LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Encircled by Wraiths - A DC set by Foresight  (Read 12351 times)

May 27, 2009, 01:55:02 AM
Reply #15

Smeagollum

Re: Encircled by Wraiths - A DC set by Foresight
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 01:55:02 AM »
I like the ideas really. The only problem I can think of that there's to much twilightdenial comming into it and in my opinion is that the theme for other cultures then Rohan. But maybe you gonna solve this with twillight creating Shadow. I'm very interested how it evolves and what aggressive will mean.

I like Volley!

May 27, 2009, 01:58:28 AM
Reply #16

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 01:58:28 AM »
[1]Decision to Make [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a [Rohan] companion.
Each aggressive minion assigned to skirmish a mounted [Rohan] man loses aggressive and cannot gain aggressive until the regroup phase.
Regroup:  Discard this condition to choose one:  place a [Rohan] possession from your discard pile on top of your draw deck or shuffle two [Rohan] possessions from your discard pile into your draw deck.
Very interesting. I'm not sure you should have such an easy way to lose one of your set keywords, though. Perhaps it could be more like Lord of the Glittering Caves.

[5] Declaration [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
Assign a minion to skirmish a [Rohan] man to exert that minion and make it strength -2 until the regroup phase.
Fair enough.

[2] War Horse [Rohan]
Possession • Mount
Bearer must be a [Rohan] man.
You may exert a [Rohan] man to play this possession as if were a maneuver event on that man.  If you do, bearer is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.
I don't think you need the extra strength +1, it's still very powerful to play it out of phase.

[3] Volley [Rohan]
Event • Archery
Discard any number of [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to add 1 to the fellowship archery total for each companion discarded this way.
Very interesting card, but again I'm not sure I'd use it. I definitely would, however, if it comboed with Sword Rack! That would be awesome.

[2] Rohirrim Armory
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert a [Rohan] man.  (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert a [Rohan] man or discard this condition.)
Fellowship:  Stack a [Rohan] possession from hand here.
Response:  If a [Rohan] man is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard two [Rohan] possessions from here to prevent that.
You probably don't need to discard 2 possessions, 1 would be enough, but I love the playoff here between exerting a guy and preventing wounds, very cool.

Thranduil

May 27, 2009, 06:54:41 AM
Reply #17

Aragorn_Ellessar

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »
BTW if nobody's noticed I have been rewarding :gp: for the reviews that help me.  So far, that is all of you who have replied!  I'm letting my creativity connect from my head to the computer and churning out new strategies!  That's the whole point of my DC set.  It also lets me think "hmmm, what if existing cards were comboed with these new ones?"  Anywho, one thing wrecks the companion stacking: condition discarding.  Also minions like Black Lord trigger when a companion is played, and if used against this [Rohan] strategy...it won't take long for the ringbearer to be exhausted. ;)  I figured with In-Fighting that my strategy needed a skirmish event.  Now I'm going to make it discard someone stacked and no damage bonus.  Theoden's third line will also be removed.  On with the next!  I believe I will do 20 cards for each culture, so after this next batch there will be only one more for [Rohan]!

Condition • Support Area
Each aggressive minion assigned to skirmish a mounted [Rohan] man loses aggressive and cannot gain aggressive until the regroup phase.
Regroup:  Discard this condition to choose one:  place a [Rohan] possession from your discard pile on top of your draw deck or shuffle two [Rohan] possessions from your discard pile into your draw deck.

Maybe what you could do for the first line is say: ...Assign a minion to a mounted [Rohan] man. Exert that man to make each agressive minion skirmishing him lose aggressive and cannot gain aggressive until the regroup phase... or something with discarding a possession. (Thranduil will have to help me with my wording)

[5] Declaration [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
Assign a minion to skirmish a [Rohan] man to exert that minion and make it strength -2 until the regroup phase.

I like this one

[2] War Horse [Rohan]
Possession • Mount
You may exert a [Rohan] man to play this possession as if were a maneuver event on that man.  If you do, bearer is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.

This is a really good card

[3] Volley [Rohan]
Event • Archery
Discard any number of [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to add 1 to the fellowship archery total for each companion discarded this way.

I really like this one

[2] Rohirrim Armory
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert a [Rohan] man.  (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert a [Rohan] man or discard this condition.)
Response:  If a [Rohan] man is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard two [Rohan] possessions from here to prevent that.

You could probably limit the last line to one [Rohan] possession.

These are quite nice!
One Ring to rule them all.
One Ring to find them.
One Ring to bring them all,
And in the darkness, bind them.

