new Gemp players a link to your post, as I get that question almost once a day now.

P.S. Come play King Standard regularly. It's your baby. ;)