LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Some Newb Queastions  (Read 12861 times)

January 12, 2009, 11:52:29 AM
Read 12861 times

Centurion

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Some Newb Queastions
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »

1. Planeswalker cards I hear a whole lot about them however searching extensively have not been able to find the rules concerning them I know nothing about how they are played. So am I a moron or are they just for collecting purposes. For instance Chandra Nalaar I see she has a mana cost however she doesn't have strength or toughness in the bottom corner WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ???

2. The keyword Morph haven't quite got it some clarifying insight would help if possible.

P.S. I have the Chandra VS. Jace duel deck and thats it so thats where the planeswalker question came from.   

Caffeine destroys Society.
Society destroys Freedom.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings (and therefore should not be destroyed.)
Caffeine, therefore, destroys the enemy of freedom.

Caffeine, therefore, is a sacred weapon for the protection of all sentient beings. -- Agent Drake

January 12, 2009, 03:19:24 PM
Reply #1

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Re: Some Newb Queastions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
Planeswalker are a cardtype of their own, like creature, instant etc. They are a permanent, so once they resolve they stay in play. The number in the bottom of the card is the amount of Loyalty counters the Planeswalker comes into play with. Planeswalkers are played at Sorcery speed, as are there abilities. They dont suffer from summoning sickness, so can be used right away.

As for attacking Planeswalkers, any spell that causes damage to a player can be redirected towards a Planeswalker, they lose the number of Loyalty tokens equal to the damage. Creatures can be directed to attack Planeswalkers, same principle with damage.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 12, 2009, 03:20:51 PM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
Let me start with morph first, it's easier. Morph is an ability that has a "built-in" text. ANy card that has "Morph" and a cost written in it can be played for 3 as a 2/2 colorless creature with no name and no ability. The card is played on the table face-down. Because of this, whenever a face-down card would leave play for ANY reason (even if it was going to be returned to its owner's hand by a card HE played) he has to reveal it, because if it was a card WITHOUT morph (and believe me, I've seen my share of players playing face-down basic lands in tournaments), it's considered cheating. Once the card is played face-down, you can turn it face up by paying its morph cost at ANY time you receive priority. This is NOT an activated ability, it's a special action that doesn't even use the stack, so, for instance, you could turn a Willbender face-up and redirect an Extirpate aimed at you, even though Extirpate has split second. When a morph card is turned face up, if it's a creature (there are cards like Zoetic Cavern, for example), it's not considered as a new object, so if I chucked a Terror at your Exalted Angel while it was face-down, turning it face-up won't save it from the Terror (contrary, for instance, to playing Momentary Blink, which would make it a New Object, thus making Terror lose its target). Auras and equipments attached to it remain attached to it, unless it's impossible (for instance, the creature is enchanted by a Moldervine Cloak and, once turned face-up, has protection from green). I guess this about covers it.
As for planeswalkers, I already answered about it, which you can find here.
If you have further questions, please feel free to keep asking, I'll try to answer them as best as I can. And if you need any clarifications, also, go ahead and ask. Hope I could help.

January 12, 2009, 03:26:18 PM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
Some minor clarifications to avoid confusions.

They are a permanent, so once they resolve they stay in play.

They are a spell when they're played, so susceptible to Cancel, Flashfreeze, etc. After the SPELL resolves, THEN they're put into play as a permanent.

They dont suffer from summoning sickness, so can be used right away.

But you can only use ONE of their abilites per turn (YOUR turn, since they're played at sorcery speed), and they can't be left with a "negative" loyalty counter number, so they must have at least that much loyalty to use a certain ability. Also, it doesn't say any of this on the card, this is built-in in the Planeswalkers rule, though.

As for attacking Planeswalkers, any spell that causes damage to a player can be redirected towards a Planeswalker, they lose the number of Loyalty tokens equal to the damage.

The spell can't be redirected, but if a source YOU control (doesn't need to be a spell, it can be as simple as a Pyrohemia) would deal damage to an opponent, you can chose, upon resolution of the damage, to apply it instead to one of his Planeswalkers. Each SOURCE of damage can be redirected as you wish, but not each POINT of damage, so a Shock can't deal 1 point to a player and one to a Planeswalker he controls, it has to deal the full 2 to one of them. However, notice that each activation of Pyrohemia goes into the stack by itself, so each one of THEM is a different source of damage.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:49:38 AM by Felipe Musco »

January 12, 2009, 06:27:22 PM
Reply #4

Centurion

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOO much this has been incredibly helpful I thought their abilities used mana thannk you again TJ FM don't know what I would have done. It was really helpful   :gp: all around
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings (and therefore should not be destroyed.)

