LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #6  (Read 5141 times)

May 30, 2020, 10:52:20 PM
Read 5141 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #6
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »
Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision.

Last week's winner...
SGollum claims the next card in the set with their card Sméagol Lied! Congrats! There's a bonus to be found over on the facebook group!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #21...

Quote from: Entry #1
[2] Saved From Cirith Ungol [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
If the Fellowship is at any site 8, spot another hobbit and discard Mithril-coat to wound a minion Frodo is skirmishing twice.

Designer's notes:
I made this card to represent the greed that the orcs have when arguing over Frodo's mithril coat. By restricting this ability to site 8 it is thematic and not too powerful. The high twilight cost gives the Shadow player a chance to play another minion on site 9. I also had solo Frodo decks in mind while making this card as that is my favorite deck.

Quote from: Entry #2
[3] •Bandobras, Bullroarer Took [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength 6  Vitality 4  Resistance 8
Took. Defender +1.
Discard Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
Each Hobbit is strength +1 and damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Bandobras to wound a minion not assigned to a skirmish twice.
"He charged the ranks of the goblins... and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club."

Designer's notes:
He brings a totally different experience when playing a [Shire] deck, discarding the previous core of characters except Bilbo (and Frodo or Sam BoGN if carrying the Ring) and replacing them with a totally new key figure that actually likes to skirmish. The Bullroarer can surround himself with peasants like Farmer Maggot HotM, Fatty Bolger, Tolman Cotton and Westfarthing Businessman and turn them into killing machines in the battle front!
Besides his big stats and the battle boost to the whole Shire, Bandobras can fend 2 foes simultaneously and even maim or finish minions that already fought their skirmishes (or that never were in one, like Rabble Rouser or KoI).

Quote from: Entry #3
[1] •Merry, Conspirator [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 3
Vitality: 4
Signet: Frodo
At the start of each of your turns, you may shuffle your hand into your draw deck and draw 5 cards.
"‘Ever since this spring we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account. You are not going to escape so easily!'"

Designer's notes:
Dialing in the right draw amount was a challenge for me - 6 felt like too much (and I didn't want pseudo-mulligan Merry outshining the real thing) - however 4 felt like too few, especially once you start getting into formats with initiative. 5 cards seems like enough to rescue you from a bad draw or two each game, but not so many as to make it a common occurrence.

Quote from: Entry #4
(0) Leaving the Shire [Shire]
Event • Response
If the fellowship moves from a dwelling site, shuffle X [Shire] allies into your draw deck to reveal the top X cards of an opponent's draw deck. Remove [1] for each Shadow card revealed.
"'I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined that as a kind of holiday, a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me...'"

This week's contest is...
Card #8!

There are quite a few options for your designs to take this week. Have at it, you fiends!

• A [Gollum] card (after Sméagol Lied)
  • A [Gondor] card
  • An [Isengard] card
  • A [Men] card
  • A [Moria] card (before Wrested Kingdom)

Closing date: June 6th. Good luck!

Lairs Card List
Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
2. Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
8. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
14. Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
20. Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
21. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE

May 31, 2020, 03:07:46 AM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #6
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:07:46 AM »
Quote from: menace64
[b
SGollum[/b] claims the next card in the set with their card Sméagol Lied! Congrats! There's a bonus to be found over on the facebook group!

A very nice card. I really do like it, but now we can only have 2 cards from Dwarven, Elven, Gandalf and most of Gollum. For that reason alone, I thought it unviable: I was looking forward to designing cards for those cultures. Plus at now have loads to do between Gollum and Moria.

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #21...

Quote from: Entry #1
[2] Saved From Cirith Ungol [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
If the Fellowship is at any site 8, spot another hobbit and discard Mithril-coat to wound a minion Frodo is skirmishing twice.
I feel that this doesn't need the site 8 requirement, which turns it from ok to virtually unplayable. Very nice flavour, though. Comparing it to PathS or No Use that Way, discarding the artifact and only working on Frodo seems enough.

