LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Some questions from a new player  (Read 3027 times)

October 25, 2017, 12:17:24 PM
Read 3027 times

bergil

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Some questions from a new player
« on: October 25, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
I have been given about 200 LOTR cards. I am thinking about playing with my son who loves the movies.  But I have a few questions:

If I want to get more cards, what sets are good to get? I think I have mostly Fellowship of the Ring cards (the first set). Can I combine these with cards from other sets in the same deck? I didn't see anything about this in the rule book but I assume you can't mix sites from set 1 with sites from the Return of the King set, but what about the other cards?

Do the rules stay the same for all the sets or are there additional rules in later sets?

I tried playing a game against myself to learn the rules, before I teach my son. I was very confused about the way the minions work. Do they just follow the fellowship from site to site?

Finally, I've seen a lot of talk about solo playing LOTR, but I haven't found any easy to follow rules on how to do so. Does anyone here play this solitaire?

October 25, 2017, 03:54:57 PM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Some questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
Hello and welcome!

tl;dr is create an account at http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/ and spectate or play a few games online. There's usually someone around who will be happy to help discuss deckbuilding, mechanics, and run through a few practice matches. For a more in depth answer...

Gemp's automatic rule enforcement means you'll always* see how things are supposed to play. Fellowship Block is the best place to start, which is cards from sets 1-3. I never collected so I'll have to let someone else chime in on which packs to go for, but other than a few dozen rare, nostalgic, powerful cards you should be able to get whatever you want without stealing from the kid's allowance (though you may elect to anyway!)

As far as combining cards, you can pretty much do whatever you'd like. The official game plays in different formats. Fellowship Block is the first 3 sets, Towers Block is sets 4-6, while Towers Standard was the first 6 sets with the sites from only sets 4-6. Blocks tend to be in 3 set increments, with the Standard format of that time encapsulating cards from every block and only using sites from the most recent one. The beauty of having your own cards is the ability to decide what's fun and what's not. When I played person-to-person, my deck had sites from any block. While "illegal" by Decipher's standards, nobody in my group cared and it made deckbuilding more interesting - plus you didn't have to worry about violating rules you chose to ignore!

Rules also changed as time went on, but in my opinion it wasn't too significant and any old set of rules will be more than sufficient for a new player. Since you asked, though, a bit after the release of set 4, a handful of cards from the first 3 sets were banned from standard play. This started a tradition of banning or restricting to 1 copy cards which too heavily affected the game (complete list here if you're interested: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,120.0.html). Towers Block introduced new rules for when Allies were at home as well as site controlling. King Block brought threats, enduring, non-Frodo ring-bearers, all sorts of things. Movie Block (sets 1-10, despite being called a "block") banned cancelling a skirmish involving the ring-bearer. Some players apply these rules retroactively (so Frodo's Cloak can never cancel a skirmish), while some play with the rules of that time (so some later banned cards are still legal). Some players use a combination - it's whatever you like, really.

Minions and all cards borne by them are discarded when the Fellowship ends their turn, i.e. decide not to move anymore. I haven't heard of playing LotR on your own except by playing two hands at once, and I wouldn't recommend it for a new player because there's no telling if you're doing what you're supposed to. You can create 2 accounts on Gemp and pit them against one another, and that will prevent you from doing anything illegal but it won't help you learn how to play any better and avoid silly mistakes.

Again, I recommend playing against someone willing to teach and after 3-4 games you'll have a solid understanding of the gameplay. Specific scenarios will come up and you won't know what to do, and that's what we're here for! My final unsolicited advice is to do your best to let your son win without obviously throwing the game. Once you get a good grip on winning and losing, make your deck weaker than his and be sure to include his favorite companions. There are many players around here with more cards than anyone wants to bother counting, and I know you could get a steal on a ton of extras - someone recently gave their modest collection away, shipping and all, so that the cards could continue to be enjoyed. Check out the marketplace if you're interested: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/board,7.0.html

Once again, welcome to the community! Like you, I discovered this game years after it had ended and have enjoyed it more than almost any other game. From shooters to racing to strategy and board/party games of any variety,  I haven't found a game with so much depth and freedom available to the player.

*there are a handful of highly disputed fringe cases and coding errors, but for a new player these aren't even worth mentioning

October 26, 2017, 08:03:38 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
Welcome to the site.

This game does not lend itself well to playing solo, but like Phallen said above, www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr is a great resource for playing online against the lingering competition worldwide.

I would recommend lurking in a few games there--start with "Fellowship Block" and progress through the blocks the way the sets were released to gather understanding of new rules--until you are ready to dive into a game yourself. There are many players on the site who are happy to walk a new player through the game.

Cheers,
-wtk

October 29, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
Reply #3

bergil

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I'm not interested in online play, just in playing with my son casually. My question about solo games is also for him, as I think he would like that since he doesn't connect easily with other people. It is good to know that won't work.

I think I've understood the rules by now, and will begin playing with my son soon. Thanks for your help.

October 30, 2017, 07:03:46 AM
Reply #4

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
Hi

An easy way to get more cards into play would be to print it by yourself. I do not know how expensive LOTR cards are, but I know that I spent hundrets of EURO's for my Star Trek CCG Collection.

I have printed all my LOTR cards at home. So I do not have hundrets of cards I do not need and would never play with.

October 30, 2017, 08:44:56 PM
Reply #5

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
Hi

An easy way to get more cards into play would be to print it by yourself. I do not know how expensive LOTR cards are, but I know that I spent hundrets of EURO's for my Star Trek CCG Collection.

I have printed all my LOTR cards at home. So I do not have hundrets of cards I do not need and would never play with.

Heretic!!