LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 102123 times)

July 27, 2011, 11:52:03 AM
Reply #180

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
And to keep the theme, its counterpart:

Compulsive Research [2](U)
Sorcery
Draw three cards, then discard two cards unless you discard a land card.
C

And a new card, for value.

Forcecage [3](U)
Enchantment - Aura
When Forcecage is attached to a creature, draw a card.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and loses all abilities.
C

July 28, 2011, 07:28:16 AM
Reply #181

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
So, no love for commons, heh? Shuld I just go ahead and post commons in larger chunks? Like, at least 1 per color?

July 28, 2011, 07:45:49 AM
Reply #182

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
Maybe something like this?

Black Breath [2](B)
Sorcery
Target creature gets -1/-1 until the end of the turn.
C

Mummy Rot [1](B)
Instant
Destroy target non-black, non-zombie creature.
C

Stress Out (B)(B)
Sorcery
Target player discards two cards.
C
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:47:52 AM by FM »

July 29, 2011, 12:36:50 PM
Reply #183

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
I reworked Annointment to uncommon since it's a pretty powerful boost for a low mana cost, and also for flavor reasons, it should not be commonplace for people to simply be knighted left and right. Also, due to the removal of manaburning, which used to keep the non-basic lands with basic subtypes in check, I reworded them to specifically "manaburn" for each use of the ability. Makes them less good, since you can't simply hitch a ride when you're casting something anyway, but also keeps them in check without removing this interaction entirely (as requiring them to tap for the ability would).

July 29, 2011, 01:09:04 PM
Reply #184

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
Maybe something like this?

Black Breath [2](B)
Sorcery
C

I assume there is only meant to be one line of text? Also, it seems a little weak when compared to, oh, say, Quag Sickness which is a permanent, costs the same, and usually does much more than -1/-1. I'd make it only cost (B), replace -1/-1 with -2/-2 and be an Instant.

Mummy Rot [1](B)
Instant
Destroy target non-black, non-zombie creature.
C

Aren't all Zombies black? I believe they are, and if so, this is definitely better than Terror if you want four more of Doom Blade. In fact this would basically allow someone to effectively pack x8 Doom Blades.

Stress Out (B)(B)
Sorcery
Target player discards two cards.
C

Mind Rot? I thought they reprinted you... Oh wait, yes they did. Stress Out, however is only (B)(B) instead of [2](B). Meaning that if this card actually existed, it would immediately go into my (B) discard deck.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:15:05 PM by Gate Troll »

August 01, 2011, 05:33:09 AM
Reply #185

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:09 AM »
I assume there is only meant to be one line of text? Also, it seems a little weak when compared to, oh, say, Quag Sickness which is a permanent, costs the same, and usually does much more than -1/-1. I'd make it only cost (B), replace -1/-1 with -2/-2 and be an Instant.

No no, that's two lines of text, which is why it's costed that way, since you can target two independent creatures, if you want, or target the same creature twice. It's pretty good (considering the fact it can kill 2 creatures), but not stellar, not every card can have the same power level for Constructed play, and this is more of a Limited card (could still show up in builds, though, like Arc Trail did a while back, mainly to fight Caw-Blade).

Aren't all Zombies black? I believe they are, and if so, this is definitely better than Terror if you want four more of Doom Blade. In fact this would basically allow someone to effectively pack x8 Doom Blades.

Players can already do that, since they printed Go For the Throat (which is actually even better than Doom Blade most of the time, and in most formats). And no, not all zombies are black, Lorwyn Block's changelings come in every color, and Mistform Ultimus is blue (off the top of my head). And since the set is colorbleeding, this is actually foreshadowing of the fact that other colors will have their share of necromancy attempts. ;)

Mind Rot? I thought they reprinted you... Oh wait, yes they did. Stress Out, however is only (B)(B) instead of [2](B). Meaning that if this card actually existed, it would immediately go into my (B) discard deck.

Yes, I didn't wat a straight reprint, so I tweaked the effect. FOr your deck, pack Hymn to Tourach, it's way better than Stress Out, and exists. ;) I basically got a cost that existed, for a very similar effect, and toned it down for the current version of that effect to keep it in check. Plus, Mind Rot is not that great of a card, and I don't expect this to be either, more of a niche card, maybe a sideboard in Limited against bombs you can't really do something about, so you have to hope to get them before they hit play, when the opponent is light on cards.

Thanks for chipping in, GT, it was getting lonely here, now I can keep on trucking!

August 11, 2011, 02:51:24 PM
Reply #186

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Aren't all Zombies black?

I just came back to state that I just found out that, comming Innistrad later this year, blue will also get zombies (Frankenstein's, sort of science-created zombies). Rather amusing. How many stuff does that make that I accidentaly predicted already when doing this? :P

August 12, 2011, 05:30:47 AM
Reply #187

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:47 AM »
I find it cool how you like to stick to the most useless and unlikely details lol like "hey I made this card because of a possible changeling or a future blue zombie"... LMAO seriously, come on... what r the odds... just say you didn't realize there were no zombies outside of black when you did the card lol give this one point to the reviewers, instead of making it look like you thought it all through flawlessly lol

August 12, 2011, 06:48:38 AM
Reply #188

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
Actually changelings are always pretty much imprinted in my head (I have a set of japanese Chameleon Colossi staring at my from my binder whenever I skim through it), so no, I didn't forget that, it was intentional. And as I said, I just find it amusing that it happened IRL, it's not like I foresaw it, just a coincidence, but it's still funny, specially because the last couple of times it happenned, specifically, people were saying that a given card was too powerfull, and a very similar one was then released IRL. Btw, if you have nothing to contribute, don't bother chipping in.

August 12, 2011, 11:55:43 AM
Reply #189

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
hey hey let's not get jumpy! If you don't want any posts here, you could keep the card designs to yourself  :up:

August 14, 2011, 05:06:32 PM
Reply #190

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Ladies, ladies... indoor voices please.  [-X

Let's all be respectful, and remember not to turn this into a gold war.

@FM: I think leokula was just trying to tweak you a bit, and he did make a valid point.

@leokula: I think FM saw you as being a bit nit-picky instead of actually contributing. He also has a valid point- at least you could have chipped in with your own reviews.