Quote from: Entry #2
[3] •Bandobras, Bullroarer Took [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength 6  Vitality 4  Resistance 8
Took. Defender +1.
Discard Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
Each Hobbit is strength +1 and damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Bandobras to wound a minion not assigned to a skirmish twice.
"He charged the ranks of the goblins... and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club."

Personally I find it hard to justify a new keyword in such a small set. I can see that he'd make Westfarthing Businessman tolerable, but those decks lose to Nazgul so badly that you just can't play them

Quote from: Entry #3
[1] •Merry, Conspirator [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 3
Vitality: 4
Signet: Frodo
At the start of each of your turns, you may shuffle your hand into your draw deck and draw 5 cards.
"‘Ever since this spring we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account. You are not going to escape so easily!'"

I love it! Really creative and a good flavour for a mischievous rascal. My favourite card I've seen designed in this whole competition. My only issue with it is that is likely only to be used in Open with Horn Filter and Mordor Fiend as a way to try give another chance to draw the one Fiend: it make that deck a whole lot better.

Quote from: Entry #4
(0) Leaving the Shire [Shire]
Event • Response
If the fellowship moves from a dwelling site, shuffle X [Shire] allies into your draw deck to reveal the top X cards of an opponent's draw deck. Remove [1] for each Shadow card revealed.
"'I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined that as a kind of holiday, a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me...'"

A very nice flavour as well, but perhaps a bit weak. I could even see it work better as a condition. Perhaps it's just me, but I really dislike cards that shuffle FP cards the deck (Grimir, Fireworks and Bilbo, RA). They just make it so you are likely to draw them during your shadow turn which is when you need to draw minions. Even as a condition, I wouldn't play it, but others might. The Twilight saved would just be added back when you replay them in subsequent turns.

May 31, 2020, 05:58:12 AM
Reply #2

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:58:12 AM »
 [1] Fulfill the Oath [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 [Gondor] Wraiths. The Shadow has the initiative regardless of the Free Poeples player's hand. Each exhausted [Gondor] Wraith is strength +2 and damage +1. Discard this condition during the regroup phase.
Designer's Notes: I tried to make this card similar to Blades Drawn while also preventing the player from using this card and Swept Away to make the Wraith deck unstoppable. The one thing I don't like about this card is the fact that it would trigger all those "if you lose initiative" cards that already seem powerful. However, since the condition must spot 3 Wraiths, it prevents this from being done so easily as it would prevent splashing. The huge benefit of this card would be that it would prevent Swept Away from being in every [Gondor] Wraith deck.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:07:32 AM by SGollum »
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

May 31, 2020, 01:16:28 PM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
[1] Sheltered Hollow [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a Ranger.  Discard this condition if you can spot more than four companions or four minions.
Fellowship: Exert a Ranger or add [3] to reveal four cards at random from an opponent's hand.  Draw one card per Shadow card revealed.

'Rangers have been here lately.  Is is they who left the firewood behind.'

----

The flavor here combines the aspects of discovering the Ranger's cache at the foot of Weathertop, and the risk of climbing to the top to survey the surrounding area. 
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

June 01, 2020, 05:55:19 AM
Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 05:55:19 AM »
(0) •Sewers of Osgiliath [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When the fellowship moves from site 7[T], you may take a [Gollum] event and a [Shire] event into hand from your discard pile.
Regroup: Exert a Ring-bound Man and discard this condition to discard a wounded minion.
"' Go, Frodo. Go with the goodwill of all Men.'"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:00:27 AM by menace64 »

June 01, 2020, 06:00:03 AM
Reply #5

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 06:00:03 AM »
Quote from: Legion
A very nice card. I really do like it, but now we can only have 2 cards from Dwarven, Elven, Gandalf and most of Gollum. For that reason alone, I thought it unviable: I was looking forward to designing cards for those cultures. Plus at now have loads to do between Gollum and Moria.

