LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Last Alliance (Aragorn Signet) and Twilight Nazgul (FOTR Block)  (Read 12287 times)

September 30, 2009, 11:15:14 AM
Reply #15

Kralik

Re: Last Alliance (Aragorn Signet) and Twilight Nazgul (FOTR Block)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
Never rely completely on the Prancing Pony, even if planning on bidding something ridiculous.

October 03, 2009, 08:10:00 AM
Reply #16

Ulfmane

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
I think you should cut decksize to 33 or 32. Also you need to run 1 or 2 hobbit stealth (for balrog and for a possible site 9 aid).

October 17, 2009, 10:01:50 AM
Reply #17

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
What happens if your opponent bids more than you and starts and the site 1 isn't The Prancing Pony? I have played so many games online against people complaining they aren't drawing any companions but they only have 1 copy of each. I suggest you add 1 Aragorn and 1 Boromir.

I definitely agree with this.  You have 13 cards that require a Gondor Man (sometimes a *specific* Gondor Man), yet only two Gondor guys.  That's gonna be rough.

Honestly, I think you might be going a little overboard on the healing.  Aragorn, KIE + Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad AND 3 Athelas seems a bit excessive.  I'd seriously consider cutting all 3 Athelas and replacing them with 3 Aragorns (or maybe 2 Aragorns and a Boromir, since there's always the chance you'll pull Aragorn with the Pony).  And, in this case, I'd consider making one of those Aragorns a Ranger of the North.  That way, when you cut your opponent's deck, if it looks huge (i.e., 76+ cards), you can grab Ranger of the North under the assumption that you'll be fighting Moria.

An alternative way to go would be to start Sam, Son of Hamfast and either Legolas or Arwen.  This way, you can bid 5 to virtually ensure that you start, play Aragorn with the Pony for your 6th burden, then have Sam remove 3 so you're under Toldea's radar.  This way, you'd at least be (almost) sure to have both an Elf and a Man in play so you can play most of the cards in your deck.  If you went this route, I'd say only play one Aragorn, and instead take out those Athelas to increase your elf-count (whichever Elf you're not starting). 

Still, as many people said, relying on the Pony can be risky.

A copy of Armor might also be nice in this deck, just to deal with the Balrog and/or any Uruks that make it through the archery phase.

If Aragorn is your main fighter, I'd consider adding another Ranger's Sword.  Maybe drop one of the ranger pumps?

Finding room for a Vilya would also be nice.  It's only one card slot, and it can make a big difference!

The last thing I'd suggest is possibly finding a way to reduce the card count.  35/35 is a tad on the large side, particularly when you have no drawing/filtering/whatever on either side.

So, to summarize, I'd recommend this for the Free Peoples:

-3 Athelas
-1 Saga of Elendil
-3 Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom

+2 Aragorn, KIE
+1 Boromir, LoG
+1 Vilya
+1 Ranger's Sword
+1 Armor

This leaves the FP side at 34 cards, as I subtracted 7 and added 6.  I'd even consider taking out the Long-knives of Legolas as well, since he's not exactly a main fighter, and it'd be nice to see this deck a little thinner.

Another option is to possibly remove/replace the No Stranger to the Shadows, as this isn't exactly a dedicated choke deck, and there might be better uses for those card slots.