LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Larry5000 Questions  (Read 26455 times)

August 04, 2017, 01:54:43 PM
Read 26455 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Larry5000 Questions
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
This is a post where Larry5000 can ask rules-based questions.
-wtk

August 11, 2017, 05:44:51 AM
Reply #1

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Larry5000 Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »
Oh, I wish I could still give you a gold coin for this :)

January 03, 2020, 10:11:43 PM
Reply #2

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
If you played Pippin: Mr Took as your first card for your 4 twilight (Game text reading- Play Gandalf or Aragorn; his twilight cost is -2.) and then played Gandalf : Leader of Men which if in your starting fellowship cost -2 would he play for free because of Pippin's game text?

January 03, 2020, 10:33:48 PM
Reply #3

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
No. Pippin's ability is a Fellowship phase ability. The starting fellowship is played before the first Fellowship phase.

January 03, 2020, 11:01:37 PM
Reply #4

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
No. Pippin's ability is a Fellowship phase ability. The starting fellowship is played before the first Fellowship phase.

Oh Darn OK thanks I knew it was to good to be true. :-)

January 03, 2020, 11:10:23 PM
Reply #5

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:10:23 PM »
If I am thinking correctly.. You can start with Gandalf, leader of men and at a later date in the game send him to the dead pile via Sent Back or Saved from the fire and when you bring back a wizard with Sent Back you could then bring back a much better version of Gandalf at that point, is this correct? I know this was discussed before to some degree but I am not sure if that specific thought in mind was mentioned. Thanks.

January 03, 2020, 11:16:56 PM
Reply #6

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 11:16:56 PM »
Another question.... Has anybody used Bree Gate with a Ranger of course, and had Radagast tag along to effectively move to site 5 on your first go around and surviving, rather it was barely or in fairly good health?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:34:11 PM by Larry50001 »

January 04, 2020, 04:43:18 AM
Reply #7

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 04:43:18 AM »
If I am thinking correctly.. You can start with Gandalf, leader of men and at a later date in the game send him to the dead pile via Sent Back or Saved from the fire and when you bring back a wizard with Sent Back you could then bring back a much better version of Gandalf at that point, is this correct? I know this was discussed before to some degree but I am not sure if that specific thought in mind was mentioned. Thanks.

Yes, the wizard that you play with sent back can be a different version than the one in your dead pile
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 04, 2020, 04:49:28 AM
Reply #8

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 04:49:28 AM »
Another question.... Has anybody used Bree Gate with a Ranger of course, and had Radagast tag along to effectively move to site 5 on your first go around and surviving, rather it was barely or in fairly good health?

If you're in a format that uses the fellowship block site-path and allows cards from Reflections, then this would be legal.  I haven't played in any formats like that, so I haven't seen anyone do it.  For your reference, the wiki has a list of cards that add to/subtract from the move limit: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/move_limit?s
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 04, 2020, 10:22:56 AM
Reply #9

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »

If you're in a format that uses the fellowship block site-path and allows cards from Reflections, then this would be legal.  I haven't played in any formats like that, so I haven't seen anyone do it.  For your reference, the wiki has a list of cards that add to/subtract from the move limit: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/move_limit?s

Thank you so much on both questions, much appreciated.

January 04, 2020, 12:24:13 PM
Reply #10

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
On the card "Sorry about Everything" Can you exert the same hobbit more than once to remove 2, 3, burdens or exert different hobbits with the same play of one of these cards?

January 04, 2020, 12:57:17 PM
Reply #11

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 12:57:17 PM »
I might find it before somebody responds  to this, but was there not a page that deals with all of the different cultures possessions and artifacts? I found a list of Classless possessions and artifacts but not the ones that are not classless.

January 04, 2020, 01:54:04 PM
Reply #12

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »
You obey the text of an event one time when you play it, then discard it. If you want to do it again, you'll need to play another event.

The easiest way to get all possessions and artifacts of a culture would be to use gemp's deck builder. Because of it, there's no real reason for anyone to spend time building out those lists for the wiki. For a more advanced card filters, you should download Zorbec's here: http://eric.minet.free.fr/tcgbuilder/dbdownl_en.htm

January 04, 2020, 01:58:46 PM
Reply #13

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Another question/thought
Thrarin, Smith of Erebor Gains Damage + 1 from Artifacts and Possessions Along with that, Proud and Able also gives all dwarfs damage + 1 for all Possessions they bear So for Thrarin it becomes a double dose of damages which can really shoot the strength up with a card like Honed.

So with that said along that thought pattern can a dwarf like Uri also gain double with his game text; he is damage X with (Proud and Able and maybe a Ring) for an exertion he becomes Strength X, pretty much what Honed does for you normally, but can he gain double by using Honed on him?

January 04, 2020, 02:01:31 PM
Reply #14

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
You obey the text of an event one time when you play it, then discard it. If you want to do it again, you'll need to play another event.

The easiest way to get all possessions and artifacts of a culture would be to use gemp's deck builder. Because of it, there's no real reason for anyone to spend time building out those lists for the wiki. For a more advanced card filters, you should download Zorbec's here: http://eric.minet.free.fr/tcgbuilder/dbdownl_en.htm
Thank you will download it.

January 04, 2020, 02:45:03 PM
Reply #15

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
Another question/thought
Thrarin, Smith of Erebor Gains Damage + 1 from Artifacts and Possessions Along with that, Proud and Able also gives all dwarfs damage + 1 for all Possessions they bear So for Thrarin it becomes a double dose of damages which can really shoot the strength up with a card like Honed.

So with that said along that thought pattern can a dwarf like Uri also gain double with his game text; he is damage X with (Proud and Able and maybe a Ring) for an exertion he becomes Strength X, pretty much what Honed does for you normally, but can he gain double by using Honed on him?

He gains "double" in that he gets +X strength from Honed and +X strength from his ability for a total of +2X, but it's better to think of that as two separate strength bonuses. Indeed, you can use his ability as long as he isn't exhausted, so if Uri is Damage +7 you could use his ability twice to give him +(7 + 7) = +14 or play a copy of Honed and use his ability once for the same strength buff to save some vitality.

January 04, 2020, 07:18:48 PM
Reply #16

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
Another question/thought

He gains "double" in that he gets +X strength from Honed and +X strength from his ability for a total of +2X, but it's better to think of that as two separate strength bonuses. Indeed, you can use his ability as long as he isn't exhausted, so if Uri is Damage +7 you could use his ability twice to give him +(7 + 7) = +14 or play a copy of Honed and use his ability once for the same strength buff to save some vitality.

Thanks, I had forgot or not even thought that Uri could do that more than once to himself, actually at his base vitality he could do it 3 times but if you had all 4 copies of Endurance of Dwarves on him and maybe even the Ring of Retribution, he could more or less become the Superman of the Dwarves at least once until he healed back up. But yea I understand using Honed on him to save his vitality anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:31:41 PM by Larry50001 »

January 05, 2020, 01:39:49 AM
Reply #17

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 01:39:49 AM »
Thanks, I had forgot or not even thought that Uri could do that more than once to himself, actually at his base vitality he could do it 3 times but if you had all 4 copies of Endurance of Dwarves on him and maybe even the Ring of Retribution, he could more or less become the Superman of the Dwarves at least once until he healed back up. But yea I understand using Honed on him to save his vitality anyway.
Or you can use Aragorn Defender of Free Peoples + some [Dwarven] tokens (conditions like Suspended Palaces, Stout and Strong or Chamber of Records) to keep Uri healthy after each exertion. ;)

If you're going the Endurance of Dwarves route, beware of condition discard (and Wormtongue), since losing the vitality bonuses can kill him if he's wounded enough. Gimli Feared Axeman can protect your [Dwarven] conditions (while Great Day, Great Hour or Slaked Thirsts can nullify Grima).
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

January 05, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Reply #18

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
Or you can use Aragorn Defender of Free Peoples + some [Dwarven] tokens (conditions like Suspended Palaces, Stout and Strong or Chamber of Records) to keep Uri healthy after each exertion. ;)

If you're going the Endurance of Dwarves route, beware of condition discard (and Wormtongue), since losing the vitality bonuses can kill him if he's wounded enough. Gimli Feared Axeman can protect your [Dwarven] conditions (while Great Day, Great Hour or Slaked Thirsts can nullify Grima).

