LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf/Rohan (FP Only)  (Read 2711 times)

August 29, 2018, 08:27:45 AM
Read 2711 times

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Gandalf/Rohan (FP Only)
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
Looking at making a Rohan/Gandalf deck as the Gandalf splash should cover a lot of the week parts of rohan (condition discarding, healing).

Should set up pretty quick and cycle really quickly with Eomer, Moment of Respite and Glamdring.

Did consider going more of a wounding route with Lady of Ithilien and Terrible and Evil but decided tank route is more fun. Should be able to set up for a shadow kill but can run late game if needed (especially with Down From the Hills) as everyone is a potential tank Eomer and with tmayod).

Not sure what shadow to pair with it, maybe some kind of Uruk swarm with regulars and the cirith ungol uruks. Planning to make it in real life so unfortunately some of the rarer cards are a bit hard to come by (hence lack of simbelmyne and sotsf).

Total - 40

Frodo, Wicked Masster
The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Eomer, Rohirrim Captain
Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund

Gandalf, Defender of the West x4
Theoden, Rekindled King
Elite Rider
Sam, Son of Hamfast
Leowyn
Barliman Butterbur, PPP x2

Eomer's Spear
Firefoot
Eowyn's Sword
Brego
Snowmane
Herugrim, Sword of the Mark
Shadowfax, Greatheart
Glamdring, Elven Blade
Gandalf's Staff
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs

An Honorable Charge x4
Grown Suddenly Tall x2
Have Patience x2
Roll of Thunder
Down from the Hills
Simbelmyne

Moment of Respite x2
Trust me as you once did x2
Hearken to me
Brooding on tomorrow
Fell deeds awake

October 26, 2018, 11:59:52 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Gandalf/Rohan (FP Only)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
Looking at making a Rohan/Gandalf deck as the Gandalf splash should cover a lot of the week parts of rohan (condition discarding, healing).
Healing and twilight removal are the two biggest issues that Rohan runs into. I have never had an issue with condition discarding (whether via Let Us Be Swift or Fortress Never Fallen). You are running several conditions, including Hearken to Me and Trust Me As You Once Did that makes me question the use of Grown Suddenly Tall. Why doesn't Fortress Never Fallen work here in concert with Brooding On Tomorrow?

You also have Fell Deeds Awake which perhaps makes Snowmane unnecessary...Rider's Mount only costs [1].

40 cards is really big for Rohan even when you can filter out with Simbelmyne. But I guess that Eomer helps with cycling. As long as this is a Movie Block deck, is Rekindled King better than Tall and Proud? Other classic Rohirrim companions include Gamling, Warrior of Rohan and Hrethel, Rider of Rohan. Your prerogative, of course.
-wtk

November 04, 2018, 03:56:40 AM
Reply #2

mathes

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Gandalf/Rohan (FP Only)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:56:40 AM »
I am not sure but seems to me you are way too focused on the Trust me as you once did and therefore playing subpar companions with the "right" signets.

I would change the fellowship to the powerhouse that Rohan can be - Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark and Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien.

Not sure about Theoden as I see the appeal of Rekindled King and Tall and Proud doesn't have to do anything if he is the last Rohan companion you played.

I would probably cut the Trust as you don't have signets to support it any longer added 2x A wizard is never late and 4x Servant of the secret fire (as it is the single best combat trick ever printed).

I would then cut all conditions but Hearken to me and Brooding on Tomorrow (+1 each) and ponder a while if the Gandalf Manager of Wizards wouldn't be better for the tricks with the initiative.

Uhm... yeah... that's quite a lot.