LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Starting a playgroup  (Read 4179 times)

May 08, 2019, 08:30:26 PM
Read 4179 times

jmabry

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Starting a playgroup
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
So myself and a few others in the orlando area have decided that this game is fun, and have all(for now) agreed that we're playing with set 1 so people can sort of learn the game. My questions are as follows:
1) What benchmark are we looking for in adding set 2?
2) Do we add sets 2 and 3 at the same time, assuming product is available?
3) What should we know moving forward as far as common rulings that don't necessarily make logical sense, as we won't be playing on GEMP?
4) At what point do we implement the X and R list?(Forces of Mordor is on the R list for this format as a full block)

May 09, 2019, 03:42:30 AM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Starting a playgroup
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:30 AM »
Personal opinion only:
1: When your games of set 1 get boring/there aren't any new strategies you want to try, it's time to add set 2. 
2: I would add sets 1 at a time vs adding 2 & 3 at the same time. (Product for 2 is cheaper than 3 anyway, so that should be easy to do)
3: There were some balance issues when set 1 came out.  The most noticeable results were creating the rule of 4 and issuing errata for the Mirror of Galadriel.  I'd start with all errata in effect and the limit on drawing 4 cards in the fellowship phase, unless you want to play a few games without them and see how broken things were.  Also, much later they added a rule that you can't cancel the ring-bearer's skirmish.  I would ignore this rule because it was created for alternate ring-bearers, which don't show up in this block
4: I'd ignore them until games get boring because some decks are OP, then implement them
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

May 09, 2019, 09:06:33 AM
Reply #2

jmabry

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:06:33 AM »
Can you elaborate on/link me to the rule of 4? I think all errata is definitely just in place anyway. We're there other set 1 cards that received functional errata?

May 09, 2019, 04:26:51 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
The Rule of Four is simply that the Free People's player cannot draw more than four cards during a given Fellowship phase.

The best example would be if you used Delving and drew three cards, and tried to use a second copy of Delving, you would only draw one card.

Another example is that if you were to use Saved From the Fire, you would be able to choose three cards the first time, but on a second time you would only be able to grab one card during that Fellowship phase (unless you waited until a later turn).

There is more information on the fourth page of the Comprehensive Rules under "Fellowship Block" or in the glossary (page 15).
-wtk

May 10, 2019, 09:07:38 AM
Reply #4

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
Some cards received clarification, such as Axe Strike, but can basically be played within the set as written.  Cards with significant functional changes:
Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor
The Mirror of Galadriel
Far-seeing Eyes
Gift of Boats (arguably just a clarification)
A Ranger's Versatility
Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant of Morgul
Thror's Map
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

July 08, 2019, 06:24:52 PM
Reply #5

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
This is awesome! I've been building up my collection and playing with my friends, though everybody else is just borrowing cards. I definitely wouldn't utilize the Ring-bearer skirmish cancelling rules, as they are pretty important in the early blocks.

July 11, 2019, 08:54:41 PM
Reply #6

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
And now I'm remembering those very first games back in '01, before we figured out that minions were supposed to be discarded at the end of each turn. So many uruk-hai...

September 10, 2019, 08:38:18 PM
Reply #7

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
All that errata...funny thing is, Thror's Map in the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game also got a nerf fairly recently.
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.