I was trying to find the best way to heal Uri as much as possible on a consistent bases. I found cards like Still Draws Breath and Dwarven Heart, the latter being one of those cards where you need to remove it before the second half kicks in which Dain Ironfoot seems to handle rather well.

While Grimir can handle getting back Still Draws Breath he can not do anything for Dwarven Heart being as it is a condition. I wish the Dwarfs had something like the Gandalf culture in the form of Fireworks, but I do not see much in the way of retrieving cards back in the Dwarven culture. If anybody knows of anything that would help there let me know please. 

January 05, 2020, 10:40:25 AM
Reply #19

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
Speaking of Grimir, is the only way to heal him and keep him up to date is by using Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad or Elrond, Lord of Rivendell? If there are other ways to do that which are simple I would love to know.

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor He would be a great card to use on a consistent bases in Gandalf decks for retrieving Event Cards but I find no way to keep him going. Elrond can't do anything as he is not a site 3 Ally. He seems useless as a one hit wonder.

January 05, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Reply #20

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
Speaking of Grimir, is the only way to heal him and keep him up to date is by using Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad or Elrond, Lord of Rivendell? If there are other ways to do that which are simple I would love to know.

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor He would be a great card to use on a consistent bases in Gandalf decks for retrieving Event Cards but I find no way to keep him going. Elrond can't do anything as he is not a site 3 Ally. He seems useless as a one hit wonder.

Discard copies of Grimir or Barliman from your hand during your fellowship phase. Each discarded copy is a heal.

January 05, 2020, 01:16:51 PM
Reply #21

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

Discard copies of Grimir or Barliman from your hand during your fellowship phase. Each discarded copy is a heal.
OH OK yea did not think of that.

January 05, 2020, 06:00:14 PM
Reply #22

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
I was trying to find the best way to heal Uri as much as possible on a consistent bases. I found cards like Still Draws Breath and Dwarven Heart, the latter being one of those cards where you need to remove it before the second half kicks in which Dain Ironfoot seems to handle rather well.
You have Axe of Erebor to discard Dwarven Heart too. Shoulder to Shoulder + Elves (preferrably self-healing allies) can heal tons of wounds, though the twilight added can make doublemoving more difficult. Mines of Khazad-Dum + [Dwarven] tales is incredible to keep your Dwarves healed; add Bilbo WSG and Defending the Keep, and you'll be healing your Dwarves while discarding Shadow conditions as a mere byproduct!

Still, to keep Uri healed I insist with Aragorn DoFP, because he heals in the perfect phase. Mines of Khazad-Dum, Dwarven Heart and Courtesy of My Hall work too early (fellowship) and Ring of FuryElrond HtGG and A Royal Welcome too late (regroup) to be perfect. Archery direct exertions (Desert Lord) can exhaust Uri in both cases, while Aragorn will still make Uri's skill useful. You can, of course, mix different healing methods if you wish (that way you won't lose everything if Aragorn is killed/discarded).

Grimir can be healed by Aragorn DoFP too. Or Dwarven Heart. Or Shoulder to Shoulder, I've used that to recycle tons of [Dwarven] events over and over (but keep in mind it'll dilute your Shadow-to-FP ratio in the late game).

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor
With Elves, Barliman can in theory be healed with Master of Healing, but haven't tested it yet to tell you if it's reliable or not. Mithlond can be abused in Expanded (with Traveled Leader and Speak Friend and Enter) to heal your [Gandalf] allies very frequently.

I wish the Dwarfs had something like the Gandalf culture in the form of Fireworks, but I do not see much in the way of retrieving cards back in the Dwarven culture. If anybody knows of anything that would help there let me know please. 
It exists: Storm of Argument. It's a roulette, but seldom will hit 0 and can be recycled by Grimir so both work very well together. It's really great to return to deck spent Hand Axes and Gimli's Helm, or weapons discarded by Cantea LoDG. Or Endurance of Dwarves, Lord of Moria, Flurry of Blows...

To replay [Dwarven] conditions directly there is Defending the Keep as said above, it's a really awesome card. To replay weapons, Beneath the Mountains.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:06:17 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

January 05, 2020, 08:32:56 PM
Reply #23

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
Thanks Durin's Heir many good suggestions there. I liked menace64 answer on dropping cards of the same character to heal them. It was a simple answer and one I forgot about or just thought it could only be done to companions. I need to order some extra copies of Barliman Butterbut, discard them as I get them to heal the original and then use Fireworks to get those cards back to do it all over again.

Yes Grimir is a good one for fetching events I use him allot along with Elrond HtGG to keep him nice and fresh. To bad Endurance of Dwarves is only for Dwarves the other counter parts for Gondorian men and Elves are unique. How often do we catch ourselves playing with an Ent just so we can have Ent Draughts for one more vitality somewhere. The Rohans are the worse on cards giving you more Vitality Short of King Theoden having it a little better with his sword and the Gandalf card Hearken To Me There is only Coif left after that.

January 05, 2020, 08:42:02 PM
Reply #24

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
In anybody's opinion What is the best Dwarf card(S) that can gain a good amount of tokens so that Aragorn DoFP can really benefit from it?

January 06, 2020, 06:44:52 AM
Reply #25

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »
Another question/thought

Yes, if Uri is damage +X, you exert him using his gametext, and you play honed on him, he will be strength +2x

January 06, 2020, 08:52:34 AM
Reply #26

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:34 AM »
Barliman Butterbut

Well if that isn't the best typo I'll see all year...  :lol:

January 07, 2020, 06:45:55 AM
Reply #27

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
Barliman Butterbut

Well if that isn't the best typo I'll see all year...  :lol:
Opps.

January 07, 2020, 07:03:52 AM
Reply #28

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
Was reading a post on  Eomer, Heir to Meduseld. I wanted to ask this on his second half text. Is it safe to say that to get his full benefit of + 1 for each Rohan man spotted... you would half to make sure you resolved all other skirmishes first before him, that way no one else is considered to be in a skirmish at that point in time? This is all assuming that you had assigned others to skirmishes in the first place along with him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:08:00 AM by Larry50001 »

January 07, 2020, 08:04:31 AM
Reply #29

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 08:04:31 AM »
Was reading a post on  Eomer, Heir to Meduseld. I wanted to ask this on his second half text. Is it safe to say that to get his full benefit of + 1 for each Rohan man spotted... you would half to make sure you resolved all other skirmishes first before him, that way no one else is considered to be in a skirmish at that point in time? This is all assuming that you had assigned others to skirmishes in the first place along with him.

Yes, by resolving any other skirmishes first, there will no longer be any other companions assigned to a skirmish

January 07, 2020, 08:09:12 AM
Reply #30

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »

Yes, by resolving any other skirmishes first, there will no longer be any other companions assigned to a skirmish

Cool, thanks.

January 07, 2020, 11:13:50 AM
Reply #31

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »
In anybody's opinion What is the best Dwarf card(S) that can gain a good amount of tokens so that Aragorn DoFP can really benefit from it?
Stout and Strong feels like the most common option in Movie Block. There are other cards, like My Axe Is Notched (helpful if Gimli is your main fighter) and Suspended Palaces, too.

This thread might be the most active of any on the forums in years.
-wtk

January 07, 2020, 06:05:15 PM
Reply #32

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
Stout and Strong feels like the most common option in Movie Block. There are other cards, like My Axe Is Notched (helpful if Gimli is your main fighter) and Suspended Palaces, too.

This thread might be the most active of any on the forums in years.
-wtk

Thanks Ket, is it probably do to the fact I ask a fair amount of questions and they all get answered all in the same area instead of separately like I use to do it.  Thank you for those card choices I will look them over.

