LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: TLHH DC Block?  (Read 8860 times)

January 14, 2009, 09:44:39 AM
Read 8860 times

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
TLHH DC Block?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »
I remember FM throwing out the idea of a TLHH DC block sometime in the past. Now he, NBarden, and TJ are working on sets - and I also want to start one. So here's the question. Is there any way to unite these sets (mechanic-wise and story-wise) to make a block?

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 14, 2009, 10:02:01 AM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: TLHH DC Block?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »
I'm working on a block already, so I think it would be kind of hard. But since you three are working on sets, they COULD tie in together, with a little bit of effort, and not to mention they'd be exactly 3 sets, which is also a nice perk. I'd pitch in as much as possible, of course!
I thought of integrating the 2 blocks in a "Standard format" for us, but unfortunately there is no good way to do these parallel to each other, not to mention sets would have to take into consideration each others cards REALLY closely. And this is just to kick things off. BUT, I guess I COULD try to tie them together story-wise if you wanted with your block being a follow-up of mine, or taking place in Dominaria just before mine. It'd really be up to you 3, specially since this would mean a fixed number crunch to work with, and, msot importantly, only 1 of you would get to make the big set. But it IS workable, yes, IMO. However, as far as I'm concerned, NBarden dropped his set completly, and TJ is not really updating that often (or at all), so I guess YOU could try to tie in a set working with me (either before or after, although I think before would work better) and start a block to try and get things moving, or make a Homelands kind of thing, a separate, smaller set just for the sake of it.
Your thoughts?

January 14, 2009, 11:04:53 AM
Reply #2

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
Well, if we want to get this going in any time at all, I figure one set is about all I can manage.

If we assume NB and TJ have dropped their sets, then I'd probably want mine in a block with yours somehow, as a "homelands-type-thing," or perhaps as it's own entity (Lorwyn was a 4-set block, after all...)

However, your storyline seems pretty complete, so I'm not sure what I could add. Doing something from before hand or as a sort of side-story seems most probable - perhaps with those "other" planeswalkers that tried to destroy your "brothers."
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 14, 2009, 11:16:43 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
You have NO ideas for your set yet? Pitch me what you've got so far. Ideas, abilities, general feel, anything.

January 14, 2009, 07:36:16 PM
Reply #4

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
Well, I like the feel of multicolor more than mono. That much I know. Story-wise, I know nothing. I can come up with that when I figure how this coincides with your set. I'm definitely more of a (U) and (B) player than (W) and (G) so the set would probably lean a little more towards utility cards than plain beatdown.

As for new abilities, I don't know where I'd begin. I'd have to break down exactly what color combination I'd go for before I figured what ability would fit best in each color. I definitely like the idea of making hand discard a more viable option. And the Black/White "ninja" theme from my CC DC set hasn't died in my heart yet either, so something like that might pop up again.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

January 14, 2009, 07:51:21 PM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »
Well, you're dealing with stealth, mostly. Options, control, ninjas, etc. I could definitely see it as a single set, a spin-off. You see, after the third set, the color pie will be fixed and so will the alliances between colors. However, the brothers will still want to get an edge if at all possible, they will still want to seize power if at all possible, so stealth, treachery and assassination would all fit in nicely.

January 14, 2009, 07:56:15 PM
Reply #6

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
Alright. I'd like to have a general idea of what the color alliances will be once your sets are done, and perhaps what some of the "rules" and themes of those alliances are.

So maybe I can break 'em up a bit. :P
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

January 15, 2009, 10:59:10 AM
Reply #7

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
The last set will include the classic alliances only (allied colors), and the main themes inherent to them, really clichéd, actually so, basically:
(G)(W): Will spawn mostly aggro decks with imbued protection;
(U)(W): Control decks, grinding the game with utility spells and the eventual utility creature;
(U)(B): Control decks focusing on removal and recursion, specially graveyard;
(B)(R): Sligh decks, focused on burn and small, quick beaters;
(R)(G): Aggro decks, with cost-efficient creatures and suplementary burn.

Of course, that's not all, but it's the general idea for constructed play. As for Limited:

(G)(W): Aggressive creature decks, with high end largr beaters and creature incapacitation, some fliers thrown in for early damage or chump blocking;
(U)(W): Aggro-control decks, small, flying creatures to peck away early on, with slightly better creature control than (G)(W), although not quite good yet;
(U)(B): Control decks focusing on removal and recursion, relying on cheap fliers to get the job done by taking out opposing fliers and regenerating creatures as defense;
(B)(R): Removal-packed decks, with a few medium-to-large beaters;
(R)(G): Aggro decks, with cost-efficient creatures and suplementary burn, WITH big butts added for the late game.

Again, nothing stops a player from combining enemy colors, of course, but since I WON'T make enemy-colored cards, it'll be a bit discouraged, although the PREVIOUS set will have them all over the place, so keep an eye out for other possibilites as well, which we'll only see through playtesting.
As for mechanichs and abilities, I'm still not sure what I'll be using. I've already used Chroma and Split Second, and I think the first set will use a LOT of keywords, but they'll gradually go away as the color pie evolves. As for new abilities, I have some ideas, but none that are finished yet, they'll probably arise only on the second set, depicting the fruit of their labor in experimenting with abilities all over the place, so expect AT LEAST 5 new abilities for set two, but FOR NOW none for Brave New World. I might end up changing this, though, bringing those abilities to the first set and leaving room to some in the other 2.

January 15, 2009, 03:34:51 PM
Reply #8

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
I will get involved once my exams are over.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 16, 2009, 08:23:15 AM
Reply #9

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
Maybe TJ and I can work together, but I gots almost no time to spare.

AND HEY! This was totally my idea, not F_Ms! :P oh well.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 16, 2009, 11:07:35 AM
Reply #10

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
Maybe TJ and I can work together, but I gots almost no time to spare.

AND HEY! This was totally my idea, not F_Ms! :P oh well.

Just for the record, I never claimed it as mine! ;)
You and TheJord could work on a big set, that can then spawn another block so we can have our Standard! :D

January 17, 2009, 09:39:37 AM
Reply #11

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
Sure. We can still pull off an Edge block perhaps after all!
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 17, 2009, 02:14:34 PM
Reply #12

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
If we ever get to it, or at least if people are willing to play my block on online programs once it's done, I'm thinking on running online tournaments, and provide some form of prize support. :D Nothing big, of course, as I have a rather limited card pool nowadays, but at least to keep it interesting, and maybe drag our newer players into the game by handing them some shiny new cards to at least build a fun deck to practice with.