Caffeine, therefore, is a sacred weapon for the protection of all sentient beings. -- Agent Drake

January 13, 2009, 04:50:37 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:37 AM »
Edited my last post a bit, to fix minor typos and to add in a part clarifying the interaction of Pyrohemia-like abilities and opposing Planeswalkers.

January 13, 2009, 02:25:20 PM
Reply #6

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure planeswalkers work in the same way as a Legendary Creature would - two of the same name would kill both. Right?
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 13, 2009, 02:41:09 PM
Reply #7

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
No. Not just that. Planeswalkers have a subtype, which is their name. So Jace Beleren is not only a Planeswalker, he's a Planeswalker - Jace. The "Legend rule" states that two legendary permanents in play with the same name (EXACT same name, you CAN have Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Akroma, Angel of Fury out at the same time) are put into their owners graveyards as a State-Based Effect. The Planeswalker rule states that two Planeswalkers that have the same SUBTYPE are put into their owners graveyards as a State-Based Effect. Why the difference? Simple, because if I have Ajani Vengeant out and you play Ajani Goldmane, they'll both die since they are BOTH "Planeswalker - Ajani".

January 14, 2009, 02:31:08 AM
Reply #8

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:31:08 AM »
No. Not just that. Planeswalkers have a subtype, which is their name. So Jace Beleren is not only a Planeswalker, he's a Planeswalker - Jace. The "Legend rule" states that two legendary permanents in play with the same name (EXACT same name, you CAN have Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Akroma, Angel of Fury out at the same time) are put into their owners graveyards as a State-Based Effect. The Planeswalker rule states that two Planeswalkers that have the same SUBTYPE are put into their owners graveyards as a State-Based Effect. Why the difference? Simple, because if I have Ajani Vengeant out and you play Ajani Goldmane, they'll both die since they are BOTH "Planeswalker - Ajani".

OFF-TOPIC

That's why I love titles and subtitles in LOTR  8-) putting a part of the card's name as a subtype to enforce unity sounds like a bad designing decision if you ask me. It's like saying Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark is an "Eomer", not a man. I mean it works in the end, but it's very odd.

January 14, 2009, 07:24:44 AM
Reply #9

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »
It is lame, I totally agree, this WAS one of the greatest things in LotR (except for Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan, I mean, WTH is going on here?!?). Also, if you ask me, I see no sense at all in having Akroma, Angel of Wrath side by side with Akroma, Angel of Fury. I mean, c'mon, they are BOTH Akroma, a legendary entity (meaning there can be only one out there)!
However, since the game was already too far to go back and change this kind of thing, I think it WAS an elegant enough way to get around it while introducing a bit more of flesh to their characters.
There is also a slightly deeper discussion that can endorse their point of view, which is basically the difference between the characters in LotR (depicting actual people) and the ones in MtG (where even though you DO have a novel behind it, the core of the game is still the fact that they are merely a summoning spell by a powerful wizard), although I, for one, do not support it.

January 14, 2009, 07:39:24 AM
Reply #10

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:39:24 AM »
LOL that is a bad subtitle indeed, and I reckon it's too late to change some stuff for Magic. Anyway, that doesn't make a big difference, it's just that Magic is so well done but still can't get around the uniqueness issue in a non goofy way  :hey: ](*,)

January 14, 2009, 07:46:53 AM
Reply #11

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
Yeah, for one, I think it'd be A LOT easier, not to mention MUCH more ellegant to simply state that any legendary card or planeswalker with the same first name (this would cover Akroma, Rhys, Ajani, Sygg, etc.) would bury themselves as a SBE. I mean, they changed the ruling on Momentary Blink and tokens after a lot of tournaments (which, to this day, no one can convince me that it was for any reason other than the programers of MOL not being able to program THAT ruling in it), and errata and de-errata cards left and right, how "clunky" could THIS be, right?
Btw, I read your comments on DCs, and I'm creating a MtG DC set which I intended to make into MWS and Apprentice codes so they could be playtested. Would you be up for it?

January 14, 2009, 08:14:27 AM
Reply #12

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »
Sure man, that can be arranged ;)

January 14, 2009, 08:37:37 AM
Reply #13

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »
Well, keep tuned in for spoilers, then! :D LOL
But yeah, drop by every now and then to check them, if you see something that seems grossly overpowered or rings a bell, shoot.

January 14, 2009, 07:04:34 PM
Reply #14

Centurion

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:04:34 PM »
Hey guys I actually have another question just noticed it on Ancestral Vision it says "Ancestral Vision is blue." ... ... whoop-di-do does that mean anything or what? :-k