January 07, 2020, 06:20:17 PM
Reply #33

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
Question on Stout and Strong: The later part of the game text says: Make an unbound companion strength +1 for each [Dwarven] token here (limit +3). Discard this condition. If my purpose for wanting the tokens on this card or others was to make use of Aragorn DoFP game text when it comes to the Dwarf part (Skirmish: Remove a [Dwarven] token to heal a Dwarf.); If that is all i am using it for and not its own game text can I just leave the card sit there and continue to build up the tokens and remove them as necessarily by Aragorn's game text.
Because they are both Skirmish plays, even tho I would not be using it for it own game text I did not know if it took effect anyway and I had to discard it regardless. Hope I explained it well?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:59:37 PM by Larry50001 »

January 07, 2020, 07:04:37 PM
Reply #34

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:37 PM »
Speaking of Aragorn DoFP: His first game text (Skirmish: Remove an [Elven] token to make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -3.) can you do that more than once per turn, remove 2 tokens to make it -6.. 3 tokens to make it - 9 and so on?

January 07, 2020, 07:15:34 PM
Reply #35

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
I just realized after all of this time that Citadel of the Stars is unique so I guess that means that I can only have just one copy of that Fortification out in my support area at any given time, until it goes onto a minion and then into the discard pile? Nice card for knight decks. I just got in after all of this time Fifth Level so I will be using some of those.

January 07, 2020, 07:56:22 PM
Reply #36

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »
The Companion Anarion Works great especially if you can produce enough Vitality on him. All I can think of is Ranger's Cloak and The Saga of Elendil am I missing anything to give him even more vitality? Was just thinking of Ent Draught if you want to take the time to play an Ent in your deck.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:00:13 PM by Larry50001 »

January 07, 2020, 09:08:23 PM
Reply #37

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:23 PM »
Question on Stout and Strong: The later part of the game text says: Make an unbound companion strength +1 for each [Dwarven] token here (limit +3). Discard this condition. If my purpose for wanting the tokens on this card or others was to make use of Aragorn DoFP game text when it comes to the Dwarf part (Skirmish: Remove a [Dwarven] token to heal a Dwarf.); If that is all i am using it for and not its own game text can I just leave the card sit there and continue to build up the tokens and remove them as necessarily by Aragorn's game text.

Yes, and you would be commended for doing so.

Speaking of Aragorn DoFP: His first game text (Skirmish: Remove an Elven token to make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -3.) can you do that more than once per turn, remove 2 tokens to make it -6.. 3 tokens to make it - 9 and so on?

Yes. DoFP is a beast.

January 07, 2020, 09:28:02 PM
Reply #38

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »

Yes, and you would be commended for doing so.

Speaking of Aragorn DoFP: His first game text (Skirmish: Remove an Elven token to make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -3.) can you do that more than once per turn, remove 2 tokens to make it -6.. 3 tokens to make it - 9 and so on?

Yes. DoFP is a beast.

Thank you for answering those particular questions for me.

January 07, 2020, 09:36:07 PM
Reply #39

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
There are many Fortifications that do various things, some lower strength, while others do Vitality, some do both and some extend range to make a minion roam longer. What can some tell me are their best ones? I have been looking at fourth level as it totally exhaust a minion and once he is exhausted one more wound from any card that gives him a wound will then kill him completely?

January 07, 2020, 11:02:09 PM
Reply #40

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »
Sorry if this question was asked before. Anduril Flame of the West says: Bearer must be Aragorn. Discard any other weapon he bears. He is damage +1 and cannot bear other weapons.   Knife of the Galadhrim says: If bearer is Aragorn, he may bear this hand weapon in addition to 1 other hand weapon. So which card wins out and I suppose why?

Obviously it would be nice if Knife of the Galadhrim won out so that we could have Strength + 1 anyway and maybe for that matter Flaming Brand.  But if Anduril Flame of the West wins out I would just like to know why, maybe I am missing something obvious.

January 07, 2020, 11:54:13 PM
Reply #41

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 11:54:13 PM »
I can only answer intuitively (ie: without a source) when I say that Anduril's text wins, since the only way to satisfy both weapons is by only bearing Anduril. Someone else will be along to verify my answer, but I'd like to share a bit of an ancient anecdote your question brought to my mind. This was right after Mines of Moria released as Dwarves started coming into their own. The rules question of my local playing group was whether a companion could bear 3+ copies of Hand Axe at the same time. For a while we were playing its text cumulatively, leading to outrageous Dwarves with 4x Endurance of Dwarves, 4x Hand Axe, and a Dwarven Axe on top because from a certain point of view the whole thing made sense.

Durin's Bane never stood a chance.

January 08, 2020, 12:14:51 AM
Reply #42

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 12:14:51 AM »
I can only answer intuitively (ie: without a source) when I say that Anduril's text wins, since the only way to satisfy both weapons is by only bearing Anduril. Someone else will be along to verify my answer, but I'd like to share a bit of an ancient anecdote your question brought to my mind. This was right after Mines of Moria released as Dwarves started coming into their own. The rules question of my local playing group was whether a companion could bear 3+ copies of Hand Axe at the same time. For a while we were playing its text cumulatively, leading to outrageous Dwarves with 4x Endurance of Dwarves, 4x Hand Axe, and a Dwarven Axe on top because from a certain point of view the whole thing made sense.

Interesting I suppose about the hand axe thinking that the first one was borne from having the main Axe and then the second one was Borne from the first hand axe and the third one was borne from the second hand axe if that was your thought pattern on that.  but with the strength of what the dwarves can muster using cards like Proud and Able and Honed, Durin's Bane or any other large creature for that matter don't really stand a chance ever. :-)  Will have to see what others say on my post as well, thank you.

January 08, 2020, 03:33:13 AM
Reply #43

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 03:33:13 AM »
Anduril Flame of the West "wins out".  Weapons like knife of the galadhrim and flaming brand create exceptions to the rule that a character can only bear 1 card of each class (1 hand weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 armor, etc).  The reason that Aragorn with AFotW can't bear other weapons isn't just that each class slot is full, it's that AFotW explicitly prevents him from bearing other weapons.  That's why he can't bear a ranged weapon, even though he has an open slot for one.

January 08, 2020, 06:27:47 AM
Reply #44

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 06:27:47 AM »
Anduril Flame of the West "wins out".  Weapons like knife of the galadhrim and flaming brand create exceptions to the rule that a character can only bear 1 card of each class (1 hand weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 armor, etc).  The reason that Aragorn with AFotW can't bear other weapons isn't just that each class slot is full, it's that AFotW explicitly prevents him from bearing other weapons.  That's why he can't bear a ranged weapon, even though he has an open slot for one.
Well ain't that a kick in the pants... oh well I was hoping Knife of the Galadhrim would have been an exception to the rule of Flame of the West lol. Thanks.

January 08, 2020, 06:32:56 AM
Reply #45

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 06:32:56 AM »

Per the rules, each character can bear one class of possession or artifact at a time.  

Quote from: Comprehensive Rules 4.0 - Class
Each character may bear one possession or
artifact of each class at one time. For example, a character may bear only one hand weapon, only
one ranged weapon, only one armor, only one cloak, and only one staff.
Some possessions and artifacts do not have a class. There is no limit to the number of cards without a class that a character may bear.
The text of hand axe (and Knife of the Galadhrim, Flaming brand etc) creates an exception to allow one other hand weapon to a maximum of 2, regardless of how many copies of the text you have.

January 08, 2020, 07:50:41 AM
Reply #46

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
 Pengedhel, Naith Warrior gets a + 2 strength bonus if bearing a range weapon, but goes on to say he does not add to the fellowship archery total. So to be sure my question is: If the range weapon he bears is an Elven Bow which would then make him an archer do we not get to count that archer as a +1 archer for the total archery count?

January 08, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
Reply #47

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2020, 08:39:09 AM »
Pengedhel, Naith Warrior gets a + 2 strength bonus if bearing a range weapon, but goes on to say he does not add to the fellowship archery total. So to be sure my question is: If the range weapon he bears is an Elven Bow which would then make him an archer do we not get to count that archer as a +1 archer for the total archery count?

Right, if he bears a ranged weapon, he gets a strength bonus but doesn't add to the fellowship archery total.  A better choice for him than Elven Bow is Naith Longbow, which gives even more strength.

January 08, 2020, 08:46:17 AM
Reply #48

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 08:46:17 AM »
Right, if he bears a ranged weapon, he gets a strength bonus but doesn't add to the fellowship archery total.  A better choice for him than Elven Bow is Naith Longbow, which gives even more strength.

OK then I was not sure if I was missing something so if that is the case you are right  Naith Longbow is a much better choice I was looking at that also.

