LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LotR Relaunch Discussion Thread #1.  (Read 20542 times)

October 11, 2018, 11:58:52 AM
Reply #30

Hnusokrates

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: LotR Relaunch Discussion Thread #1.
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
I see I'm a little bit late for the party but nevertheless – I would like to see some continuation of the game. Personally I had quit back then following the introduction of new races and mechanics and all that. I was a kid and did not have the money to rebuild my deck. But now I have and I would gladly invest it if there were new sets made. But what I would like would be for them to be somewhat tied to the old ones, simply because I have a relation to them and don't want to just move on. So my choice would be a half relaunch, some adjustment, maybe a new game mode but one that could potentially implement the original system. For example, a Hobbit-themed set would not really need a ring-bearer but could still use all the old characters, while the goal of the game would be just to get to the Mount Doom. This sort of thing would be cool for me.

October 20, 2018, 05:42:14 AM
Reply #31

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 05:42:14 AM »
How does one create an own GEMP server?

The only way I've found to do is it through Linux. I can't figure out how to translate the file destinations to what Windows uses. I can walk you through the process (I think), but know that while it isn't difficult, it's a bit technical at times and can seem overwhelming if you haven't got much experience. Also, I'll be no help to you if you actually want a public server. I've used mine for testing purposes only, so I don't need anything other than the IP address.

So Phallen, ket, do you have any plans to do so? If yes, how exactly?
If your are both totally fine with the game being dead, it should still be in your interest in getting new players?

Ideas:
 -Leaflets,
-Tournaments,
-Promos,
-Advertise in game shop to other strange nerds who are way more likely to go for it,
-(and, in my opinion, how to hold these players, since if I was a new player, I'd probably stick to a game with absolute no change in meta at all, errata, banlists, new cards(rules))...

But what was it what you intended?

I've always thought "dead game" was a misnomer. We're all here, aren't we? Regardless, I've borrowed a friend's fairly modest card collection and built ~8 decks to bring to a local comic store on game nights. At least, that's my plan - I haven't been able to go lately. Getting people to play is a tactic I haven't yet figured out, though I wouldn't say it's going poorly. I've never been one to hang around comic shops, so I'm totally out of my element there. If you don't have cards, I'd recommend printing proxies (preferably on sturdy paper) and giving that a shot. I've considered advertising as well. Decipher used 0M1/0M2 (double-sided) oversized cards, and doing something similar with GEMP information shouldn't be hard.

Anyway. If you want to grow the community, there isn't much you could do wrong. It's been a learning experience for me, but every time I try I figure out a way to try and reach people better next time.

October 23, 2018, 12:12:12 PM
Reply #32

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
The only way I've found to do is it through Linux. I can't figure out how to translate the file destinations to what Windows uses. I can walk you through the process (I think), but know that while it isn't difficult, it's a bit technical at times and can seem overwhelming if you haven't got much experience. Also, I'll be no help to you if you actually want a public server. I've used mine for testing purposes only, so I don't need anything other than the IP address.

Hmm, maybe I will come back to you.

I've always thought "dead game" was a misnomer. We're all here, aren't we? Regardless, I've borrowed a friend's fairly modest card collection and built ~8 decks to bring to a local comic store on game nights. At least, that's my plan - I haven't been able to go lately. Getting people to play is a tactic I haven't yet figured out, though I wouldn't say it's going poorly. I've never been one to hang around comic shops, so I'm totally out of my element there. If you don't have cards, I'd recommend printing proxies (preferably on sturdy paper) and giving that a shot. I've considered advertising as well. Decipher used 0M1/0M2 (double-sided) oversized cards, and doing something similar with GEMP information shouldn't be hard.

Anyway. If you want to grow the community, there isn't much you could do wrong. It's been a learning experience for me, but every time I try I figure out a way to try and reach people better next time.

I actually went to my Game Store and their LotR Boosters were gone, I asked and found out that they were bought bv some guy, maybe I'll have a player soon!
Also, one of my friends mentioned he's been playing the game in the past, maybe I can show him Gemp and Tlhh and get him back into the game.
Also I made a mistake, it should be "...I'd probably NOT stick to a game with no change..."
Go King Standard!

October 24, 2018, 01:30:59 AM
Reply #33

Dovla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
      Let's what we have:

• 1. There is a perfect online client which is very active. The client is free and features monthly leagues, tournaments and casual play.
      • 2. There are rules with very well determined formats, balanced x-lists and clear rulings.
      • 3. Running forum
      • 4. Strong and popular IP

These are very strong foundations for any card game.

So the next steps to get the game started would be:

• 1. Organize local groups (preferably on facebook) around people who have collections
      • 2. Start playing casually (with proxies allowed)
      • 3. Create a kickstarter campaign to fund marketing and product distribution (led by able and transparent group of people from the community)
      • 4. Organize events which give products as rewards (similar to magic, pay 5€ and give proportionate amount of product to all participants according to their result)

Point 4. opens the question of where to organize those events which are not entirely egliible for LGS and the easy answer lies with local meeple's crowd/venue if there is one. If not, well, I don't know.
[/list]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:12:58 AM by Dovla »

October 24, 2018, 12:11:05 PM
Reply #34

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
So this is an interesting discussion; I'm glad I stumbled onto it. Both of Decipher's other major propertied games have players' committees that produce new cards (the Star Wars CCG Players Committee and the Star Trek CCG's Continuing Committee, serving both editions), but the Lord of the Rings TCG does not.

Our goal is to be able to play the Lord of the Rings TCG.

To do that, we need two things: a vehicle and other players. As Dovla indicated, we have an excellent vehicle (the GEMP program and server), and we have a community: not large enough to maintain a forum, but large enough to find games.

