LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: All these years later, this game sometimes still surprises me...  (Read 5312 times)

November 19, 2018, 03:40:04 PM
Read 5312 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
All these years later, this game sometimes still surprises me...
« on: November 19, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
This game is messy, to say the least, but at site 5, something happened that I have never seen happen in a game before.

Shelob, Her Ladyship blocked Aragorn, Driven By Need from battle. I was in a bad way and assigned Shelob to Frodo and used Phial of Galadriel, Star-Glass. By negating the game text, it allowed Aragorn to battle in fierce!

I don't know that I ever made that connection but it was great to do something new in this game and also recognize that even when things were getting bad on the Decipher end, the flavor of the cards was still really interesting.

Check out the replay and judge a sloppy game on both of our ends. Like I said, me weaseling out of death's grip happens at Steward's Tomb. But the game is entertaining until the end. See if you can spot our misplays (there were several!)
-wtk

November 19, 2018, 03:50:59 PM
Reply #1

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: All these years later, this game sometimes still surprises me...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Fun to watch it from your perspective. Both of us were very surprised at this interaction, but I love the flavor as well. I like how Grima, wielding Saruman's Power destroys The Shire Countryside as well. So many flavorful interactions, and some interesting and unexpected ones!
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

November 19, 2018, 04:38:43 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Fun to watch it from your perspective.
I'll definitely watch your side of the interaction if you post the link!
-wtk

November 19, 2018, 05:58:41 PM
Reply #3

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Is it a bug? The card reads "when you play" and then "until the end of the turn". Even if Shelob looses her gametext (or dies), the effect should remain. What am I missing?

November 19, 2018, 07:22:13 PM
Reply #4

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
Nice deck, Sweet! You don't usually see Morgul Detachment. Great game, too: if anything, the misplays enhanced the experience. Durin III would've ruined the whole show! ;)

My first impression was to be struck with how robust Gemp is. Every rule is meticulously carried out, and an observant player can take full advantage of their cards thanks to the interface. MarcinS did a truly fantastic job.

Of course, it's certainly possible (and has been the case) that not every rule is correctly carried out at first, especially for corner cases. And Phial of Galadriel, Star-Glass has already been the centerpiece in plenty of corner cases. Looks like I get to bust out the ol' rulebook again!

November 20, 2018, 04:09:27 AM
Reply #5

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:09:27 AM »
Is it a bug? The card reads "when you play" and then "until the end of the turn". Even if Shelob looses her gametext (or dies), the effect should remain. What am I missing?
Yes, this is a bug. GEMP-LotR disables an existing modifier if the source card has its game text canceled, even when an existing modifier is persistent (e.g. until end of turn, etc.).  An existing persistent modifier should not be disabled when its source card game text is canceled. I fixed this bug in GEMP-Swccg a few years ago, but looks like the fix has not been made in GEMP-LotR yet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:21:55 AM by Tbiesty »

November 20, 2018, 08:41:22 AM
Reply #6

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »
Nice deck, Sweet! You don't usually see Morgul Detachment. Great game, too: if anything, the misplays enhanced the experience. Durin III would've ruined the whole show! ;)

My first impression was to be struck with how robust Gemp is. Every rule is meticulously carried out, and an observant player can take full advantage of their cards thanks to the interface. MarcinS did a truly fantastic job.

Of course, it's certainly possible (and has been the case) that not every rule is correctly carried out at first, especially for corner cases. And Phial of Galadriel, Star-Glass has already been the centerpiece in plenty of corner cases. Looks like I get to bust out the ol' rulebook again!

Thanks! It is one of my favorites. Normally I go first and mill half the deck with EMHR, but Ket knew better than to let that happen! As you said, made for a more entertaining game :)

Fun to watch it from your perspective.
I'll definitely watch your side of the interaction if you post the link!
-wtk

Here it is! Now you really get to see how badly I misplay  :-[  :mrgreen:
http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=Sweet$tb7hlrpn97ofi3eo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:48:37 AM by Not a Zombie »
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

November 21, 2018, 05:33:44 PM
Reply #7

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
Yes, this is a bug. GEMP-LotR disables an existing modifier if the source card has its game text canceled, even when an existing modifier is persistent (e.g. until end of turn, etc.).  An existing persistent modifier should not be disabled when its source card game text is canceled. I fixed this bug in GEMP-Swccg a few years ago, but looks like the fix has not been made in GEMP-LotR yet.

It works for some cards though. Traitor's voice for example, even when discarded (or if burdens are removed during the fellowship phase) will still keep the move limit -1 for the turn...

November 21, 2018, 11:23:43 PM
Reply #8

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »
Re: Traitor's Voice, Per the CRD, move limit modifiers last the entire turn.

This is why you can play Radagast, the Brown, kill him, and triple move anyways.
-wtk

November 26, 2018, 04:52:05 AM
Reply #9

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 04:52:05 AM »
OK, thanks Chet!

January 02, 2020, 08:31:54 AM
Reply #10

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
I am glad this replay still exists.
-wtk