LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Welcome, guests!

Join our growing LotR community today and you'll get:

  • Access to special members only-forums.
  • A great way to connect and hook up with other players.
  • The ability to list cards you want to trade or sell.
  • ...And much more!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's write some cards to perhaps balance the meta.  (Read 1702 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
menace64
The Late-Night Moderator
Knight
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1663


Bruce Campbell is my father.


« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »

DH, would you like to colab on a small set of cards? I'm thinking 25 cards max. I see the expansion sets that Star Trek's Continuing Committee puts out and I'm itching to do something similar for LotR. What if we focused on a specific block, and a specific theme, either recycling "dead" cards or just coming up with new stuff as we've always done? I dunno; my vision here is hazy and transient, but there's certainly a creative opening if we want to fill it.

I've been thinking about it all month and I can't get Sauron Wolves out of my head as a subculture worth its own small expansion. Granted we might not want to start there but yeah, that's where my head is.
Logged
Durin's Heir
Marksman
****
Offline Offline

Gemp: DurinsHeir
Posts: 729


Purveyor of Headaches


« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »

(I did read your post the same night you posted it, but been writing a long proper answer and every day thought "today will be finished," LOL.)

It'd be an honour to work with you! You set the goals and limits as you wish, or change them anytime, I follow. But I believe 25 cards might be simply too scarce, Reflections was twice as large and was far from complete.

About "dead cards", I think it probably won't be as worthy most of the times as writing totally new cards... I mean, Goblin Spearman is useless, but instead of changing him I'd rather create a new minion that works by himself and gives the Spearman usefulness as a byproduct. Like this example:

3 •Goblin Blademaster Moria
Minion • Orc
Strength 8  Vitality 3  Site 4
Lurker.
Each Moria Orc bearing a hand weapon is strength +2.


I've been thinking about it all month and I can't get Sauron Wolves out of my head as a subculture worth its own small expansion. Granted we might not want to start there but yeah, that's where my head is.
Do you mean the "Listen, Hound of Sauron!" wolves at Eregion? Well, 5 years ago I made a primitive effort with Azog's warg minions for the Hobbit Draft Game. It got rejected (we had more important things to do with the scarce Shadow card slots), but kept working the idea. During the last 4 days have been adapting them to fit the Sauron culture, and finally got it finished. It's a 5 or 6 cards independent subculture, but also meant to synergize with preexistent Sauron and Isengard subcultures if wanted to.

I see Sauron Wolves as cheap, fierce, tracker Warg minions. As an intelligent society of doggies, should divide their labors and act as a whole. So I separated them into "frontliners," "dense packs" and "tha Leadah." Being Sauron trackers, they have access to UTWE and Seeking It Always, which will become very interesting.

The frontliners are cheap scouts and fighters with some degree of independence. The packs are meant to support other Wargs and be supported by them, a "strength in numbers" approach. The Leader gathers them together and directs the assault. 3 minion cards, 1 for each. Plus 3 support cards (1 warg mount, 1 condition and 1 event).


2 Mountain Wolf Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 7  Vitality: 2  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
When you play this minion, you may spot another Sauron card and X wounds on a companion to add X.
Skirmish: Discard this minion to make a Warg (or a fierce Orc) strength +3.
"'How the wind howls! It is howling with wolf-voices."

A tired companion will slow down the whole Fellowship, so this scout exploits wounds on companions for twilight (UTWE will help a lot). The Skirmish skill makes it jump from one fight to another (even if didn't finish his own), portraying group support and a feral attack from all flanks (and takes the place of a pump card). By pumping "Wargs or fierce Orcs," can help Isengard Warg-riders aswell.


3 Hunting Wolf Pack Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 6  Vitality: 3  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
Each Warg (or fierce Orc) is strength +2.
For each wound on a character skirmishing this minion, it is strength +1.
"In the dead of the night many shining eyes were seen peering over the brow of the hill. Some advanced almost to the ring of stones."

You get stronger by joining the Mob. The more copies, the stronger they'll be (like the previous, Isengard Warg-riders are included). For themselves only, they exploit wounds too but for strength, like a wolf smelling the blood on its prey.


5 •Hound of Sauron, Captain of the Pack Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 9  Vitality: 3  Site: 4
Tracker. Damage +1. Fierce.
Each fierce Orc or Sauron tracker is strength +2 and twilight cost -1.
Shadow: Discard a Sauron card from hand to play a tracker, mount or search card from your discard pile.
"Without warning a storm of howls broke out..."