We can compare our community with Star Wars's: from the 24th of September to the 23rd of this month, GEMP Star Wars saw 312 players play 3,427 games. 81.2% of these games were played in the ‘Open' format, which features ‘virtual' cards produced by the Committee, then 12% of these games were played in the ‘Premiere-Death Star II' format, which might be seen to mirror our Movie.

In the same time-frame, GEMP LotR saw 463 players play 5916 games. 51.5% of these games were in the classic Fellowship format, followed by 23.3% Movie and 12.4% Expanded.

It's difficult to compare with either Star Trek CCG edition because the Star Trek CCG, to my great chagrin, uses LackeyCCG, not GEMP, and I'm not aware of any statistics on games played.

Compared to our peer games, then, Lord of the Rings playership is very healthy. This suggests that no change is needed.

I would be interested to know, though, from some of our players who have been around from the beginning, what the trend is in our playership. More than present playership, this would suggest whether change is needed.

Ultimately, however, the decision to create new cards can only be based on one consideration: would we enjoy doing it?

That it would be fun to make our own set of game cards and play with them is reason enough to take on the challenge.

Conversely, without a sufficient number of people who want to so enough to invest the time in it, any such project would never get off the ground.

So the question really is how many members of the GEMP community would be interested in a coordinated dream card project, including time spent programming the cards into GEMP?

The dearth of forum dream card activity suggests few, though the Hobbit Draft Game does suggest a few (I'm not aware of the details of how that project was carried out or by whom). If anyone here is interested in that, I'd suggest raising it in the GEMP chat (repeatedly, so no one misses it). This site isn't heavily trafficked.

A last suggestion: if anyone is interested in such a project, I'd counsel starting small. Why not make a handful of cards (say, two dozen) for one of the game's most popular formats, then run a couple leagues in which players are invited to try them out (similar to the recent Revised Towers Standard plus 9, 14, 16 league)? This would allow interested community members to gauge their own level of enjoyment and commitment to such projects while also gauging player appetite for new cards for constructed play. If the response is lukewarm, we'll have had fun for a few months. If it's warmer, we'll have the seeds for something bigger.

I have more thoughts on what the design philosophy for such hypothetical cards should be, but they're best saved for another post if anyone ends up being interested in a project of this specific scope.

Thanks for reading,

THH

October 24, 2018, 11:21:45 PM
Reply #35

Dovla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »
Everybody is talking about designing new cards. Nobody is talking about finding a gaming caffe, making a facebook group and reaching out.

Until this sentiment is complete opposite, there is no relaunch.

October 25, 2018, 04:56:04 AM
Reply #36

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 04:56:04 AM »
There is a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/480488908698583/

If you want to organize local groups, I would use a local boardgame or comic shop's as a platform rather than create a group and start from scratch. People who might be interested are already going to gather there, though in my area (with a fairly large population) even those pages don't get much useful activity. The challenge is to convince people not to play the game they want to play and to play your game instead. From what I can tell, I think just going around and asking might be the best way to get some games going.

October 25, 2018, 02:14:41 PM
Reply #37

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »
Everybody is talking about designing new cards. Nobody is talking about finding a gaming caffe, making a facebook group and reaching out.

Until this sentiment is complete opposite, there is no relaunch.

I guess it depends what you mean by relaunch. I doubt that we'll ever have any numbers playing in person again; my thoughts were on the assumption that almost all play would be done online.

To that, though, I actually do hope to get some of my friends interested in this game. I want to obtain four of the Fellowship-Moria starters and take them to board game nights as an enclosed game. It's just difficult for me to justify the - admittedly small - expenditure at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:16:12 PM by TheHumanHydra »

October 25, 2018, 02:21:20 PM
Reply #38

Dovla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
Oh okay, i was thinking literally about real life relaunch like star wars ccg, holding tournaments and stuff.

October 26, 2018, 02:58:52 PM
Reply #39

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
If you talk about onlinegame-only, you'd definitly have to optimize the game experience on gemp. I mean at the moment it is fine to play on, but if we're already about to brng new life into the onlinegame, we've to do it properly.
I think new layouts and background would be a good start, but that only works if somebody has experience with such things and would be willing to spent the time on it.
Go King Standard!

October 30, 2018, 08:22:39 AM
Reply #40

Cugel

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
Making new rules will only place you in a diminishing paralel universe. Many old players won't like it from the start and the more you change the more people will lose interest until there is only you left.

October 31, 2018, 06:37:16 AM
Reply #41

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
51.5% of these games were in the classic Fellowship format, followed by 23.3% Movie and 12.4% Expanded.
Expanded on average sees roughly 1000 games per month, but last month was only 500 for some reason. Other formats haven't changed much, so I don't know why that would be.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

October 31, 2018, 08:39:21 AM
Reply #42

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
51.5% of these games were in the classic Fellowship format, followed by 23.3% Movie and 12.4% Expanded.
Expanded on average sees roughly 1000 games per month, but last month was only 500 for some reason. Other formats haven't changed much, so I don't know why that would be.
It is worth noting that league games do not factor into the stats; only casual games do.
-wtk

October 31, 2018, 09:04:52 AM
Reply #43

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
Thanks for the notes, guys; those are good to know.

November 04, 2018, 11:08:30 AM
Reply #44

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
How does one create an own GEMP server?

Ok, I have no experience at all but I hope to learn quick.
So, I could play against other players or not? And one can add DCs, I'm sure? As I said if I have the motivation and time at some point, I'll be happy to try.
Btw, how has your try in the Comic store?
Go King Standard!