LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Slaked Thirsts / Trackers  (Read 4424 times)

November 28, 2018, 03:22:43 AM
Read 4424 times

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Slaked Thirsts / Trackers
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:22:43 AM »
Just built this in real life, so far it's 5-0 between gemp and RL, including against some movie block builds (although haven't faced any of the decks I suspect would be a big problem for it; Beseigers and Discard).

The shadow is fun but definitely not that competitive so any improvements or alternate shadows to consider would be great (although I like the thematic match up of 3 hunters and trackers).

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure deck:
Dunharrow Plateau
West Road
Hall of the Kings
Anduin Banks
City Gates
Minas Tirith First Circle
Ruined Capitol
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Free Peoples (34):
1x Gimli, Feared Axeman
1x Legolas, Fearless Marksman
4x Aragorn, King in Exile
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
1x Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
1x Hand Axe
1x Bow of the Galadhrim
1x Long-knives of Legolas
1x Aragorn's Bow
1x Ranger's Sword
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
2x Baruk Khazad
2x Battle Tested
4x Quick As May Be
4x Slaked Thirsts
2x Power According to His Stature
1x Ever My Heart Rises
2x Preparations
1x Shadow Between
2x The Splendor of Their Banners

Shadow (34):
1x Grima, Wormtongue
2x Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
2x Mauhur, Patrol Leader
2x Orthanc Assassin
2x Saruman, Servant of the Eye
4x Ugluk, Servant of Saruman
4x Uruk Searcher
3x Uruk Follower
1x Uruk Hunter
2x Uruk Chaser
1x Ugluk's Sword
1x Saruman's Power
2x Vengeance
4x Weary
1x What Did You Discover?
2x Worry

The FP looks to bid high and use Dunharrow Plateau to get the Preparations / Slaked Thirsts engine running and then it runs, runs, runs. Once your threats are loaded up for Gimli's Axe plus the bow on Aragorn and a Splendor on Legolas, and Shadow Between is up you'll be spitting out 4 archery plus a Slaked Thirsts and then fully healing every turn, which is tough for most shadows. You don't add too much in the way of twilight either other than Aragorn. Would like to fit some condition discard in there, maybe Herald to Gil-galad, Secret Sentinels and then Shoulder to Shoulder but it's tough fitting 6 odd cards in.

Between Legolas, Shadow Between, EMHR there is some decent filtering so could maybe push up to 36, drop a couple of cards and put 2x HTGG a secret sentinels and Vilya in?

Shadow aims to slow/grind the opponent down with Weary, random archery and Worry and maybe get a cheeky kill with SotE. Biggest problem is the trackers aren't really strong enough against the biggest skirmishers (especially in movie, stupid Dwarves) and because you usually drop 2-3 minions max archery can hurt. Debating if adding in some Broad Bladed Sword might help and/or more pumps, especially if I increase the size?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:24:48 AM by RJH777 »

December 01, 2018, 07:48:30 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Slaked Thirsts / Trackers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:48:30 AM »
The Free Peoples definitely cycles ferociously and is a bear to overcome. This is slightly different from the deck I played against, isn't it? Herald to Gil-galad fits nicely for what this deck is doing. The biggest problem I can foresee is if you're playing against an Easterling deck. Easterling Captain with Easterling Polearm will devastate you if you can't get Sam out fast enough, but most every deck has a weakness. I might consider dropping Legolas' gear to add the other cards you want, since if Legolas is skirmishing you're in a bad spot already.

I am a big advocate of cycling and pushing the size of the deck out a bit ;) If you're never decking out then it's not a big deal, but the last thing you want is pressure on your FP to cost your Shadow side the game. Are you able to double consistently?

In King Standard, Arwen, Fair Elf Maiden is gonna be a big hindrance, though honestly between Weary and Grima (maybe up to 2 copies?) you should be able to cause some real trouble for any of their fighters. I always throw a copy of Uruk Spear in to help with Rohan, too. I prefer to have 4x Vengeance (or a copy of Kill Them Now to secure the occasional support character kill from a forced assignment) which might help with your fights, and since you're already using SotE I think you'll find that Brought Back Alive can be even cheekier. Exhaust a companion with SotE and then assign him anyway.

What Did You Discover? is one of my favorites for encouraging the opponent to stay put, which is great if you're already going first. One tactic I would consider is not play anything during the shadow phase and dare the Free Peoples to move again. One or two copies of that to pull Ugluk and Uruk Hunter, plus whatever you've got in hand (hopefully a Vengeance) and the Free Peoples will regret it. If they don't move, you've got the cycling to get rid of stuff while their Free Peoples events clog up the hand, meaning even fewer minions to stand up to archery. I like Lurtz because he's a great fighter, but I think your twilight might be better spent than on Orthanc Assassin in most cases.

Overall, tough deck. You had a plan to make a pincushion out of any shadow side, and you succeeded :P

December 02, 2018, 07:21:53 PM
Reply #2

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Slaked Thirsts / Trackers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
I generally prefer Cliffs of Emyn Muil to PATHS when I play variants of this deck. Given how event-heavy the FP already is, there is significant value in being able to essentially extend your hand with CoEM in your support area.