LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 143007 times)

November 01, 2009, 10:23:45 AM
Read 143007 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
The future of LOTR TCG
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
So I finish my degree soon and I want to keep this game alive. I am so jealous of work done with ST:TCG' Continuing Committee so we need to stop talking and just do it.

So...

I finish my degree in May and by the summer I hope we can have our first Virtual set released to initiate the revival. I have all the necessary contacts for license and legal issues.

There are people off here that need to be involved in card design. Thranduil, Dain and Menace pop to mind. We can get together on TLHH Chat and discuss what we will do.

Lets make it happen!
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 01, 2009, 04:41:47 PM
Reply #1

Kenddrick

Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »
I'm up and ready for it! Let's do this! :):):)

November 02, 2009, 10:15:19 AM
Reply #2

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
I think a vital part would be uniting the remnants of the LotR TCG Community, There are many small pockets of players on the internet and TLHH is by no measure universal, we need to, assimilate? unify? the rest of the players on the internet so then we're all on the same page as far as a players committee and such.

:EDIT: ok another thing is we need someone known or respected I guess to contact such people, for example Hawkeye as a former DAgent would be more respected than say me if we asked them to join our community.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:20:34 AM by legolas3333 »
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

November 02, 2009, 10:23:35 AM
Reply #3

ghhhk

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
Here Here!

I think we've waited long enough for this to happen through official channels.  It seems that in the past there was talk of this but that it was in the works and we just needed to wait.  I think we can safely assume that nothing will happen unless it is done by us remaining players.

ghhhk

November 02, 2009, 11:04:33 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »
I'm kind of drunk right now, but I'm up for a real venture into some revitalization.

I follow fairly closely the actions of the SWCCG PC, and we all would have to admit in-advance that our following wouldn't be as serious. The PC got official Decipher sponsorship (a million dollars up-front!), and they've been going strong ever since. If anyone can prove to me that there's still a strong, reaching community of LotR TCG - a community that wants an organization to release virtual cards - then I would be willing to be part of that organization.

(It appears that I'm a good drunk-typist. Weird.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:08:18 PM by menace64 »

November 04, 2009, 07:17:39 AM
Reply #5

Kenddrick

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:39 AM »
Hmm how do we get official Decipher sponsorship? And also, we do need to reunite the LotR TCG community. Anyone have plans on how to do that?

November 04, 2009, 04:36:27 PM
Reply #6

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that D didn't give any actual money to the SWCCGPC. They did give them product, but I doubt it was a million bucks worth.

Personally, as I've said many times, if we are going to get anywhere we can't wait to work with Decipher. Decipher is old news, they don't do this game anymore. The game is ours now. Lets just take it where we want it. The Wizards SWTCG IDC has gotten away with it for years, look em up. We might as well try. But any effort to get Decipher to help, sponsor, or permit us to do anything is wasted time imo.

There have been attempts to do this already. Most seem to have fizzled due to how screwed up the last block was. Nobody can agree on what to due with the erratas, block rules, etc. Decipher screwed the game up, we don't owe them anything.

November 04, 2009, 08:52:04 PM
Reply #7

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:04 PM »
Decipher screwed the game up, we don't owe them anything.

[rant]So why no graphical DC's? They'd help a ton, and as jerba said, we don't owe them a wooden nickel. Its not like it'd kill the game, Decipher did that for us, and I have the impression they don't give a rat's #$&*@! about anything beside Fight Klub. So why the #$&*@! not? What can they do, sue us?  :lol: [/rant]

November 04, 2009, 09:55:24 PM
Reply #8

Kenddrick

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:55:24 PM »
I was hoping Big D could pass us some LotR TCG stuff. Not cards, but design templates, and unfinished sets. With stuff like that, we can go on and make Graphical DCs. So around how many people do we need before we can actually sit down and get this thing going?

November 04, 2009, 10:50:03 PM
Reply #9

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think virtual cards is what's going to revitalize LOTR TCG. I'd much rather see a PC start by promoting local leagues, establishing a DGMA-like public db, set up some territorial or national championships, and really just getting the word out to everyone about how great this game still is. If anything, promote Fellowship block or Movie block. Put Virtual Cards off until the momentum is there.

I say this because everyone's excited about virtual cards because virtual cards are fun. We all love to dream up new cards. But the game hasn't failed because of lack of new cards. The game began dying long before the cards ran out; the game began dying because Decipher didn't promote local play and tourneys.

November 05, 2009, 12:36:50 AM
Reply #10

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:36:50 AM »
I gave up on LOTR because of inaction. Once again am playing Star Trek.

Why? The Star Trek is no longer finished - new cards are being made. It has a great community, which is probably only around 100-200 people worldwide from what I can tell.

However would like to play LOTR again and would do so if a players committe got started.

Stop listening to negatives that are all over this board and just jump in and see what happens. You will need some control over the input of the website however.

BTW - Star Trek's success came about because the fans are fanatics and also a new move helped.

Also - forget about Decipher. You need to get someone on board who is able to design a program to make new cards. Someone on the Trek boards has made a free program that does this.

November 05, 2009, 06:21:03 AM
Reply #11

Treebeard13

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 06:21:03 AM »
While Decipher is all but dead and certainly does not care about the players that were once loyal to them you do need to keep them in mind.  I strongly believe that if you do anything with the LOTR license that even suggest you are generating any kind of money - no matter how small - they will come down fast and hard.  We do need to be a little careful.

The Star Wars PC did get a lot from Decipher and it might have been close to a million in cards.  At one of the conventions where I was a Decipher volunteer they were showing a picture of a U-Haul trailer where the wheels were actually bent inward.  It had been filled, bottom to top, with Star Wars cards from the Decipher warehouse.

As far as LOTR cards - I doubt Decipher has very many in their possession.  One of the items Decipher quickly sold off when they were in trouble was the warehouse.  At one of the conventions I worked they gave away boxes of Megaman and .Hack cards for free.  It was said that they did not have room to house very much stock.

But, we should not wait.  Form a group and start making some plans.  You will get a lot of different opinions but at some point a direction has to be chosen.

Chuck
"...it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say.."    Treebeard

November 05, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
Reply #12

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
While Decipher is all but dead and certainly does not care about the players that were once loyal to them you do need to keep them in mind.  I strongly believe that if you do anything with the LOTR license that even suggest you are generating any kind of money - no matter how small - they will come down fast and hard.  We do need to be a little careful.

D does not have that license anymore, they won't be coming down on anyone. They are barely on their feet, and even that depends on the success of Fight Klub. This great game (what once was a great game) is the product of a staff of 90+ people, which is now reduced to 7. It's not that they don't care, there are many reasons. No license, no staff, no money, no warehouse, etc. Support for the game and it's players didn't go to #$&*@! from neglect, it's because the company responsible for taking care of it basically died.

It's like a privately owned breeding kennel. The owner dies, and weeks later someone discovers all of the dead, dying, sick, or starving dogs left locked up.

November 05, 2009, 10:58:22 PM
Reply #13

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
But the greatest issue, and that is what we have seen in all these debates, is support by the players. Even if Star Trek has 200-300 active players, who are really active on this forum for example? We have 400+ members, but a small amount is really active, at least in taking action in certain things. We need more support and we need people who know what to do.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 05, 2009, 11:48:24 PM
Reply #14

RedGoldStag

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
Aside from the issues that have been raised already (which are certainly important to consider), the logistics of designing, developing, and playtesting virtual cards could be a serious obstacle. In particular, I doubt that most people are aware of the amount of time required to playtest new cards (well, to playtest them well, anyway) even under ideal circumstances (multiple groups of players, each with members concentrated in the same local area who are able to get together and playtest in person). The fairly small size of the player base might be problematic, but I think an even bigger issue is how spread out (in a geographic sense) the player base is -- without having people in the same area, it would be difficult if not impossible to manage playtesting. I think it would have to be done via something like GCCG, which would require having the new cards made available to playtesters in GCCG (but not have the cards or games played with them visible to everyone else, unless playtesting is totally open, which has its own set of issues, but might be doable given the non-standard circumstances of this situation).

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think that dealing with the logistics of playtesting could be a big obstacle to overcome even if everything else (support from Decipher / the Tolkien estate, widespread interest by the player base to have virtual cards, etc) is taken care of.

November 06, 2009, 01:38:34 AM
Reply #15

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »
Who runs this website? Do you have their permission to start a Players Committee and evolve the website with errata, virtual cards, banned cards, tournaments, etc? If not you will need to start a new website.

Star Trek today modified their website to include both 1E and 2E sections and now support both games with virtual cards. The Australian Nationals had the largest attendance EVER this year - not bad for a "defunct" game. People travelled from Perth to Sydney to play (3000km or 1600ish miles).

Lord can do this too, it has a fan-base, but it has to start somewhere.

Step 1 - Who will lead the way? You can't vote yourself. Applications for those interested in starting off and managing the process would help - they can post their ideas, vision on a forum and then the community (those active on these boards) can vote. Once elected the process can start. Bear in mind not everyone will cooperate at the start - they are not your target audience - you are only interested in those that want this.

Nothing will happen without a leader.

