LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The War of the Rings Dream Set  (Read 3986 times)

October 25, 2018, 11:58:45 AM
Read 3986 times

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
The War of the Rings Dream Set
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
Ok, I've come to the end, that I will post my 'Dream card Set' here bit for bit.

This set will be about the things happening in The War of the Ring, being followed by some smaller side sets, as well as a ' Hobbit Block' and a ...- Block (We will have to see what the Tv-series will reveal to us).
The set has to be seen in a vacuum and is not supposed to work with any prior sets, but will contain reprints of older cards for each culture.

One card for each of the first cultures for now! You've already seen The One Ring, but I will post him here anyway.

•The One Ring, A Waking Power [Ring]
Strength +2; Mettle +1

Maneuver: Discard a card from hand to make the bearer wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add 2 burdens instead. Then, if the Shadow has the initiative, draw a card.
"'...when he washed the mud away, there in his hand lay a beautiful golden ring...'"

[2] Dunlending Barbar  [Dunland]
Minion • Edoras (4) • Man
Strength 6 Vitality 1 Mettle 4
Hide 1.(Place this card in into your support area during the shadow phase (This card does still count as in your hand). During the shadow phase (except the turn you set this card) play this card wit twilight cost - [1])
If this minion wins a skirmish, add a threat.

Dunlands work with threats this set and this is a basic minion for that.
Hide was understandable? It is supposed to make you set it and hold onto it for at least one turn, but play it then cheaper. 'It does still count as in your hand' means that you have to count it if reconciling your hand.

NOTE: Recognized Edoras (4)? That means, that I removed the site number and put it in the Race bar. It is for every kind of characters, but for minions it is most important.
Minions are roaming until a site is behind the fellowship, which features  the unloaded keyword Edoras (in this case).
That means that theoretically minions could be roaming at side 9 if the Fellowship didn't pass Edoras.
I don't know how to prevent that(If you have an idea please share it with me!), but for now there is a number behind Edoras that works like:
This minion stops being roaming if there is a site with the unloaded keyword Edoras in the site path behind the fellowship or if the fellowship passed site 4

(0)Durins Stone, Kheledzâram [Dwarven]
Possession • Support Area
Every Dwarf with mettle 5 or less is strength +1.
Every Dwarf with mettle 3 or less gains Battlecry 1 (At the start of the maneuver phase, exert this Dwarf to make every minion mettle -1 until the regroup phase).
"'I cannot pass without turning aside for a moment to look at the wonder of the dale!'"

Turins Stone and another new keyword. Battlecry is at the moment specific to the Dwarven culture and shows what they do in this set: manipulating the mettle stud.

[5]Bombur, Now to Fat to Move [Dwarven]
Ally • Erebor • Dwarf
Strength 4 Vitality 4 Mettle 5
Toil 2. (For each [Dwarven] character you exert when playing this, its twilight cost is -2)
Fellowship: Stack a Free People event from hand on a [Dwarven] condition in your support area, to either reduce or up the mettle of a Dwarf by 1.
Regroup: Exert Bombur and pay [1] to take a [Dwarven] event stacked on a [Dwarven] condition into hand.
"... and Bombur. Bombur was now so fat that he could not move himself from his couch to his chair at table, and it took six young dwarves to lift him"

A second on for the Dwarven Culture! Bombur is... massive :lol:I feel he does a lot and maybe he's broken with other cards going to be made, but then I will come back to Bombur then.

NOTE: Erebor means that this ally is only at home if the fellowship is at a site with the Erebor keyword.

[1] Bruinen, Loudwater [Elven]
Event • Fellowship
Make the fellowships next site gain Rivendell until the end of the turn.

Straight forward. I will try to add lore to all these cards that don't have some already, but that might take some time.
Is there anyone who wants to see more?

Set List:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:01:45 AM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

October 25, 2018, 12:38:44 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: The War of the Rings Dream Set
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Okay, so the premise of Hide seems absolutely game-breaking to me. Unless there is a way for the free peoples' player to discard the card from the support area, I don't get how it would work. If it counts as still being in hand, then what is the point (if I put him there, does it mean I only draw up to seven cards?)

