LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Coldy Still and Ferny  (Read 11642 times)

October 28, 2008, 03:34:44 PM
Read 11642 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Coldy Still and Ferny
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »
2x Countless Companies (12U58
2x Driven From the Plains (13C87
2x Bold and Cunning (11C71
3x *Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman (15R72
3x *Saruman, Coldly Still (17S48
4x *The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor (12S73
2x Courageous Easterling (15C75
3x Mumak Rider (12R74
4x Vengeful Wild Man (17C63
2x Beast of War (17U40
3x Pavise (11C94
2x War Trident (12C77)   

Awesome deck. I love it. Saruman makes Ferny big, and with enough threats out he is a fierce damage machine! I dont see Driven from the Plains used much, I think its great in here. Make Ferny a nice damage +3/+4 on the ring-bearer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:42:34 PM by TheJord »
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

October 29, 2008, 06:08:23 AM
Reply #1

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
    • nine-walkers 2.0 german
Re: Coldy Still and Ferny
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:23 AM »
this deck is nice, no question... BUT i've got a main problem with all these ferny decks, because what are you going to do if bill ferny gets a wound/exertion. if he does, you cannot assign him to the rb, can you? ok, you may play him from your discard pile with courageous easterling but only if he isn't in the game any more.
so what will you do e.g. against heavy archery/dd -> gandi, PG with spells?! or fighting ringbearers -> knights with 5th level / strong elv comps ..?

how strong gets your ferny if you've got a "normal draw"?

October 29, 2008, 08:42:19 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:42:19 AM »
Needs more Courageous Easterling, IMO, but yeah, that should cover King89's problem.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

October 29, 2008, 08:58:05 AM
Reply #3

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
Agreed. You'll find out Courageous Easterling is your hero. Also 1 more Bill Ferny, AoS does make a difference, cause you'll want to hit early, before they can set up. Also I think stuff like Overrun and Gathering Strength are more efficient in this deck than Driven From the Plains... the RB can take burdens, but can't take being overwhelmed at site three if you play ferny and 3 skirmish events and he doesn't even have a sword. Don't really like the way you built it, don't see a lot of use for Mumak Rider and the +2 from Saruman costs you 4 twilight, while you can play two Overrun for 2 and make him strength +8. I think you should focus on playing Ferny and making him huge, that's the only way you can really win with him, IMO. Played agains Ferny a few times and that's the way they beat me.

October 29, 2008, 09:38:24 AM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »
Yeah, I play my deck with the site control engine. That Hillman dude that eats twilight to make people +4 when you control X sites is insane. That's how I pulled off later game kills, but yeah, Gathering Strength + Ferny @ site 2 usually does it.

Then I played my other one as a Stragglers deck with some Ferny tossed in as an alternate win to slaughtering everyone 1 by 1.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

October 29, 2008, 10:08:16 AM
Reply #5

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
Needs more Courageous Easterling, IMO, but yeah, that should cover King89's problem.

not at all ;) what you gonna against a strengh 40 galadriel / smeagol. or an isildur who makes you strenght minus 10,20,30 ... what ever needed.

the main problem is that i never played against such a deck, so i'm not sure that works effective.

October 29, 2008, 11:06:24 AM
Reply #6

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
dude, first off, no deck is perfect :D u just listed a bunch of decks, it will do fine against some of them and will do awfully against some others.

Heavy archery, you ask? Read pavise and then even if you magically can wound him and get him out, corageous easterling can bring him back untouched :D And archers won't be running enough events to keep your RB protected. Heavey Archery is an easy match-up for this deck if you ask me.

Now about how big he can get, I think 18~20 is the average.

October 29, 2008, 11:13:48 AM
Reply #7

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
:D i know that there isn't  "the perfect deck". but your arguments are good, no question.
i just mentioned e.g. the elves because they are the best fellowship (to my mind) ;)
let's see what thejord will say ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:56:25 AM by King89 »

October 29, 2008, 12:25:36 PM
Reply #8

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »
What about Poleaxe? Seems a very simple way to ensure Ferny is fierce. I see the other ways to do so, but since you're likely going to have some twilight left over anyway....
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

November 01, 2008, 05:02:52 AM
Reply #9

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:02:52 AM »
and what about adding 2 or 3 Furious Hillman (14R10) ?!

November 01, 2008, 05:41:49 AM
Reply #10

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:41:49 AM »
I played this deck against an IB/Elven Telepathy deck, and against Gandalf Men. It gobbled up Gandalf Men but had a tougher time beating the Elves. I knew everyone would get the hate on for Driven from the Plains! People dont expect it, and as there are no new cards you need to do the unexpected.

November 01, 2008, 09:13:47 AM
Reply #11

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
Ferny is one of the best decks out there, King. A well constructed Ferny deck, running on the Pavise + Courageous Easterling engine can usually crunch most decks. The point of Ferny is not to be able to go strength on strength with Isildur, but since the RB usually isn't beefed up until the other fighting companions, it gives a massive surprise kill, or frequently runs over your opponent before he knows what happened.

And Isildur having to fight Ferny repeatedly would be quite a pain, don't you agree? Against the typical Gondor deck, you'll have Ferny fighting him twice a turn, meaning lotsa exertions and burdens. Ferny has shown capable of corrupting ARBs. Galadriel is tough, and the elvents are a pain, but that doesn't mean that the deck should be scrapped because it fails against one deck.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

November 01, 2008, 09:24:52 AM
Reply #12

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »
Ferny is one of the best decks out there, King. A well constructed Ferny deck, running on the Pavise + Courageous Easterling engine can usually crunch most decks. The point of Ferny is not to be able to go strength on strength with Isildur, but since the RB usually isn't beefed up until the other fighting companions, it gives a massive surprise kill, or frequently runs over your opponent before he knows what happened.

And Isildur having to fight Ferny repeatedly would be quite a pain, don't you agree? Against the typical Gondor deck, you'll have Ferny fighting him twice a turn, meaning lotsa exertions and burdens. Ferny has shown capable of corrupting ARBs. Galadriel is tough, and the elvents are a pain, but that doesn't mean that the deck should be scrapped because it fails against one deck.

:D it's ok - i believe what you say, because as i said, i never played against it. i should ask some one in germany to kill me with a ferny deck.

November 19, 2008, 06:51:44 PM
Reply #13

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
Mumak Rider has a point in this deck - Horn decks/Aragorn's Bow/Bracers on Gimli RB etc etc...

Ferny + Beast of War + Pavise at Wold Battlefield on the RB. Damage +1, so he eats some burdens. Fierce skirmish, discard Driven from the Plains and exert him 4 times, he is now damage +8. 10 burdens in one turn?? Is that enough? And with an easy setup.

November 21, 2008, 12:49:31 AM
Reply #14

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
But if you exert Ferny, you cannot assign him yourself anymore. And if you exert him in the first skirmishphase, is he still damage+ when coming back? Isn't it limited to the skirmish he's in?
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...