November 06, 2009, 03:38:57 AM
Reply #16

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 03:38:57 AM »
Playtesting isn't the biggest issue I think. We have programs available, and a lot of 'online' knowledge'. Furthermore we have a lot of people who are very experienced and know the game very well. So I really think that getting this thing on the road, as something that can be viable, is the main issue. A lot of words have been dedicated to this issue, but less action is taken....I would not consider myself as experienced, as leader material, but I will support who ever I think is.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 06, 2009, 06:18:13 AM
Reply #17

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure that D didn't give any actual money to the SWCCGPC. They did give them product, but I doubt it was a million bucks worth.

Decipher sold their Austin Powers car on ebay and donated those proceeds and more to the PC for a total of a million dollars.

November 06, 2009, 10:36:53 AM
Reply #18

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
And why not trying to bring in the experience from the Star Trek PC? They will know what to do....and which steps to take

November 06, 2009, 12:40:03 PM
Reply #19

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
Gil-Estel's idea of contacting Star Trek PC is a really good idea. Charlie Paine is the chairman and from what i can tell those running the PC are really decent people. If someone contacted him or someone in the know they might give you an idea of how they got this up and running. Bear in mind that they got Brad De Fruitier onboard and he worked for Decipher - I'd say that has a lot to do with their success as he continues to assist in desgining new cards, and also helped with getting Paramount to 'turn a blind eye' or whatever it is they are doing.

Do you want me to start a forum on the Star Trek boards asking for help, ideas for getting this started, or asking how they got started? I personally know two people that are involved in Star Trek from Australia but do not have much knowledge about those overseas.

November 06, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
Reply #20

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »
I would agree, but I'm just 1 person ;)

November 06, 2009, 03:01:34 PM
Reply #21

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
As a player of SWCCG and not LOTR I have to say I'd be willing to aid you guys in what ever plans you wanted to make.  I can probably make some reasonable templates to work from and we could start putting out at least a few "expansions"

The biggest problem I foresee is the balance of any new cards.  I'm ready and willing to throw in some support, but I think we should start small with halfcard V-cards rather than full ones (at least for a while or until we get somewhat known by the PC community.

Any got an idea for the theme of the first set? :P

November 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
Reply #22

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
Balance would not be an issue. If I can balance my checkbook, I can balance a game.

November 06, 2009, 05:21:04 PM
Reply #23

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
I think we should make the theme of the revival a throwback to the beginning of the game. The Fellowship of the Ring!

In the process, we could design some new cards to compliment the revival, introduce these as the promo cards for the launch and then use these as part of the new sets.

November 06, 2009, 08:37:15 PM
Reply #24

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
Alright, is there a place where discussions can start about a serious player's committee?  I've done a quick search on google and uncovered no official site, or forum, and this is as good a place as any.

I agree that the first set should go back to the beginning and focus on the Fellowship of the Ring.

Perhaps we can start with a simple set of 9 for the Freeps, and 9 for the Creeps, and 2 new sites?

And remember, when/if we really start working on new cards, these can't simply be "dream cards" or crazy cards. 

One question though, is there a play testing body that would actually be willing to test things before we simply release them?

November 06, 2009, 10:43:09 PM
Reply #25

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
I made a basic card template from an existing card using MS Paint in a few minutes. I am sure a more advanced one could be made using a better program such as Photoshop. Having more trouble adding text using MS Paint because of limitations of program (particularly orientation of text).

BTW - I created a post on the Star Trek message boards
http://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6248
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:56:29 PM by chompers »

November 06, 2009, 11:53:00 PM
Reply #26

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Awesome. :gp:

November 07, 2009, 12:57:30 AM
Reply #27

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
But I guess there is enough know how and experience to design new cards. There are players that I guess have been involved with testplaying and other than that, have experience in designing balanced cards.
Kuddos though on what ever there is right now.

November 07, 2009, 03:56:01 AM
Reply #28

MidnightLich

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 03:56:01 AM »
Hi guys.

My name is Charlie Plaine. I'm the Chairman of The Continuing Committee (http://www.trekcc.org), which is the player's committee for the STCCGs. I saw a post on our forums linking to these, and thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I have a lot of experience setting up a PC and reviving a dead game - we've actually experienced significant growth in the past year, and it doesn't show any signs of stopping.

If I can be of help, let me know. I won't be offering unsolicited advice.

-crp

November 07, 2009, 08:41:33 AM
Reply #29

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 08:41:33 AM »
that would be great!

November 07, 2009, 10:28:32 AM
Reply #30

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
Well I'll start collecting the necessary information to gather the correct fonts in order to make the cards fit properly. I do suggest though that we stick with half card V-cards like SWCCG has done.

Does anyone have the old pdfs for printing the "teaser" decks? I think I might have them on some old HD somewhere, but if one of you guys have it laying around that would be very nice.

Looks like this will be moving forward :)

November 07, 2009, 10:57:04 AM
Reply #31

MidnightLich

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
V cards (as in, new cards) is probably the last thing that should be put in place. There is a lot of ducks that need to be put into rows before those can happen (and not just be someone's Dream Cards.)

-crp

November 07, 2009, 11:09:24 AM
Reply #32

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
I disagree. The best way to get an influx of new individuals exicted about the game is to begin the process of promoting new cards.  If all that is done is simply talk about how we're going to have this committee who does some stuff, then nothing really gets done.  It's not about Dream Cards either.

This take a lot of organization, but showing tangible progress and not simply "The boys talked about some stuff" is what will breathe life back into the player body as a whole.

What do you suggest be done first CRP?

November 07, 2009, 11:56:08 AM
Reply #33

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
I am fearful as well, balance is a major issue that has to be taken into account.

As I see it and maybe I'm stepping on too many toes, but there seems to be at least 4 different paths we must take to make a come back.  So we should split our "party" and send them in different directions :P

Rules Team
The priority is to not only work on finding the errata. They would also be a team that would consult closely with the Design team.

Design Team
Responsible for working on new CRD files, as well as the possibility to design new V-card sets (in the future). Also responsible for working with the other teams to provide art for sites, fliers, etc.

Communications/Marketing Team
Responsible to be the official mouth for the other teams.  Makes sure that other teams are in communication with others (Design Team > Rules Team > Other teams).  They are also responsible for publicizing the game.  These include press releases, fliers, banners, or whatever they see is important.  This may require communication with the Design team (for banners, art, etc.)

Tournament Team
This team is perhaps the most critical of all the teams. Without people playing the making of new CRDs, or fliers, really doesn't matter.  The team would include anyone that is interested in hosting/running tournaments.  This would also include people that are willing to run online tournaments as well.

That's four teams that each need a leader, or at least someone to step up and offer their assistance.  This has to be a joint effort, otherwise the entire idea of the PC will fail.  In time there may be other teams, that need forming, but these are the most critical in my opinion.

November 07, 2009, 12:01:31 PM
Reply #34

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »
Hi Charlie - thankyou for responding to the post on the Star Trek message boards. As you can see things are erratic over here, but i suspect things may have been similar in getting Star Trek going again. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

LOTR as a card game suffered toward the end of its life when cards were released, perhaps without proper playtesting. Also as the game expanded a number of cards created 'broken' loops that need to be addressed.

Star Trek has a bunch of errata cards. How far into the process were you before cards were even looked at?

Should we consider the legal side of things first? If so who? Decipher, New Line, Tolkien Estate? If we are a not-for-profit organisation does that make us immune to legal issues? A number of people seem to have already looked into this without much success from what I can tell reading these message boards.

November 07, 2009, 01:32:23 PM
Reply #35

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
@Ranofer
I think the order of importance is probably the communications & marketing team first, then the rules team, then the tournament team and finally the design team last.
The reason is that first we build the player base, then clarify the rules, then start the tournaments, each new team being supported by the one before it.

@Chompers
I researched it and it is illegal for any form of copying except if it is intended for temporary use only, i.e. copying a worksheet for school. The problem is that we would have to pitch to all 3 groups. As of now, decipher does not hold the rights to cards, they do however hold the rights to the templates, New Line holds the rights to images if we use them and the Tolkien estate holds the rights to names and quotes (The card lore which could be an unnecessary part of making cards.) An idea I've heard is to make new templates and not use images so we would only have to approach the Tolkien estate. .

November 07, 2009, 09:48:42 PM
Reply #36

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
legolas3333

If permission cannot be obtained from Decipher, New Line or Tolkien Estate it still seems possible to make this happen using part virtual cards. Existing cards can still be modified with a partial overlay - as per Star Wars design. New card titles may also be possible.

To sum up:
Without permission from Tolkien Estate - no brand new cards using names from novels, and no lore on cards.
Without New Line no images - so no brand new cards.
Without Decipher - no templates but does this prevent use of partial templates? If it does i am sure an overlay could be designed to fit into the main text box of a card but this is restrictive with changing costs and stats on cards, etc.

You mentioned brand new templates. If new templates are made that overlay existing cards revealing the image on the card only this allows a huge level of creative design, limited only by the 3500 or so card images already in print - type of card, culture, everything can change with this design. The entire game could even be redesigned from the ground up. Essentially a community based 2nd edition (but i am getting ahead of myself here - and i am sure will be shot down by most people on the boards).

Additionally - getting people back to LOTR with publicity IMO will be much easier with an established set of rules, errata or banned cards, agreed format, tournament system, etc. Whilst Virtual cards may come later, surely the community should all be working towards the same goal before expanding the player base and interest, and potentially creating more difference in opinion on the message boards.

Just my thoughts :-)

November 07, 2009, 10:59:48 PM
Reply #37

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »
I whipped up an alternate Dwarf companion template that could overlay an existing card. Didn't take long - with more time could make a much improved one i am sure. I suspect there is someone out there that could do a better job.