January 11, 2020, 02:04:37 AM
Reply #49

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »
I had to re-sign up for Gemp as I saw no way to request my password. Since it has been forever since I was on Gemp (really never to play at all)  I could not remember to much of how things operated. A couple of questions, do they give you all the cards or do you have to buy them or buy just certain ones or what?  2) Once you are in there for the first time where is it best to start. I am asking also for a couple of my friends here locally as they may be interested to check it out, however if there is cost involved to have to purchase cards, I am not sure they would like to do that as they have spent way to much on the physical cards over the years and now money needs to go to more important life happening moments. While I still purchase some physical cards from different places (the cheaper ones, not the ones they are asking outrageous money for one card) I too am not in a position to be buying more in Gemp either should that be the case. Thanks in advance for more specifics on Gemp.

January 11, 2020, 02:52:26 AM
Reply #50

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 02:52:26 AM »
Gemp is free as a bird, my fellow! You are given all cards to play and build decks. (Even some Fan Made formats, like the Second Edition and the Hobbit Draft Game!)

There is some vitual currency to play leagues and compete, but has no relation with anything in the real world (it isn't bought, you start with 200 gold pieces, and each week you get 50 more). You can purchase cards in the Merchant but there's no need at all to do so anymore. The Leagues that used cards of your "My Cards" collection are no longer done (and won't return). So just build and play, my fellow!

Best format to start? Fellowship Block. Fewer cards, combos and rules. Ask for help in the Game Hall chat (the place where you start after login) if you need, and ask your opponent for patience and say you're a beginner in Gemp's interface. Be polite, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:55:25 AM by Durin's Heir »

January 11, 2020, 03:08:28 AM
Reply #51

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 03:08:28 AM »
Gemp is free as a bird, my fellow! You are given all cards to play and build decks. (Even some Fan Made formats, like the Second Edition and the Hobbit Draft Game!)

There is some vitual currency to play leagues and compete, but has no relation with anything in the real world (it isn't bought, you start with 200 gold pieces, and each week you get 50 more). You can purchase cards in the Merchant but there's no need at all to do so anymore. The Leagues that used cards of your "My Cards" collection are no longer done (and won't return). So just build and play, my fellow!

Best format to start? Fellowship Block. Fewer cards, combos and rules. Ask for help in the Game Hall chat (the place where you start after login) if you need, and ask your opponent for patience and say you're a beginner in Gemp's interface. Be polite, and enjoy!

OK Thanks Durins Heir. One other question in thought, you say they give you all the cards from all the sets so you are not missing anything, does that include up to 4 copies of each card? Some cards you may want to have 4 copies of a particular card, just wanted to know that for sure. Also you mentioned still receiving gold pieces 200 to start and 50 after that each week .. if there is really no need to use the virtual gold to buy the cards what is the advantage of doing so, anything?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:10:10 AM by Larry50001 »

January 11, 2020, 03:21:21 AM
Reply #52

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:21 AM »
Is Faramir, Bearer of Quality skirmish game text all most like having a built in make a minion roaming feature? Something you might find useful if you still need them roaming towards sites 7, 8, or maybe for sure 9 Keeping those good Fortifications going for them. Or cards that reduce a roaming minion's strength.

January 11, 2020, 03:27:07 AM
Reply #53

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2020, 03:27:07 AM »
The card Armor of the White City makes a Gondor man a knight, is there a card similar to that, that makes a Gondor man a ranger?

January 11, 2020, 04:00:18 AM
Reply #54

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:18 AM »
Is Faramir, Bearer of Quality skirmish game text all most like having a built in make a minion roaming feature? Something you might find useful if you still need them roaming towards sites 7, 8, or maybe for sure 9 Keeping those good Fortifications going for them. Or cards that reduce a roaming minion's strength.

Yes, he can make minions roaming regardless of site number, even at site 9.

January 11, 2020, 04:00:43 AM
Reply #55

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:43 AM »
The card Armor of the White City makes a Gondor man a knight, is there a card similar to that, that makes a Gondor man a ranger?

Nope

January 11, 2020, 05:03:53 AM
Reply #56

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 05:03:53 AM »
Thank you Air Power for your answers.

January 11, 2020, 05:07:51 AM
Reply #57

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07:51 AM »
Just to be sure of this: When a card calls for a Skirmish Event to be played, that can either be a card (in the middle) so marked Skirmish-Event or a card marked Event (in the middle) with the Bold Keyword Skirmish in the text below, is that correct?

January 11, 2020, 05:20:02 AM
Reply #58

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 05:20:02 AM »
Is there any site one cards that generically bring out a Gondor man in general? I know of the one that brings out a ranger, or brings out a card that has the Aragorn Signet.

January 11, 2020, 12:14:45 PM
Reply #59

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
Just to be sure of this: When a card calls for a Skirmish Event to be played, that can either be a card (in the middle) so marked Skirmish-Event or a card marked Event (in the middle) with the Bold Keyword Skirmish in the text below, is that correct?

Yes. Exact same thing, just a slight change in presentation.

January 11, 2020, 12:54:16 PM
Reply #60

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Yes. Exact same thing, just a slight change in presentation.

Thank you

January 11, 2020, 01:19:31 PM
Reply #61

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
How exactly does Ancient Blade work? it says: Bearer must be an [Elven] companion. Each minion gains this ability: 'Assignment: Assign this minion to bearer of Ancient Blade.' Regroup: Discard this condition to discard a minion and reconcile your hand.

So if there is 2 or more minions played and they all gain that text your opponent has no choice but to play all minions on the bearer of Ancient Blade, or if not your opponent you do. Sorry to be so confused on this card.

January 12, 2020, 05:08:09 AM
Reply #62

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 05:08:09 AM »
How exactly does Ancient Blade work? it says: Bearer must be an [Elven] companion. Each minion gains this ability: 'Assignment: Assign this minion to bearer of Ancient Blade.' Regroup: Discard this condition to discard a minion and reconcile your hand.

So if there is 2 or more minions played and they all gain that text your opponent has no choice but to play all minions on the bearer of Ancient Blade, or if not your opponent you do. Sorry to be so confused on this card.

TLDR: the shadow players may assign any 1 minion to skirmish the bearer of ancient blade, then assignments happen as normal.

From the Comprehensive Rules: "Many assignment actions assign a minion to a companion. You cannot do this unless both of them are unassigned."

The way the assignment phase works in general is this:
1. Players take turns using assignment actions on their cards
2. FP player assigns unassigned minions  to unassigned companions (or allies at their home site).  If any character is defender +X, they can be assigned up to X additional minions beyond the first
3. The shadow player(S) assign any remaining unassigned minions to companions (or allies at their home site)

Special abilities are optional, so the shadow player could choose not to use the special ability that Ancient Blade gives their minions.  If the shadow player uses the ability on minion 1, then they can't use it on minion 2 because by that time the bearer of ancient blade is already assigned to a skirmish.  If the shadow player doesn't use an assignment action to assign a minion to the bearer (or if the bearer is defender +X), then the FP can assign that companion as normal.  If there are leftover minions after the FP player finishes assigning, then the shadow player can assign them wherever they want to, including ganging up on the ring-bearer or the bearer of Ancient Blade.

January 12, 2020, 05:17:21 AM
Reply #63

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 05:17:21 AM »
OK thank you so much Air Power.

January 15, 2020, 03:01:32 AM
Reply #64

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2020, 03:01:32 AM »
Am I thinking right here, that a good combination of Gamling Warrior of Rohan and Surrendered weapons is a good combination. Say you give Gamling a Sword for a + 2 bonus which then becomes a total of + 4 because of the weapons bonus as well. Since you can only have one hand weapon at a time you use Surrendered Weapons 2nd half game text, play 1 and transfer that sword off of him to somebody else. Then play another 1 and either transfer that sword back to him or pick a different hand weapon like a spear and transfer that to him giving him again + 2 and ultimately + 4 so as the strength keeps climbing. Not to mention adding say a range weapons for +1 for another total of + 3 and so on?

