LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Looking for help building a deck  (Read 3324 times)

November 24, 2018, 09:01:48 PM
Read 3324 times

mistahARK

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Looking for help building a deck
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
Hey all, I recently found my childhood collection of lotr cards and am wanting to rebuild a deck, and maybe play some on GEMP. I mostly just want to relive the glory days and also feel like I have a finished deck and not just a pile of cards.

I played a lot during Fellowship and Towers blocks, my favorite Free Peoples strategies were always either Dwarves or Men, and my favorite Shadow strategies were Moria centric (Watcher in the Water, Swarm, Archery, Cave Troll, Balrog) or Nazgul.

I'm looking to build a competitive list, as a constructed magic player I've got a pretty good understanding of deck tiers and when something isn't quite good enough, so feel free to be straight with me about my expectations lol.

November 25, 2018, 05:09:03 AM
Reply #1

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Looking for help building a deck
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:09:03 AM »
And what for help do you want? I suggest you should just start, throw some cards together and then we can see how we can improve. Also you of course have to decide what you want to play.
I think if you play Magic you should be able to decide which cards are worth it and which do not. Maybe some practice can't harm either.
If you need any help with the deck builder feel free to ask.
A good way to improve is also to just ask your opponent who may be a more experienced player what he thinks about your deck.
Go King Standard!

November 25, 2018, 07:23:25 AM
Reply #2

mistahARK

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »
I guess I was hoping there was one or more competitive combinations of free peoples/shadow strategies that best matches my above description, with a generally accepted core of cards in each archetype that would give me a starting point.

November 25, 2018, 07:51:02 AM
Reply #3

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
Here (http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,9130.msg89353/topicseen.html#msg89353) is a list for Fellowship Meta.
And them, there are still plenty of pages here in Lothlorien with Fellowship Decks.
Go King Standard!

November 25, 2018, 08:16:58 PM
Reply #4

mistahARK

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »
Alright so after looking at that link I think I want to build either gandalf FotS or Gondor last alliance/rangers, and either blade tip nazgul or moria archery/swarm. I wish that post had some links to decklists but I wasn't able to find any, and it's hard to tell which decks in here are good and which are just fun experiments. Would you be able to point me in a better direction for decklists?

November 26, 2018, 05:55:44 AM
Reply #5

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 05:55:44 AM »
There are multiple ways to build any deck, of course. There were a few Friend of the Shirefolk Fellowships or Moria Shadow sides in the 2002 tournament, the decklists of which can be found here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8581.msg84308.html#msg84308

And here are the relevant names to ctrl+f to:

Alex Tennet (Pipeweed & Uruk-hai)
Patrick Malboeuf (Trust Me As You Once Did & Uruk-hai)
Mike Long (Multiculture & Uruk-hai)
Michael Dalton (Pipeweed & Uruk-hai)
Jesse Carlucci (Archery & Uruk-hai)
Peter Leiher (Tank Companions & Uruk-hai)
Josh Cornwell-Mott (Tank Companions & Uruk-hai)
Patrick Sullivan (Horn of Boromir & Moria Swarm)
Alan Sagan (Choke & Moria Swarm)
William Cruse (Choke & Moria Swarm)

I left off decks that just included Gandalf as a strong splash companion late in the game with one copy (except William Cruse, obviously). You can tell the difference by whether any Gandalf events were used - he undoubtedly has the best toolkit out of any culture, so if he's a focal point you're going to include his cool stuff. There was only 1 Nazgul deck present, and it was beatdown instead of Blade Tip/Black Breath. Most of the Friend of the Shirefolk decks aimed to start Legolas & Gimli and draw Gandalf soon, so he hits the table with at least 9 strength. I can attest that starting with Gandalf can be very risky, unless you're going to go first and use Prancing Pony or something. You need some way to survive Nazgul for the first few sites before you're set up.

The best way to find what you're looking for is using the forum's search function. Just go to the board you want to search (the Fellowship board http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/board,18.0.html in this case) and search for something in the top-right box. Quotes to search for an exact phrase. Using that, I found a topic with a Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk Free Peoples and Blade Tip/Black Breath Shadow: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8451.msg83358.html#msg83358

You should be able to do something similar to check out Moria archery and swarm decks. Don't pay too much attention to whether a Shadow side is using FotS, though. It's easy to mix and match.

November 26, 2018, 06:10:59 AM
Reply #6

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
I have not much experience on FotR block, so I'll go in the background for now.

I'm just curious: are you planning on building the deck in RL and play around with some friends or online only (Playing in person with real cards is so much more than online)
Go King Standard!

November 26, 2018, 08:08:28 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
Would you be able to point me in a better direction for decklists?
This forum has all of the Fellowship block decks. My recommendation, however, is to use the Search Function and filter to only search the Fellowship block forum. Pick a card that you want to build a deck around (like Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk) and search away!
-wtk