LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #10  (Read 4190 times)

June 28, 2020, 02:24:12 PM
Read 4190 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #10
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision - but each of the tied cards will appear in the final set card list.

On to Stuff!

Last week's winner...
    menace64 wins his second card, •Balin, Lord of Moria! And hey, now that the graphic-ban is lifted, here's what it looks like!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #6...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [1] Tasty Fish [Gollum](FP)
    Possession
    To play, add a burden. Plays on Sméagol.
    Skirmish: Discard your [Gollum] card to make Sméagol strength +1 for each burden you can spot.
    "It's nice to eat a tasty fish, so juicy sweet!"

Quote from: Entry #2
    [4] •Aragorn, Unrevealed [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Strength: 8
    Vitality: 4
    Signet: Frodo
    Ranger.
    Each time the fellowship moves, you may make each opponent draw 2 cards to subtract 1 from the number of companions that any player can spot until the start of the regroup phase.  
    "‘If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so.'"

Designer's notes:
    The "rule of five" was primarily a product of the standard eight card hand, since for many Shadows (particularly of the swarm variety), defeating a fellowship of nine companions with eight cards is an exceedingly difficult task. Aragorn provides an opportunity for the Free Peoples player to bend the rule of five, while correspondingly scaling up the Shadow player's resources to compensate for the additional companion.  

Quote from: Entry #3
    [4] •Aragorn, Bearer of Weakness [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Strength 7  Vitality 4  [Ring] Resistance 7
    Defender +1. Ring-bound. Ranger.
    While Aragorn is the Ring-bearer, [Gondor] cards he bears lose all special abilities and each Shadow card is twilight cost -1.
    Each time you play a [Gondor] artifact or a [Gondor] tale, you may draw a card.
    "'...for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely.'"

Designer's notes:
    No moving or skirmish penalty at all with a str 7 [Gondor] Ranger who can wield Anduril and fight 2 foes at once, but whose bold advance towards Orodruin makes each Shadow card cheaper so the hammer will be falling heavier than ever. The real penalty is turning Beatdown shadows into Swarm ones (and regular Swarm into Stupid Swarm) while shutting down the special ability of Aragorn's Bow. The defender bonus will be surprisingly useful for a Ring-bearer, just to avoid your support companions from being erased while Aragorn defeats foes more easily (KotG, PATHS, CotS, Crown of Gondor, Swordarm of the White Tower), or survives them with less harm. Yes, your RB is your main tank.
    As a regular companion, he's a RB Ranger version of Heir of Elendil, with access to all the RB Ranger tricks and diplomatic immunity.

Quote from: Entry #4
    [2] •Ithilien Quartermaster [Gondor]
    Ally • Man
    Strength: 5
    Vitality: 2
    Ranger.
    This ally participates in archery fire.
    Fellowship: Discard a [Gondor] fortification and spot a ranger bearing no possessions to play a [Gondor] possession from your draw deck on that ranger.

Designer's notes:
    Surely there are guys slinking behind the scenes, keeping Our Troops armed while only battling on the periphery where possible?  Also rangers don't have homes, so there's that.

Quote from: Entry #5
    [4] Worse Than Orcs [Gollum](SH)
    Event • Skirmish
    Remove up to 4 Orc cards in your discard pile from the game. For each card removed, make Shelob strength +2.
    "Out of it came a stench, not the sickly odour of decay in the meads of Morgul, but a foul reek, as if filth unnameable were piled and hoarded in the dark within."

Designer's notes:
    If you go all-out it makes Shelob strength +8.

This week's contest is...
    Card #18!

Back to the Shadow, baby!

• A [Raider] card (after Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl)
    • A [Wraith] card*
    • A [Rohan] card
    • A [Sauron] card
    • A [Shire] card (before Bag End Hearth)

*although if y'all think the Ringwraith/Wraith culture should fall after Shire, I can remove it from this week's consideration.

Closing date: July 4th! Good luck!

:cheers: Lairs Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
    2. •Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
    3. •Balin, Lord of Moria ([Dwarven] • Ally) - menace64 - 8
    5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
    6. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
    8. Sheltered Hollow ([Gondor] • Condition) - TelTura - 6
    14. •Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
    16. •Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl ([Raider] • Minion) - SGollum - 7
    18. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
    20. •Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
    21. •Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5

The Misadventure Deck (cards that lost due to tied-decision but will appear in final cardlist! Maybe?)
    26. •Durin's Axe, Omen of Fortune
    27. From Lowest Dungeon to Highest Peak
    28. Orkish Whip
    29. •Mountains of Shadow
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:31:11 PM by menace64 »

June 28, 2020, 02:32:15 PM
    Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
      • Player's Council Discord
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #10
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
    *although if y'all think the Ringwraith/Wraith culture should fall after Shire, I can remove it from this week's consideration.

