LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The White Council Set - Uruks  (Read 3048 times)

June 13, 2019, 09:54:14 AM
Read 3048 times

caprylz

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
The White Council Set - Uruks
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:14 AM »
Today we're exploring the Uruk culture and the return of machines. Machines in this set require minions stacked on them to function, but once they have the enough minions stacked, they can unleash powerful effects. To make this viable, the set also introduces a handful of low-cost minions that support machine use. Let me know what you think, and what cultures you'd like to see next.

Other cultures:
The One Ring and Sites
Dwarves
Gandalf
Wraith

[7] •Berserk Slayer, Torchbearer [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 12
Vitality: 3
Site Number: 5
Damage +1.
Shadow: Exert this minion twice to play Berserker Torch on it from your discard pile.

[7] •Lurtz, Frenzied Fighter [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 13
Damage +1.
At the start of the archery phase, you may exert an unbound companion. That companion is strength -2 until the regroup phase.

[5] •Orthanc Artifax [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 8
Damage +1.
This minion is strength +1 for each card stacked on a machine.

[1] Orthanc Carrier [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 4
Vitality: 1
Damage +1.
Each time you stack this minion on a machine, you may add [1].

[3] Orthanc Engineer [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 8
Vitality: 2
Damage +1.
While this minion is stacked on a machine, that machine may not be discarded by Free Peoples cards.

[2] Orthanc Machinist [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 5
Damage +1.
When you play this minion, you may play an [Uruk] machine from your draw deck or discard pile.

[2] Orthanc Tinkerer [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 6
Vitality: 1
Damage +1.
When you play this minion from a machine, you may add [1].

[2] Uruk Assassin [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 5
Vitality: 2
Skirmish: Discard 2 cards from hand to make this minion damage +1.

[1] Ballista [Uruk]
Possession • Support Area
Machine.
At the start of the Archery phase, you may stack an [Uruk] uruk-hai from play here to make the minion archery total +1.
While there are two minions stacked here, the twilight cost of each machine is -1.

[3] Blasting Fire [Uruk]
Machine.
Regroup: Stack an [Uruk] uruk-hai from play here.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may spot 3 cards stacked here and a minion bearing Berserker Torch to wound every character. Remove that minion, this possession, and all cards stacked here from the game.

[2] Crossbow [Uruk]
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Machine.
Bearer must be an [Uruk] uruk-hai.
At the start of the archery phase, you may exert bearer to make the Free People's player exert an unbound companion.

[1] Isengard Ram [Uruk]
Machine.
Manuever: Stack an [Uruk] uruk-hai from play here.
Assignment: Discard X cards stacked here to assign an [Uruk] minion with a twilight cost of X to skirmish an unbound companion. That companion may exert to prevent that.

[2] Seige Ladder [Uruk]
Machine.
Shadow: If no card is stacked here, stack an [Uruk] uruk-hai from play here.
Assignment: Exert an [Uruk] minion to play a minion stacked here as if from hand.

[1] Uruk Armor [Uruk]
Possession • Armor
Bearer takes no more than 1 wound during each skirmish or archery phase and cannot be discarded by the Free Peoples player.

[1] Uruk Shield [Uruk]
Possession • Shield
Vitality: +1
The Fellowship archery total is -1.
Bearer cannot be exerted by Free People's cards.

[2] •The Breaking of the Fellowship [Uruk]
Condition • Support Area
While you can spot more unbound companions than ring-bound companions, each time the Free Peoples player assigns a ring-bound companion to skirmish an [Uruk] uruk-hai, you may add a threat.

[1] A Mind of Metal and Wheels [Uruk]
Condition • Support Area
Each time you use a machine's special ability, you may spot Saruman to draw a card.

[3] A Number Beyond Reckoning [Uruk]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Discard 3 cards from hand to play a minion stacked on a machine. That minion gains Toil 1.

[2] Bring them to Me [Uruk]
Condition
Plays on a fierce [Uruk] hunter. Bearer loses fierce and hunter and cannot gain fierce or hunter.
At the end of each skirmish involving bearer, discard the loser of that skirmish.

[1] Freezing Rain [Uruk]
Condition
Weather.
Plays on a site. While the fellowship is at this site, skirmishes involving [Uruk] minions may not be cancelled. At the end of the turn, discard this condition.

(0) Isenwash Dam [Uruk]
Condition
To play, spot an [Uruk] minion. Plays on a site. When you play this condition on a river site, add [2] (or add [4] if you control that site).
This site loses river and is unable to gain river.

[2] Lesser Son [Uruk]
Condition
Resistance: -1
To play, spot Saruman or exert an [Uruk] minion. Plays on a Free Peoples man.
Bearer loses Valiant, Knight, and Ranger and cannot gain Valiant, Knight, or Ranger.
If bearer is Theoden, he is strength -1.

(0) The Forests will Fall [Uruk]
Condition
To play, spot an [Uruk] minion. Plays on a site. When you play this condition on a forest site, add [2] (or add [4] if you control that site).
This site loses forest and is unable to gain forest.

[1] We Truly are Alone [Uruk]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot an [Uruk] minion. The twilight cost of each companion whose culture you cannot spot is +3.

(0) Broken Through [Uruk]
Event • Shadow
Spot a machine and discard X cards stacked on that machine to play an [Uruk] minion with a twilight cost of X from your discard pile.

[5] Crebain [Uruk]
Event • Shadow
Toil 2. Spot an [Uruk] minion to make the Free People's player reveal a card at random from hand for each companion you can spot. Place all Free People's events revealed on top of the Free People's player's draw deck.

[1] Dotard! [Uruk]
Event • Manuever
Spot Saruman or exert an [Uruk] minion to make an unbound companion resistance -2 until the regroup phase for each wound on that companion.

[2] Fires of Industry [Uruk]
Event • Skirmish
Make an [Uruk] uruk-hai strength +1 for each minion stacked on a machine you can spot (limit +4).

(0) Fruitless Search [Uruk]
Event • Response
If the Free People's player discards or returns to hand a companion, spot an [Uruk] card and remove X threats to make the Free People's player place X wounds on his or her companions.

[9] Kill the Others [Uruk]
Event • Manuever
Toil 2. Spot an [Uruk] uruk-hai to exhaust an unbound companion with less strength than that minion.

[1] They Will Be Slow [Uruk]
Event • Skirmish
Spot a companion bearing a follower skirmishing an [Uruk] minion. That companion is strength -1 for each attached follower. If that companion loses that skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard all followers attached to that companion or make the move limit -1 for this turn.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:40:16 AM by caprylz »

June 14, 2019, 07:20:23 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: The White Council Set - Uruks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:20:23 AM »
I think this is your best group of cards yet. The mechanics are interesting but uncomplicated and give the Shadow player a lot of flexibility for how to approach a fellowship.

June 14, 2019, 07:25:22 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »
I think this is your best group of cards yet. The mechanics are interesting but uncomplicated and give the Shadow player a lot of flexibility for how to approach a fellowship.

I haven't had time to catch up on the series, but I love your take on Lurtz. Maybe consider a different subtitle? I don't really consider him a "frenzied" fighter...he was cool, methodical, and fearless.

Also, is there a reason you are using the [Uruk] culture and not the [Isengard] culture for these characters?
-wtk

June 19, 2019, 05:42:05 AM
Reply #3

caprylz

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:42:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will change Lurtz's subtitle. I'd forgotten there was a Frodo with the same one.

As for choosing [Uruk], I tried to work with the post-shadows cultures for all of the major minions, but I have a few cards in [Isengard], [Moria], and [Sauron] that are included in the set as well.