LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Merry, Son of Saradoc... and sundry.  (Read 2387 times)

April 24, 2019, 11:53:12 PM
Read 2387 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Merry, Son of Saradoc... and sundry.
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »
[2] •Merry, Son of Saradoc [Rohan]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength 4
Vitality 4
Mettle 5
War-bound.
While Théoden is wounded, Merry is valiant.
While Théoden is exhausted, Merry is strength +2, and you may play this card from your discard pile any time you could play a skirmish event.
"Merry could not speak, but wept anew. 'Forgive me, lord,' he said at last, 'if I broke your command, and yet have done no more in your service than to weep at our parting.'"

The [Rohan] Merry we always wanted and never got, Son of Saradoc is fueled by the increasing peril of his adopted king. Combining familiar recursive elements of both [Shire] and [Rohan], this version of Merry can pull himself from the discard pile in times of greater danger, and he doesn't show up unarmed:

[2] •Merry's Barrow-blade [Shire]
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Mettle +2
Bearer must be Merry.
Response: If you just played Merry, exert him to play Merry's Barrow-blade from your discard pile.
Skirmish: If the fellowship is at a battleground, exert Merry to discard a minion skirmishing a war-bound companion. Place Merry's Barrow-blade out of play.
"So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs... but glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago..."

Merry's Barrow-blade works just fine from the discard pile, making it incredibly versatile when paired with oft-disappearing Merrys such as Swordthain, Learned Guide, and Impatient Hobbit (not that you'd ever use IH). Of course, the Barrow-blade is written to synergize specifically with Son of Saradoc, who can play from the discard pile with his Blade in hand, granting him immediate access to a one-shot minion removal strategy, or simply a S+1/M+2 boost.

(0) •Merry's Pack [Shire]
Possession
Bearer must be an unbound Hobbit.
Skirmish: Exert bearer and discard Merry's Pack to return an unwounded minion to its owner's hand or to play a [Shire] stealth card from your draw deck or discard pile.
"'With foes ahead, behind us dread, / Beneath the sky shall be our bed, / Until at last our toil be passed, / Our journey done, our errand sped.'"

A quick little card to reflect Merry's clever use of his pack to distract the Nazgul long enough for the hobbits to escape. Good move, Merry!

---

I am open to requests for other members of the fellowship.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:31:51 PM by menace64 »