The Pack Leader makes Wargs and fierce Orcs (and classic Sauron Orc trackers) cheaper and stronger, and helps to muster a host of them from discard pile. Can also recover discarded copies of UTWE or Seeking It Always, or mounts for Isengard warg-riders. Also, it's a strength 11 fierce, dmg+1 beast on its own.



Those are the main cards. Now, the support cards:

3 Tracking Warg Sauron
Strength +3  Vitality +1
Possession • Mount
Tracker. Bearer must be an Orc with a twilight cost of 4 or less.
Bearer is fierce and a tracker.
When you play this mount, you may exert bearer twice to discard a stealth condition or a classless possession.
"Even magic rings are not much use against wolves..."

Can make "any Orc that costs less than 5" join the Wolf pack (from Goblin Runner to Tower Assassin). Also, can give fierce and vitality+1 to Orc Hunters, or to a Troll's Keyward wielding a Moria Axe. Being a tracker possession, Hound of Sauron makes it cost -1 (while bearer gets the strength +2).

The discard skill is meant to ditch Fearing the Worst (the nemesis of tracker decks). Also, can discard "classless possessions"... Athelas, Bill the Pony, pipeweed, Lembas, Thror's Map... you know, the kind of things you forget about when running from a Rottweiler. Can also get rid of ATfNBS, Escape, Horn of Boromir, Catapult, RBoW and Book of Mazarbul.


2 The Hunt Is Up! Sauron
Condition • Support Area
Search. Shadow: Discard an Orc to play a Warg or a Sauron mount from your draw deck.
Response: If a mounted Orc is about to be discarded, discard its mount to play a Warg minion with a twilight cost equal or lower from your discard pile for free.
"'The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!'"

This will be the backbone of the new subculture. The Shadow skill ditches any Orc to get Warg minions or Sauron Warg mounts from deck. So you can discard an Orc Scout to start the ball rolling with Warg minions, or discard a Goblin Runner to enhance a Goblin Scavengers or Ancient Chieftain with a Tracking Warg mount. This Shadow skill brings Wargs from draw deck, while Hound of Sauron does if from discard.

The Response skill makes a mount keep the fight when the rider gets killed. Which will work wonders with Isengard riders: a dead Isengard Warg / Isengard War-warg / Sauron Tracking Warg rider will bring Mountain Wolf for twilight + a pump, or a Hunting Wolf Pack for a strength boost to the remaining riders. A dead Sharku's Warg rider can be turned into a Hound of Sauron.

Of course, the Shadow skill can discard a mounted Orc to also trigger the Response skill: playing a mount/minion Warg from deck AND a Warg minion from discard pile. Crazy, isn't?


1 How The Wind Howls! Sauron
Event • Shadow or Skirmish
Search.
Play a Warg minion (or a mount on your Orc) from your draw deck or discard pile.
"'Even if we live to see the dawn, who now will wish to journey south by night with the wild wolves on his trail?'"

Resourcefulness, like Foul Things / Host of Thousands for Sauron Wargs. And for Isengard mounts. And during skirmish, if needed.


That's all. 5 or 6 cards (you can cut off the event if you wish) for a new subculture, which helps 2 old subcultures aswell.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:47:16 AM by Durin's Heir » Logged


Jeffrey Epstein Didn't Kill Himself!

                                                                                 (*Psst!* He was Arkancided!)
menace64
The Late-Night Moderator
Knight
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1663


Bruce Campbell is my father.


« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »

Quote from: Durin's Heir
It'd be an honour to work with you! You set the goals and limits as you wish, or change them anytime, I follow. But I believe 25 cards might be simply too scarce, Reflections was twice as large and was far from complete.

What if we dedicated ~25 cards to each site along the Fellowship-block adventure path as an experiment? That'd give us 200+ cards overall but "released" in small chunks. Shire / Gandalf focus for Site 1[F]; Wraith / Bree for Site 2[F]; Elven / Multicultural for 3[F]... etc. It might be easier for us to get our heads around refreshing the block if we narrowed our focus to one site's themes at a time.

Quote from: Durin's Heir
About "dead cards", I think it probably won't be as worthy most of the times as writing totally new cards... I mean, Goblin Spearman is useless, but instead of changing him I'd rather create a new minion that works by himself and gives the Spearman usefulness as a byproduct. Like this example:

3 •Goblin Blademaster Moria
Minion • Orc
Strength 8  Vitality 3  Site 4
Lurker.
Each Moria Orc bearing a hand weapon is strength +2.