May 27, 2009, 07:59:42 AM
Reply #18

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
BTW if nobody's noticed I have been rewarding :gp: for the reviews that help me.  So far, that is all of you who have replied!  I'm letting my creativity connect from my head to the computer and churning out new strategies!  That's the whole point of my DC set.  It also lets me think "hmmm, what if existing cards were comboed with these new ones?"  Anywho, one thing wrecks the companion stacking: condition discarding.  Also minions like Black Lord trigger when a companion is played, and if used against this [Rohan] strategy...it won't take long for the ringbearer to be exhausted. ;)  I figured with In-Fighting that my strategy needed a skirmish event.  Now I'm going to make it discard someone stacked and no damage bonus.  Theoden's third line will also be removed.  On with the next!  I believe I will do 20 cards for each culture, so after this next batch there will be only one more for [Rohan]!

Condition • Support Area
fine.

[5] Declaration [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
thats be powerful... probably fine though.

[2] War Horse [Rohan]
Possession • Mount
kewl

[3] Volley [Rohan]
Event • Archery
a  limit perhaps? couldn't you just use X's?

[2] Rohirrim Armory
Condition • Support Area
I don't know how useful this is...I think you could cut the upkeep.

I still think The Kings men is way too powerful.  4 exertions on eowyn lady of ithilien a turn? too much. perhaps exchange it with a companion of a different name, limit once per skirmish? IDK but therse got to be a better way to balance it.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 27, 2009, 06:29:56 PM
Reply #19

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Hunting your kind down...
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
I have taken the suggestions for Decision to Make and made it an assignment action that involves exertions.  Also, on the armory I changed it to one possession.  Sickofpalantirs, I changed the wording on King's Men to only being able to swap out an unwounded companion so there won't be any abuse of Lady of Ithilien.  Perhaps that was the change it needed?  :gp: to you all!  You've all proven very helpful to mold my cards to be balanced.  I don't think I want to put up the next batch of cards yet.  Perhaps tomorrow. :up:
Like a force of nature, the Uruks are Unstoppable. [Uruk]

May 29, 2009, 07:02:49 PM
Reply #20

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
[1] Spirited Charge [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Discard a mount borne by your [Rohan] companion to exert a minion skirmishing that companion.

[2] Nighttime Slaughter [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a [Rohan] companion kills a minion in a skirmish, you may stack that companion here (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked here to discard a minion.

[2] Rohirrim Reserves [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +1 for each [Rohan] companion in your discard pile.

[2] Muster the Rohirrim [Rohan]
Event • Fellowship
Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on a [Rohan] condition to stack a [Rohan] companion from your discard pile on that condition.

[6] Out of the Shadow [Rohan]
Event • Maneuver
Toil 2.
Discard two [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to discard a minion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:15:01 AM by Foresight »

May 30, 2009, 06:38:19 AM
Reply #21

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:19 AM »
Kings men is still OP...at leas the way I read it you can still do it once a skirmish, and you get to return dernhelms blade to hand.  it needs to be something like, a companion with a different title

Event • Skirmish
Discard a mount borne by your [Rohan] companion to exert a minion skirmishing that companion.
balanced.

Condition • Support Area
Each time a [Rohan] companion kills a minion in a skirmish, you may stack that companion here (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
I likey.

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +1 for each [Rohan] companion in your discard pile.
limit maybe? not sure what i'd be.

Event • Fellowship
Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on a [Rohan] condition to stack a [Rohan] companion from your discard pile on that condition.
fine

Event • Maneuver
Toil 2.
Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on a [Rohan] condition to discard a condition.
I'm not to happy about giving rohan condition removal, I'd prefer 3 twilight and discard a possession.

a good batch :gp:
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

May 30, 2009, 05:51:26 PM
Reply #22

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
Event • Skirmish
This seems bad to me - I don't think I'd ever want to lose my mount for an exertion. Make it wound (and maybe cost [2]) and then we have an awesome card.

Condition • Support Area
Fair enough.

Event • Skirmish
Seems like [1] would be enough, but nice pump.

Event • Fellowship
Hmmm.... perhaps a bit too combo-reliant?

Event • Maneuver
Toil 2.
Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on a [Rohan] condition to discard a condition.
Yeah, agree with SoP - there's plenty of things that a [Rohan] card could do without having to discard conditions.

Kings men is still OP...at leas the way I read it you can still do it once a skirmish, and you get to return dernhelms blade to hand.  it needs to be something like, a companion with a different title
I think King's Men is really powerful, but personally that seems to me like a very good thing! It opens some amazingly cool decks and combos, and I don't think any text should be added to it that makes it less elegant than it currently is. So FS, I say keep it the way it is!

Thranduil

May 31, 2009, 04:27:51 PM
Reply #23

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
with eowyn lady of ithilien a mount and a blade, you assign a minion to her, exhaust her, than if the minions still alive, return her to hand, play dernhelms blade exert some more.  Though they could always just kill the minion assigned...except with cards like defending the keep and rohirrim mount...
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

May 31, 2009, 04:31:42 PM
Reply #24

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
Perhaps the issue could actually be better addressed by instead letting all the Free Peoples cards borne by that companion going to the discard pile? Then you don't have to worry about Dernhelm's Blade loops.

