LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: GERMANY: Dreieich Con and LotR tournament?  (Read 3567 times)

August 28, 2018, 09:43:42 AM
Read 3567 times

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
GERMANY: Dreieich Con and LotR tournament?
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
Hi y'all again,

I will ( probably, if nobody gets ill or something like that ...) be visiting the Dreieich-Con 2018 (just a bit south to Frankfurt). If anybody maybe wants to come as well to make some RL Games please pm me or reply!

The Con is at the 17th and 18th of november. Entry is 10€ at saturday and 5€ on sunday.

https://www.dreieichcon.de

Tournament:
If there are enough people (at least 3-4 other people, but hopefully some more(6)) I will be willing to host a tournament there.

Please do not forget, I haven't talked to the people from the convention yet. I don't know if I'm allowed to take money or sell anything but i'll mail them soon.

This is what the tournament would be:

We're playing swiss for either 2, 3, 4 or even 5 rounds, then we'd cut the top 2 or 4 for Single Elimination

PRICE SUPPORT: For every 2 players I would add 3 boosters to the price pool. Additional Prices may be added for the Top Cut depending on what you want and how many players attend. Likely would be:

-Sleeves
-Dice/Tokens
-Deck Boxes
-Game Mat? (blank or custom-made)

FORMAT: I will host whatever has the most players, but I prefer Pre-Shadow formats, since we only own card from these formats (Boosters will be Pre-Shadow as well).

IF YOU DON'T OWN ANY CARDS you may still participate with some Starter decks included in a higher Entry

Update: At this point I've 4 other Persons, willing to come if at least 8 people attend so we still need 3-4 People.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:05:53 PM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

September 06, 2018, 05:40:20 AM
Reply #1

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: GERMANY: Dreieich Con and LotR tournament?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:20 AM »
UPDATE

s.a.
Go King Standard!

October 01, 2018, 08:18:19 AM
Reply #2

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
So since nobody else wants to come I will say that everybody who wants a tournament has to sign up until the end of october.
That gives y'all another thirty days of time.
If nobody signed up then, I will cancel the tournament.
However, I will still be there, so if anybody wants to play casually or just wants to have some fun, please send me a pm.

And for everyone who wanted to come, but didn't have time this year: there is a good chance that I will be there next year as well as at the Rat-Con in Limburg (usually in August-september)
I'll shot you an update as soon as I know the dates.

I'm open for any ideas.
Go King Standard!

October 04, 2018, 04:57:18 AM
Reply #3

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:57:18 AM »
I know there are some people living in that area on Gemp, but I couldn't guess how many are active on the forums. In organizing events, I think Enola has more luck on the French forums (http://frealaf.free.fr/forum/) for his tournaments and reaching out to people. Perhaps you could find a more local resource? Doesn't have to be LotR TCG specific, obviously. Any LotR or card game forum would probably do the job. Maybe you won't be able to do a proper tournament, but if you can get a space to simply play the game and invite people to see it I think you'll get what you're after.

October 04, 2018, 08:39:58 AM
Reply #4

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
Oh I talked to some of the Germans on Gemp.
Some just don't have time or something else is up.

There is actually a German Lotr Tcg forum, but the last post is 5 years old  :-S :-S

I will probably just register for the event, to see if maybe some old players come and I will see if I post on a 'generic' Tcg forum, but as I said, I will be there, anyone who wants to come may come and play. :lol: :lol:
Go King Standard!

November 14, 2018, 05:06:44 AM
Reply #5

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:06:44 AM »
Um, so Phallan? Still around somewhere? You had some experience and I'll give some beginners rounds there so I've to finish some decks the next 3 days. What were the deck combination you used? Probably Fellowship block but if I lack cards, do you think TTT is also ok? I mean it's a bit more complicated but TTT boxes are easy to find so I've some.
Also: what other tips can you give me (how so you explain the rules, keeping it short and simple?)
Go King Standard!

November 16, 2018, 03:39:16 PM
Reply #6

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
I ended up being able to furnish a handful of FotR decks. I didn't have enough sites for each deck, so instead playing a site means just searching through the site deck for the next site on the path. You can't replace a site you put down (e.g., using Pathfinder), but you can pick your site based on the scenario. TTT is okay, though if you can find some FotR cards I would include them. Towers Block, even in a controlled environment, is more boring to me than Fellowship Block most of the time; combine the two and the possibilities grow exponentially. I used only sites from 1 block, but mixing and matching is fun too.