November 08, 2009, 11:13:38 AM
Reply #38

MidnightLich

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
Worrying about new cards before you have people playing the game (and caring enough to spread the word, and participate in a community) is a huge mistake. I can not overstate this point: making new cards means nothing if there aren't people to play them.

One of the reasons that the STCCG has had such success is that we reacted immediately and had a (almost) unified community. That isn't really the case for LOTRTCG. Can someone provide me with some links to a few of the other community sites out there?

Here's the big thing: setting up and running a PC is a lot of work. For a lot of people. I've been doing The Continuing Committee for over two years, with a host of people helping me, and I still put in on average of thirty hours of week just on TCC stuff. Unpaid. The people working with me put in as much as they can, but ultimately - somebody has to pick up the slack and do what needs to be done. Is there someone in this community that's willing to put in this kind of time?

(That being said... I can help, and if you are willing to partnership with TCC, we can save you a lot of work and time... but it's still a big time investment.)

The first thing that should be done is creating a place where everyone can meet and rally - whether it's this site, or a new site we set up (again, TCC can help with this, we have a dedicated server). After that, we need to make a few critical decisions and get some critical resources, and then start spreading the word like mad. Then we want to set up a tournament system, and then we can talk about rules issues and lastly, design and development.

-crp

November 08, 2009, 12:24:42 PM
Reply #39

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »
Can't find many forums - perhaps others know where they are:

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/community/index.php?f=2
http://lotrtcg.decipher.com/forum/

November 09, 2009, 02:26:49 AM
Reply #40

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 02:26:49 AM »
MidnightLich, if we can partner up with TCC it would be a massive help!

November 09, 2009, 09:20:40 PM
Reply #41

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
Looks like this project will be quite challenging

Judging from level of response on forums I may assume:
1) Few people are playing LOTR actively OR those playing are not actively posting on these sites
2) We don't have a person willing to volunteer to chair the process OR we don't have someone qualified to chair OR that person is not active on these boards.

Whilst challenging it does not mean it can't be done. I love a good challenge.

Personally, my experience playing LOTR is limited at a tournament level and my overall understanding of the complexity of the game game is pretty weak. Most of my experience is with Star Trek 1E and 2E. That said, I love LOTR as a game and would love to see it continue. However, my personnel commitments with work (as a high school teacher) and a young family (2 year old daughter and second on the way) limit my time to work on a project such as this.

Smeagollum was quite active a while back - can someone contact him to see if he is still interested in a project such as this? Or is there someone out there who is not posting on the message boards.

TheJord - are you interested? Do you know someone who is?

MidnightLich's offer to team up with Star Trek is pretty huge is you ask me (assuming I read his post right), but it means nothing if LOTR does not have the right people to get it going.

November 09, 2009, 10:29:21 PM
Reply #42

Kenddrick

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
I am willing, and I can put in at 1-2 hours daily, but I think I am not qualified. I have only played LotR: TCG for only 4 months.

November 10, 2009, 12:22:33 AM
Reply #43

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »
Elrohir, you have contacts with other playergroups, most certainly the German one. Where is you brother?
Enola, could you talk to the French playergroup about their ideas en wishes? I mean, if France still has the players, they could contribute.
Smeagollum, I hope you have read my PM, we could sure use you, eventhough things didn't went well last time.

November 10, 2009, 01:22:25 PM
Reply #44

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
I'm very interested, both in having a PC and being involved in it. I've been keeping up with this thread, but not posting because I just think it's more important that something happens than we sit around discussing it! We've been discussing it since Decipher stopped making cards, and it's never come to anything. I don't have the experience to head something this big, having never played in serious LotR tournaments nor tried to organise something on this scale, but I just wish something happened already.

Thranduil

November 10, 2009, 05:25:03 PM
Reply #45

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
Someone asked if I am willing to head this up. Well, I am, but I know I will need help, and I know people who could be a big help. As has already been mentioned, having the support of TCC will be huge!

November 10, 2009, 08:47:15 PM
Reply #46

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
I'm willing to offer whatever support I can.  I'm glad to see this finally taking form.  Put me in the art team or the design team :)

November 10, 2009, 09:13:58 PM
Reply #47

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
Good to see some activity on this thread from some of those better known on these boards. Gives me (us) hope that this is not a waste of time. Discussing the idea of a PC is frustrating at times if nothing happens, but it is still sharing ideas, and hopefully generates interest amongst more and more players.

I suspect many people out there want this, but many are too scared to jump in, or to commit too much because they fear they are stepping on someone elses toes or lack faith that they are the right person for the job.

As MidnightLich has already mentioned - Star Trek is already well established and growing rapidly. They have alot of information we can use and learn from. I have attached a link to the Star Trek website that shows the organisation of their teams. Whilst the games are different I am sure the model is still relevant.
http://www.trekcc.org/orgchart.php

We are starting to generate a list of people that are willing to help - because it is starting to expand.

TheJord - can you edit the first page of this thread to list those most interested in helping out.
* TheJord, Kenddrick, Menace64, Thranduil, Ranofor, MidnightLich, chompers

You can count me in - i am not sure in what capacity - but i know i can help in some way.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:20:34 PM by chompers »

November 10, 2009, 10:52:09 PM
Reply #48

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »
Just to show you guys that I am taking this project seriously (at least as part of the design team) I've gone ahead and created a high res template for the dwarven (non-companions).

Here's a small look at it: (this is just a small version, not the 300 dpi version)

In time we'll want to fix some of the errata in the game and rather than completely throw out those cards, we could instead print half card slips in order to make those cards useful.  This is down the road I'm sure, but might as well start getting ready.

I've spoken with the boys over at SWCCGPC and they are more than willing to assist in any way they can.  They were a little surprised that this was actually getting off the ground, but now that they have seen a big interest they are willing to offer what support they can.  Guess we'll be needing some art, and banners, eh? :)

November 10, 2009, 11:54:47 PM
Reply #49

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 11:54:47 PM »
But it would be great if the support for this was wider, and more experienced players involved.

November 10, 2009, 11:58:30 PM
Reply #50

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
But it would be great if the support for this was wider, and more experienced players involved.
If this gets off the ground first, then the experienced players will find out and join in.

Nice image Ranofer! My attempts to do the same were much worse! ;) Also not sure if we're allowed to post stuff like that on these boards, but never mind...

Thranduil

November 11, 2009, 02:36:44 AM
Reply #51

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 02:36:44 AM »
I got word from JW that he will at least check back TLHH in a few days.

November 11, 2009, 03:14:54 AM
Reply #52

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 03:14:54 AM »
Hey Ranofer - Awesome template - so glad there is someone out there with the skill to do this. Can you put all the templates together (if you have time?). That gets one of the jobs out of the way. Would you be willing to distribute them if you finish them all?

I have a program that creates dream cards for Star Trek. Someone on the Star Trek boards made it. With these templates perhaps someone with programming skill could make a similar program.
http://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2490

Also heard from Smeagollum - says he'll take a look on Saturday. Hope he likes !! ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:19:32 AM by chompers »

November 11, 2009, 06:20:37 AM
Reply #53

Kenddrick

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »
I got word from JW that he will at least check back TLHH in a few days.

Who is JW? JW Cornelius?

November 11, 2009, 06:59:18 AM
Reply #54

Kenddrick

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 06:59:18 AM »
Hi all, I have found some LotR: TCG websites. The Fierce TCG one seems active. MAybe we can unite them all and get something going. :)

http://www.fiercetcg.com/
http://www.lotr.ee

November 11, 2009, 07:29:02 AM
Reply #55

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
Well, as a graphic designer I'm willing to help Ranofer over there. And regarding the typefaces used in the whole decipher Lotr tcg, I think I can handle it ;D

Cheers!

November 11, 2009, 08:48:56 AM
Reply #56

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »
I was unsure about the exact rules about posting, but considering it's not a dream card, nor does it use anything but the symbol Decipher had (who lost the license), I didn't think there would be too much problems.

I'll gladly work on the other templates, but I really don't know about putting it into a Mass-Creation bit of software, I've done work on SWCCG templates as well and I don't think I'd be willing to throw those into a mass-edit style software either.

And here's why.  We the PC, should have the best templates, and while I don't claim to be able to make the best, or have the best, I haven't seen any better yet.  What the PC does with creating new cards are adding "legal" cards to the game.  I'm not really all that interested in spawning a revolution of dream cards.  Sure they look great but 99% of the time they are unbalanced.  The main reason to have these templates is so we can fix some of the problems of the last set, not put Luke Skywalker in the LOTR world :P

I've got most of the Fonts figured out now as well, but I didn't want to post a completed V-card until I had some more time to think about it.

Maybe I'm out of line, but in some ways, while I really like your board, and how it's laid out, perhaps the new PC needs their own board?  It's kind of hard to recruit to a single topic on some other board, easier to send them to a new site/forum where we can sort of spread out and unpack ;)

And kudos to you Kendrick, get out there and publicize!  I'm hoping to get some signatures or at least banners done in the coming days.

November 11, 2009, 10:13:11 AM
Reply #57

Kenddrick

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
I sent this email out to Fierce TCG. Hopefully I didn't say anything wrong or make anything up. :)

Hello there my fellow LotR: TCG friend!