To my knowledge there is no limit to how many times you can keep adding 1 to the twilight pool to keep transferring between Rohan men in one turn?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:06:29 AM by Larry50001 »

January 15, 2020, 03:22:27 AM
Reply #65

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2020, 03:22:27 AM »
Speaking of Gamling Warrior of Rohan The write up says that with the proper set up during the maneuver phase you can make him defender + 1, what card or cards can do this during the maneuver phase?

January 15, 2020, 03:30:18 AM
Reply #66

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2020, 03:30:18 AM »
This doesn't work as well as you're thinking.

1.  Transferring a possession is not playing a possession.
2.  Even if it was, actions happen 1 at a time.  Gamling Warrior of Rohan and Surrendered weapons each give you 2 separate skirmish actions.  You can't do both at the same time.

If you have a bunch of skirmish weapons in hand, the best you could do is use Gamling's ability to play a weapon on him, then use Surrendered weapons to transfer it to another eligible bearer, then use Gamling's ability to play a weapon on him, etc until you run out of weapons in hand

January 15, 2020, 03:36:14 AM
Reply #67

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2020, 03:36:14 AM »
Speaking of Gamling Warrior of Rohan The write up says that with the proper set up during the maneuver phase you can make him defender + 1, what card or cards can do this during the maneuver phase?

It probably means No Rest for the Weary, since that came from the same set as Gamling.

In the wiki, you can click on defender +1, and it takes you to a page that lists all cards that have or give defender bonuses.  There are other Rohan cards from later sets that could work too

January 15, 2020, 04:00:31 AM
Reply #68

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2020, 04:00:31 AM »
You can use Rohirrim Scout or Armory to get part of those possessions back into hand. The Scout is good for a regroup move, but if you won't move again those possessions will be clogging your hand so that must be considered.

January 15, 2020, 07:07:06 AM
Reply #69

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »
Thanks guys for your answers.

January 15, 2020, 08:07:24 AM
Reply #70

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2020, 08:07:24 AM »
Wielder of the Flame can also give Gamling, Warrior of Rohan the defender bonus in the Movie Block set of cards.

Outside of Movie Block, Protecting the Hall, Spear of the Mark, Rohirrim Mount, and Burial Mounds can also provide a defender bonus to Gamling, Warrior of Rohan.
-wtk

January 15, 2020, 08:59:48 AM
Reply #71

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
Wielder of the Flame can also give Gamling, Warrior of Rohan the defender bonus in the Movie Block set of cards.

Outside of Movie Block, Protecting the Hall, Spear of the Mark, Rohirrim Mount, and Burial Mounds can also provide a defender bonus to Gamling, Warrior of Rohan.
-wtk
Thanks Ket, the first one in my case would not work because I am not using Gandalf to spot him, but the rest have merit.

January 15, 2020, 09:05:11 AM
Reply #72

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 09:05:11 AM »
How does Gamling Warrior of Rohan circumvent the one type of possession rule? Is it because you are playing the possession on him during the skirmish phase and not fellowship and the fact you can discard the possession after it is over ie: the helm and I suppose also the shield?

January 15, 2020, 09:19:34 AM
Reply #73

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
Without using Gandalf for cards like Grown Suddenly Tall Or Sleep, Caradhras or Gandor men for cards like Athelas, does the Rohan culture have anything that can remove or heal cards like Black Breath or Blade Tip or any other minion devastating cards of the like.

I think I may have found a card in answer to my question but if there are others please let me know. The card is: Let Us Be Swift.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:55:24 AM by Larry50001 »

January 15, 2020, 10:06:35 AM
Reply #74

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
How does Gamling Warrior of Rohan circumvent the one type of possession rule?
You can transfer possessions the following Fellowship phase to appropriate companions or allies (if at that ally's home site). Surrendered Weapons allows you to do something similar, but in the skirmish phase.

Premise. Gamling, Warrior of Rohan and Elite Rider are in play with no possessions.
Step 1: Gamling is strength 6. Use his skirmish ability to play a Rider's Spear on Gamling. He is now strength 8 holding the spear, and strength +2 because of the ability, meaning he is strength 10.
Step 2: Use Surrendered Weapons to transfer the Rider's Spear to Elite Rider. Gamling is now strength 8 (because of the loss of the spear's +2) but still maintains the +2 from the previous use of the skirmish ability.
Step 3: Use Gamling's text again to play a second Rider's Spear from hand. Gamling, who was strength 8, is now strength 12. He is also damage +2.

As to your second question, Let Us Be Swift and Fortress Never Fallen are Rohan's best bets to remove conditions.
-wtk

January 15, 2020, 10:18:40 AM
Reply #75

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
Thank you Ket. This may have been ask before but that particular condition Fortress Never Fallen Even tho you could stack many tokens on it; but when do you have to discard it? If there are say 4 tokens on it but you only use two of them do you still have to discard it regardless, even if some tokens remain?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:27:59 AM by Larry50001 »

January 15, 2020, 10:44:16 AM
Reply #76

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
Discarding the condition is part of the regroup action.  Unless individual parts of an action say something like "you may", you will have to do all parts that you're able to.

January 15, 2020, 10:58:06 AM
Reply #77

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Discarding the condition is part of the regroup action.  Unless individual parts of an action say something like "you may", you will have to do all parts that you're able to.

Ok but for sure you do not have to even think of discarding it until you at least use 1 to how many other tokens off of it, right?

January 16, 2020, 03:38:13 PM
Reply #78

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
No matter how many tokens are "used" to discard your opponent's conditions, all remaining tokens and the copy of Fortress Never Fallen are discarded from play.

Premise: Fortress Never Fallen in play with three tokens; Your opponent has two Goblin Armory.
Regroup Action: Use Fortress Never Fallen to discard shadow conditions. You can discard three total shadow conditions, but discard only the two that are in play. The token goes unused. You discard Fortress Never Fallen per its game text.

Cheers,
-wtk

January 16, 2020, 03:57:00 PM
Reply #79

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
No matter how many tokens are "used" to discard your opponent's conditions, all remaining tokens and the copy of Fortress Never Fallen are discarded from play.

Premise: Fortress Never Fallen in play with three tokens; Your opponent has two Goblin Armory.
Regroup Action: Use Fortress Never Fallen to discard shadow conditions. You can discard three total shadow conditions, but discard only the two that are in play. The token goes unused. You discard Fortress Never Fallen per its game text.

Cheers,
-wtk
Ok then I guess it is best to use it all up, if there are 3 players involved use two on one opponent and one on another. While I only have one copy I guess if you had more you could play another copy whenever.

January 16, 2020, 04:48:18 PM
Reply #80

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
Honestly, you just have to use your best judgment. If you are playing Moria and have eight tokens and they only have one Goblin Armory, sure, it's fine to wait. If you are playing Moria and have eight tokens and they only have one Goblin Swarms with twelve stacked minions, then you bet your #$&*@! you'd use Fortress Never Fallen.
-wtk

January 17, 2020, 04:07:50 PM
Reply #81

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
Thanks Ket

January 17, 2020, 04:24:57 PM
Reply #82

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
Here is a Knight/Fortification question: For cards like Fifth Level where bearer is strength - 1 for each fortification you can spot; if say 1 or more fortifications are already on minions (the ones you can play during the maneuver phase) you can count them as being spotted as well as the ones still down in your support area correct?

Also In the general strategy write up it says: Unlike previous fortifications that transfer during the maneuver phase, Fifth Level can be transferred from minion to minion at will. Not sure I totally understand this? I suppose during the maneuver phase if you already transfer a Fifth Level to a minion you could instantly transfer it to a different minion but what is the purpose of that? Obviously you put it on a certain minion in the first place for a reason why transfer to a different one right away?  The only thing I can think of, if it is possible to do, is for a card like Turgon.  Exert Turgon to wound a minion bearing a [Gondor] fortification. While STILL in the maneuver phase transfer Fifth level to a new minion and repeat with Turgon and so on if Turgon has enough vitality?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:40:26 PM by Larry50001 »

January 17, 2020, 07:05:26 PM
Reply #83

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
Besides certain fortifications is there another card similar to While we yet live that reduces a minion's strength in a Skirmish Event,  I keep thinking there is but I might be just imagining it

January 18, 2020, 12:19:48 AM
Reply #84

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
On the Card Fallen Lord I am going to assume that Gimli Bearer of Grudges cannot serve double duty as the Ring Bearer and a Dwarf both, or would I be wrong?

