LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The One Ring, Fate's Folly  (Read 2052 times)

March 21, 2019, 11:47:57 AM
Read 2052 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
The One Ring, Fate's Folly
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
What would happen if Legolas found the One Ring? Or Gloin? Or Gandalf?

I don't know if this is a perfect card, but I think it is worthy of discussion.
-wtk

[Ring] The One Ring, Fate's Folly
Ringed Resistance: 3
Any companion can bear this ring. While wearing the One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Skirmish: At sites 1-6, add four burdens to wear the One Ring until the start of the regroup phase and discard each minion assigned to the Ring-Bearer.
"...Until, when chance came, it ensnared a new bearer..."

March 21, 2019, 11:58:28 AM
Reply #1

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: The One Ring, Fate's Folly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
Great cost, but grants the user incredible power. I like it. Is the ringed resistance representing adding 3 resistance to the bearer? Would it make the bearer ringbound? I think it might work better to make it possible but very costly to wear the one ring at later sites. Maybe make it "...Add x burdens, where x is the current site number, to wear the one ring..."
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

March 21, 2019, 01:09:53 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
Wow. Those are already better ideas than what I had.

I would want to be careful. My idea was that it would make Treebeard or Legolas or Radagast or Orophin a resistance 3 ring-bearer, not resistance 9. But unlike Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom, there are fewer options to raise that resistance to a palpable level.

Maybe it should be "discard each non- [Wraith] minion" instead?
-wtk

March 21, 2019, 02:43:12 PM
Reply #3

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
I wasn't sure if you meant make them 3 resistance or give them +3 resistance. Making them 3 resistance makes more sense. Maybe a better way to do it would be to say -3 resistance in the resistance slot instead? Then high resistance characters would still be punished, but not as much as your average joe. Hobbits would have more resistance than Men in general, but still not as much as Frodo, which feels like it has good flavor and is still a good drawback.

I'd leave off the restriction on minions, there is enough going on with this ring as is. It is good flavor though. Tough call.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:51:41 PM by Not a Zombie »
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!