My name is Kenddrick and I am from The Last Homely House forums. Recently, things have started picking up on setting up a player commitee in order to give the game a "future". Well, where do I start?

We have already contacted the Chairman of the SWCCGCC, and they have already agreed to let us join up with them and offer us whatever help we need. Some of the ideas already in progress are: Creating a monthly newsletter, and form a Player Commitee to take this game furthur.

I am inviting you guys at Fierce TCG to join us, and we are sure that we would benefit from whatever that your players and you can offer. We at The Last Homely House are seriously dedicated to creating a future of LotR: TCG and hope you and your players would help us and participate in all aspects, ranging from setting up the Player Commitee to important decision making.

Do drop by http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums and join us!

We hope to see you on the forums soon! Oh, and help spread the word as well!

Cheers,

Kenddrick

November 11, 2009, 11:32:38 AM
Reply #58

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
Well put young Kenddrick, well put indeed.

November 11, 2009, 11:49:50 AM
Reply #59

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
I put up a similar message on boardgamegeek.com's lotr forum

November 11, 2009, 11:50:19 AM
Reply #60

Kenddrick

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
A REPLY!!!!!!

"Hi Kenddrick,

It's good to see and hear that there are still some LotR TCG players outthere that are keen on advancing the game further.  We at Fiercetcg.com would be most pleased to join forces and help assist wherever possible in making the LotR PC a success.

You can count on us and the players here to help where we can.

Best regards,

Robby"

November 11, 2009, 12:13:08 PM
Reply #61

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
Great work Kenddrick - i have been keeping tabs on member numbers and they have grown a little since this all started. Current count 423.

Ranofer - I agree with your sentiments about the templates. To get a new website we will need a web designer to volunteer their support - do we have anyone out there? Once we do we can chat to MidnightLich to maybe take up his offer to join Star Trek unless other options come up.

We should spread the word further. We could put flyers into hobby stores, and so on. If the flyer, advertisment is the same all over the world it would be better. Is someone willing to create one we can all download and distribute.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:21:38 PM by chompers »

November 12, 2009, 02:25:29 AM
Reply #62

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2009, 02:25:29 AM »
I have a question and more than one opinion would help.

Assume the PC gets of the ground and we decide to relaunch the game using the Fellowship Movie block only (sets 1-3) with virtual errata and perhaps some v-cards (I am not saying this is the model - lets assume it is - it seems to match the ideas of some on these boards).

If this model was used, I envisage that new player tournaments would be restricted to Fellowship block. Everyone else could still use whatever format they want. A smaller card base will hopefully help new players. v-cards and errata cards would only be tournament legal for this format - limiting the amount of playtesting required. Further sets can be reintroduced as the PC expands.

Forces of Mordor is limited to one copy per deck in this format. Do you think it should therefore be an errata card? Does anyone have opinion about any other cards from sets 1-3 that should have errata?

Please post your ideas  :)

November 12, 2009, 02:43:02 AM
Reply #63

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
I think it is wise to make a new 'chapter' in this forum. This so we can keep the whole debate clean. Multiple things are running at the same time. There we could open there topics like 'Relaunch FotR', 'Spreading the Word', 'PC-talk' etc etc. That way we all know what a topic is about. Now it is getting all over the place.

November 12, 2009, 05:14:50 AM
Reply #64

Kenddrick

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »
I have already thought this out, and to decide the level of action that we take, be it one small step or one big leap, I have created a poll on the main page. The responses will decide whether we do/do not take things to the next level, and how intensive are we going to be. :)

November 12, 2009, 08:19:13 AM
Reply #65

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
My opinion would be to first:

Determine what cards are unbalanced currently.  From what I've read, there were alot of loop holes, and faulty playing in some of the cards near the end of the run (specifically the final expansion set).  I would suggest that the PC go through these cards, and determine what should be done with them.  Simply banning specific cards could work and might be the easiest approach.  I would not limit tournament play, or anything of the sort.  Run tournaments like normal (minus the banned cards that the PC discusses and votes on).

The second part of the plan would be to indeed release V-cards (after they have been HEAVILY tested, and found to be balanced).  These V-cards could then use the banned cards as backdrops, without changing any of the old cards still legal.

When I suggested that we start at Fellowship and work forward, I still agree with that, but only in that the V-cards released, start with Fellowship and move forward. The only reason to start at Fellowship would to just use it as a logical starting point. We have to start somewhere with new V-cards, and that's why I suggested Fellowship (the movie, not the expansion).

I'm glad to see this moving forward.  Let me know how else I can help.

November 12, 2009, 09:12:38 AM
Reply #66

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
Taking Sauron cultures templates this weekend. Normal Minions template done. ^^  (Ah, Yes, the text in the card is just for the example of how it works with the image, my templates are cleany!)

Let me know what you think :D

Let's get this game up and running! I'll be working between the templates and the magazine so I'll try to work as fast as my time allows ^^
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:24:01 AM by Sete »

November 12, 2009, 10:21:11 AM
Reply #67

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
My though is to start at the fellowshp block then as we determine which cards are OP and need errata or X'ing re-release each block and cycle through every set.
This means that 1. we could examine every broken/OP card and errata or ban it and give plenty of time to the thought of V cards and testing them

November 12, 2009, 12:18:53 PM
Reply #68

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
I agree with Gil-Estel - lets move formward with multiple forums targetting components of this project. I will set them up later today if noone else has done it first or if opinion is mixed about my headings.

Thanks for getting us started Kenddrick. Nice template Sete !!

I propose the following forum headings:
Players Committee: Design Team (templates, v-cards)
Platers Committee: Rules Team (banned cards, errata, broken combinations)
Players Committee: Tournament Team (volunteering new tournament directors)
Players Committee: Web Team (do we have someone capable web design, running a website?)
Players Committee: Marketing Team (magazine, promoting the game)
Players Committee: Legal Team (permission from the powers that be, how do we do this?)
Players Committee: General Discussion (everything else)

Each forum should start with information about what we hope to achieve and can be updated by the OP to reflect where we are currently at.

It is important that everyone uses these forums - they are intended for everyone to comment - good and bad feedback will always be welcome.
Do you think these headings will encourage comments or scare people off?
Do I have too many headings or have I missed something?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:29:25 PM by chompers »

November 12, 2009, 12:33:24 PM
Reply #69

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
I'm pretty much up to join the design team with anything possible (already doing the templates, card lists and the magazine layout and content) and the marketing team as well.

I'm having short time and unluckily the day only has 24h on it, but once I get some hours I'll manage to put hands into a cool TLHH logo too!

And Chompers, I think those forum headings will suit very well our purpose!!

November 12, 2009, 01:00:45 PM
Reply #70

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
I think thats a good start with the teams, although I'm not sure the final forum should allow access to all of those topics (too many cooks destroy the tater soup!).

Borrowing from the SWCCGPC, I would suggest using a form similar to this set up.

Section: Upcoming Major Events
*Worlds, etc (do we have major events anymore?)

Section: Lord of the Rings TCG, The Game
*General Discussion - LOTRTCG game play discussion.
*Deck Discussion - Post deck lists for discussion & review here.
*Forum Rules and New Player Q & A - Everything you need to know as a new player or new person to our site.
*Rules Questions - LOTRTCG Rules Q&A only.

Section: Player Locator & Tournaments
*Player Locator
*Tournaments

Section: Trading, Collecting and Volunteers
*Lord of the Rings Trading Forum - Trading forum for LOTRTCG
*Ranofer's (whomever) Collecting Thread - Learn about rarity, unusual LOTR items, and more!
*Volunteers -  Do you want to be a volunteer? Then you need to see this.

How does that look for a new set of forums? :)

November 12, 2009, 01:34:42 PM
Reply #71

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »
Hey Ket, I bet it isn't his intention to "split" the community. His idea is overall good, but yeah we already have the sections here in this forum. Probably the most important thing is creating the right groups for each major thing, like Chompers examples.

One person can't do the whole new Lotr:TCG, neither a entire magazine, etc... Groups for each different thing would be the good thing to do.

But that, with the few active members here is naturally slow to do. Along with Ranofer I'll be working the visual part of this "future of Lotr Tcg", others already said they would love to write articles and deck/card reviews, etc, etc...  Any new idea and volunteer is a great value to get this games popularity back again... 

November 12, 2009, 01:47:13 PM
Reply #72

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
I was just going along with the idea that there seemed to be a push toward a new site.  I did suggest having a new site but it was others that asked if I'd be willing to put one up and host it complete with new forums.

I guess the only thing I was really thinking was that if people were coming from a bunch of different forums we should all meet on somewhat neutral ground (a new forum).  I mean even as it is now, we this is just a topic in a general discussion section on a forum, I don't see why we couldn't make a transition to a new forum without too much trouble.  Psychologically I think people will take us more seriously if we show progress and one of those could be a new site and forum.

That's my opinions, bash me or whatever :P

November 12, 2009, 02:20:59 PM
Reply #73

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
But Ket,

Aside having old cards being "remade or redesigned", wouldn't it be cool to see the game go back to the top again? I mean, there is not much we can do regarding new stuff... We could release one new set, or ten new sets, but would they be "legal"? Guess not.

Anyway, it would be fun to keep the game alive for as long as possible, thats probably the main goal. At least for me. And I'm not even an actual player, I'm a card collector... But for me cards are alive when they are played all over the world, trade, sold, spoken about... The magazine Im creating will focus on every single aspect of the game, including the newcomers. Wouldn't it be fun it newcomers felt like the game was released a month ago? Or a year ago?

