LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #7  (Read 2468 times)

June 07, 2020, 04:58:07 PM
Read 2468 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #7
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision.

Last week's winner...
Inspire wins with the intrepid Merry, Conspirator! Check out facebook or the discord page (pm me for links to either!) for a bonus!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #8...

Quote from: Entry #1
[1] Fulfill the Oath [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 [Gondor] Wraiths. The Shadow has the initiative regardless of the Free Poeples player's hand. Each exhausted [Gondor] Wraith is strength +2 and damage +1. Discard this condition during the regroup phase.

Designer's notes:
I tried to make this card similar to Blades Drawn while also preventing the player from using this card and Swept Away to make the Wraith deck unstoppable. The one thing I don't like about this card is the fact that it would trigger all those "if you lose initiative" cards that already seem powerful. However, since the condition must spot 3 Wraiths, it prevents this from being done so easily as it would prevent splashing. The huge benefit of this card would be that it would prevent Swept Away from being in every [Gondor] Wraith deck.

Quote from: Entry #2
[1] Sheltered Hollow [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a ranger.  Discard this condition if you can spot more than four companions or four minions.
Fellowship: Exert a ranger or add [3] to reveal four cards at random from an opponent's hand.  Draw one card per Shadow card revealed.
'Rangers have been here lately.  It is they who left the firewood behind.'

Designer's notes:
The flavor here combines the aspects of discovering the Ranger's cache at the foot of Weathertop, and the risk of climbing to the top to survey the surrounding area.

Quote from: Entry #3
(0) •Sewers of Osgiliath [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When the fellowship moves from site 7[T], you may take a [Gollum] event and a [Shire] event into hand from your discard pile.
Regroup: Exert a Ring-bound Man and discard this condition to discard a wounded minion.
"' Go, Frodo. Go with the goodwill of all Men.'"

Quote from: Entry #4
[1] At the Sign of the Prancing Pony [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Stealth.
Spot a ranger and discard a pipeweed possession to cancel a skirmish involving a [Gondor] or [Shire] companion (except the Ring-bearer).
"When they saw them they were glad that they had taken his advice: the windows had been forced open and were swinging, and the curtains were flapping; the beds were tossed about, and the bolsters slashed and flung upon the floor..."

Quote from: Entry #5
(0) •Boromir's Cloak, Weatherworn [Gondor]
Possession • Cloak
Resistance +1
Bearer must be Boromir.
Each time Boromir is about to exert, you may discard 2 [Gondor] cards (or a [Gondor] tale) from hand to place no token for that exertion.
"...indeed though his garments were rich, and his cloak was lined with fur, they were stained with long travel."

This week's contest is...
Card #16!

This one is going to shape the fate of many cultures moving forward, so pay close attention to how your card may affect future card positions. This card can be:

• A [Moria] card (after Wrested Kingdom)
  • An [Orc] card
  • A [Raider] card
  • A [Rohan] card
  • A [Sauron] card
  • A [Shire] card (before Bag End Hearth)

Closing date: June 13th. Good luck!

Lairs Card List
Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
2. Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
8. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
14. Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
16. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
20. Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
21. Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5

June 07, 2020, 07:13:03 PM
Reply #1

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #7
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:13:03 PM »
[6]•Ulaire Attea, Khamûl [Raider]
Minion • Nazgûl
Strength 12 Vitality 3 Site 3
Fierce. Ambush [1].
To play, spot an Easterling. Each time Ulaire Attea wins a skirmish, you may exert him and spot an Easterling to add a burden (or 2 burdens if you can spot 7 companions).

Designer Notes:
Obviously, we need some minions in this set. The idea with this Nazgûl is similar to the Rohan Aragorn: same character, different culture. I thought we could spice things up with Attea's orgins (or you could say Lair). The 2 burden punishment is to make up for the high cost of this minion.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:27:25 AM by SGollum »
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 07, 2020, 07:39:42 PM
Reply #2

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:42 PM »
Unless you're got something greater in mind, "[Raider] Easterling" can be shortened just to "Easterling".

June 08, 2020, 06:10:12 AM
Reply #3

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
Unless you're got something greater in mind, "[Raider] Easterling" can be shortened just to "Easterling".

I was trying to exclude the [Men] culture but since no other cards in 1-10 say something like that I'll change it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:27:39 AM by SGollum »
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 08, 2020, 06:15:07 PM
Reply #4

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »
Quote from: Entry #2
[1] Sheltered Hollow [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a ranger.  Discard this condition if you can spot more than four companions or four minions.
Fellowship: Exert a ranger or add [3] to reveal four cards at random from an opponent's hand.  Draw one card per Shadow card revealed.
'Rangers have been here lately.  It is they who left the firewood behind.'

Designer's notes:
The flavor here combines the aspects of discovering the Ranger's cache at the foot of Weathertop, and the risk of climbing to the top to survey the surrounding area.

This got my vote. Although small fellowships have limited vitality to spare and generally survive on limiting the twilight pool, the draw feature still feels a bit too strong. Ultimately however, the first line of game text won me over: it's unique in its design as a self-imposed limit on fellowship size and an interesting deviation from the rule of five. 

On a related note, I wish Decipher had opted to enforce fellowship size on a gradient rather than an arbitrary rule of five. The design in FotR hinted at this (see Savagery to Match Their Numbers or The Number Must Be Few) but Decipher eventually abandoned it in favor of fully embracing the rule of five (which granted, was likely much easier to design for).

June 12, 2020, 08:04:20 AM
Reply #5

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »
[1] •Orkish Lair [Orc]
Condition • Support Area
To play, exert 2 Orcs.
Shadow: Play an Orc stacked here.
Regroup: If there are 3 or fewer cards stacked here, remove [1] to stack an Orc from hand or from play here.
"...broken rock and blasted earth, the vomit of the maggot-folk of Mordor..."

Tried to inject some "Lair-y-ness" into the set with a truly generic Orkish card. Dunno if the balance is quite right but there ya go.

June 12, 2020, 05:25:50 PM
Reply #6

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
Tried to inject some "Lair-y-ness" into the set with a truly generic Orkish card. Dunno if the balance is quite right but there ya go.
I had nothing to post in this round (feels too early for [Rohan] or [Sauron]), until you brought the idea of an absolutely generic Orc card (bravo!). Here's my try, borrowing your concept:

(0) Orkish Whip [Orc]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be an Orc.
Bearer is a lurker.
Shadow: Exert another Orc to add [1] or draw a card.
"'Where there's a whip there's a will, my slugs. Hold up!'"

Can give the useful lurker keyword to the likes of Archer Commander, Guard Commander, Gorbag CC or Advance Captain, and as a 3-card combo (along with bearer and at least a second Orc) can turn extra vitality into cards or twilight to deploy your Swarm / Beatdown / Whatever.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

June 12, 2020, 06:44:07 PM
Reply #7

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »
:o If Orkish Whip wins in the next round, I will be satisfied for having been the spark which led you to write it. That is a sublime card idea!

June 13, 2020, 02:22:19 PM
Reply #8

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
[2] Called to His Service [Raider]
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a [Raider] Man to add a burden.
At the start of the assignment phase, the Free Peoples player may discard this condition to prevent a minion from being assigned to a skirmish until the regroup phase.
"'They have passed on to the Black Gate; but more may follow. Always more people coming to Mordor. One day all the peoples will be inside.'"

It's essentially a 'unique' event, while also constraining its use to Easterling corruption shadows rather than Easterling Captain-focused shadows. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:31:56 PM by Inspire »