LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Alternative format: Devoted fellowship and shadow decks  (Read 3171 times)

November 03, 2018, 10:21:05 AM
Read 3171 times

masterpeez

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Alternative format: Devoted fellowship and shadow decks
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Just have one deck be good, the other bad. Might be a fun alternative format. Not sure how all the little rulings would work. Has anybody tried playing this way? You could have a 60 card deck devoted to building the original 9 person fellowship. Or you could have the shadow side combine corruption nazgul with corruption gollumn to be very scary. I don't remember enough about the actual decks to be able to say a specific example. But you could do a lot more splashing of different shadow culture. The minion side could plot and setup more difficult to deal with situations because they could save more cards in their hand for later. Ambush! It might make a lot of useless deck types viable again, which would be fun I guess. The fellowship side could take their sweet time making 1 move a turn and building a strong fellowship.

I just thought of this, but one thing that makes the game work really well is that sense of urgency for traveling. The fellowship needs to get to mordor as soon as possible = you have to get to site 9 as soon as possible before your opponent does. So with this format, that sense of urgency would be gone. So maybe allow the fellowship player to cycle even if they move, but also every turn, add some incrementing twilight, as an incentive to keep the fellowship moving.

November 03, 2018, 01:15:09 PM
Reply #1

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Alternative format: Devoted fellowship and shadow decks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
I think that that would catapult some decks into another level. Being able to have a deck of shadow / fp only would increase the consistency to something extreme and in the end you would end up with ~3 (or even only 1!) strategies beating everything else.
 On the one hand that is boring (especially when playing low-tier decks) on the other hand thats how a tcg works.

But I'm sure it'd be a fun idea to try out, because it'll need some time until the meta'd be defined.
Go King Standard!