Well, the new site would apply well for new Lotr:TCG sets, that would be indeed a cool thing... But then, once again, new sets? Is that a "real future"?

For me the most interesting thing right now would be lightning the flame again.

(By the way, for those reading this post: I lost all my Lotr cards. All I have left from my collections archives is a few foils from MTG and some rares from Shards of Alara. If anyone wants to help me redoing my collection I'd be forever thankful! Cheers ^^ And remember, hide your collections in a safehouse -.- who knew robbers would prefer my collections over my Ps3...#$&*@! $&%#)

November 12, 2009, 02:27:34 PM
Reply #74

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »
I'm not sure you understand what exactly I meant by V-cards, and hey that's fair, I never explained it.

I see your point completely ket.  I don't ever want the game to become where you must join the PC and download their cards in order to have fun with it, and I'm not keen on changing the rules so much that people who return to the game after a few years of not playing are blown away by the complexity of the game.  That's not what the new cards would ever be about.  Galadriel, Lady Redeemed, for example.  Decipher released the card, why do you think people shouldn't play it?  Perhaps you think it's broken in some way?

I don't know if you've followed all the ideas I've thrown up, but I've changed my opinion slightly since we've started the discussion.  You're right about new cards, the game isn't ready for them. What the game is ready for is a frank discussion about what cards generally break the game.  Magic has plenty of banned cards (and the list grows daily it seems).  I know we aren't Magic (and hands down we're totally cooler!), but we have to look at the cards and how they make the game playable or unplayable.  

You admitted yourself that there are cards that people don't play and don't want to.  Set 11 you said that you don't like to play with.  Why is that?  What's the reasoning behind it?  My main goal is to help the PC become strong and become the go to place for updates, new ideas, and the like.  I want to see LOTR played again (although in my area, almost no games are played anymore).  As for the idea of v-cards.  I'm not exactly sure about all the details, although I'm in discussion with the people at the SWCCGPC about how they handled it and from what I've read it seems that if you don't change the image on the card (that is the movie image) then the movie people don't see it as an infringement, and as long as you leave the Decipher trademark and copyrights readable, then the Decipher people care.  While this requires more research, we aren't to that point yet.

The PC needs to come together and organize itself, but then begin filtering through the cards and determining which cards are broken, like Galadriel, and making a list of those cards.  Even if V-cards were released, they would never change the way you could originally play the card, they would just give you a new option for playing that card, but again, that's down the road, not tomorrow.

Open and frank discussions are what we need and thanks Ket for posting your opinions :)

November 12, 2009, 02:49:34 PM
Reply #75

Kenddrick

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
I agree with Gil-Estel - lets move formward with multiple forums targetting components of this project. I will set them up later today if noone else has done it first or if opinion is mixed about my headings.

I propose the following forum headings:
Players Committee: Design Team (templates, v-cards)
Platers Committee: Rules Team (banned cards, errata, broken combinations)
Players Committee: Tournament Team (volunteering new tournament directors)
Players Committee: Web Team (do we have someone capable web design, running a website?)
Players Committee: Marketing Team (magazine, promoting the game)
Players Committee: Legal Team (permission from the powers that be, how do we do this?)
Players Committee: General Discussion (everything else)

Each forum should start with information about what we hope to achieve and can be updated by the OP to reflect where we are currently at.

It is important that everyone uses these forums - they are intended for everyone to comment - good and bad feedback will always be welcome.
Do you think these headings will encourage comments or scare people off?
Do I have too many headings or have I missed something?

Not sure if we can do that at the moment though. We've got Ranofer, Chompers and Sete, plus 2 other members who voted yes, and me. So we've got 6. Our numbers are too few to take on too many things at the same time.

If the response isn't too good, we might still be able to do something though, but it'll be something small for a start, like promoting LotR: TCG by making magazines or stuff.

To get this thing going, we really need the majority of the players. If not, it's going to be a small little step at a time, and TLHH would be fine for us. :)

November 12, 2009, 05:11:54 PM
Reply #76

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2009, 05:11:54 PM »
Furthermore, the new sitepath allowed the game to progress with no care whatsoever. For instance, you could start the game at Helm's Deep, go to Mount Doom, and end the game at the Prancing Pony! That completely took away from the whole journey.
You do realize that that is true about movie block as well right?

November 12, 2009, 05:32:38 PM
Reply #77

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Well... movie block covers all three movies, you should be able to use all sites from those.

November 12, 2009, 07:00:04 PM
Reply #78

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
Hi all - lots has happened since this morning.

Creating a few new topics on these forums to discuss multiple ideas will not replace this website - it just creates some new topics that peope may or may not participate in. This is not about dividing the community by creating a new website.

However, if a new PC is established a new website is most likely going to be needed. That does not stop this website existing - it just means another place to go to collect some resources (if you choose to use them). The PC will be a not for profit organisation - so the website must be a .org instead of a .com. I see no reason why that website cannot promote Last Homely House as a place for discussion and forums. Thereby no need for forums on the new site.

Either way - keep the comments coming and I will gather my thoughts on some of the other issues later today when I am home from work :-)

November 12, 2009, 09:57:52 PM
Reply #79

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
Two things I wanted to say about your project... (nice idea btw, but I don't want to be involved in it).

- I'm glad to see that many people wants to be involved in this, but the team that is going to make this project work shall not be composed by any newcomer with no experience... its not because someone wants to be involved that you must say yes. The guy from the "STCCG PC thingy" is an example of someone with a lot of experience and people like these should have key roles in the project.

- I don't see the creation of new cards as something important... If you consider that after set 11, many people stopped playing because of those new cards... what's the point of making new stuff now?

November 12, 2009, 11:12:29 PM
Reply #80

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »
I have asked Kralik to make at least a new section where this debate, that covers a lot of different subjects, can be done properly. I will put in more thoughts later, but now I have to tutor some pupils. ;)

November 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM
Reply #81

Kenddrick

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
Hmm. There's already a poll to see who's willing to take this game to a new level, and things will be done based on the poll's results. Therefore, new sections are not needed for the time being. :)

November 12, 2009, 11:56:12 PM
Reply #82

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
Kenndrick, hold your horses. The new section is needed, just to keep the debate clean. In that new section, which I like to call Valinor, we can debate the future of LotR per subject.
So we need it. To keep an overview.

Topics could/should be:

- magazine
- rules
- intentions
- how to get more players
- how to promote the game
- whether to establish a new website

There you have it. All these subjects have been debated in 1 topic. Not clever. And since this is in Bag End, where other topics are as well, we need a place to keep it clean.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:06:14 AM by Gil-Estel »

November 13, 2009, 12:24:12 AM
Reply #83

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
Gil Estel - any idea if we will get this section or not?

I have drafted an action plan for the Players Committee which I will post on a new thread (PC Action Plan). It is very long but I would like as much feedback as possible please.

If we get the new section I will repost or perhaps it can be moved under the heading of intentions.

November 13, 2009, 12:32:16 AM
Reply #84

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:16 AM »
I think that Kralik will make it soon, I have great confidence in him, haha.

November 13, 2009, 08:48:50 AM
Reply #85

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I see you mr Ket ;-) and I know you know I'm with you :-)

November 13, 2009, 09:39:39 AM
Reply #86

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
Agreed. Having a board to talk about this new "projects" would be nice.

And I also agree that for now, "new cards" or "dream cards" are more like a "yet to come" thing. First there is a need to keep the game renewed and alive with the cards already made, specially those in the movie-block, which will be the main target of the magazine...

November 13, 2009, 03:38:15 PM
Reply #87

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
I have created a new board

November 13, 2009, 10:52:56 PM
Reply #88

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
 :gp:

thankyou!

November 15, 2009, 06:13:21 AM
Reply #89

MidnightLich

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »
Why such haste to make so many decisions? A few extra days/weeks to make sure everything is where you want it won't hurt, will it? Besides, we're entering the holiday period when people's time is at an all time low. Take advantage of the time to get all the proper duck in a row.

I strongly suggest you set up a new website for the PC - a new url, a new set of pages and probably even a new forum. I am willing to help you with this. In fact, we (Trek CC) have our own dedicated server and can probably set you up with some space. But - we'll need to work out the details and someone might have to front the initial bill. (I paid for more than half the server's first year out of pocket, the rest was donated.)

I hope you guys are prepared for the amount of work involved.

-crp

November 15, 2009, 11:40:45 AM
Reply #90

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »
Thanks MidnightLich and ket.

The problem the current PC faces is lack of time and experience. However, posting and talking about the concept may attract new people to the idea of a PC. Until we recruit more people, or the right people, the progress of the PC will be slow. At this stage, any form of marketing that will increase the exposure of these boards and this part of the forum, I would suggest is part of the current PC strategy.

That said, we do have a few onboard now, with some pretty good skills at that!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:45:52 AM by chompers »

February 03, 2010, 09:02:06 PM
Reply #91

finisterle

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
A player locator please thank you. Without it the site is pointless.

February 03, 2010, 11:16:41 PM
Reply #92

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
The player locator on the Star Trek CC website is awesome - but it also helps that there are alot of players in my area. A player locator for LOTR for my area would reveal that not many LOTR players use this site.

I know of two that do - myself and one other from Sydney. As for Australia - that makes three players. However, there are more than 3 players in Australia.