Constraints produce unique results, imo. I understand where you're coming from though! We'll need to do another contest focusing more on Free Peoples cultures to balance the loss of slots for [Dwarven], [Elven], and [Gandalf];D

June 01, 2020, 07:57:04 AM
Reply #6

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »
Quote from: Legion

Constraints produce unique results, imo. I understand where you're coming from though! We'll need to do another contest focusing more on Free Peoples cultures to balance the loss of slots for [Dwarven], [Elven], and [Gandalf];D

Set 4 only had 3 Shadow cultures :)

June 01, 2020, 08:02:22 AM
Reply #7

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:02:22 AM »
Set 4 only had 3 Shadow cultures :)

Which is strange to me, since TTT feels like one of the more robust sets for Shadow cultures. I mean, there's Dunland, Isengard trackers, Isengard site control, Isengard archers, Easterlings, Southrons... pretty diverse options for just the three cultures.

June 01, 2020, 03:04:33 PM
Reply #8

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 03:04:33 PM »

Which is strange to me, since TTT feels like one of the more robust sets for Shadow cultures. I mean, there's Dunland, Isengard trackers, Isengard site control, Isengard archers, Easterlings, Southrons... pretty diverse options for just the three cultures.

Borderline off topic here, but I think Towers block had very lousy Shire cards because they focused on discarding (something I don't like much) and wounding (something I like a lot) rather than have any strength pumps outside of Impatient and Angry. If Frodo is about to be overwhelmed, he just gets killed (outside Severed His Bonds). This gives me an idea that we should consider doing expansion sets for blocks instead of the entire game as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:06:34 PM by SGollum »

June 01, 2020, 03:41:20 PM
Reply #9

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 03:41:20 PM »
Quote from: SGollum
This gives me an idea that we should consider doing expansion sets for blocks instead of the entire game as a whole.

Heck yeah! There's been a lot of talk in the facebook group about releasing smaller virtual sets (like 20-50 cards per set), each focusing on chapters from the books. There's also been some conceptualization for block-centric sets. All of this is doable.

June 01, 2020, 05:02:50 PM
Reply #10

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 05:02:50 PM »
[1] At the Sign of the Prancing Pony [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Stealth.
Spot a ranger and discard a pipeweed possession to cancel a skirmish involving a [Gondor] or [Shire] companion (except the Ring-bearer).
"When they saw them they were glad that they had taken his advice: the windows had been forced open and were swinging, and the curtains were flapping; the beds were tossed about, and the bolsters slashed and flung upon the floor..."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:20:37 PM by Inspire »

June 01, 2020, 05:13:50 PM
Reply #11

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
Heck yeah! There's been a lot of talk in the facebook group about releasing smaller virtual sets (like 20-50 cards per set), each focusing on chapters from the books. There's also been some conceptualization for block-centric sets. All of this is doable.

See if they want to host it here. I have no desire to do Facebook.

June 01, 2020, 06:06:01 PM
Reply #12

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »

I've been plugging the forums whenever possible, but so far I don't think I've seen any uptick in activity. That's actually sort of a fundamental issue in the LotR community at the moment: many on GEMP won't go anywhere else; most on TLHH are happy right here; the discord is silent despite revamps and promoting; and most on Facebook can't be bothered to click links. The way I see it, the sooner we centralize on a "Player's Council" website, the better.

But yes, direct work on Virtual Sets would NOT be done on facebook.

June 01, 2020, 07:12:20 PM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »

Posts are pretty slow here; I think the reason people use the Facebook group is because it's pretty darn active, like, 15 threads per day with 3-20 responses each active.  It's a hard sell to switch gears to a slower format that would mostly see activity from those migrating.  

There is however also a Discord server we're trying to build up, if that's any acceptable half-way point: https://discord.gg/mmyYfJ7
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

June 01, 2020, 07:45:38 PM
Reply #14

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »
[1] At the Sign of the Prancing Pony [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Spot a ranger and discard a pipeweed possession to cancel a skirmish involving a [Gondor] or [Shire] companion (except the Ring-bearer).
"When they saw them they were glad that they had taken his advice: the windows had been forced open and were swinging, and the curtains were flapping; the beds were tossed about, and the bolsters slashed and flung upon the floor..."

This can cancel a skirmish involving Sam at site 9 and them Sam can use Bane of the Eight Legs to be nearly unstoppable. However, with a small edit you will have a very good card.