I'm all for this. What do you think if recycling old card images to help sell the concept of "virtualizing" old cards? I can't get TLHH's image-insertion to work anymore (too used to reddit's interface), but here's a quick image-flipping of Goblin Spearman: https://i.imgur.com/oK0UZdx.png. With proper tinkering text can be duped and rewritten to fit whatever new effects get slapped on old cards. I figure this would be easier than finding new pictures of goblins from a 19 year old movie. (Oh #$&*@! FotR is 19 years old.) This would enable us to "use" old cards without actually using them, while communicating that they're related somehow.

Quote from: Durin's Heir
Sauron wolves

That's precisely what I have in mind. I'm out of time for now (got play practice to get to!) but I'll return later tonight to properly dissect your Wargs.
Logged
Durin's Heir
Marksman
****
Offline Offline

Gemp: DurinsHeir
Posts: 729


Purveyor of Headaches


« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 01:53:19 AM »

That's precisely what I have in mind. I'm out of time for now (got play practice to get to!) but I'll return later tonight to properly dissect your Wargs.
I want my Wargs dissected, cooked and seasoned, on my plate NOW!

What if we dedicated ~25 cards to each site along the Fellowship-block adventure path as an experiment? That'd give us 200+ cards overall but "released" in small chunks. Shire / Gandalf focus for Site 1[F]; Wraith / Bree for Site 2[F]; Elven / Multicultural for 3[F]... etc. It might be easier for us to get our heads around refreshing the block if we narrowed our focus to one site's themes at a time.
Nice idea. But 25 cards will probably be too many. Unless those include erratas. While Goblin Spearman can be enhanced by new cards, I see others as perfect candidates for erratas: Saruman's Ambition (pump any Isengard minion instead of just Uruks), Saruman's Staff (str +3 instead, skill at Shadow instead of Maneuver), NSttS (unique, "to play, exert bearer"), Let Them Come (stack minions killed by Dwarves, to discard them for benefits)...

Some sites will require far less cards than others: 7 and 8 are just minionless Anduin, while 4 is Eregion, Caradhras, Moria Lake, Western Gate and Stairs, Moria Halls AND Mazarbul! So we'll need some flexibility there. Site 5 might include a bit more of the Balrog and Gandalf's duel, taking cards/images from Towers block (and we might create a thing or two for Dwarves, like a Dwarven Endless Stair).

Also, some things didn't happen on Frodo's path, like Saruman's treason (chronologically in Site 1 and 2), the Library of Minas Tirith, and the Prologue (Making of Rings, Last Alliance, Gladden Fields, Gollum checking social media, and Bilbo's finding). Isildur's Failure corresponds there too. So there might be need of a 10th release of "Prologue and Loose Ends" if we don't manage to include them otherwise.

What do you think if recycling old card images to help sell the concept of "virtualizing" old cards? I can't get TLHH's image-insertion to work anymore (too used to reddit's interface), but here's a quick image-flipping of Goblin Spearman: https://i.imgur.com/oK0UZdx.png... I figure this would be easier than finding new pictures of goblins from a 19 year old movie. (Oh #$&*@! FotR is 19 years old.) This would enable us to "use" old cards without actually using them, while communicating that they're related somehow.
I think that's brilliant, flipped images will make them look different and equal at the same time (like another version from an alternate world). Thumbs Up (To insert images here, write [img ]image's url[/img ]; remove the space after each "img").

But that won't work for things that weren't present at all in the FotR film, like Sauron Wargs. So we'll need to adapt pics from either the Two Towers or from The Hobbit films. Now, most Towers wargs will probably require some Soviet airbrush skill to make the rider disappear from the picture, so I suggest limiting ourselves to The Hobbit alone.

With proper tinkering text can be duped and rewritten to fit whatever new effects get slapped on old cards.
To make the Hobbit Draft Game, Enola got the font and size used by Decipher, you can ask him (his account is "-Enola-", not "Enola" which is older and he discarded).