A player locator might aid in getting more players to use the site (if it ever happens) - so it is definately a good idea.

February 04, 2010, 01:48:57 AM
Reply #93

Kenddrick

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
So I shall just include it in the website. I've got a footbal (soccer) game to play right now, so I will post in the website section soon!

March 02, 2010, 05:33:54 PM
Reply #94

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
I hope that the front of the LOTR Page looks like the Star Trek one, I think it is much better than the Star Wars PC front page.  The info is all right there and much more inviting looking. 
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 02, 2010, 05:37:44 PM
Reply #95

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2010, 05:37:44 PM »
I can't remember where we talked about this before, but I spoke to Neal at Decktech and he has all the emails of everyone that signed up for the LOTR section at DT as well as the emails of anyone that posted decks/articles to DT. 

He said we could figure out a way to email everyone about the upcoming site and so forth. 
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 02, 2010, 09:10:19 PM
Reply #96

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
Unfortunately, things have slowed down with the formation of the PC. A shame considering the progress that was made. Decipher showed a willingness to support us, and the combined work of many members helped increase the membership of this site, the activity on the boards, and also the number of players using GCCG.

Many of the members on this site that were actively pursuing the PC for now appear to have moved on, or have stopped posting (hopefully they are still reading). I guess the main reason that this happened is a lack of leadership.

That said, the future of LOTR is in the players hands. The overall direction it takes can be big (ala Star Trek and Star Wars efforts) or small (attract new players, promote game, etc). TLHH does a wonderful job supporting the LOTR community, but I would hope that we can have more than this in the future, in the form of a PC.

However, the core issue that prevents LOTR forming a PC is lack of leadership. Once the right person comes along, I hope things will start moving much faster. Will this ever happen ... I hope so, but time will only tell.

For now, the best we can do is promote the game, get players playing the game (using GCCG or real cards - it doesn't matter). Through promotion, hopefully the right people will come to take the game to the next level.

As for the email contacts - anything that informs them about the site and points them to the discussion about the PC might bring the right players in. I suggest sending an email to those player to let them know about TLHH, GCCG, and the proposed PC.

BTW - I played in my first tournament for several years the other day. Only four players attended, but it is a starting point for LOTR Sydney. It was sealed deck and I came last. The wierd thing is my only win was against the person that won the tournament - go figure.

March 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM
Reply #97

Kenddrick

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Many of the members on this site that were actively pursuing the PC for now appear to have moved on, or have stopped posting (hopefully they are still reading). I guess the main reason that this happened is a lack of leadership.

However, the core issue that prevents LOTR forming a PC is lack of leadership. Once the right person comes along, I hope things will start moving much faster. Will this ever happen ... I hope so, but time will only tell.

As for the email contacts - anything that informs them about the site and points them to the discussion about the PC might bring the right players in. I suggest sending an email to those player to let them know about TLHH, GCCG, and the proposed PC.

I've been checking the PC section of the website everyday since the day the discussion first started. I sent a message to Scott regarding the website and now that he has replied, things seemed good to go. Hopefully this is where it gets started again.

As for the leadership issue, I have to say that this will be the most important part in forming a PC. Getting people to come in and fill a role is easy. Getting them to COMMIT, and COMPLETE whatever that is required of them, now that is the part where it gets very tough.

Me? Well I guess I could be the leader, but I have to say this. I have got neither the vast experience with the TCG that so many others on this board have, nor have I got the resume recommended for this job. The only thing I have would be enthusiasm and willingness to make this PC happen.

Also, we had Sete a while back who agreed to do a magazine for us, which will act like a magnet of sorts to draw ex-players into the game. I had a brief conversation with him a few days ago, and it turns out he's busy with studies and will not be doing the magazine anytime soon.

March 02, 2010, 10:10:43 PM
Reply #98

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
That's where our main issue lies. Once the PC is formed, the members can't chop and change. It is a commitment to perform a certain duty. Alot of time will be invested into the project to make it work, and if successful a lot of people will depend on the job to be done right.

The Star Trek Continuing Committee. I know i always make reference to it but their model IMO is second to none, and this is because they have the right people on board. They have past Decipher employees doing volunteer work to keep their project alive. In my most ambitious dreams i hope a past Decipher employee comes along and is willing to take on this project [-o<

March 03, 2010, 06:22:59 AM
Reply #99

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
Me? Well I guess I could be the leader, but I have to say this. I have got neither the vast experience with the TCG that so many others on this board have, nor have I got the resume recommended for this job. The only thing I have would be enthusiasm and willingness to make this PC happen.
I feel as though I am in exactly the same position. I could perhaps head a creative team or errata team, but I would not feel comfortable heading the whole thing.

This is unfortunately an issue. Is there anyone on the boards that actually has a good amount of experience? Otherwise, we might have to just go for it and learn on the job?

Thranduil

March 03, 2010, 08:17:56 AM
Reply #100

Kenddrick

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »
I would say that their are people more than capable on the job that can be found on this board. Just the main issue is the commitment issue.

March 03, 2010, 12:01:48 PM
Reply #101

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
From my point of view - i believe i have the resume and skills to play a significant role in a PC (i manage in excess of 100 people everyday in my work duties). However, i lack the time, i lack a suitable location, and my biggest flaw is i lack the temperament to work effectively via message boards and email. My overall knowledge of the game is well behind other members on this site so i wouldn't see myself filling a rule team or design team position.

To be realistic, a past Decipher employee is not going to come along. They would already be overseeing a PC if they enjoyed the game enough like Brad over at Star Trek CC. The committee members of the STCC all had significant involvement in the game throughout its life. Star Trek has also been around since 1994, and has a rabid fanbase.

If a PC is to be formed, it will be because those interested take a leap of faith. But before we do we need more commitment from players. There is no point if we are a team of say four people.

Also, to avoid drawing more unwanted criticism due to lack of organisation we really should simply promote the concept of the PC on this site (not the inner workings). Once we have the interest, we should move operations to a new location. I can understand criticism by some who feel TLHH message boards have been hijacked by excessive discussion about a PC that is overly disorganised.

I am also torn over the need to generate interest first and then design a model. This is partly what leads to disorganised discussion on the message boards. It may actually be better to use the people we have and just go for it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:09:14 PM by chompers »

March 03, 2010, 12:07:54 PM
Reply #102

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
thanks Ket - if it could be a paid position i think the PC would already be underway!

March 03, 2010, 12:17:25 PM
Reply #103

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
While you all know my thoughts on the PC, I would certainly be your chairman if it was a paid position...

...and you paid me what I was worth.
-wtk

so... nothing at all?  \:D/

March 03, 2010, 01:17:54 PM
Reply #104

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
While you all know my thoughts on the PC, I would certainly be your chairman if it was a paid position...

...and you paid me what I was worth.
-wtk

so... nothing at all?  \:D/

You'll be honored and loved by all TLHH members. ;)

March 03, 2010, 03:35:52 PM
Reply #105

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
A few things:

Chris "imrahil327" Schoenthal needs to be involved somehow.  He is the current Tournament person for Star Wars and knows a lot of about LOTR.

Jared Stein that posts here also should be involved somehow.

I'm glad to provide hosting and website help and any legal issues or questions I dealt with through the PC and use my contacts, but I'm just not on here enough or have to time to really be a day to day sort of person.

Michael Girard would appear to be our best bet for help if we wanted someone from Decipher.  I have some sort of relationship with him, not sure if anyone else here does, but it would be cool to see if he wanted to help at all.  

I also posted the link to the message boards on DeckTech's page and they appear to have generated a lot of interest there for the game, which is really good.  Hopefully we can get a strong relationship with DT and build off of that.

I think if we have a strong front page and a strong inner cabinet of people that the game can go on strongly.  I don't know if it needs to be a day to day thing for everyone but i think a lot of people banding together for the cause of the game will really make it work. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:39:33 PM by Category1Games.com »

March 03, 2010, 10:17:32 PM
Reply #106

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
.... but i think a lot of people banding together for the cause of the game will really make it work. 

This is what we need and unfortunately even getting this far creates debate. The members of this site are unfortunately a divided bunch. Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in. More experience members and players supporting and getting involved with the concept is the only way forward.

So market the game, this site, GCCG and the concept of the PC and let's see where we end up.

March 04, 2010, 01:44:06 AM
Reply #107

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2010, 01:44:06 AM »
Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in.

No no no... It is the idea of the PC.

March 04, 2010, 03:16:55 AM
Reply #108

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »
Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in.

No no no... It is the idea of the PC.

Wierd - promote game - get more players - support players (granted TLHH already does this, but with limited organisation - it is essentially house rules. It also support a community of at most 100 players worldwide and iwth the right organisation there is no reason that can't grow).

You and select other members say no. I don't get it.

I do get opposition when - there is talk of a PC - we make little to no progress -  then you and other members say no because we make no progress (which really translates into - the right people are not on board to take this forward - i think everyone is already well aware of that). So we go back to the beginning and attempt to get the right people on board.

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards? There are living and breathing card games out there, LOTR can be one of them as modelled by other PCs. Star Trek CCG is bigger now than when Decipher had the rights to the game. And there is of course MTG, and many other CCGs.

Anyway - it has been said over and over again. It is plainly obvious to some the benefits of a PC, but when on the other side of the fence (your side) it apparently is obvious we don't need this. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one.