My two thoughts are:
1. This does what stacking minions on conditions or sites does, except worse and more convolutedly.
2. The notion of "saving" twilight use for later has already been explored with Hollowing of Isengard and (kind of) with Winged and Ominious and Peril.

Hear me out on this way around it:
[3] Driven to the Hills [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Remove [2] to stack a [Dunland] man from hand on this card.
Shadow: Play a minion stacked here as if from hand. You may remove a threat to make its twilight cost -2 (limit once per turn).

I still feel like this has a major swarm potential, especially if this format is usable with the [Dunland] minions from The Two Towers set.
-wtk

October 26, 2018, 05:55:10 AM
Reply #2

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 05:55:10 AM »
So Hide was meant to be like this:

-Place a card with Hide face-down
-It does still count as in your hand if reconciling, so even with 0 cards in hand you would only draw 7 since you still 'have' the hidden card in hand
-Next turn you play it, but cheaper to get the disadvantage back when holding onto it and waiting a turn

It converts time into twilight, so holding the card for at least one turn gives you one twilight back. Sorry for the complicated wording.

The point of it originally was to incorporate face-down cards into the game, like 'Morph' in Magic etc. the pay of is to discussion, but maybe it's still to much, then I will remove the keyword completely or invent it completely new.

+UPDATE in the original post
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:25:28 AM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

October 26, 2018, 08:50:48 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
What does putting the card face-down accomplish? So the opponent doesn't know what minion is lurking in the support area? I feel like there are too many opportunities to mess up the reconciliation (draw up to seven then after your free peoples' turn?) because of the "card in play still being in hand" function.
-wtk

October 26, 2018, 02:17:29 PM
Reply #4

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:17:29 PM »
So you think the current function of Hide in general is to complicated or what os the problem

Go King Standard!

October 26, 2018, 08:06:31 PM
Reply #5

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
It's overly complicated (another thing for both players to keep track of instead of playing the game) and doesn't add value (what you want to do is already possible). Consider a Shadow artifact which plays to the support area and reads "Regroup: stack a minion from hand here. Shadow: place a random card from hand on top of your draw deck to play a minion from here. Its twilight cost is -1." Same idea trading hand space for cheap minions without the hassle.

October 27, 2018, 02:42:59 AM
Reply #6

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 02:42:59 AM »
Consider a Shadow artifact which plays to the support area and reads "Regroup: stack a minion from hand here. Shadow: place a random card from hand on top of your draw deck to play a minion from here. Its twilight cost is -1."

I actually like this one very much. Give me a bit of time and I will play with the idea of placing cards on the deck instead of face-down.

OR:

What would be about something like this:
Hide 1.(During your shadow phase play this card as a face-down minion (Twi 0 Str 1 Vit 1 Met 1) with the following effect. This minion may not take wounds nor be assigned to a skirmish. In the assignment phase, after the Free People player assigned every minion to a skirmish: Flip this card to its original side by paying its twilight cost and make the Free People player assign this minion to a companion or ally at home (if possible))

But since this gives a card an effect the FP can't read I'd prefer an Item/Condition with a similar effect.
Go King Standard!

October 27, 2018, 04:44:09 AM
Reply #7

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:44:09 AM »
Good idea! When inventing new mechanics, think about what problem are you trying to solve or improvement you are making to the game. If there's no problem and no improvement, the mechanic is not worth it.

I'll go back to ket's question: What value to the game is a face-down card? The Free Peoples player will know it is a minion with hide, what information other than that is worth hiding from the opponent?

I also saw your new idea for roaming minions: a keyword that must be reached on the site path. I'm interested in how you plan on doing that; right now, it seems to be another feature without a purpose. If the keyword can move from game-to-game (site 2 has Edoras one game while site 5 has it another game), how will that influence strategy in a worthwhile way? How will you balance costs as a game designer not knowing when a minion will cost +2 twilight? There is room for interesting cards here, but I think they could be done just the same without making roaming more complicated.

October 27, 2018, 07:33:08 AM
Reply #8

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:33:08 AM »
So, yes I'm probably just making a permanent card instead of the Hide keyword I originally had in mind. But what would be about a Hide keyword like this one:

Hide X. (Reveal this card in your hand during th shadow phase and put it at the top of your deck to add X)

It would help decks with big cards that cost a lot of twilight to get them onto the field, while the cost is that you're going to clog your hand up pretty fast if you use it to often. An example for use would be Moria with their big Trolls and Balrogs

Oh, and for the site path I intended to use a more or less fixed point for the keyword.
The site path is in order of the events of the whole triology. Also my plans were roughly like making a 'sitepath' for every important character
(site 1 for Frodo would be somewhere in the shire, i.e. Hobbingen, but Aragorns site 1 would be Bree because that was is first appearance in the books (one could argue his journey started already earlier, but that's another point))

The problem with this would be that i.e. not every companion ever passed Edoras so Dunlands would never be at home. That is another problem to solve.

Every character has this 'keyword' and it is meant to show the moment, in which that card was made, so to say. It does not only rule if a minion is roaming, but also clarifies an ally's home site.
 If Elrond earlier had Home 3(F) that is fine, since every site 3 in FotR is in some way in Rivendell, but when combining all movies, you don't have to make every site 3 Elronds home site.
 I hope that was clear and one can actually understand what I am saying. :lol: :lol:

And last but not least, it is mainly to flavor reasons.
 I figured out that Shadows-onwards site path makes no sense at all in that regard, but I still wanted to use sites from all three books and now don't say pre-shadow site path is easy to understand
 (I still wonder if there is the possibility of making a format using all Movie Block sites, either completly free or 1-3 FotR, 4-6 TTT and 7-9 RotK, but you could still not use every site).

Btw, this whole keyword idea is also not mine alone, check out menace's thread to battle signs also, maybe he can explain better than I can.

Thanks for reading, this got longer than intended.
Go King Standard!

October 27, 2018, 06:02:37 PM
Reply #9

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
[2] They Had Been Hiding in the Mountains [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Remove  [1] and place a random card from your hand on top of your draw deck to add a threat.
Maneuver: Remove a threat to reveal the top card of your draw deck. If it is a [Dunland] minion you may play it, the minions twilight cost is -[1].

I don't know if that would work more or less how I want it to work, what do you think.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:59:01 AM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

October 27, 2018, 06:47:34 PM
Reply #10

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
Putting a card on top of your draw deck in the regroup phase doesn't mean anything as the shadow player. You literally get to draw the cards back when you reconcile. So you're really just getting free threats for each card you have in hand.
-wtk

October 28, 2018, 02:58:33 AM
Reply #11

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 02:58:33 AM »
Ah, sorry that was originally a Shadow action, I'll just change it back.

OR, what just came into my mind, Response: If the shadow player reconciles... That would be really punishing!

[2] They Had Been Hiding in the Mountains [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Response: If you reconcile, place a random card from your hand on top of your deck to add a threat.
Maneuver: Remove a threat to reveal the top card of your draw deck. If it is a Dunland minion you may play it, the minions twilight cost is -[1].

On the other hand would the card still not be on top if the FP stops, so...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:14:56 AM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

October 29, 2018, 12:07:20 PM
Reply #12

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
I don't know if anybody checked the original post, but I've added a few cards some days ago already. Let me know what you think.

But let's go on! With this set I introduce a new Culture, named the Forest (G) Culture. And yes this idea is also taken by older posts. It does not only take Gandalf the burden of carrying the Ents of Fangorn but also the creatures of the Old Forest, the Drudan Forest AND in later sets the creatures of Mirkwood (As well as any other relevant forests that may be introduced in the future).
This also means, that there will be Shadow cards as well as Free People cards in one culture.
This set will focus on Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest.

[3]Tom Bombadil, Singing Nonsense (G)
Ally • Old Forest
Strength 8 Vitality 3 Mettle 9
Wise.
To play spot an unbound Hobbit or a Tree.
Maneuver: Exert Tom Bombadil to discard a shadow ally. If that ally was strength 7 or more, draw a card. Otherwise remove  [2].
Discard Tom Bombadil if the fellowship is at an underground and you cannot spot two other Wise characters.

Ally removel will hopefully help the Free People player, since shadow allies will be introduced.

Also I'm looking forward to add some lore.
Go King Standard!

November 03, 2018, 05:24:48 AM
Reply #13

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 05:24:48 AM »
Hey, where did y'all go? Is that everything you've to say?
Go King Standard!