Now, if we are going to fit the text into a Decipher format card, we'll need each card to have a maximum of 7 total gametext + loretext lines (and each line having a maximum length according to that specific font and size). Enola and I did so for the Hobbit, and it became my standard for DCs, but most cards posted here in Chamber of Mazarbul would need a big chainsaw to try and fit inside a Decipher card. Yours included, I fear (Gothmog, Siege-lieutenant needs 9 for gametext and 2 for lore!).

The method I use is very simple: take a gametext line by Decipher which saturates the room (Mighty Steed's first line), do the same for loretext (Saruman's Staff), and those will be the references in a text editor (I use MS Notepad!) for the maximum available. So a card with 5 gametext lines and 2 lore ones would have this maximum room:

If Gandalf is not assigned to a skirmish,
If Gandalf is not assigned to a skirmish,
If Gandalf is not assigned to a skirmish,
If Gandalf is not assigned to a skirmish,
If Gandalf is not assigned to a skirmish,
" His hand clutched his heavy black staff like a claw. "
" His hand clutched his heavy black staff like a claw. "

Bolded words use a bit more space, which is almost insignificant in "Shadow:" but not so in "Assignment:". That's all, it worked well when Enola turned my card ideas into graphic cards.

You can, of course, use a different font and smaller size than Decipher. But will feel equally different.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:15:38 AM by Durin's Heir » Logged


Jeffrey Epstein Didn't Kill Himself!

                                                                                 (*Psst!* He was Arkancided!)
menace64
The Late-Night Moderator
Knight
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1663


Bruce Campbell is my father.


« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »

Wargburgers, coming up!

Before I get into it though I'd like to raise the question: Warg, or Wolf? What precisely differentiates either creature is murky and uncertain, and perhaps it's more like Orc/Goblin in that there isn't actually a difference between Wolf and Warg.  Think

Quote from: DH
I see Sauron Wolves as cheap, fierce, tracker Warg minions. As an intelligent society of doggies, should divide their labors and act as a whole. So I separated them into "frontliners," "dense packs" and "tha Leadah." Being Sauron trackers, they have access to UTWE and Seeking It Always, which will become very interesting.  The frontliners are cheap scouts and fighters with some degree of independence. The packs are meant to support other Wargs and be supported by them, a "strength in numbers" approach. The Leader gathers them together and directs the assault. 3 minion cards, 1 for each. Plus 3 support cards (1 warg mount, 1 condition and 1 event).

Adding a splash of Sauron trackers to fellowship block would indeed be very interesting and should be thoroughly pursued (...or tracked?).

Quote from: DH
2 Mountain Wolf Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 7  Vitality: 2  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
When you play this minion, you may spot another Sauron card and X wounds on a companion to add X.
Skirmish: Discard this minion to make a Warg (or a fierce Orc) strength +3.
"'How the wind howls! It is howling with wolf-voices."

A tired companion will slow down the whole Fellowship, so this scout exploits wounds on companions for twilight (UTWE will help a lot). The Skirmish skill makes it jump from one fight to another (even if didn't finish his own), portraying group support and a feral attack from all flanks (and takes the place of a pump card). By pumping "Wargs or fierce Orcs," can help Isengard Warg-riders aswell.

Are there any Isengard cards that specifically target or pull Warg possessions? I don't believe so, but if there are any I'd second my own motion (Suspect) to make these Sauron trackers Wolves to help keep the subcultures separate. 2% issue though, in either case!

As for Mountain Wolf itself, I really like your initial brief on how these trackers "feel": cheap and fierce; I'd also like to add simple as a third descriptor, especially on the minions. I understand why the Skirmish ability is there but I think the play effect is likely sufficient, and ditching the skirmish bit could give you something like:

2Mountain Wolf Sauron
Minion • Warg/Wolf/Demon/Monster/Targeted Maiar Hallucination
Strength: 8  Vitality: 2  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
When you play this minion, you may spot another Sauron card and X wounds on a companion to add X.
"'How the wind howls! It is howling with wolf-voices."

I almost want to take a page out of Dunland's textbook and drop these guys' vitality to 1 in favor of even greater strength curves. So a 2/9/1/4 stat split on Mountain Wolf - easily mowed down by archery fire or other pre-skirmish wounding, but dangerous once you let it get into biting range. Removing the skirmish ability definitely makes the card worse, but since the idea here is to make the pack operate as a unit more than as individuals, I think we should favor "weaker" minions with synergy and one or two decent support cards.

