LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Powerful Allrounder Deck  (Read 12510 times)

May 28, 2008, 09:48:22 AM
Read 12510 times

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
Powerful Allrounder Deck
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
Hi,
I've always been a guy who builds his deck not only for one purpose (e.g. beatdown or archery or... etc.); my decks always are looking for condition discard, burden remove, etc.

I list the cards I want to play and hope you can tell me, how to get a working deck with them  ??? (I've already got one but I wonder what you think).

Starting:
Isildur + Narsil Forged by Telchar + Armor of the white city
+2 res. Ring

Aragorn Thorongil + Anduril Sword that was broken + Armor of the white city
Treebeard Enraged Sheperd + Watch and Wait
Radagast + Radagast's Staff + Shadowfax Greatest of Mearas
Gandalf Powerful Guide + Glamdring RoB + Staff (or Gandalf Wise Guide)

Pallando

Grimbeorn + Beorning Axe

Hearts raised

What do you think? Is there a way to make a working deck with these cards (particularly due to the fact, that most of the cards are very special and it lasts a long time to get those cards drawn or into play).

So I can discard possessions (Grond, Corsair ships, Pale Blade, etc.), liberate sites, discard conditions, remove burdens, remove threats, but I don't have got site control (travelled leader??)
I know, so this deck is not as strong as it is if it's main task would be fighting, for instance, but, I would like to try.

Just let me know, I am waiting for many responses!  8-)

What would be, if you were asked to make with most of those cards a powerful deck? Would you be able to do so?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:05:06 AM by Olorin85 »
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

May 28, 2008, 01:17:57 PM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Powerful Allrounder Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:17:57 PM »
Powerful Guide is hard to pull because you need 2 hobbits to play the dude. I don't know whether it is possible to build an allround deck, because most of the times you just miss the focus. To be good in all things is almost impossible -or you should put it in expanded and play with pipeweeds...they ROCK!!!!- Like the idea, but I don't think it is possible....Pre-skirmish wouding is in general the best I guess, but that too can be nuked...
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 28, 2008, 03:15:33 PM
Reply #2

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
It does look to me as if you are trying a bit too hard to cram everything into one deck. Gondor with a splash of Gandalf and Radagast looks like a strong build to me, but I don't think you can cram in Grimbeorn and Treebeard and still have a reasonable deck.

You can fetch Aragorn with the Prancing Pony, so who do you put in the starting fellowship? Presumably not Gandalf, since the deck seems to be mainly Gondor and 2 companions can be a bit of a weak start. Isildur and who?

Or you could start Isildur, Gandalf LoM and some cheap Gondor guy with Saved from the Fire. First time you burn Gandalf and fetch your flashy Gandalf, some other Gandalf card you want (eg. Watch and Wait) and Sent Back. Next Saved from the fire can burn the Gondor guy (Gondorian Prowler perhaps) and fetch the rest of the cards you are after, including Narsil and Anduril.

Does that help?

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

May 29, 2008, 12:56:45 AM
Reply #3

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
Hi,
thanks for your comments.

@Anvar: Grondorian Prowler could be a good choice for starting. thanks

You've made good suggestions, but those I knew already; I hoped you had an incredible idea which I don't know how to get all my good parts into play (because I don't like to burn comps with saved - it's a way but I don't like it very much).

Probably any other ideas?
How should I get Treebeard into play? (spot 3 Gandy-comps)
Isildur + Narsil, Aragorn + Anduril + Treebeard... this is a really strong fellowship...  ;D

and which cards shall I also include (pusher, possessions, conditions, etc) - The Deck should have a limit of 32 per side max.

Could anyone from you set up a deck design for this?
As I see, here are many players with much experience - I count on you!  ???
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:00:19 AM by Olorin85 »
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

May 29, 2008, 02:40:38 AM
Reply #4

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:38 AM »
Saved from the Fire is the fastest way to set up. Gandalf, Leader of Men and a cheap Gondor man. Grab Aragorn, Thorongil with the Prancing Pony, burn the cheap Gondor man to get hold of a few nice things to put on them. Next turn burn Gandalf to grab Gandalf stuff. A hard to set up fellowship should always be played with a fast shadow. Empty your hand immediately, for example with that ditch-shadow of NB. Moving this Way is nice, but you need to have it ASAP.
With a small deck you might be able to fetch a Gandalf guy right away.
Also you could start with Gandalf and an other Gandalf companion to burn him. Fetch two other companions and treebeard to make him come into play. With the prancing pony you grab a worthless gondor ranger who is to be burned next turn for Aragorn and a few other Gondor goodies. The problem is, as always with Saved from the Fire, that you generate a lot of twiligth. Othersides when set up, you have a strong fellowship....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 29, 2008, 04:58:56 AM
Reply #5

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:56 AM »
Your deck is a nice idea, but the way to run a powerful all-around deck is to run Gandy + Gondor with Aragorn's Bow/Citadel to Gate and Sharpen Your Swords with Faramir, BoQ / Pippin, WoBaS / Home and Hearth combo.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:10:40 AM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 29, 2008, 05:25:09 AM
Reply #6

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:25:09 AM »
Okay, so you want to play Isildur as the Ring-bearer, Thorongil, Gandalf (Wise Guide as Powerful Guide would be too difficult with no hobbits in the deck), Grimbeorn, Treebeard, Radagast but no Saved from the Fire.