Thranduil

June 01, 2009, 04:32:14 AM
Reply #25

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 04:32:14 AM »
I changed King's Men to discard possessions and also took the advice to change the condition discarding to minion discarding. :)  Onto the next culture, the [Men]!

[2] Barbaric Dunlending [Men]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 2
Site Number: 4
Aggressive. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
If a skirmish involving this minion is the first skirmish of this move being resolved, it is fierce and strength +4 until the regroup phase.

[1] Blood-Stained Axe [Men]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Bearer must be an [Men] minion.
If bearer is an aggressive minion, bearer is strength +1 for each wound on a companion it is skirmishing.

[4] Fires Raging [Men]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
Upkeep - Spot an aggressive [Men] minion. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot an aggressive [Men] minion or discard this condition.)
While you control 2 sites, each aggressive [Men] minion is damage +1,  fierce, and strength +2.

[3] Horde of Dunland [Men]
Minion • Man
Strength: 9
Vitality: 3
When you play this minion, you may exert it to make it aggressive until the end of the turn. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
Each time an [Men] minion wins a skirmish, you may spot a [Men] minion assigned to a skirmish to take control of a site.

[1] Dunland Battlecry [Men]
Event • Maneuver
Make an [Men] minion aggressive and strength +2 until the regroup phase. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:59:11 PM by Foresight »

June 01, 2009, 04:55:53 AM
Reply #26

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:53 AM »
Minion • Man
Aggressive. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
If this minion's skirmish is being resolved first this turn, it is fierce and strength +4 until the regroup phase.
This would be worded "If no minion is unassigned..." but is a fun idea. :up:

Possession • Hand Weapon
If bearer is an aggressive minion, bearer is strength +1 for each wound on a companion it is skirmishing.
Yeah, it's fair enough. I just wouldn't mind that ability on any minion.

[4] Fires Raging [Men]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
Upkeep - Spot an aggressive [Men] minion. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot an aggressive [Men] minion or discard this condition.)
While you control 2 sites, each aggressive [Men] minion is damage +1fierce, and strength +2.
I think I might try something slightly different: "Upkeep - spot 2 sites you control" and then have the ability start at "Each aggressive..." Either way, it seems a fun card.

Minion • Man
When you play this minion, you may exert it to make it aggressive until the end of the turn. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
Response:  Each time an [Men] minion wins a skirmish, you may spot a [Men] minion assigned to a skirmish to take control of a site.
It can't be a response, or you control every site from winning 1 skirmish. I would make it "Each time this minion wins a skirmish..." to make the aggressive clause more obviously relevant.

Event • Shadow
Make an [Men] minion aggressive and strength +2 until the regroup phase. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)
It's fine, seems a bit more like a maneuver or assignment event though.

Thranduil

June 02, 2009, 11:02:12 AM
Reply #27

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
I changed King's Men to discard possessions and also took the advice to change the condition discarding to minion discarding. :)  Onto the next culture, the [Men]!
I'm happy now

Minion • Man
If this minion's skirmish is being resolved first this turn, it is fierce and strength +4 until the regroup phase.
kewl.

Possession • Hand Weapon
fine.

[4] Fires Raging [Men]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
While you control 2 sites, each aggressive [Men] minion is damage +1fierce, and strength +2.
probably fine.  though toil 1 is next to useless, I'd go toil 2 or cut it entirely.
Minion • Man
Response:  Each time an [Men] minion wins a skirmish, you may spot a [Men] minion assigned to a skirmish to take control of a site.
oh, BTW :gp: for helper text!

Event • Shadow
I'd make it a maneuver event.
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

June 19, 2009, 12:18:54 PM
Reply #28

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Foresight
Minion • Man
If a skirmish involving this minion is the first skirmish of this move being resolved, it is fierce and strength +4 until the regroup phase.
Not sure "move" is the right word, but I suppose it makes sense enough. I understand why you can't just say "turn". A thought: "...first skirmish being resolved since the last assignment phase". Wordy, yes, but it works for regular AND fierce skirmishes. :up: Anyway, once you get all that sorted out, he's fine.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Cool beans, but it should be "a" rather than "an" in the first line of gametext.

[4] Fires Raging [Men]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
While you control 2 sites, each aggressive [Men] minion is damage +1,  fierce, and strength +2.
Thran's wording change is a good recommendation, though it works either way. Good card, though I'd be much more comfortable if it were unique.

Minion • Man
Each time an [Men] minion wins a skirmish, you may spot a [Men] minion assigned to a skirmish to take control of a site.
Again, "a [Men] minion" rather than "an". Otherwise cool. :up:

Event • Maneuver
That works.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".