March 04, 2010, 03:01:06 PM
Reply #109

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
Wierd - promote game - get more players - support players (granted TLHH already does this, but with limited organisation - it is essentially house rules. It also support a community of at most 100 players worldwide and iwth the right organisation there is no reason that can't grow).

You and select other members say no. I don't get it.
I don't mind those things, in fact I think it's very important to promote the game and have people try it out. It's when printed DCs, rule changes, erratas, and bans start happening (which they will if a PC is started) that prevents me from supporting it.

March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 PM
Reply #110

Kenddrick

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards?

Anyway - it has been said over and over again. It is plainly obvious to some the benefits of a PC, but when on the other side of the fence (your side) it apparently is obvious we don't need this. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one.

Agreed. :(

March 04, 2010, 03:10:16 PM
Reply #111

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards?

Agreed. :(
And more to the point, there's no point arguing about it in this thread. Everyone is clear about each other's opinions, and no discussion here is going to change it - it just seems unhelpful to me.

Thranduil

March 04, 2010, 03:50:20 PM
Reply #112

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Personally I've wondered if people would settle for a TLHH PC, which would basically create a set of house rules that the community here could use if they wished. Its goal is just to keep things interesting in the community, for however long the community wants. Would it be pointless if it doesn't revive the player base, or would there be interest?

March 04, 2010, 04:28:00 PM
Reply #113

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
See I don't think there needs to be new V cards or anything like that right away.  I think more people are interested in figuring out which sets we should use for events, some house rules and a way to communicate with other players when an event is being held.

Also a place that can set up and hold a regional event and a Worlds type of event each year is what we really need.

I think that doing V sets and so forth is a sort of ways down the road sort of thing with LOTR.  LOTR is a fun game for me to play here or there but I don't know if a competitive enough still where we need to be pumping out 2-3 new V sets a year and such and such.

March 04, 2010, 05:36:49 PM
Reply #114

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
C1G is absolutely right the * on here - the "community" just needs to come to a consensus on which sets to use (or not use) for events and then start demoing the game (lose your demo games, it's what is expected of you from the demo-ee's point of view, even if they know it's on purpose) and hosting said events.

March 04, 2010, 08:44:54 PM
Reply #115

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »
Also a place that can set up and hold a regional event and a Worlds type of event each year is what we really need.

Agree - there is no reason that LOTR should not be played using real cards. Ultimately that is only possible if interested players demo the game, and tournaments are advertised. Good to see that some of that is happening on TLHH now.

Tournaments support - Re-establishing player groups and tournaments will hope fully lead to regionals, nationals, and worlds. You can't have recognised nationals and worlds without a governing body - a pc - whatever you want to call it. With this established, the playing base will hopefully expand. It is hard to run tournaments and worlds without a concensus on format.

Rules support - it works on TLHH at the moment via disucssion. But if more players pick up the game, rules might need to be formally supported. That can probably be achieved by discussion on the boards and then by general consensus. A current rulings document will aid greatly so that the same questions do not need to be rehashed via discussion.

V-cards - this creates debate amongst the community. Let's not talk about it at the moment.

March 04, 2010, 08:51:18 PM
Reply #116

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »

I don't mind those things, in fact I think it's very important to promote the game and have people try it out. It's when printed DCs, rule changes, erratas, and bans start happening (which they will if a PC is started) that prevents me from supporting it.

Now this i get.

So let's work together and promote the game and hopefully get a current accepted rulebook (that doesn't change the game), tournaments, and best still regionals, nationals and worlds again. Oh ... i can dream :)

Large scale tournaments will need cooperation from members of this site. But before this happens, first it will need people playing the game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:53:20 PM by chompers »

March 04, 2010, 09:09:59 PM
Reply #117

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
Hey, here's an idea.

Why don't you introduce players to the game with whatever sets are most accessible in your area?

Problem solved.
-wtk

Actually - no. If i go off and play my own way in my area, there is no community cohesion and the future of LOTR remains bleak. It doesn't help in the long run with establishing a global assault to get nationals and worlds happening. If you are not interested in this happening, i have no clue as to why you are posting here. If you lack interest in this happening, what right do you have to say the entire community should follow your lead.

March 05, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
Reply #118

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Maybe someone knowledgeable on what's needed to expand the player base could start a poll to see how many here are willing to commit to that. If this includes giving demos, hosting tournaments, coordinating with card stores, etc., I presume it has to be a semi-regular activity as well.

This, in theory, I am far more in support of. But I still don't think that a TLHH PC is necessary. It just works like this:

Kralik: I think that all promos up to The Binding Ring (P) should be Movie Block legal.
ket_the_jet: I agree. Tell you what, feel free to use them in any of your Movie Block decks against me. I presume you grant me the same liberty?
Kralik: Sure.
ket_the_jet: I'm glad we accomplished that without a PC.
Well, that makes three whenever I get my rear on GCCG.

It just seems the two options so far are to wait (and I realize that some are content with the game as is) or to get a full-scale PC in action. A TLHH PC will most likely not revive the base, but maybe some here would be okay with that.

March 09, 2010, 11:55:53 AM
Reply #119

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
I haven't been on these boards for a month or so, but in that time I've played a dozen real games with local players and hosted 1 sealed tourney that brought ~8 people out of the woodwork. We are now laying local plans that will run through the summer to play a number of sealed and constructed events in Fship block.

See, the problem with planning and waiting and devising national plans is that you're basically ignoring all the local players who just want to get together and play in favor of a handful of dedicated players who want to compete. As much as I'd like to think it'd be great to play worlds, there's plenty of fun to be had locally.

And if, after a year, we have a strong local group of players who want to do some sort of national event, we'll be ready--no matter what format you want to organize.

March 09, 2010, 07:14:51 PM
Reply #120

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
 :gp: for a bash against national planning. /political rambling

March 09, 2010, 07:39:08 PM
Reply #121

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
I agree with Jared on this.  Our event was a blast and our guys now want to start doing something each month with getting together in the week just to get together and play.  

I agree with some of what has been said here but we really need to move this in front of Decipher before we can go any further with the PC side of it.  This has to be done.

I have not figured out what all we need to do for the group but that is step 1.

Before we can present step 1 to Decipher we have to set up what we plan on doing.

This is what I propose.  

1st:  Setting up a what we considered to be the standard playing environment.  I suggest using just 1-10 with Reflections being playable with the X-List that was in place when 10 was released.  

This period of time in the game is when the most people played and after polling many players this was #1.  You can as a play group do bigger events but for Worlds it would be this setup.

2nd:  We must be considered a Non Profit.  This lets Decipher write off any help they give us as a tax write off.  It lets companies that donate time and money as something they can write off.  We need this to help our organization.

3rd:  Have a website that people will visit to know what is going on with the game.  We have to build this from the ground up.  We need somewhere where people can go to get information about the game and what is happening and this is where it is at.  We will also have an ad for Fight Klub/Decipher on the front page to help them out as well.

4th.  We will have a vote on where worlds events will be played.  We will charge money for State events where people can win byes into Day 2 of Worlds, we will hold regional and national events to also get these byes.  We will start out small with this but hopefully have it grow as player groups and more events are being run.

5th.  I know everyone wants to talk about Virtual sets.  I just don't see this being something we need right away.  When new players come back they will not know these cards and I'm almost 100% sure that most will not want to use them right away.  I suggest that we do not put out anything for at least 6 months even up to a year.  We set up a group of playtesters that will look at doing a V set for each block that will be an Extended Edition for each movie.  These will be cards that help expand the environment but are not necessary to play and something that can help enhance events.  If these are successful, we will move into a V set for each of the current expansions 1-8 and 10.

6th.  Set up different areas on the website.  Design, Marketing and so forth as has been suggested recently by a poster that laid out what each of them would do.  

7th.  One person in charge with a lot of people that can help and also veto bad ideas and help direct the way that the game is going.  

8th:  I think we need a basic starter we can give out to people to get them to start playing, so two starters actually.

9th:  A Cube where players have a cube that they can play with, if you haven't played cube in Magic or SW before, it is a blast and something that anyone can play in, lots of fun and a goo way to get people back into the game. 

That are my basics to help the game get going and a start of what I think we need to move it to Decipher and present a plan that will work.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:41:01 PM by Category1Games.com »

March 10, 2010, 09:06:38 PM
Reply #122

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Scott, with my web dev experience I'd be happy to contribute to a quality web site. Is there a thread somewhere that talks about the priorities for such a site?

To me, it's gotta include:
1. Player registration/accts
2. Player finder
3. Event scheduler
then...
4. Player ranking/tourney results
5. Articles--i.e. blogging

Seems a natch to set this up on WP with some serious customizations.

I wouldn't want it to have a forum that competes with these forums.

March 11, 2010, 01:07:22 AM
Reply #123

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
Good ideas Category1Games.com and 5tein ....

I would really like to see a site that has a section that actively promotes tournaments and records players statistics/ratings. Some players would like this support, and it can only bring in more players in the long run.

Everything you have mentioned above can only benefit the game. I recommend doing most of the work behind the scenes - putting all the ideas on TLHH seems to create some angst for some members (especially when there is little progress being made). If you need help, perhaps it is best to PM interested members which can be found in Valinor.

Just my 2 cents

March 12, 2010, 10:50:00 AM
Reply #124

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
When Hunters came out, my playgroup was only 4-6 people and we decided we didn't want to bother with what looked like ridiculous cards, so we didn't ever play with anything past Bloodlines.