January 18, 2020, 03:42:43 AM
Reply #85

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2020, 03:42:43 AM »
Here is a Knight/Fortification question: For cards like Fifth Level where bearer is strength - 1 for each fortification you can spot; if say 1 or more fortifications are already on minions (the ones you can play during the maneuver phase) you can count them as being spotted as well as the ones still down in your support area correct?

Yes, you can spot your fortifications in the support area and on minions.

Also In the general strategy write up it says: Unlike previous fortifications that transfer during the maneuver phase, Fifth Level can be transferred from minion to minion at will. Not sure I totally understand this? I suppose during the maneuver phase if you already transfer a Fifth Level to a minion you could instantly transfer it to a different minion but what is the purpose of that? Obviously you put it on a certain minion in the first place for a reason why transfer to a different one right away?  The only thing I can think of, if it is possible to do, is for a card like Turgon.  Exert Turgon to wound a minion bearing a [Gondor] fortification. While STILL in the maneuver phase transfer Fifth level to a new minion and repeat with Turgon and so on if Turgon has enough vitality?

The earlier maneuver fortifications specified that they transferred "from you support area to a minion".  Fifth level doesn't have the "from you support area" part of the text, so it is allowed to transfer from one minion to another.  Scenario: shadow has 2 minions with 2 vitality.  FP spots knights, transfers fifth level to minion A, exerts Turgon to wound minion A.  Spots knights, transfers fifth level to minion B, exerts Turgon to wound minion B.

January 18, 2020, 03:46:12 AM
Reply #86

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2020, 03:46:12 AM »
Besides certain fortifications is there another card similar to While we yet live that reduces a minion's strength in a Skirmish Event,  I keep thinking there is but I might be just imagining it

There are many cards that reduce strength, several are events.  Read through http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/list_of_strength_cards

January 18, 2020, 03:48:23 AM
Reply #87

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2020, 03:48:23 AM »
On the Card Fallen Lord I am going to assume that Gimli Bearer of Grudges cannot serve double duty as the Ring Bearer and a Dwarf both, or would I be wrong?

If he's bearing the one ring, then he is both the ring-bearer and a dwarf, so he could take both exertions to boost his own strength.

January 18, 2020, 06:15:04 AM
Reply #88

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2020, 06:15:04 AM »
The Highest Quality is the only Skirmish event that fits. Eregion's Trails would but is at Maneuver. Or City Wall as a fortification.

January 18, 2020, 06:16:08 AM
Reply #89

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2020, 06:16:08 AM »
That is great news Air Power on Gimli BoG taking both. And thank you for the other replies as well.

January 18, 2020, 06:25:24 AM
Reply #90

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 06:25:24 AM »

The Highest Quality is the only Skirmish event that fits. Eregion's Trails would but is at Maneuver. Or City Wall as a fortification.
I seen that Durin much later after I posted my question, never knew about that one. seems like a great one if you do not mine the exertion or more. You world have to do at least 2 I believe to get up to 12 total.

January 18, 2020, 06:37:45 AM
Reply #91

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2020, 06:37:45 AM »
Yes, The Highest Quality requires you to keep wounds under control, so you can use things like Citadel of Minas Tirith or Houses of Healing to do so. You need to also keep burdens (and resistance modifiers) at bay.

But is worthy, yes it is! You can overwhelm a Balrog or Witch-king with a bunch of exertions.

January 18, 2020, 07:31:54 AM
Reply #92

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
Cool

January 19, 2020, 02:56:38 AM
Reply #93

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2020, 02:56:38 AM »
Is drawing a card for each possession played restricted to just Gimli Opinionated Guide on him only OR to whoever you play a possession on while he is in play?

January 19, 2020, 07:20:57 AM
Reply #94

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2020, 07:20:57 AM »
Unrestricted. The possession can enter play anywhere to trigger Gimli's effect. Just keep in mind that the rule of 4 would apply to drawing cards during the fellowship phase.

January 19, 2020, 09:19:07 AM
Reply #95

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Unrestricted. The possession can enter play anywhere to trigger Gimli's effect. Just keep in mind that the rule of 4 would apply to drawing cards during the fellowship phase.
Thank you so much.

January 20, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
Reply #96

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2020, 07:42:34 AM »
To be sure...Is the only time you can play the card Our Time is during the fellowship phase? Then when you add the 4 twilight back into the pool on the maneuver phase then you must discard the card from the game, so not to the discard pile but the game period no getting this card back at all other then other copies you may still have?

Also if you are moving on, on turn two since there is technically no Fellowship phase for the free people then a copy of Our Time could NOT be used in that turn, correct?

January 20, 2020, 08:29:10 AM
Reply #97

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
With the card Moment of Respite, you may discard 2 cards from hand to heal Gandalf. If you wanted to, could you discard 4 cards from hand to heal him twice?

January 20, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
Reply #98

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »
For Our Time, what other interpretation is there?

For Moment of Respite, look at a similar effect in a card that may be more familiar, such as Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim. How does that card work?

January 20, 2020, 10:01:50 PM
Reply #99

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
Well on Grey Pilgrim it does have the key word May just like Moment of Respite but it is more straight forward, on Moment of Respite if you want to go forward with the deal you need to discard two cards, so that is why I was wondering if discarding 4 cards would allow him to heal twice?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:03:40 PM by Larry50001 »

January 20, 2020, 10:49:37 PM
Reply #100

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »
May is not a keyword. May is an indicator of option: you may do this action, or you may not.

If any game text is written without a Phase: preface, it can only be used once-per-whatever and limited to your ability to pay any costs listed. A card like Moment of Respite only ever triggers once per turn. There is only one one start-of-the-regroup-phase moment per turn, meaning Moment of Respite can only trigger once per turn.

January 20, 2020, 11:14:30 PM
Reply #101

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
May is not a keyword. May is an indicator of option: you may do this action, or you may not.

If any game text is written without a Phase: preface, it can only be used once-per-whatever and limited to your ability to pay any costs listed. A card like Moment of Respite only ever triggers once per turn. There is only one one start-of-the-regroup-phase moment per turn, meaning Moment of Respite can only trigger once per turn.
So to be sure, in that once per turn I can't do/discard 4 cards to heal twice  only 2 cards to heal once?

January 20, 2020, 11:24:28 PM
Reply #102

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2020, 11:24:28 PM »
Any triggered ability (anything without a Phase precursor) can only ever trigger once. Imagine a gun with one bullet in it: each "at the start of..." or "when..." text only fires once.

Moment of Respite can ONLY be activated once per turn, since the moment of "the start of the regroup phase" only happens once per turn - unless you move more than once, of course.

January 20, 2020, 11:30:50 PM
Reply #103

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
OK thank you Menace64

January 21, 2020, 03:29:51 AM
Reply #104

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2020, 03:29:51 AM »
Any triggered ability (anything without a Phase precursor) can only ever trigger once. Imagine a gun with one bullet in it: each "at the start of..." or "when..." text only fires once.

Moment of Respite can ONLY be activated once per turn, since the moment of "the start of the regroup phase" only happens once per turn - unless you move more than once, of course.

Not quite: the card can only be activated once per regroup phase, but the regroup phase can happen multiple times if the fellowship moves multiple times.

January 21, 2020, 12:12:27 PM
Reply #105

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2020, 12:12:27 PM »
Of course, there is one more that is a big one, presuming you have Gandalf. Servant of the Secret Fire is the O.G. strength depressing event.
-wtk

January 23, 2020, 07:21:09 PM
Reply #106

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2020, 07:21:09 PM »
To be sure, cards like Guidance of the Istari when needing to spot Gandalf men can the ally men be considered for spotting even if you are not at their home site.

January 23, 2020, 11:51:32 PM
Reply #107

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2020, 11:51:32 PM »
You can spot all active cards. Since your allies are active on your turn, you can spot them for whatever you want.

January 24, 2020, 04:34:43 AM
Reply #108

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2020, 04:34:43 AM »
You can spot all active cards. Since your allies are active on your turn, you can spot them for whatever you want.
Thank you so much.

