LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The White Council Set - Elves  (Read 2816 times)

July 27, 2019, 01:10:04 PM
Read 2816 times

caprylz

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
The White Council Set - Elves
« on: July 27, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
This is the new Elven culture, which is small but marked by two main dynamics: some powerful, costly followers and mechanics built around Elves going back to Valinor (the discard pile). Let me know what you think! The only cultures we've got left to reveal are Gondor, Gollum, and an assortment of pre-Shadows minion cards.

Other cultures:
The One Ring and Sites
Dwarves
Gandalf
Shire
Rohan
Wraith
Uruks
Men
Orcs

[2]Arwen, Queen of Gondor [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Ranger.
Each time Arwen wins a skirmish, you may spot Aragorn to remove a burden or a threat.
Each time Arwen loses a skirmish, add a burden or a threat or discard Arwen.

[4]Elrond, Half-elven [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
To play, spot an elf.
Each [Elven] companion with an attached [Elven] follower is strength +1.
While Elrond has an attached [Elven] follower, he is damage +1.

[2]Legolas, Far Seer [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Archer.
At the start of each turn, you may reveal a card at random from your opponent's hand for each forest site on the adventure path.

[3] Lorien Archer [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Strength: 5
Resistance: 6
Archer.
To play, spot an [Elven] companion.

[2]Celeborn, Prince of Doriath [Elven]
Follower
Resistance: +1
To play, spot an Elf.
Aid - Discard an [Elven] card from play.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may shuffle a card of bearer's culture from your discard pile into your draw deck.

[4]Cirdan, Lord of the Havens [Elven]
Follower
Resistance: +4
To play, spot two elves.
Aid - Discard an [Elven] companion.
At the start of the regroup phase, if bearer is an elf (or the ring-bearer) and you cannot spot a minion, you may remove a threat for each Elf companion you can spot (limit 3).

[3]Galadriel, Altariel [Elven]
Follower
Vitality: +1
To play, spot an elf.
Aid - Add 2 threats.
When you transfer Galadriel to a companion bearing the One Ring or an artifact, you may heal that companion to exert a minion.

[1]Gift of the Evenstar, Elfstone [Elven]
Artifact
Bearer must be Aragorn. If you cannot spot Arwen, discard this artifact.
Aragorn is resistance +X, where X is Arwen's vitality.

[3]Grey Ships of Mithlond [Elven]
Possession • Support Area
To play, spot Cirdan.
Each time you discard an Elf companion, you may add an [Elven] token here.
When the Fellowship moves to any site 9, you may heal an elf for each token here.

[1] Naith Armor [Elven]
Possession • Armor
Bearer must be an elf.
If you have initiative, bearer may not be exerted by shadow cards.

[1] Naith Helmet [Elven]
Possession • Helm
Bearer must be an elf.
Response: If a minion uses a special ability and you have initiative, exert bearer twice or discard this possession to cancel its effects.

[1]Flood of Bruinen [Elven]
Condition
Plays on a river site.
If this site is a sanctuary, each time a minion is assigned to skirmish an elf companion at this site, that minion's owner must wound that minion or remove [1].

[2]Side By Side with an Elf [Elven]
Condition
Strength: +1
Plays on Gimli. If you cannot spot Legolas, discard this condition.
Skirmish: Exert Legolas twice to prevent Gimli from being overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.

[3]The White Council [Elven]
Condition • Support Area
While you can spot Galadriel and Elrond, each Wizard is strength +1 and damage +1.
While you can spot a Wizard, Galadriel and Elrond are vitality +1.

[1]You Have My Bow [Elven]
Condition • Support Area
While Frodo is the Ring-bearer and Legolas bears a ranged weapon, the minion archery total is -2.

[2] Tonight You Will Rest [Elven]
Condition
To play, discard an Elf (or an [Elven] follower).
Plays on a sanctuary.
While the fellowship is at this site, at the start of each turn, you may heal a companion of each culture.

(0) Bowstring Song [Elven]
Event • Archery
Spot an elf and exert X archer companions (or an archer companion X times) to discard a mount with a twilight cost of X.

(0) Children of Eru [Elven]
Event • Fellowship
Tale.
Discard an elf companion with a twilight cost of X to play a man with a twilight cost of X or less from your draw deck.

(0) Hope Restored [Elven]
Event • Fellowship
Add X to play an [Elven] companion with a Twilight cost of X from your discard pile.

[1] Memories of Valinor [Elven]
Event • Skirmish
Tale.
For each Elf companion in the discard pile, make an Elf companion strength +1 (limit +3, or limit +6 if skirmishing a Nazgul minion).

(0) Precision [Elven]
Event • Archery
Spot an elf and exert X archer companions (or an archer companion X times) to discard an engine or a machine with a twilight cost of X.

(0) The White Gulls [Elven]
Event • Regroup
Tale.
If you cannot spot a minion, discard an elf companion to remove a burden (or 3 burdens if the fellowship is at a river site).

August 01, 2019, 04:58:41 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: The White Council Set - Elves
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:58:41 AM »
Hmm... I'm not sure about these, but perhaps I'm missing the point. Discarding companions can very easily turn into a benefit when the deck is geared towards it: you're adding more twilight, sure, but you're also fully healing injured companions. There's a reason Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith is so popular.

Since you're allowed 4 copies of a companion, I'd simply discard companions when I draw them again to heal them fully next turn. Granted, you lose any items, but 1) you're not gonna have many because you're planning to discard your companions often and 2) there are cards in here to pull anything from discard, so nothing is truly lost. The followers also allow the Fellowship to circumvent the soft Rule of 5 by discarding excess companions when a threat appears, probably playing replacements next turn. Only swarm tactics (often harder to pull off against archery) and minions strong enough to overwhelm seem to pose real threats. At first glance, everything else would be shrugged off.

But hey, maybe the discard healing is redundant in light of other [Elven] healing and I'm overstating its value. And again, I might well be missing something here.

August 11, 2019, 01:08:18 PM
Reply #2

caprylz

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: The White Council Set - Elves
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
Yeah, this was actually the first idea for a subculture that I had, playing off elves leaving Middle Earth in some way, but I feel like I never got the mechanics to work out quite right. It definitely needs some more thought