Quote from: DH
3 Hunting Wolf Pack Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 6  Vitality: 3  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
Each Warg (or fierce Orc) is strength +2.
For each wound on a character skirmishing this minion, it is strength +1.
"In the dead of the night many shining eyes were seen peering over the brow of the hill. Some advanced almost to the ring of stones."

You get stronger by joining the Mob. The more copies, the stronger they'll be (like the previous, Isengard Warg-riders are included). For themselves only, they exploit wounds too but for strength, like a wolf smelling the blood on its prey.

Drop the fierce Orc targeting. I think the incidental synergy with pre-existing Sauron trackers is sufficient. I love this card though - everything about it oozes wolfiness. I almost want to suggest making wound-spotting a core feature of these guys since it makes so much flippin' sense to push them in that direction.

0 All Around Them Sauron
Condition
Search. To play, spot a Sauron Warg/Wolf/Whatever. Bearer must be a companion.
While skirmishing a Sauron tracker, add 1 to the number of wounds you can spot on bearer for each Sauron card he or she bears.
"The howling of the wolves was now all round them, sometimes nearer and sometimes further off."

I'm not sure how effective this would be outside of a subculture where wound-spotting was pushed heavily, but I like the concept! (Also, yup, Tolkien refers to these creatures as Wargs in the text so I suppose that's a firm vote for Wargs, not Wolves.)

Quote from: DH
5 •Hound of Sauron, Captain of the Pack Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 9  Vitality: 3  Site: 4
Tracker. Damage +1. Fierce.
Each fierce Orc or Sauron tracker is strength +2 and twilight cost -1.
Shadow: Discard a Sauron card from hand to play a tracker, mount or search card from your discard pile.
"Without warning a storm of howls broke out..."

The Pack Leader makes Wargs and fierce Orcs (and classic Sauron Orc trackers) cheaper and stronger, and helps to muster a host of them from discard pile. Can also recover discarded copies of UTWE or Seeking It Always, or mounts for Isengard warg-riders. Also, it's a strength 11 fierce, dmg+1 beast on its own.

Hmm...

5 •Hound of Sauron, Captain of the Pack Sauron
Minion • Warg
Strength: 11  Vitality: 2  Site: 4
Tracker. Fierce.
Each Sauron tracker is twilight cost -1.
Shadow: Discard a Sauron card from hand to play a Sauron tracker (or search card) from your discard pile.
"Without warning a storm of howls broke out..."

Losing the damage bonus and pip of vitality pushes the strength up to 11. Again, I've axed the fierce-orc component. I almost want to suggest making the shadow effect free ("Shadow: Play a Sauron tracker or search card from your discard pile.") in an effort to incentivize the unique minion over swarms, but maybe we could take a hint from Tol Brandir and go with something like "Shadow: Play up to 3 Sauron trackers and/or search cards from your discard pile; end your Shadow phase." So many options for this minion, but no matter what I agree that recursion is important - and flavorful - for this subculture to get feet under it.

Quote from: DH
3 Tracking Warg Sauron
Strength +3  Vitality +1
Possession • Mount
Tracker. Bearer must be an Orc with a twilight cost of 4 or less.
Bearer is fierce and a tracker.
When you play this mount, you may exert bearer twice to discard a stealth condition or a classless possession.
"Even magic rings are not much use against wolves..."

Can make "any Orc that costs less than 5" join the Wolf pack (from Goblin Runner to Tower Assassin). Also, can give fierce and vitality+1 to Orc Hunters, or to a Troll's Keyward wielding a Moria Axe. Being a tracker possession, Hound of Sauron makes it cost -1 (while bearer gets the strength +2).

The discard skill is meant to ditch Fearing the Worst (the nemesis of tracker decks). Also, can discard "classless possessions"... Athelas, Bill the Pony, pipeweed, Lembas, Thror's Map... you know, the kind of things you forget about when running from a Rottweiler. Can also get rid of ATfNBS, Escape, Horn of Boromir, Catapult, RBoW and Book of Mazarbul.

At all costs I think we should avoid drawing mechanical comparisons between Sauron Warg trackers and Isengard Warg mounts. This card feels more like Rise of Saruman and less like Mines of Moria and that makes me feel skittish: enabling just about any Orc to bear it also introduces a host of balancing concerns, since you'd need to test the mount on every single Orc to see what breaks the game and what doesn't. It's messy, and the standout reason why I prefer Isengard's Warg-rider keyword over anything the Orc culture ever attempted.