January 24, 2020, 07:42:46 AM
Reply #109

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
That anybody knows about, is there any dwarf cards that can remove burdens by what ever means. ie: winning a skirmish or other means?

January 24, 2020, 07:48:44 AM
Reply #110

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »
Like the game text of Gimli, Feared Axeman where he can protect a condition in play, is there any other type of Dwarf cards that could essentially do the same thing, protect a condition in play?

January 24, 2020, 11:26:21 AM
Reply #111

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »
Dwarves have no burden removal. The closest thing is Extraordinary Resilience, which can be used by any Ring-bearer of any race or culture. Otherwise, they have to associate with another culture. Elf-song and Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom can use allies (and Tom Bombadil is one), in case you don't want to use companion slots in your fellowship.

Songs of the Blessed Realm can trigger with Hosts of the Last Alliance or Beren and Luthien, none of which needs an Elf in play at all, so that combo can be splashed in any deck, though needs many card slots.

Feared Axeman is the only card of that kind for Dwarves.

January 24, 2020, 01:00:02 PM
Reply #112

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »
Dwarves have no burden removal. The closest thing is Extraordinary Resilience, which can be used by any Ring-bearer of any race or culture. Otherwise, they have to associate with another culture. Elf-song and Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom can use allies (and Tom Bombadil is one), in case you don't want to use companion slots in your fellowship.

Songs of the Blessed Realm can trigger with Hosts of the Last Alliance or Beren and Luthien, none of which needs an Elf in play at all, so that combo can be splashed in any deck, though needs many card slots.

Feared Axeman is the only card of that kind for Dwarves.
Thanks Durin..Yea I probably would be playing with an elf ally so some of that might work well, thank you so much.

January 24, 2020, 02:09:10 PM
Reply #113

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:10 PM »
If you was to transfer Still Twitching to another Dwarf Companion and that Companion has a copy of Still Twitching on him already would that make him Hunter 4

January 24, 2020, 02:55:48 PM
Reply #114

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
If you was to transfer Still Twitching to another Dwarf Companion and that Companion has a copy of Still Twitching on him already would that make him Hunter 4
Yes.
-wtk

January 25, 2020, 09:58:02 PM
Reply #115

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2020, 09:58:02 PM »
If you have an Elven Bow on Rumil, Brother of Haldir that makes him an archer and you do his game text where the card revealed also makes him an archer do you in fact gain two archery at that time?

January 26, 2020, 05:32:53 AM
Reply #116

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2020, 05:32:53 AM »
Suppose Rumil, Brother of Haldir is bearing Elven Bow and you have no other archer companions. In the maneuver phase, you use his text and reveal an [Elven] card, making him an archer. How many archer companions do you have?

January 26, 2020, 06:46:10 AM
Reply #117

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:10 AM »
Suppose Rumil, Brother of Haldir is bearing Elven Bow and you have no other archer companions. In the maneuver phase, you use his text and reveal an [Elven] card, making him an archer. How many archer companions do you have?
Humm a question for a question uh lol If he is the only companion as an archer I would assume 1  but yet I think that if both worked out it would still be two archery total.

January 26, 2020, 08:29:34 AM
Reply #118

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:34 AM »
Suppose I have two knights in my fellowship, and one is bearing Armor of the White City. If I transfer City Wall, do I have to exert?

January 26, 2020, 10:57:14 AM
Reply #119

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
Suppose I have two knights in my fellowship, and one is bearing Armor of the White City. If I transfer City Wall, do I have to exert?
Boy tuff questions, So Armor of the White City on a companion that is already a knight. I would say yes you would have to exert because really you have only two knights and not 3. I would say tho that my question is slightly different as Rumil, Brother of Haldir is not technically an archer until the card is reveal, he could be after that or he may not be. Had he already been an archer I would not have put an Elven Bow on him to begin with.

January 26, 2020, 11:04:28 AM
Reply #120

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
You could give Rumil the archer keyword a dozen different ways and he would still only count as 1 archer because there's still only 1 of him.

January 26, 2020, 11:57:46 AM
Reply #121

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2020, 11:57:46 AM »
You could give Rumil the archer keyword a dozen different ways and he would still only count as 1 archer because there's still only 1 of him.
OK thank you

January 26, 2020, 01:54:47 PM
Reply #122

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
Had he already been an archer I would not have put an Elven Bow on him to begin with.

Exactly what I was looking for. You wouldn't have done it because you know it wouldn't make a companion add to the archery total more than once. Same thing here. Unless a keyword has a number attached to it (e.g., Damage +2 or Hunter 3), getting that keyword more than once doesn't give any additional benefit.

January 27, 2020, 01:03:04 AM
Reply #123

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »
Had he already been an archer I would not have put an Elven Bow on him to begin with.

Exactly what I was looking for. You wouldn't have done it because you know it wouldn't make a companion add to the archery total more than once. Same thing here. Unless a keyword has a number attached to it (e.g., Damage +2 or Hunter 3), getting that keyword more than once doesn't give any additional benefit.
Well to be honest I am not sure I knew for a fact it would not add to the archery total, I just would have not done it for the simple fact it would have seemed like a waste if he was already an archer. I would have rather spread the archery wealth to somebody who was not an archer, but I do get where you are coming from. Thank You.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:06:37 AM by Larry50001 »

January 27, 2020, 10:03:52 AM
Reply #124

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:52 AM »
Consider this: If you give Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood an Elven Bow, would he add two instead of one archery?

The answer, of course, is "no." Phallen created helpful analogies with Armor of the White City on knights.  Still though, the idea of a Vishnu-like elf with a dozen arms firing a half-dozen bows does make me smile.
-wtk

January 27, 2020, 10:39:29 AM
Reply #125

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
Consider this: If you give Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood an Elven Bow, would he add two instead of one archery?

The answer, of course, is "no." Phallen created helpful analogies with Armor of the White City on knights.  Still though, the idea of a Vishnu-like elf with a dozen arms firing a half-dozen bows does make me smile.
-wtk
Galadriel BoW (pun intended) + Elven Bow + TtoGG + Nenya + Aiglos + ATAR (+ Ent Draught) + TSotB. Already exists!

January 27, 2020, 12:29:46 PM
Reply #126

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Galadriel BoW (pun intended) + Elven Bow + TtoGG + Nenya + Aiglos + ATAR (+ Ent Draught) + TSotB. Already exists!
Well, if someone was going to do it, it makes sense that it is one of the Calaquendi, with the light of the two trees reflected in her hair.
-wtk

January 27, 2020, 12:31:45 PM
Reply #127

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
Well, if someone was going to do it, it makes sense that it is one of the Calaquendi, with the light of the two trees reflected in her hair.
-wtk
Man, cannot disagree. And beautifully said. :up:

January 27, 2020, 02:09:17 PM
Reply #128

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
Speaking of Elves and archery, out of curiosity what has been the most archery one could get at any one time? I guess I am asking about Elves and Elven cards only.  I guess if you included Aragorn and Faramir and gave them each their bows and maybe something in the Rohan line as well you could get even more?

January 27, 2020, 03:23:42 PM
Reply #129

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »
Not sure what the hypothetical archery maximum is, but let's go ahead and do a little bit of guessing.

Galadriel with Elven Bow, The Splendor of Their Banners, and all of the above listed vitality boosts gets you eight archery.
Legolas is naturally an archer. It's Legolas, Nimble Warrior, so you added a threat for an extra archery point. Let's presume you also get Rumil, Brother of Haldir to activate. And you are at a forest, so Orophin, Brother of Haldir activates as well. That's 12.

You have three more Elven Bows you can dish out to various Elven companions. You also might have four copies of Double Shot in hand. So that's 19.

Elven Marksmanship has a heavy cost, but if you have four of those in play, that's eight more archery. That's 27.

If you had an improbable hand also contained four copies of Mirkwood Bowman, you could potentially get an additional 12 archery from that. That's 39.

That's before even mentioning Aragorn with Aragorn's Bow, Faramir with Faramir's Bow, and four copies of Gondor Bowmen. That's 48.

Your opponent played Gothmog, Morgul Leader so you are up to 51.