I am firmly on the side of using Ringwraith over Wraith.
    Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

June 28, 2020, 05:00:53 PM
    Reply #2

SGollum

• Information Offline
    • Uruk-hai
    • The Smeags
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »

I am firmly on the side of using Ringwraith over Wraith.

As a 1-10 player I second this.
    Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 28, 2020, 05:20:30 PM
    Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
    Back to the Shadow, baby!
    Where are the Riders of Rohan? Will they come, master Menace?

From Set 11 to 19, it's always after [Shire]. Also, only in those Sets we can find [Orc] cards, like the Orkish Whip. And finally, is only in those Sets where we can find [Uruk] cards too.

So if we are rigorous with either "Pre-Shadows" or "Standard" formats, having Black Riders before Mordor Orcs (Pre-Shadows) would force us to disqualify the Orkish Whip, and also to prevent the inclusion of [Uruk] cards after [Shire] ones (or anywhere). That leaves only [Shire], Sites and Premium character cards for slots #22 to #25. While Standard format would potentially include [Uruk] and [Wraith] in that end.

That if we are going to be rigorous, which is not necessarily true. I for one vote for Standard (Wraith, no prefix).
    Having in Slots #17-19 4 cultures and not 5 ([Raider], [Rohan], [Sauron], [Shire]) and for slots #22-25 5 cultures/types/premium and not 3 ([Shire], [Uruk], [Wraith], Sites and Premium characters) will be much more balanced.
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:23:42 PM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

June 28, 2020, 06:21:33 PM
    Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
    I can't believe I neglected another culture! Argh! If I do that one more time, free coupons for everyone!

The presence of Orkish Whip does lean me towards Wraith rather than Ringwraith.

June 28, 2020, 06:38:06 PM
    Reply #5

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
    Been waiting a long while to post this guy (much before Inspire posted his [Dwarven] event, I swear!):

[3] •The Mouth of Sauron, Horseman in the Night [Sauron]
    Minion • Man
    Strength 9  Vitality 3  Site 4
    Shadow: At region X, remove a threat to make a character (except the Ring-bearer) strength -X until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add [2] instead.
    Maneuver: Shuffle X Orc or Man minions into your draw deck to add X threats.
    "'Consider well, but not too long.'"

Play a force of Orc/Man minions and postpone the assault (shuffle them into deck) to threaten Erebor. Or convert your threats into resources to turn those words into action, if Dain Ironfoot doesn't yield and snitch on dear old Bilbo.

As the game advances, the Maneuver skill will enrich your deck's minion ratio, while the Shadow one will be favouring twilight addition, allowing to play those minions in big groups for a much more brutal Region 3 confrontation.
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:32:48 PM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

June 28, 2020, 08:33:35 PM
    Reply #6

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
    The card images look really gorgeous! Balin, Khamul and Durin's Axe are my favorites. But where is Mountains of Shadow?

I noticed an error in Balin's text, since cards in the dead pile can't be spotted your 2nd sentence would need to be reworded like "Discard Balin if you spot there are 2 of more Dwarves in the dead pile. Cool card btw!

But do not believe, by a single nanosecond, that your victory with that ally version of Balin will make me desist from posting my companion version for Card #24!

The presence of Orkish Whip does lean me towards Wraith rather than Ringwraith.
    The presence of the Fellowship keyword in Merry, Conspirator also sets this Lairs Set after Ages End (though Inspire didn't write it that way, but is a nice addition anyway).
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:01:00 PM by Durin's Heir »

June 28, 2020, 09:07:57 PM
    Reply #7

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
    Quote from: Durin's Heir
    But where is Mountains of Shadow?

I've rewritten it substantially since it tied-out and didn't want to post something that wasn't what was voted for. (Here it is now.)

I noticed an error in Balin's text, since cards in the dead pile can't be spotted your 2nd sentence would need to be reworded like "Discard Balin if you spot there are 2 of more Dwarves in the dead pile. Cool card btw!

Beautiful catch. Thanks!

But do not believe, by a single nanosecond, that your victory with that ally version of Balin will make me desist from posting my companion version for Card #24!

hahaha bring him on!

The presence of the Fellowship keyword in Merry, Conspirator also sets this Lairs Set after Ages End (though Inspire didn't write it that way, but is a nice addition anyway).

That is certainly an odd situation. I only added Fellowship to Merry for inclusion in this Vset we're working on since we're hoping to build on that keyword a bit. I feel like I should remove it for the purposes of this contest but I suppose that's up to Inspire!

June 28, 2020, 09:47:43 PM
    Reply #8

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:47:43 PM »
    No reason you can't just keep a separate album for contest-exact wording, then move on to iterate on the card for other stuff as needed.
    Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

June 28, 2020, 10:53:42 PM
    Reply #9

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 10:53:42 PM »
    No reason you can't just keep a separate album for contest-exact wording, then move on to iterate on the card for other stuff as needed.