Right then, how about something like this:

Isildur
Ring of Rings

Grimbeorn
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence

4x Gandalf, Wise Guide
1x Thorongil
2x Radagast
1x Treebeard, Enraged Shepherd
1x Jarnsmid, Barding Emissary
1x Brand, King of Dale

1x Narsil, Forged by Telchar
1x Anduril, Sword that was Broken
2x Watch and Wait
1x Radagast's Staff
1x Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas
1x Glamdring, RoB
1x Gandalf's Staff, Ash-Staff
1x Pallando
2x Beorning Axe
1x Hearts Raised
2x Armor of the White City
1x Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow
3x Travelled Leader
2x Have Patience

Basically, I took everything you wanted and made a few additions. Grimbeorn is up front and is more of a focus for the deck, with 2 axes and some healing. Pippin makes a good addition to your starting fellowship as he allows you to bid a burden or two to start first and still use Prancing Pony to fetch Thorongil. Most Gandalf cards require only a Wizard, and there are 6 copies total of Gandalf wizards, so hopefully one of them wil turn up before it's too late. I filled out the deck with some useful [Gandalf] men, giving you more uses for the second axe. You could switch Brand and Jarnsmid for others if you have a preference but they seemed good all-rounders for this deck. With so many Gandalf companions, you hopefully won't get Treebeard until you have drawn and played two other companions...

The deck is missing combat tricks but has healing, condition discard, possession discard, Sitepath control, beat down, pre-combat wounding, threat removal, burden removal and event cancelling. Will all the cards come down with perfect consistency? I doubt it, but if you wanted perfect consistency you'd play mono-culture or saved from the fire, right? ;)

Hope that helps somewhat,
Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

May 29, 2008, 07:39:41 AM
Reply #7

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:39:41 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am very happy about that you are spending some thoughts on my "problem". Many thanks!

Would the Deck be better if I use saved from the fire???
What should I do if I play against dwarven discard and lose my Treebeard?  ???

Sorry all for so many questions, but I am so happy to have found some guys who know about that what they are talking about.  :D

Let me know your further ideas...  ;)

May 29, 2008, 08:11:06 AM
Reply #8

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
At the end of the day, you can't be good at everything. If you are fighting against a discard deck, then on my build you might well lose some of your key cards (as I put in mainly singletons). I don't see how you could guard against that without having dead cards in your deck.

All I can say is that if I were trying to make this work I would use Saved From the Fire. But try it out in different combinations and see what works for you. I think Saved from the Fire gives consistency at a cost of giving out twilight and diluting the power level (fewer companions you can have in play). At the end of the day I think you will need to test some different versions to see what you think works.

Why don't you post your deck as it stands?
-Doctor Who

May 29, 2008, 02:36:38 PM
Reply #9

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »

What should I do if I play against dwarven discard and lose my Treebeard?  ???

Stand up, turn away from the table, take a few staps, turn around again and say: I hope you have had your fun, but come back when you to want to play a nice game of lotr......

May 29, 2008, 06:55:48 PM
Reply #10

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
This, of course, coming from the guy who plays Fiend. :roll:

Dwarf discard isn't a problem in standard. It's an expanded only threat, since Orc's pitiful attempts at discard were...well...pitiful.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 29, 2008, 10:50:54 PM
Reply #11

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:54 PM »
Stop spamming in other persons topic....I do not play Fiend, I taught friends a lesson about a certain cards. Gandalf said it once, that when you burn your self the fire goes directly to your heart...you'll never forget it. Ask my friends, they all fear and hate Fiend these days  :hey:So the lesson did well.......

May 30, 2008, 03:07:38 AM
Reply #12

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »
You may not like Saved From the Fire but the fact is it's the best way to fetch Free Peoples cards in the game. If you want to basically guarantee your set up, then Saved From the Fire is the only way to go. And burning Leader of Men is both a great idea, and also very funny!

Thranduil

May 30, 2008, 03:49:25 AM
Reply #13

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 03:49:25 AM »
And burning Leader of Men is both a great idea, and also very funny!

He's right, if you want a powerful guide asap then saved from the fire with sent back is the way.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 30, 2008, 04:09:34 AM
Reply #14

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:09:34 AM »
Haha, the humor value cannot be denied! But regardless I'd join the chorus in saying Saved From the Fire is worth a shot (which you might be tired of hearing by now). Being exceedingly sturdy is one thing, but how long will it take to set up? What are the chances of getting bad draws? I think considerations about speed and consistency rank right up there with deciding what counters to run, and might even take priority over some of them. SFtF can help with both by grabbing exactly what you need, especially in a relatively combo-intensive deck.