LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Enemy Wedges...  (Read 3716 times)

March 29, 2009, 04:52:04 PM
Read 3716 times

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Enemy Wedges...
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
I was thinking recently about enemy colour triplets (as you do! :roll: ) and thought I might want to try my hand at thinking about them. So I tried to approach their philosophies and then made a charm for each to represent them most clearly basically because charm design seemed quite straightforward.

So this is my take on the enemy "wedges" and why I designed the charms like I did:

(W)(B)(R) are the 3 best colours at mass removal and the overlap here seems to be mainly in destruction. It lacks the instinct of (G) or the cleverness of (U) and is left with an ambition to destroy "the other". More than just destruction, it wants to take that which belongs to others because they are clearly wrong and do not deserve anything that they have.

[WBR] Charm (W)(B)(R)
Instant
Choose one - Destroy each enchantment; or each creature gets -0/-2 until end of turn; or each creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn.

(U)(R)(G) is the triplet I understand the least, I think and it seems to me as though it seeks change for the sake of change. Without (B) or (W), it has no long-term plan or ambition, it just likes evolving and growing and inducing change in others.

[URG] Charm (U)(R)(G)
Instant
Choose one - Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn; or change the targets of target spell; or target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.

(B)(G)(W) is one of the triplets I understand best. It is about the cycle of life and death, the natural order (order being the operative word: it almost completely lacks chaos) and the place of each individual in the grand "circle of life".

[BGW] Charm (B)(G)(W)
Instant
Choose one - Target player sacrifices a creature; or return target creature card in a graveyard to its owner's hand; or regenerate each creature you control.

(R)(W)(U) seems to suggest to me religious fanaticism, the righteous fury of (R) and (W) combined with the intellect and education of (U). If anywhere, this would be where Angels would go (Lightning Angel, for example). This group is as devout in protecting its people as destroying its enemies.

[RWU] Charm (R)(W)(U)
Instant
Choose one - [RWU] Charm deals 3 damage to target creature; or prevent the next 3 damage to target creature or player; or counter target noncreature spell.

(G)(U)(B) one was tough as well. I think it's about the subtle but relentless growth of influence and nature. It bides its time as it slowly accumulates vast resources and uses them to usurp its enemies.

[GUB] Charm (G)(U)(B)
Instant
Choose one - Search your library for a basic land card and put it into play tapped, then shuffle your library; or return target permanent to its owner's hand; or search your library for a card, shuffle your library, and put that card in your hand.

So what do you guys think? Do you have any thoughts about the philosophies of the enemy colours?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:05:56 PM by Thranduil »

March 29, 2009, 05:49:37 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Enemy Wedges...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
When you search your library for a specific card, you have to reveal it. Other than this, honestly, the first charm is the only one I could see being used, and that is because it might be a little overpowered, what with it hitting only the crits you want.