I'd say cut possessions from the subculture entirely. It's certainly a neat idea but it draws the focus away from what the subculture should be good at: cheapy minions with a strong preference for sniffing out bleeding companions.

Quote from: DH
2 The Hunt Is Up! Sauron
Condition • Support Area
Search. Shadow: Discard an Orc to play a Warg or a Sauron mount from your draw deck.
Response: If a mounted Orc is about to be discarded, discard its mount to play a Warg minion with a twilight cost equal or lower from your discard pile for free.
"'The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!'"

This will be the backbone of the new subculture. The Shadow skill ditches any Orc to get Warg minions or Sauron Warg mounts from deck. So you can discard an Orc Scout to start the ball rolling with Warg minions, or discard a Goblin Runner to enhance a Goblin Scavengers or Ancient Chieftain with a Tracking Warg mount. This Shadow skill brings Wargs from draw deck, while Hound of Sauron does if from discard.

The Response skill makes a mount keep the fight when the rider gets killed. Which will work wonders with Isengard riders: a dead Isengard Warg / Isengard War-warg / Sauron Tracking Warg rider will bring Mountain Wolf for twilight + a pump, or a Hunting Wolf Pack for a strength boost to the remaining riders. A dead Sharku's Warg rider can be turned into a Hound of Sauron.

Of course, the Shadow skill can discard a mounted Orc to also trigger the Response skill: playing a mount/minion Warg from deck AND a Warg minion from discard pile. Crazy, isn't?

Unfortunately what I said ^ sets me against this version of the card. Moreover the game text here is just too complicated for what should be, in essence, a fairly straightforward subculture. I'm a huge fan of providing additional support to Isengard Warg-riders but these cards probably aren't the best place for such support.

Minimal deviation:
2 The Hunt Is Up! Sauron
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Shadow:
Discard a Sauron Orc to play a tracker from your draw deck.
Response: If a tracker is about to be discarded, remove 1 to play a Sauron Warg with a twilight cost equal or lower from your discard pile for free.
"'The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!'"

I've shifted the cultural enforcement around a bit, forcing the Shadow player to already have a Sauron Orc in play but allowing them to pull any tracker with the discard. Now the Response ability includes a multicultural element (enabling it to splash into, say, an Ugluk deck) but its effect only pulls Sauron Wargs. I'm not sure if this kills the card's versatility or not; I'm just trying to skirt around the concept of Sauron mounts for now without completely rewriting the card. But...

Maximum deviation:
1 The Hunt Is Up! Sauron
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Assignment:
Spot a companion (except the Ring-bearer) with X wounds to play X Sauron trackers from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
"'The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!'"

Leaning into the blood-sniffing theme established earlier. I haven't thought out how balanced this is... I just really like the concept of Sauron Wargs spotting wounds LOL!. Of course, this version of the card is open to all Sauron trackers and not exclusively Wargs.

Quote from: DH
1 How The Wind Howls! Sauron
Event • Shadow or Skirmish
Search.
Play a Warg minion (or a mount on your Orc) from your draw deck or discard pile.
"'Even if we live to see the dawn, who now will wish to journey south by night with the wild wolves on his trail?'"

Resourcefulness, like Foul Things / Host of Thousands for Sauron Wargs. And for Isengard mounts. And during skirmish, if needed.

That's all. 5 or 6 cards (you can cut off the event if you wish) for a new subculture, which helps 2 old subcultures aswell.

As is - and removing the mount/Orc parenthetical - I'd say this card should be 0. Not sure how useful it would be with those changes though. I do appreciate your adherence to Sauron lacking pumps, so perhaps something like...

0 How The Wind Howls! Sauron
Event • Shadow or Skirmish
Search.
Play a Sauron Warg from your draw deck or discard pile; its twilight cost is -1.
"'Even if we live to see the dawn, who now will wish to journey south by night with the wild wolves on his trail?'"

Always useful, always free, probably too easy to abuse Mr. Green!

But then this popped into my head:

1 Snarled and Sprang Sauron
Event • Skirmish
Reveal your hand. Make a Sauron Warg strength +1 for each Shadow card revealed.
"'Fling fuel on the fire!' cried Gandalf to the hobbits. 'Draw your blades, and stand back to back!' In the leaping light, as the fresh wood blazed up, Frodo saw many grey shapes spring over the ring of stones."