Of course, he also had a mounted [Raider] Man and Line of Defense in play, so all of those arrows hit Gothmog and your worn-out and exhausted companions have to deal with Mumak Commander on Mumak and Desert Lord with Seasoned Leader.
-wtk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:26:02 PM by ket_the_jet »

January 27, 2020, 04:01:59 PM
Reply #130

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
Not sure what the hypothetical archery maximum is, but let's go ahead and do a little bit of guessing.

Galadriel with Elven Bow, The Splendor of Their Banners, and all of the above listed vitality boosts gets you eight archery.
Legolas is naturally an archer. It's Legolas, Nimble Warrior, so you added a threat for an extra archery point. Let's presume you also get Rumil, Brother of Haldir to activate. And you are at a forest, so Orophin, Brother of Haldir activates as well. That's 12.

You have three more Elven Bows you can dish out to various Elven companions. You also might have four copies of Double Shot in hand. So that's 19.

Elven Marksmanship has a heavy cost, but if you have four of those in play, that's eight more archery. That's 27.

If you had an improbable hand also contained four copies of Mirkwood Bowman, you could potentially get an additional 12 archery from that. That's 39.

That's before even mentioning Aragorn with Aragorn's Bow, Faramir with Faramir's Bow, and four copies of Gondor Bowmen. That's 48.

Your opponent played Gothmog, Morgul Leader so you are up to 51.

Of course, he also had a mounted [Raider] Man and Line of Defense in play, so all of those arrows hit Gothmog and your worn-out and exhausted companions have to deal with Mumak Commander on Mumak and Desert Lord with Seasoned Leader.
-wtk

Unfortunately your opponent played Durin's Bane, so I guess the answer is 0.

January 27, 2020, 09:41:30 PM
Reply #131

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2020, 09:41:30 PM »
Still on Archery... With the card Taking the High Ground can you discard more than one character at a time for extra archery total or just the one only?

January 27, 2020, 11:55:09 PM
Reply #132

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2020, 11:55:09 PM »
As long as you pay the cost of a given special ability, you can use that special ability as many times as you want.

January 28, 2020, 03:30:38 AM
Reply #133

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2020, 03:30:38 AM »
As long as you pay the cost of a given special ability, you can use that special ability as many times as you want.
Thank you for that Answer.

Also, amazing, oh how much archery can be obtained if all cards are in the right place.

January 28, 2020, 09:42:55 AM
Reply #134

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Also, amazing, oh how much archery can be obtained if all cards are in the right place.
Rather than answering this question, let's ask a much more important question: What reason would you have for ever needing that much archery in a single turn? How much vitality can a shadow player throw out in a single turn, anyways? It's not likely that the shadow player has Gollum, Shelob, Sauron, the Balrog, and whatever handful of 4 vitality minions you are afraid of in the same turn.

I think that we have been, collectively, quite patient with explaining the same concepts repeatedly. But instead of asking other people to solve hypothetical questions for you, why don't you try to create a scenario for the group, like Dain showing us how Pippin, Steadfast Friend could be a major fighter or where we collectively tried to see how strong we could make Smeagol, Slinker?

A lot of players find free people's archery to be an uncreative play-style regardless.
-wtk

January 28, 2020, 01:28:41 PM
Reply #135

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
I should try that at some point. I thought it was a bit funny you alluded to Dain's Tale Deck and the reason I say that is because until I read his deck just now I had already had a deck somewhat started that had Pippin, Steadfast Friend and Gloin, Friend to Thorin with a whole mess of tales that really made Pippin a monster and Glorin somewhat since he is limited to 4 only. However I never did much more to it to get it play worthy yet.

Yes you guys have been very patient with me on many of my questions and I guess I really need to dig deeper in some of the rules in understanding things more than what I do. Obviously I have a fair understanding of the game in general but many of these questions I ask sometimes still makes me slightly confused. thus the need to ask for assistance.

I have two friends who are way more knowledgeable in the game then I am, pretty much allot like you guys are. And they are more than happy to answer any and all questions I would throw at them. However for the obvious reason of them being alerted to certain deck builds I may construct based on certain questions I may ask it seems better if I am unsure on something to ask you fine people who have been very nice and kind to me. I will try and strive to search deeper into the questions I may have and see if I can come up with my own answers for better understanding.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:34:21 PM by Larry50001 »

January 28, 2020, 02:17:07 PM
Reply #136

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »
How much vitality can a shadow player throw out in a single turn, anyways?

Assuming only 1 shadow player and excess shadow available:
Bad luck that the opponent has a hand of 8 high-vitality minions.  The Balrog, Terror of Khazad-Dum (cost 12, vitality 5), Shelob, any version (cost 6, vitality 8), Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor (cost 16, vitality 5), Gollum, any version (cost 2, vitality 4), 4x Troll of Udun (total cost 28, total vitality 20)
Overall: cost 64, vitality 42

Watcher in the Water, Many Tentacled Creature can pull tentacles out of the discard pile, so it gets around issues of hand limit.  The downside is that it discards all non-tentacles, so Shelob and Sauron can't come to the party.  Watcher (cost 4, vitality 4), 4x Foul Tentacle- can also pull any other tentacles from the draw deck if they're not in hand (total cost 8, total vitality 4), 4x Huge Tentacle (total cost 8, total vitality 8), 4x Reaching Tentacle (total cost 8, total vitality 8), and 4x Strong Tentacle (total cost 12, total vitality 8).  
Overall cost 40 and total vitality 32.

Another way around the hand limit is stacking things.  You really should have discarded their Goblin Swarms at some point: 4x Goblin Runner (cost -4, vitality 4), 4x Moria Scout (cost 0, vitality 8), mor(ia) goblins, mor(ia) problems ...
Only limit on this one is shadow
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:47:58 AM by Air Power »

January 28, 2020, 03:09:49 PM
Reply #137

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »

That is good news, so cards like Aegnor who needs to spot archers; the archer allies can be spotted for that purpose then.

January 28, 2020, 04:17:33 PM
Reply #138

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »
@Air Power - Sure, but Castamir of Umbar is only 4 vitality.

@Larry50001 - Almost every question you have asked would become intuitive to you with just a few games played. Please consider this another invitation to play on Gemp and feel confident knowing that someone would be happy to walk you through a game. I would recommend starting simple--perhaps, with Fellowship block--to ease your way into the game.
-wtk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:12:45 PM by ket_the_jet »

January 28, 2020, 04:43:09 PM
Reply #139

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2020, 04:43:09 PM »

@Larry50001 - Almost every question you have asked would become intuitive to you with just a few games played. Please consider this another invitation to play on Gemp and feel confident knowing that someone would be happy to walk you through a game. I would recommend starting simple--perhaps, with Fellowship block--to ease your way into the game.
-wtk

I have strongly consider it, which brings up my other situation to some degree with us 3 local we have gotten to the point we just play open for the most part, so I have never had to take the time to get just X cards from a certain block and use only that block period. Yea I know once you do it for awhile it gets easier to know what works well in those certain blocks and all. I do know you guys have open formats up there, how often they go on I do not know and yea I guess I could start my own and see who jumps in I suppose.

I also realize that many would be patient with me trying to learn the electronic way of doing things up there but still I would feel bad taking up a lot of time with somebody who might get real bored with me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:13:25 PM by ket_the_jet »

January 28, 2020, 09:48:43 PM
Reply #140

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »
I also realize that many would be patient with me trying to learn the electronic way of doing things up there but still I would feel bad taking up a lot of time with somebody who might get real bored with me.

That's what having two monitors is for :lol:

January 28, 2020, 10:00:30 PM
Reply #141

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2020, 10:00:30 PM »
That's what having two monitors is for :lol:
Not sure what that means having 2 monitors?

January 28, 2020, 10:05:40 PM
Reply #142

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2020, 10:05:40 PM »
I use two computer monitors, so in the scenario where you and I play on GEMP you would be free to take as much time as you'd need and I could carry on with other business on the other screen.

January 29, 2020, 01:30:02 AM
Reply #143

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2020, 01:30:02 AM »
I use two computer monitors, so in the scenario where you and I play on GEMP you would be free to take as much time as you'd need and I could carry on with other business on the other screen.
OH I see :-)

January 29, 2020, 07:49:03 AM
Reply #144

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »

-wtk

Dang, don't know why I thought he was 5.  Swapped in Gollum since he's vitality 4 but much cheaper.