That seems reasonable!

June 29, 2020, 07:20:56 AM
    Reply #10

SGollum

• Information Offline
    • Uruk-hai
    • The Smeags
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 07:20:56 AM »
    [2] •Merry, Rider of Rohan [Rohan]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Strength 5 Vitality 4 Theoden signet
    Maneuver: If Eowyn is mounted, you may stack Merry on Eowyn and add his strength to her until the Regroup phase.

Designer Notes: stacking Merry would remove all his wounds, possessions, artifacts, followers, and conditions (see Web). This is especially a companion version of a follower. This card does not add vitality or resistance because there is no mention in the rules and the card infers it.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:24:31 AM by SGollum »
    Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

July 01, 2020, 11:11:16 PM
    Reply #11

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:16 PM »
    [3] •Udûn Lieutenant [Sauron]
    Minion • Orc
    Strength: 11
    Vitality: 2
    Site Number: 7
    Enduring. To play, exert a [Sauron] Orc.
    Shadow: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to draw 2 cards.
    Skirmish: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to make a [Sauron] Orc strength +3.
    Regroup: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to add [4].
    "'Not much use are you, you little snufflers?'"

I've been thinking a lot about what an Udun subculture might look like, and I figure "wanton disregard for Orcs" is the way to go. I also think Udun Orcs should be Dunland-esque pushed in the strength department, and many of them would be enduring to illustrate how bathed in Sauron's evil they've become.
    "To play, exert a [Sauron] Orc." would be a common theme in the Udun subculture, to easily fuel their enduring boosts.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:20:35 PM by menace64 »

July 02, 2020, 01:53:54 PM
    Reply #12

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
    Don't know if it's right or not to criticize your card and new subculture, but while the idea is very flavorful and fresh, Dunlendings that roam until site 6 and lack wound prevention would fail horribly vs Archery and direct wounding. And this Set will be (very likely) too short to allow for that much needed wound prevention.

His stats are equal to Tower Assassin, except for -1 vit and "exert another Orc" to be played as cons (total -2 vit vs Archery), and enduring as the only pro... so I'd reduce the twilight cost to [3]. All [Sauron] Orcs with exertion costs should cost -1 than regular [Sauron] Orcs IMO.

But you can push that cost reduction even more (-2 than regular [Sauron] guys with the same stats) by increasing the Site Number to 7: a str 9 vit 3 Udun Orc costing [1], and a str 7 vit 2 one costing (0)... but + [2] before Site 7, AND also needing another [Sauron] Orc first in play (to exert, not just spot); it's cost would be paid in blood. That cheapness can balance the lack of wound prevention (by having a 60+% minion ratio, and throwing them in big chunks), while also turning the part of the story when the Captains of The West attack Mordor itself into an authentic living #$&*@!! Would be kinda the opposite of Beatdown Nazgul (or non site control [Dunland] to some extent), who must strike hard before the Fellowship sets up, unless they want an uphill battle.

It's just an opinion. Hope it helps. Don't really know why I'm saying this now, I could mention those vulnerabilities at the beginning of the next round for my benefit ("never interfere with your foe's mistakes"). The card is very cool already and has great potential.

July 03, 2020, 06:45:07 PM
    Reply #13

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 06:45:07 PM »
    [2] Southern Stranger [Wraith]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 6
    Vitality: 1
    Site: 2
    Nazgul may not use maneuver special abilities.
    When you play this minion, reveal X [Wraith] cards from your hand (limit 5). The Free Peoples player must add [X] or make the number of burdens that any player may spot +X until the regroup phase.  
    "'An account of your performance would be very interesting to certain people. It seems to me only too likely that they will hear of it before this night is over.'"

The [Wraith] culture introduced a handful of cards which had not-insignificant burden-spotting requirements in sets 1-3, namely Ulaire Toldea, MoM, Dark Whispers, Nazgul Sword, They Will Find the Ring, and Threshold of Shadow. As devoting significant resources to adding burdens in a non-corruption deck was impractical (and these cards had no place in a twilight Nazgul deck), these cards were generally lightly utilized at best. Additionally, from sets 1-6 the [Wraith] culture suffered from a lack of low-twillight cost supporting minions (a problem finally rectified in set 7).

Southern Stranger allows the Shadow player to meet the spot requirements of these cards, while not actually adding any burdens (note that the Ring-bearer can't be corrupted by spotting burdens - they must be actually placed). Additionally, it gives the Shadow player the opportunity to bluff by selectively revealing (or not revealing) certain cards from hand in order to influence the Free Peoples player into selecting the option they want.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:54:26 PM by Inspire »

July 03, 2020, 09:47:44 PM
    Reply #14

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
    « Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 09:47:44 PM »
    (note that the Ring-bearer can't be corrupted by spotting burdens - they must be actually placed)

The Irresistible Shadow begs to differ :P