Yes, it's a bit sacrilegious within Sauron, but it comes at a cost of efficiency as most Shadow players will try to dump all their cards into play well before a skirmish phase.

---

If I accidentally skipped over anything or said something dumb, my apologies! Tonight is opening night so I won't be intellectually-available until Monday when the show is finished. In the meantime I'll be stuck thinking about wound-sniffing as a Sauron Warg mechanic and maybe by next week I'll have a card or two percolating along those lines. Sorry for the delay in responding - this seems to be a unifying trait among us stalwarts of TLHH lol - but time stands still here, or seems to, as it should! May the Valar watch over you.
Logged
ket_the_jet
Global Mod
King
*****
Offline Offline

Gemp: chet_manly
Formats: King Standard (1-7)
Posts: 2024


« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »

Diving back in here with a few Raider cards. Who doesn't love those?

4 Variag of Khand Raider
Minion • Man
Strength: 9
Vitality: 3
Site: 4
Variag. Besieger.
Shadow: Exert this minion twice to make a Raider minion gain besieger until the start of the regroup phase.
"Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes and Variags of Khand..."



2 Mercenary of Khand Raider
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 2
Site: 5
Variag. Besieger.
Maneuver: Discard a Raider condition and exert this minion to wound a companion. If you can spot a Sauron besieger, you may add a threat.[/b]
"The inland Sea of Rhun strengthened by men of their kinsfolk...and from their new allies in Khand."

6Chieftain of Khand, Leader of Mercenaries Raider
Minion • Man
Strength: 12
Vitality: 3
Site: 5
Variag. Besieger.
Skirmish: Exert this minion to stack another besieger on a site you control.

2 Great Assault Raider
Event • Maneuver
Spot a Raider besieger and a Sauron besieger to reveal a card at random from your opponent's hand. You may make a minion strength +x, where x is the twilight cost of the revealed card.
"In this great assault from north and south Gondor came to near destruction..."

4 Untamed Alliance Raider
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make a minion strength +1 (or strength +2 if you have initiative) for each of the following you can spot: Corsair, Easterling, Southron, Variag.

3 Wainrider Chariot Raider
Possession • Mount
Strength: +3
Bearer must be a Variag.
Skirmish: Discard this possession to discard a mount borne by a companion in this skirmish.

What do you think about some random cards for one of the most curious races?
-wtk
Logged
Durin's Heir
Marksman
****
Offline Offline

Gemp: DurinsHeir
Posts: 729


Purveyor of Headaches


« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:24:17 AM »

Ket, your Variags are cool. I'd change a thing here and there, but feels like a good start to a subculture that merits further developing.

Variag of Khand should exert himself once only. Mercenary of Khand is a Raider Orkish Lackey, so should specify either "unbound companion" or "(except the Ring-bearer)." I like a lot Chieftain of Khand's synergy with Gorgoroth Pillager, feels like something to keep developing with stacked Variags (or Variags that spot/play other stacked besiegers for benefits). Thumbs Up

Great Assault feels too risky and expensive for such reward; I'd change it to "make X minions strength +X" (limit, say 5) until regroup, so if you hit the jackpot it won't be to just overwhelm Thrarin, but to bring real havok.

Untamed Alliance is too expensive, should cost 2 considering the difficulty of maxing it out (can give +8, but most of the times will be +2 like 1 Wrath of Harad).

Wainrider Chariot feels underpowered, Iron Axe gives the same stats for - 2 (and Mumak gives fierce for - 1). I like the Rohan / Gondor mount counter, I think should be able to counter any possession, this way:


3 Wainrider Chariot Raider
Possession • Mount
Strength: +3
Bearer must be a Variag.
Each time bearer is assigned to skirmish a character, you may spot a possession borne by that character to make it lose it's game text (except card type and class) during that skirmish.

That way, if you fear losing the skirmish you can blank an offensive tool (a Rohan horse, Gondor Bow or Elven Sword) to make the defeat less likely (or less costly), or blank instead a defensive one (Armor, Dwarven Bracers, Heavy Chain or Boromir's Gauntlets) if you feel like winning (or to pave the road to Red Wrath). To me, the increase in maneuverability justifies completely a cost of 3.


Your ideas are cool, but you're giving them too little power. Keep them coming!
« Last Edit: Today at 06:54:26 AM by Durin's Heir » Logged


Jeffrey Epstein Didn't Kill Himself!

                                                                                 (*Psst!* He was Arkancided!)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: