LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #1  (Read 3012 times)

April 24, 2020, 10:36:38 PM
Read 3012 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #1
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:36:38 PM »
Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Inspired by the successful contests over on the TrekCC boards, I'd like to try something very similar here.

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision.

This week's contest is...

Card #14!

Being that this is the first week of the contest, there are no restrictions on what this card might be. It probably isn't a Dunland or Dwarf card, and the odds of it being a site are rather poor - but anything goes!

Closing date: May 2nd. If we need more time since this is out-of-the-blue we can play with the dates a bit.

Good luck!

Note: This'll be a 25 card set.

Lairs Card List
Number - Name - Type - Contestant - Week it won
14. IN CREATION THIS WEEK

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:42:01 PM by menace64 »

April 25, 2020, 06:00:42 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #1
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:00:42 AM »
[2] •Saruman's Deception [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Saruman.
Each [Gandalf] event gains this effect: "exert an ally."
Each time a Free Peoples card exerts a companion or ally, you may exert Saruman or discard an [Isengard] minion to exert that character again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:35:38 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

April 25, 2020, 06:19:55 AM
Reply #2

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »
[3] • Treasure Trove [Raider]
Artifact • Support Area
While you can spot 4 twilight tokens, each Southron is strength +1
While you can spot 8 twilight tokens, each Southron is damage +1
Vast riches hidden in the deserts financed superior weapons for warriors from the South
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:56:26 AM by Legion »

April 25, 2020, 08:49:22 AM
Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »
[2] •Saruman's Deception [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Saruman.
Each [Gandalf] event gains this effect: "exert an ally."
Response: If a Free Peoples card exerts a companion or ally, spot Saruman or discard an [Isengard] minion to exert that character again.
The response skill should be an "each time" triggered action instead, to not repeat ad infinitum by spotting Saruman (unless that is the actual intention). Great card, btw!

---

[1] It Waits For You Still [Moria]
Condition • Support Area
Spell. While you can spot a Dwarf, The Balrog is twilight cost -3.
Shadow: If the fellowship has moved more than once this turn, play The Balrog from your draw deck or discard pile.
"'The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin's Folk walk again in Moria.'"

EDIT: Saruman's Deception still needs a "you may", otherwise the FP player will use exerting special abilities to make you ditch your [Isengard] minions, if Saruman is not around.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:49:37 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

April 25, 2020, 02:35:51 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 02:35:51 PM »
(0) •Wrested Kingdom [Moria]
Image: (11R11)
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, place a [Moria] token here for each token or stacked card on Free Peoples conditions.
Regroup: Discard a [Moria] Orc to play a [Moria] condition from your discard pile. Remove a [Moria] token from here or discard this condition.
"'The first clear word is sorrow, but the rest of the line is lost...'"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:29:15 PM by menace64 »

April 25, 2020, 03:31:30 PM
Reply #5

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »
Thanks, Durin! Shifts from the first draft.

And now it's starting to shift back, haha.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:42:07 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

April 26, 2020, 10:12:39 AM
Reply #6

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »
Thanks, Durin! Shifts from the first draft.
:up: :)
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

April 26, 2020, 12:53:23 PM
Reply #7

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
[3] Isengard Insurrectionist [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 2
Site: 3
To play, spot an [Isengard] man.
Maneuver: If you cannot spot 3 Free Peoples cultures, you may add 1 to the number of Free Peoples cultures that any player can spot until the end of the turn to play an [Isengard] condition from your discard pile.
"'It is not to be wondered at: webs of deceit were ever woven in Dwimordene.'"

I always thought the multi-cultural hate introduced in BoHD and continued in EoF was an extremely short-sighted design decision by Decipher. The "rainbow fellowships" seen in the FotR and early TTT metas were largely a function of the limited card pools available at the time. The game was always destined to shift to more homogeneous fellowships as the card pool expanded, since fellowships with fewer cultures tend to be inherently superior due to the ability to use the full supporting card pool (possessions, conditions, and events) on a greater number of eligible companions. If anything, the design philosophy should have encouraged decks with greater cross-cultural diversity, rather than less.

Isengard Insurrection is intended to still work within the existing [Isengard] man framework of targeting Free Peoples cultures but with a twist: instead of punishing the Free Peoples players for using more cultures, it instead only activates against fellowships with fewer cultures - with the added bonus of making the largest [Isengard] man (Agents of Orthanc) viable against these fellowships.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:57:03 PM by Inspire »

April 26, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
Reply #8

GooeyChewie

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »
I came here from the Trek boards!  Funny thing, the "Fill in the Blank" series was inspired by speculative cardlists, which I originally did for LotR back in the day.  The whole thing has come full circle now!

I admit I fell out of this game when Decipher lumped all the Shadows cultures together by race.  It'll be interesting to get back into it and figure out the themes for each culture.

[5] •Azog, The Defiler [Orc]
Minion • Orc
Strength: 13
Vitality: 3
Site: 4
When you play Azog, if the fellowship is at an underground site, add [3] to the twilight pool.
"Your grandfather Thrór was killed, you remember, in the mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:40:17 PM by GooeyChewie »

April 27, 2020, 04:28:14 PM
Reply #9

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
I came here from the Trek boards!  Funny thing, the "Fill in the Blank" series was inspired by speculative cardlists, which I originally did for LotR back in the day.  The whole thing has come full circle now!

I did speculative lists too!! I *think* I started doing them for LotR during Ents of Fangorn, but I 100% guarantee I was influenced by you! *does math* oh god that was... too long ago. Another age of this earth.

Quote from: TheGooChew
I admit I fell out of this game when Decipher lumped all the Shadows cultures together by race.  It'll be interesting to get back into it and figure out the themes for each culture.

Most people did. There are a handful of awesome/cool cards post-Shadows!

Quote from: TheGooChew
[5] Azog, The Defiler [Orc]
Minion • Orc
Strength: 13
Vitality: 3
Site: 4
When you play this minion, if the fellowship is at an underground site, add [3] to the pool.
"Your grandfather Thrór was killed, you remember, in the mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin."

I don't want to step on your design but in terms of tidying it up: Mr Azog requests a Unique dot, "this minion" to be replaced with his name, and "pool" should be be "twilight pool".

Thanks for hopping in ;D I've taken an equally-unfamiliar stab at a card submission over on the Trek forums!

April 29, 2020, 11:19:59 AM
Reply #10

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
and "pool" should be be "twilight pool".

I don't know what planet I was on when I said that.

Anywho. If nobody objects to moving along, I'll close submissions for Round #1 tomorrow?