LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf/Sauron Orcs  (Read 7967 times)

October 16, 2009, 05:27:48 PM
Read 7967 times

Kaiser Kirby

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Gandalf/Sauron Orcs
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:48 PM »
Hey-o.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  I'd like some ideas to help improve my deck, if you wouldn't mind.

Starting Fellowship:

Frodo: Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring: Isildur's Bane
Gandalf: The Grey Pilgrim

Site Path:

1) Hobbiton Party Field
2) Midgewater Moors
3) Frodo's Bedroom
4) Balin's Tomb
5) Bridge of Khazad-Dum
6) Caras Galadhon
7)Anduin Wilderland
8) Shores of Nen Hithoel
9) Tol Brandir

Fellowship:

1x Gandalf: The Grey Pilgrim
1x Narya
1x Gandalf's Staff
1x Glamdring
4x Servant of the Secret Fire
2x Fireworks
2x Sleep, Caradhras
4x Mysterious Wizard
1x Bilbo Baggins: Retired Adventurer
1x Filbert Bolger: Wily Rascal
1x Bounder
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
1x Hobbit Sword
1x Mithril-coat
3x Hobbit Stealth
3x Hobbit Intuition
1x Elrond: Herald to Gil-Galad
1x Vilya

Total: 30 cards

Shadow:

4x Orc Taskmaster
4x Orc Scouting Band
4x Orc Scout
4x Orc Ambusher
2x Orc Slayer
2x Morgul Slayer
3x Orc Bowmen
4x Under the Watching Eye
1x Our List of Allies Grows Thin
2x Forces of Mordor

Total: 30 cards

If you can't tell, the purpose of my shadow side is to over-load the opponent with exertions/archery.  I don't really have any utility (condition removal, etc.) though.  My fellowship seems to be fairly straightforward as well.  I pull out all my possessions, and throw away events like there's no tomorrow.  It keeps me alive against single strong opponents, but excessive swarming and fierce minions can be a problem.

What would you all suggest for my deck?  Bear in mind, I play with real cards, and there are many cards that I simply do not have.  Still, suggest away, and I'll see what I can do.  I appreciate any and all help that you're willing to give.

October 16, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Gandalf/Sauron Orcs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
Blade Tip (or the one that you cannot heal with) might be a great idea. Ulaire Enquea, LoM and Ulaire Otsea, Ringwraith in Twilight would be deadly!

Why do you run a second copy of Gandalf, the Grey Pilgrim. Don't you think that would be better as a Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor or another Fireworks?

I would also consider Sting instead of Hobbit Sword if you can swing it. And (I frankly don't remember) the card that makes Gandalf Defender +1.

Nice deck as it stands. I have some ideas but I'd have to think about them. A fourth Orc Bowmen would be great and Hate seems near-necessary!

Edit: I meant Black Breath. But still a good idea.

Also, if you are wondering how you could fit these cards in, add these cards to your Fellowship: Orophin, Brother of Haldir, Rumil, Elven Protector, and Richard Reed, Dwarven Shoebomber. Or just a copy of Aragorn, Ranger of the North for swarm protection.
-wtk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:40:46 PM by ket_the_jet »

October 16, 2009, 05:38:52 PM
Reply #2

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »
I'd remove both slayers and the taskmaster and add 4x orc hunters and 4x orc soldier Forces of mordor is restricted to 1 per deck, I'd replace 1 with hate. If you don't have hate, grab Mordor's strength or shadow's reach.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

October 16, 2009, 07:17:13 PM
Reply #3

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
You can't cancel skirmishes with the Ring-bearer even in Fellowship block, right?  I thought it was a rule they added to the game across the board, not just in Standard or whatever.  If that's the case, all those stealths you're relying on won't be any good until after sites 4/5, which could definitely hurt.

You could consider tossing in a few copies of Sam, SoH, I suppose -- he'd give you corruption protection, an alternate Ring-bearer, AND he'd be able to use those stealths.  If you're worried about the twilight that would be added (as this seems to be a chokey deck), you could toss in A Talent For Not Being Seen.

I definitely like that you're sticking to a thin 30/30 deck, though.  It's especially important since you have a lot of single copies of cards in the FP side.  I'd consider trying to double-up on the copies of weapons for your companions, as they'll go a long way in keeping you alive (or, at the very least, just an extra Hobbit Sword/Sting -- particularly if you decide to add Sam!).

The Shadow has 20 minions, which I think may be a tad excessive.  I'd think you could lose the Orc Slayers, as they're not likely to reach the regroup phase with their vitality intact anyway.

