LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Is there a difference between "a character exerts" and "a character is exerted?"  (Read 2802 times)

September 04, 2018, 02:46:28 PM
Read 2802 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
If Orc Soldier uses his skirmish ability, he exerts. If, however, he's skirmishing a companion bearing a Horse of Rohan, Orc Soldier "must exert" at the start of the skirmish.

I'm wondering if there's a qualitative difference between these exertions. In the first case, the Soldier exerts himself; in the other, it seems, he is exerted, in this case by the Horse, although my example might not be the best for highlighting my question - hopefully my point is still clear enough!

---

If I had to answer my own question in the affirmative, I'd say that a character "exerts" to fulfill the requirements of its own game text, or via the incurred debt demanded by a card played by that character's owner. All other forms of exertion on that character would be an "is exerted" situation, marking a clear separation between the two different avenues of gaining an exertion token.

---

Worded one final way: is there a defined design space between various forms of gaining an exertion token?

September 04, 2018, 10:19:28 PM
Reply #1

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
I'd say the main difference is the person who exerts the character. If another card says "You cannot exert Minions, you wouldn't be able to use Orc Soldier's effect, but he can still be able to be exerted with Horse of Rohan since Your opponent exerts him.
But I dont know if there're any cards like that. (additionally, Horse of Rohan is not optional, where Orc Soldier is.)

For all other cards it depends on the wording.
Go King Standard!