LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Longest Response Chain  (Read 2647 times)

August 11, 2017, 08:14:03 AM
Read 2647 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Longest Response Chain
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Okay, so I want to see if I can come up with an unreasonably long response chain. This will only work in some sort of open format, I guess. But here we go.

Sites in Play
Towers Block Sites

[Free Peoples in Play[/b]
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms with the One Ring
A Hobbit companion, say, Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
Gandalf

Free Peoples Hand
Swiftly and Softly
Strength of Kings
The Board is Set x4

Shadow in Play
Uruk Hunter
Furious Hillman x2

Shadow in Hand
Wariness

The play:
Assign Uruk Hunter to Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
Play Swiftly and Softly (cancel skirmish)
Shadow player plays Wariness (cancels Swiftly and Softly)
Free Peoples player plays Strength of Kings (cancels Wariness)

...now how can I get to cancel Strength of Kings that would be countered by The Board is Set? Furious Hillman would end the cycle...

What am I missing?

Obviously, as separate actions at the end, Uruk Hunter has a response action for killing Merry, or Eowyn, Lady of Rohan could use a response to prevent the wound (if Merry had a Hobbit Sword).
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:46:34 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 11, 2017, 08:51:47 AM
Reply #1

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: Longest Response Chain
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
I can't think of a shadow card that cancels freeps events other than wariness, but I'll keep an eye out. Once we find it, we should set up a game on gemp and get this mad chain going :)
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

August 11, 2017, 09:46:24 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
Wariness and Frenzy cancel stealth events, specifically. Grima's Dagger and Furious Hillman cancel skirmish events, but that doesn't help with response events.

I don't know why I am so interested in figuring out the longest response chain. But I have a new one:

Frodo killed. Sam's response action takes the One Ring, Isildur's Bane.
Shadow player plays In the Ringwraith's Wake for exertion.
Shadow player plays Lost to the Goblins and gets a burden.
Shadow player plays The Ring is Mine for another burden.
Repeat three times.
Free People's Player cancels the last one Melilot Brandybuck, Merry Dancer.
Free People's Player plays Strength of Spirit to prevent Melilot's exertion.
Shadow player discards Dark Alliance and exerts a lurker to cancel Melilot Brandybuck.

Cheers,
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:00:12 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 11, 2017, 10:16:19 AM
Reply #3

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »
I can't think of a shadow card that cancels freeps events other than wariness, but I'll keep an eye out. Once we find it, we should set up a game on gemp and get this mad chain going :)
Who said anything about a shadow card? Cancel it with your own Gandalf, Wise Guide, and then let them cancel that with Dark Alliance

August 11, 2017, 10:20:26 AM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
Legion, you saucy bastard. Genius.
-wtk

August 11, 2017, 10:56:11 AM
Reply #5

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
Strength of Spirit doesn't work on allies. Luckily there is Tolman Cotton.

August 12, 2017, 05:31:00 AM
Reply #6

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 05:31:00 AM »
Wariness and Frenzy cancel stealth events, specifically.
You mean [Moria] Relentless, not Frenzy. There's also [Sauron] Seeking it Always to cancels stealths, which has the huge advantage of working from the support area (and the disadvantage of having to exert a [Sauron] tracker, which were all 2-vitality weaklings until Set 5).

Free Peoples player plays Strength of Kings (cancels Wariness)
Strength of Kings can only cancel Skirmish events, so can't cancel a response event like Wariness. Besides, it can only work on a [Gondor] Man's skirmish, so cannot be played in a moment where another resource would "cancel a skirmish involving a Hobbit." Still, Swiftly and Softly can be played in Isildur's skirmish for no effect if that's your intention.

Now, you can change Swiftly and Softly to Hobbit Intuition, and Merry From O'er the Brandywine to Friend to Sam. Then the stealth would work as a pump, and the hobbit might be trying to save Isildur from being overwhelmed or critically defeated in his skirmish. Then Wariness can be played vs the Intuition in Isildur's skirmish, but Strength of Spirit still cannot counter Wariness.

Keeping the "cancel a Hobbit's skirmish" idea, we can think about Tom Bombadil / Filibert Bolger cancelling Merry's skirmish, and Haunting Her Steps cancelling the ally's skill. Then, The Board is Set / Wise Guide can cancel Grima's event.

Instead of Haunting Her Steps (an event), might be a special ability like [Isengard] Warg et al. Then, Storied Homestead or New Authority can cancel the Warg's skill.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:00:34 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X