I explained the rules more-or-less as I went. I had a sample game set up to show basic mechanics (how the board should look, wounding, skirmishing, etc) to try and garner interest.It helps most people if you tell them what's similar about Magic (a game I am not very familiar with, but it's easy). Events = Instants; Conditions = Permanents; that sort of thing. I think that having a scenario set up in advance just makes things look more appealing than cards strewn out or, worse, stacked in decks. Gives people something to look at in context. I talked about the twilight pool and card types and how the deck is made up of two forces with the sample game, but just about everything else I explained in-game. I let people pick what deck they prefer (I had 6 to choose from, 7 including the one I used) and explained the basic strategies (choke, swarm, archery, beatdown, etc.) so they could pick something that might suit their play style. Playing with open hands (i.e., both players can see what the opponent has in their hand) might be a good idea too, as long as you never use that information against your opponent. You already know how to play and what moves to make; just let the other person enjoy the game.

All the decks had starting companions picked out, and I purposefully played a sub-par deck to help my opponents feel more in control. The first time one of us played a Fierce minion, I would explain "Fierce" right after that minion was played. Same with Damage +1 and Archer. I used a counter app to monitor the twilight pool and small coins for burdens/wounds, though you can probably do better than that. A 20-sided dice would be easy to keep track of twilight, for example. One thing I wish I had was a chart of the phase order the way it's shown in the starter rulebooks; I know I had to reference it constantly when I first started.

I don't know what the setup is like, but since I assume it'll have lots of people make sure not to set up in a corner. I made a sign out of a regular piece of paper saying "LotR TCG - give it a try!" or something, with a note saying "~45 min" to let people know it's not a quick game. A training game will probably take twice as long, though. You might want to print something out, the front page of the starter rulebook is a good idea (unless you've already got some). Most importantly, don't worry if very few or even no people come by. Try to figure out what would've been helpful for you to do and just do it next time. I definitely did better on my 3rd try than my 1st and 2nd because I saw what wasn't working and thought up ways to improve. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

November 16, 2018, 04:15:45 PM
Reply #7

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
Thank you very much I'm... kinda nervous already.
 It sounds really strange to try to explain a long out of print cardgame to some strangers but we'll see how it goes. I really have no expectations at all.
Go King Standard!

November 18, 2018, 11:19:55 AM
Reply #8

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
Ok,
so the location was fairly big with one big hall and several smaller rooms. There were SBGs, RPGs as well as card games and for setting up a table, you just signed up and left a note at a board, so other people could enter their name to participate. After I did this, I signed up for a Magic round. We played some nice games and after getting to know each other, I just asked them if anybody of them wanted to give LotR a try and one of them was interested. So when I got my table, I set up. I had three decks (Gandalf-Rainbow-Moria, Dwarven-Isengard and Elven-Sauron) and since nobody came, I decided to set up a piece of paper which got some peoples interest but not enough to come down for a game.
Eventually the Magic player came around and we played some time and he actually won three times in a row (Got swarmed twice site 4 by Moria and in our last game was more exciting and ended with me dying at site 9 against Uruks). I gave him the adress for gemp so maybe we can welcome a new player soon.
As you suggested we played with open hands our first game. I forgot the rulebook as well as the rings but it was no problem ;).

For the future (and to everybody willing to get involved a bit) I think if you take some more time for such a convention and maybe sit a day and with some more visual support, I think you can get quite some people. Maybe we should work a bit on like a 'banner' (just some big picture and the subject printed out in big) I will see if I can make some visual DCs with the Gemp and TLHH adress on it like Decipher used to do. I think it's good to give something to the players as well as just leaving the cards as flyers lying around might help. Also I wanna se if I maybe can design a game mat for the game.

Overall I really think of this as a success since I didn't think to get anybody. Btw we played like 1-2 hours.

What do you think? How can we improve? Maybe we'd start a new thread for this subject.
And Phallen, Why not just print the phase order for the future? if you don't have it I can give you a scann.
Go King Standard!