LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rohan in Movie  (Read 5235 times)

December 22, 2017, 11:26:11 AM
Read 5235 times

Gaurwaith

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Rohan in Movie
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
My brother always liked to play Rohan and I wanted to built him a deck to play again with real cards. But I really don't know myself with Rohan. Guess he played sth also with Merry but the Deck does not exist anymore. I want to build it together with besiegers and it should so competitive that it can play against Telepathy/Goblin Swarm, Noble Leaders/Cosairs and Rainbow Wounding/Nazgul without loosing all the time.

If someone has a good deck would be nice if you could post it here! Thanks you in advance :)

December 23, 2017, 01:08:19 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Rohan in Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
Well, Rohan is always going to be weak to Corsairs because so much of the culture is possession-dependent. But Rohan is pretty stout against swarm (Firefoot is a boost and you can run large fellowships with Merry's Sword)) and can be hardy against many Nazgul builds.

I would make sure it has Arrow-Slits (anti-ship, Goblin Scimitar, Fell Beast) and Fortress Never Fallen. Maybe a [Gondor] ring-bearer for Athelas? I find healing can be questionable against elite shadows.
-wtk

December 25, 2017, 08:55:14 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
I was playing Rohan when the first 12 expansions were out, so it had Shadows and Black Rider at that time, but the core would be pretty similar I assume.

Shadowplay + Unheeded is a nice counter measure against corsairs, you can kill Corsair Marauder as he is played with it and thanks to the discarded when played rule his game text won't take effect. Also both cards just generally combo well with horses and LoI and such. Birthday Present and a Light in his Mind can be helpful too, but I don't like to bank on not playing against Saruman's Power a lot, so bear that in mind.

I used to start with Tall and Proud + Swordthain, so I had access to both Simbelmyne and Shadowplay/ Unheeded on turn 1 without relying on draws.

I also consider Leowyn a must for any rohan build, grants great cycling ability and much needed healing.

December 25, 2017, 10:44:15 AM
Reply #3

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Ket touched on condition discard with Fortress Never Fallen; I'd try to throw in some other cultures' options as well, since FnF can be unreliable, and will die to Great Hill Troll when playing enemy besiegers. The other option is to include some Valiants and use Let Us Be Swift. It's worth noting that while LubS is an amazing card, most valiant characters are sub-par compared to their non-valiant counterparts. Rohan's only other option is Firefoot, Eomer's Steed IIRC, which is not great as it usually needs support from say, Dinendal, Silent Scout or His Golden Shield.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

January 07, 2018, 12:27:11 PM
Reply #4

Gaurwaith

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Thanks for all your comments so far. I builded a first version but did not had much time to play test it so far.

35 Cards

Starting:

Frodo, Courteous Halfling
The One Ring, Answer to all Riddles
Theoden, Tall and Proud
Merry, Swordthain

Deck:

Eomer, TMoR
Eowyn, LoI
Gamling, WoR
Hrethel, RoR
Sam, SoH
Radagast

Leowyn

Brego
Eomers Spear
Firefoot
Herugrim, SoTM
Merrys Sword 2x
Riders Mount
Riders Spear
Eowyns Sword, DB

Simbelmyne  4x
Unheeded 4x

Arrow-Slits
Fortress Never Fallen
Thundering Host 3x
Shadowplay 3x

That´s what I got so far! Any suggestions? Do you think it can compete with the decks listed above?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:30:25 PM by Gaurwaith »

May 01, 2019, 10:24:01 AM
Reply #5

maverick2909

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
Question on Merry, Swordthain. When you return him to hand does any equipment that's attached also get returned to hand?

May 01, 2019, 10:37:43 AM
Reply #6

maverick2909

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »
Follow up question: does Merry, Swordthain's ability work in conjunction with Gamling's ability.

May 01, 2019, 11:53:20 AM
Reply #7

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
No on both counts:
-When a card (other than a site) leaves play for any reason, any cards played on that card (or borne by or stacked on that card) are discarded.
-Merry, Swordthain and Gamling, Warrior of Rohan allow separate actions (notice how they both start with "Skirmish:").  For the abilities to work together, one would have to be triggered (like if Gamling's started with "whenever a  [Rohan] possession is played on Gamling")
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

May 01, 2019, 12:34:48 PM
Reply #8

maverick2909

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Good to know. So how are people getting his sword back once they return him to hand? Wouldn't it be better to play with the Merry who pulls Farmer Maggot then splash in 2-3 Hobbit Party Guests?

May 01, 2019, 12:53:35 PM
Reply #9

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Merry, Horticulturalist is not a bad call either because Simbelmyne can grab Merry's Sword, but you effectively need to start that version of Merry or you are bloating your deck size.
-wtk

May 22, 2019, 05:59:56 PM
Reply #10

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
Weapon Store is the universal fix. Works on allies or companions and can bring back other weapons discarded by Cantea or whatever. Ecglaf, Courageous Farmer is my favorite, but you've got to be willing to fit some Valiant companions in there. Mustering for Battle is expensive to depend on, but good in a pinch. Armory is a worse solution since you have to bring it back into hand and hold it for a full turn before using it, but it's there too. I think the event Charged Headlong is the last card in Movie for you, though I prefer something more dependable. Still, watch out for condition discarding if you can't fit Ecglaf in.