LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Trying to get rid of a massive collection  (Read 3941 times)

February 17, 2019, 09:51:54 AM
Read 3941 times

ipinteus

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Trying to get rid of a massive collection
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
Hi there.

I came across this site as I was looking online for people that would possibly be interested in acquiring my 'The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game' collection.
I have a sizeable amount of cards, in both English and Portuguese, that I sort of inherited from a friend. This includes promos and premium foil sets.

In English there are: a sealed booster box of Battle for Helm's Deep, dozens of sealed booster packs from several sets, also dozens of sealed draft booster packs, two sealed starter decks, and I'm assuming no less than 5000 loose cards also from several sets.

In Portuguese there are: multiple sealed boosters for Fellowship of the Ring, around 3000 loose cards from different sets, and at least one complete Premium Foil Set (probably more).

For some context: in the late 90s to mid 00's my friend was Head of Logistics for Portugal's largest tabletop gaming distributor, Devir. At the time Devir had exclusive distribution rights for most card, board, and roleplaying games, LotR included, so my friend was able to amass a considerable collection of many different games, including many unique or hard-to-find promotional items that were only available internally. A few years back, he decided to move abroad, and invited us friends of similar interests to pick his collection clean. Among other things I was offered his LotR TCG stuff, which he believed I was going to enjoy. I never really did, and now I could use both the space it takes up, and the money it may be worth. So I am hoping to sell it.

If you happen to be interested in buying, or if you could kindly point me towards someone who would, please let me know.
Thank you in advance for your time.

February 18, 2019, 04:47:47 AM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Trying to get rid of a massive collection
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:47:47 AM »
Would this be shipped from Portugal?
Do you have an idea of what price you're looking to get? 

It would help people value things to know how many booster packs from each set there are.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

February 18, 2019, 12:03:42 PM
Reply #2

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
Ooof, nice collection you've got, but I'm little bit short of money at the moment. I agree to AirPower. What are you looking for. Also are you only willing to sell everything together or would you be willig to split things off.

Anyway I wouldn't say no to some fine sealed products. Still trying to seal the collection.
Go King Standard!

February 19, 2019, 12:29:21 AM
Reply #3

ipinteus

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:29:21 AM »
Hey guys, thank you for replying. You're right, I should be a bit more thorough in the description. I'll update this with a more comprehensive list soon enough. Cheers

February 19, 2019, 07:26:58 AM
Reply #4

ipinteus

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:26:58 AM »
OK, so I went through the lot quantifying all sealed products. There's:

- 1x Two Towers Theoden Starter Deck
- 1x Two Towers Aragorn Starter Deck
- 36x Battle Helm's Deep boosters (in sealed display)
- 37x Battle Helm's Deep boosters
- 11x Mines of Moria boosters
- 12x Two Towers boosters
- 18x Tower Draft Packs
- 12x Fellowship Draft Packs
- 23x Fellowship boosters (in Portuguese)
- 3x Fellowship Premium Foil Set (in Portuguese)

That's besides the multiple thousand loose cards, of course.

@Air Power: I'm going to visit my brother in London soon, March 5th to 10th, so shipping within the UK on those dates would be an option. Otherwise yes, shipping from Portugal. What I can say, having some experience shipping to and from all over, is that international shipping is never exactly cheap, but our postal services are likely the lowest in the Euro zone.

@Wyrden333: I'm fine with breaking it up. Like every seller, I'd prefer to shift this stuff in one go, but I know that's highly improbable due to the weight/value ratio. What I can't do is inventorise every loose cards or look for specific rares. There are far too many and I don't know enough about the game to do it within a reasonable time frame.

@both: I really don't know what to ask for these. I've never really been into the game. It's not like one of the other OoP CCGs I collect, for which I have some notion of market, and can recognise certain valuable cards just by flipping through them. Online opinion is pretty dismal when it comes to most dead CCGs ("give them away", "not worth their weight in post charges"), but then you find actual transactions and it's not as bleak. I've had this guy Radu from the old site trademahasamatman appraise one of the Premium Foil Sets at 400$, for instance. So I guess my hope is that you knowledgeable lot are able to shoot me some reference numbers, regardless of your interest or not in acquiring the cards.

February 19, 2019, 09:14:08 AM
Reply #5

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
For the Sealed stuff it's not easy to set a price.

I have bought TTT Displays for 13 Euros each what's a pretty cheap price. But when it goes to more rare sets like RotEl or SoG things can get more expensive (at least the prices vendors offer, I dunno if somebody actually pays more than like 50 for a display)
I recently bought a RotEL display for about 20 Euros and consider myself reasonably lucky for that one.

These are about the prices I'm looking for 15-30 Euros per display.

As for the lots, I would be interested in those, but I'm not quite sure if I'm really want to get into those now.

I know you can't go threw all the cards, but maybe you could tell us what sets the cards are you've got? (the first number in the bottom right corner of the textboxes (you are looking at i.E. set 10 if you have like "10 R 37"))
Go King Standard!

February 20, 2019, 02:25:30 AM
Reply #6

Oberiba

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 02:25:30 AM »
I didn't know until now that booster boxes are called displays. I've been too young and had no money to gather a big collection at that time so I'm more than happy to see someone's so much to sell.  I've send you a PM earlier but you pretty much answered all the questions I had in your post. If you're willing to sell, message me and we can talk it out :). I've no idea about setting prices for the unknown loose cards though. Which I also might be interested in but pretty much only sets 1-10.

February 20, 2019, 07:06:13 AM
Reply #7

ipinteus

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:06:13 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and overall interest. I'll try to reply to your PMs very soon (my phone is terribly for forum posting). Cheers