LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Dream/Reality Card  (Read 4411 times)

August 28, 2017, 07:25:06 PM
Read 4411 times

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Dream/Reality Card
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Before I post this card (should I do it), I thought I would ask this: The 3 of us who play locally had thought up the ideal that since Decipher had taken slight liberties on ARBs but did not do one for Rohan we did are own up and printed it out to play with. Of course that is just between us three and we would never use it should we ever be in any kind of so called tournament, (which will never be again, around here anyway).

Anyway since we turned it into a reality card of sorts I did not know if I could share it or not in this area, if so I would be happy too, if not that is OK too.

August 29, 2017, 03:31:12 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Dream/Reality Card
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:31:12 AM »
This is the perfect place for it! If you've got an image, feel free to put it up as well.

August 29, 2017, 06:31:01 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:31:01 AM »
This space exists for the sharing of dream cards. There are no rules.

I would note, of course, that Frodo and Sam were, at closest, over 300 miles from Edoras when crossing Emyn Muil...and that's the closest anyone from Rohan got to the One Ring.
-wtk

August 29, 2017, 08:43:29 AM
Reply #3

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
OK cool, One question, when you reply and it takes you into the area to add your image is there a way to add the image from your computer or does it have to be online to start with? I was just going to upload the card itself, but did not seem to be able to do that. I guess I could uploaded the card first to a place on my site then link from there. If I remember correctly the image was much bigger and I had to crop it to fit on the card.

August 30, 2017, 04:41:25 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
You'll need to upload your image elsewhere (imgur works just fine) and then link the image using the hyperlink. We sail under old colors here!

I've taken a few cracks at Rohan Ring-bearers before, and if it helps you at all I can give you a decent setup for how The One Ring could have made it into that country.

I look forward to seeing your card!

August 30, 2017, 07:52:46 PM
Reply #5

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
OK here is the card. She sports the Valiant keyword which works well in Rohan, and because she has it herself she can also spot herself for a total resistance of 5. There are plenty of Rohan men with that keyword to get her upto a 10 or better. Typical text for an ARB (I know no creativity there ) with the exception that if you can spot a unbound hobbit you can make the 2 burdens or 2 threats just 1. I should have just said if you can spot Merry since he was the main one to be there, but did not think of that in time.

I kept the strength and vitality the same. I can say for all the starting cards that get reduced by - 1 twilight if you can spot another Rohan man/Companion it works really well, and that is why I usually use her as my RB in a Rohan Deck.

It was because I put in the added text if you can spot an unbound hobbit you only need to pay the cost of 1 burden or threat is the reason I wanted to go with the picture of both of them together. Obviously it was hard to crop a good image of both of them as I had limited pictures to choose from.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:15:15 PM by Larry5000 »

August 31, 2017, 04:23:49 AM
Reply #6

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »
That's how I would make her:

or

Gametext updated to standard
image not compressed

not 100% satisfied with my fonts

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:30:18 AM by Enabran »

August 31, 2017, 06:21:48 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 06:21:48 AM »
I don't hate this as much as I thought I would, except for the obvious flavor reasons. I do think it is too powerful, to be honest. The ability to run this Ring-Bearer in a rainbow filter deck and clean out your draw deck with Simbelmyne seems like something waiting to be broken.

Additionally, I question why Eowyn's resistance to the power of the Ring should be stronger than that of  Boromir, Gimli, Isildur, etc., who were around it for a long while. I like the idea of the unbound hobbit lessening the penalty, but I almost think the penalty should be three burdens/threats and down to two if you can spot an unbound hobbit. This penalty may seem severe, but considering the amount of Ring-bearer protection Eowyn has via [Rohan] skirmish pumps and companions such as Aragorn, Defender of Rohan and Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan, this ring-bearer will be all but impossible to swarm.

Again, due to the leap in flavor, I also feel like playing a [Rohan] ring-bearer should be as--or frankly, more--tenuous than the other cultures.
-wtk

August 31, 2017, 08:09:00 AM
Reply #8

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
I like the picture upgrade Enabran looks good. Thanks Ket for all the thoughts, maybe down the road I might upgrade the card.

August 31, 2017, 12:10:07 PM
Reply #9

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
If you like, I can do it for you. You just have to give me the new text and numbers for her :-)
It is a question of minutes now to make her again.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 12:54:54 AM by Enabran »

September 01, 2017, 07:37:14 PM
Reply #10

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
I will let you know Enabran, thank you so much will give it some thought. Again it is more me that plays it then my other two friends. Funny it was more them that suggested the ideal of doing an ARB although we all agreed it should be Rohan, primarily because there was none. I ended up the one to actually do the card. :-)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:45:51 AM by Larry5000 »

September 02, 2017, 02:03:17 PM
Reply #11

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »
The original idea behind alternate ring-bearers was that they all had a chance at some point to become ring-bearers, and for that reason I always missed an alternate rb Aragorn (as Frodo offered the ring to him). I guess it'd be hard to balance him Aragorn's Bow potentially benefitting from vit bonuses on rings and such, but they did make Gandalf, BoO balanced, so I never understood why not Aragorn. Oh well...

As for your dream card... I think giving her the Valiant keyword is way too much, letting her be resistance 5 base without the keyword is already pushing it imo. This would already allow Gamling, DOTH + Gandalf, LOM to be starters where you can play both Saved from the Fire and Symbelmine while also pulling Erkenbrand's Horn and potentially 5 followers on turn 1 without looping.

September 03, 2017, 01:22:02 AM
Reply #12

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:02 AM »
I think this is a perfectly reasonable ARB.  If you compare this Eowyn to Gimli, BoG, it is pretty hard to call her overpowered. The resistance bonus requiring Valiant men is much harder to achieve than Gimli getting a damage bonus.

There aren't a lot of decent Valiant men out there: the more commonly played Rohan characters almost always lack that keyword. Plus if you play Merry, that's another slot for a Valiant companion gone.

As for flavour, looking at old dream card sets, previous dream cards have argued that if Frodo had been captured by the Uruks, he may have been killed in the ambush by the Rohirrim, leaving no-one but a man of Rohan to take the ring to Mordor.

I would also point out that it does say quite unambiguously in the forums that you should not post pictures of dream cards for potential copyright issues. Otherwise, is a nice card and I do like seeing dream cards here :-)

September 03, 2017, 05:59:12 AM
Reply #13

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
Thanks Legion on your comments about the card. I suppose after all this time that Decipher as been gone now, showing pictures of dream cards would not be such an issue. On the site the Continuing Committee while maybe not totally official I guess they had somewhat permission to carry on and continue to make new sets of Star Trek cards and people could actually print the cards out and play with them, nothing for sell of course. And if not mistaken I guess Decipher did give some other guys the official word that they could also do Star Wars. Star Trek card playing I was into, Star Wars not at all.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:29:24 AM by Larry5000 »