Like Ket said, Hates would be great, as would an extra Orc Bowmen, if you have any of those.

2x Enquea is also a must, since you're workin' a wounding deck.  Your opponent could just go with a giant fellowship to spread all those exertions and wounds around so no one ever dies.  Have Enquea ready to punish him!

I personally like Tower Assassins, but I don't think it's necessarily essential.  Could be nice to get an Elrond with Vilya out of your way, though.

Oh, and I don't know about the 3 copies of Depart Silently that Ket suggested; if you play it at sites 1-5, it means everything gets piled on Gandalf.  I'm thinking you'll only need to keep guys off of Frodo if they play 3 minions (with just 2 minions, Gandalf and Frodo can each take one, and hopefully Frodo will be big enough to live).  If you play Depart Silently to keep those 3 minions from doubling up on Frodo, then all 3 are on Gandalf, which could be a problem unless they're all tiny Moria Orcs.

I'm officially at the point of rambling, I think.  Sorry.  =P

October 16, 2009, 07:59:49 PM
Reply #4

Kaiser Kirby

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'll see what I can do to address them.

Adding an Enquea seems like a great idea.  I'd honestly never considered the use of Ulaire Enquea, LoM for this deck.  The same goes with Blade Tip and Black Breath.  Those seem like they would help alot.

I'm not running a second Gandalf.  I was only restating what was in my starting fellowship.  Unless I'm mistaken, starting fellowship counts for deck size.

If I had a Sting, I'd certainly add it to my deck.  As for the spell that makes Gandalf defender +1, I've used it in the past, but it never seemed all that useful.  I always found more strength+ events to help keep me out of trouble more effectively.

The taskmasters usually let me pull more orcs out on the enemy, but I'll certainly try replacing them.  I (or any of my friends) knew that Forces of Mordor was restricted to 1 per deck.  I don't have any copies of Hate, but I can put a Mordor's Strength or a Shadow's Reach in my deck for sure.

I don't see how Depart Silently could be considered more useful than a Hobbit Intuition.  On the rare occasion that my Gandalf dies, I've been able to make it through with Hobbit Intuition and Hobbit Stealth.  Preventing Frodo from being assigned to a skirmish seems like it would force more pressure onto Gandalf, which can be deadly to my deck if I haven't been lucky with my draws.

It's true that Sam is great for corruption problems, but I always figured that Narya could be used if absolutely needed.

I've thought about it, but I can't stand having a deck larger than 70 cards.  I'll definately see what I can do though.

My friends refuse to trade my a 4th orc bowmen, and I don't posess a Hate right now.  I'll try to get some though.  I know they're really awesome cards.

Thank you all for your speedy replies.

Sorry if this is incoherant.  I'm still getting used to the layout of this forum.

October 16, 2009, 09:40:09 PM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:09 PM »
If you have only 2 companions, you need to have Power according to his stature.

October 16, 2009, 11:01:53 PM
Reply #6

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »
If you have only 2 companions, you need to have Power according to his stature.

Damned Fellowship block...how could I forget Power According to His Stature?

When you only have two companions, [3] can be a lot to add with Narya...especially since it is just once per turn. One copy of Sam, Son of Hamfast probably wouldn't hurt.

I have an extra Hate for you, but it's in French. I'm sure we can work out something!
-wtk

October 17, 2009, 09:32:33 AM
Reply #7

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
I have an extra Hate for you, but it's in French.

I hope that when you play that card you wear a beret and yell, "Le Hate, hoh hoh hoh!"

October 17, 2009, 11:39:47 AM
Reply #8

Kaiser Kirby

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
Actually, it is Haine and I can read French but as long as your friends agree on foreign cards (Tengwar?) then you should be okay!
-wtk

Well the whole foreign card issue isn't a problem, as long as I provide a photocopy of the English card, so I can prove what it says.  Unless you want to physically snail-mail me a card though, I don't see how you could get it to me.

Thanks for the offer though.  I've looked over your recomendations, and have added a few things, and removed others.  I'll update in a bit with my deck.

October 17, 2009, 02:37:02 PM
Reply #9

Kaiser Kirby

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »
Unless you want to physically snail-mail me a card though, I don't see how you could get it to me.

Most online trading is done via Snail Mail. Check out Esgaroth Marketplace to see peoples' trade lists and see about working out a deal. Here's a link to mine: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,2685.0.html

Cheers.
-wtk

Wow, I didn't know there was an online trading community.  Frankly though, if I need more cards I'll just but them in bulk online.