So, we did something interesting - we went back to set 1 and started over.  We started with only set 1 and built decks.  We played twice a month and every month we added in another set (we delayed it a bit here and there if we couldn't get together), either updating the decks we had or building new decks, and by the end of that year we were up to set 10.  This gave some of us a chance to build decks we didn't get to play earlier and try some of the decks from the first 3 years' worlds.

I don't know if that would be a good idea or not to get returning players to come, but maybe you could do something similar but with blocks.  A lot of people stopped playing after FOTR block, so maybe start by having only sets 1-3 legal for 4 months, then add Tower block and have sets 1-6 legal for the next 4 months (with the X-list from that worlds), then add King block and reflections and have sets 1-10 (with the X-list from that worlds) legal for the last 4 months of the season leading up to some big event.  That would allow a change in environment similar to the old release schedule for cards (3 sets per year), which would help to keep the game from getting stale by playing with the same 10 sets for a whole year.  Plus, those are the most available cards and the cards that are the most well designed (with the exception of the X-list of course).

I don't know if people would like doing that or not, but we had a great time going back to older decks that just aren't viable anymore and even strategies that we thought of after the game had moved on to more sets.

March 13, 2010, 01:23:07 PM
Reply #125

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
@jcb213 This is essentially what we're going to do locally. I hope to at least get through King block. I personally would like to see us go even through Bloodlines, though doing that complicates the game a bit much for some players, and I can understand that.

March 13, 2010, 01:35:44 PM
Reply #126

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
5tein, are you developing a LOTR CUBE? If so can you post its contents? I'd love to set one up.

March 16, 2010, 08:15:44 AM
Reply #127

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
shadow:

isengard: 60

uruk raider x4
uruk scout x4
uruk fighter x4
uruk warrior x4
uruk lieutenant x2
uruk captain
uruk brood x4
uruk slayer x4
troop of uruk-hai x3
orthanc assassin x2
lurtz x2
saruman, servant of the eye x2

bred for battle x2
can you protect me from yourself?
lurtz's battle cry x2
saruman's power x2
abandoning reason for madness x2
hate and anger x4

saruman's ambition x4
tower of orthanc
worry x2
uruk-hai rampage
wizard storm
spies of saruman x2

moria: 60

goblin runner x6
goblin sneak x6
moria scout x4
goblin bowman x4
goblin warrior x2
guard commander
goblin marksman x4
goblin scavengers x4
archer commander
goblin flankers x2
moria archer troop x2
cave troll of moria

goblin armory x4
relics of moria x2
they are coming x3
goblin swarms x2

goblin scimitar x6

host of thousands x2
malice x4

nazgul: 42

the witch-king, lord of angmar x2
ulaire attea, keeper of dul guldur x2
ulaire attea, the easterling x2
ulaire toldea, messenger of morgul x2
ulaire cantea, lieutenant of dol guldur x2
ulaire nelya, ringwraith in twilight x2
ulaire ostea, lieutenant of morgul x2
ulaire lemenya, lieutenant of morgul x2
bill ferny x2

nazgul sword x3
black steed x2
morgul blade x2

blade tip x3
black breath x3

morgul gates x2
news of mordor x4
frozen by fear
fear
all veils removed

sauron: 56

orc ambusher x4
orc assassin x4
orc soldier x2
orc scout x4
orc runner x4
morgul skulker x2
morgul hunter x2
orc scouting band x4
orc hunters x2
morgul skirmisher x2
tower assassin x2
orc war band x2

under the watching eye x4
orc bowmen x4

hate x4
forces of mordor x2
mordor's strength x2
enduring evil x2
shadow's reach x2

fp:

rings/sites: 15

isildur's bane x4
the prancing pony x3
hollin x2
great chasm x2
gates of argonath x2
slopes of nen hithoel x2

dwarf: 30

gimli, son of gloin
gimli, dwarf of the mountain-race
gloin
fror
farin
thrarin x2

gimli's battle axe
dwarven axe x2
hand axe
dwarven bracers
dwarven armor
gimli's helm
book of mazarbul

axe strike
cleaving blow
flurry of blows
their halls of stone
disquiet of our people
delving x2

realm of dwarrowdelf
endurance of dwarves x2
till durin wakes again x2
mines of khazad-dum
stairs of khazad-dum x2

elf: 42

arwen, daughter of elrond x2
arwen, lady undomiel
arwen, elven rider
legolas, greenleaf
legolas, son of thranduil
haldir x2
elrond, herald to gil-galad x2
saelbeth
golradir
silinde
galadriel, lady of the golden wood x2
celeborn
orophin
rumil
calaglin

long-knives of legolas
bow of the galadhrim
asfaloth x2
gwemegil x2
elven bow
vilya
nenya

the last alliance of elves and men x2
gift of the evenstar

the seen and the unseen
double shot x2
border defenses
defiance
secret sentinels x2
swan-ship of the galadhrim x2
support of the last homely house x2

gondor: 42

aragorn, ranger of the north x2
aragorn, heir of elendil x2
aragorn, king in exile
boromir, lord of gondor
boromir, defender of minas tirith x3

the saga of elendil x2
gondor bowmen x3

ranger's sword x2
aragorn's bow
flaming brand x2
blade of gondor x2
shield of boromir
armor x2
coat of mail x2
athelas x2

pathfinder
valiant man of the west
banner of the white tree
one whom men would follow x2
dagger strike x4
swordsman of the northern kingdom
sentinels of numenor
swordarm of the white tower
elendil's valor
arwen's fate

gandalf: 32

gandalf, friend of the shirefolk x2
gandalf, the grey pilgrim x2
barliman butterbur x2
albert dreary

glamdring x2
wizard staff
gandalf's cart
gandalf's staff
narya

trust me as you once did x2

servant of the secret fire x4
risk a little light x2
wielder of the flame
durin's secret
you cannot pass!
mysterious wizard
sleep, caradhras x2
a wizard is never late x2
depart silently
speak "friend" and enter
staff asunder

shire: 55

frodo, old bilbo's heir
frodo, reluctant adventurer x2
sam, faithful companion
sam, proper poet
sam, son of hamfast x2
merry, friend to sam
merry, horticulturalist
pippin, hobbit of some intelligence
pippin, mr. took
bilbo baggin, well-spoken gentlehobbit x2
hobbit party guest x2
the gaffer
farmer maggot
filibert bolger
bounder x2

sting, baggins heirloom x2
hobbit sword x6
bill the pony x2
mithri-coat

a talent for not being seen x2
stone trolls x2
o elbereth! gilthoniel!
there and back again x2
a promise x4
noble intentions x2
halfling deftness x2
practically everyone was invited x2
power according to his stature
orc-bane x2
hobbit intuition x2
hobbit stealth x2

fixed cards:FIXED (each player gets 1 copy of each after drafting):

frodo, son of drogo
the one ring, the ruling ring

pippin, friend to frodo
merry, from o'er the brandywine
legolas, prince of mirkwood
gimli, dwarf of erebor
gandalf, the grey wizard
aragorn, captain of gondor
boromir, son of denethor

the balrog, durin's bane
ulaire nertea, messenger of dol guldur
ulaire enquea, lieutenant of morgul

shire lookout point
green hill country
hobbiton woods
town center
east road
bag end
farmer maggot's fields
westfarthing
hobbiton party field
green dragon inn

midgewater marshes
midgewater moors
bree gate
weathertop
trollshaw forest
weatherhills
bree streets
breeland forest
buckleberry ferry
ettenmoors

rivendell valley
house of elrond
council courtyard
ford of bruinen
rivendell waterfall
rivendell terrace
frodo's bedroom

dwarrowdelf chamber
eregion hills
balin's tomb
pass of caradhras
moria lake
mithril mine
moria stairway

the bridge of khazad-dum

caras galadhon
dimrill dale
galadriel's glade
valley of the silverlode
lothlorien woods

the great river
anduin confluence
anduin wilderland
silverlode banks

pillars of the kings
anduin banks
brown lands

slopes of amon hen
emyn muil
tol brandir
summit of amon hen
wastes of emyn muil

March 16, 2010, 12:42:16 PM
Reply #128

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
uh... aragorn, captain of gondor? he is from king and everything else is fotr...

March 19, 2010, 06:42:13 AM
Reply #129

TinkerGnome

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:13 AM »
Good Day

This is my first post on these boards, and I have been reading this thread with interest. I have done nonprofit organizing in the past and maybe have some insight.

Someone mentioned creating an organizational charter. This does need to happen, and specifically a mission and vision statement. A mission statement clearly defines what an organization does, e.g. "Promote the playing of LotR TCG", and vision statement describes the desired outcome, e.g. "A vibrant and active LotR TCG community".

The point of these statements is to guide future activities, and should help define the scope.

I don't think being a nonprofit is necessary or interesting. Furthermore, the process (in the USA) of basically becoming a charity generally requires several years of demonstrated charitable giving in a corporate (in the strict sense, w/o any connotations) format. I could go on about tax law and the rest, but suffice to say that a real nonprofit  501(3) C org is just not an important goal. Becoming a not for profit organization is also complicated - not considered a charity, usually these are setup to provide a neutral ground between multiple organizations. Really, in the long run, until one is collecting a lot of money then it doesn't matter much. A real nonprofit might spend a few thousand every year just to hire an accountant to deal with the paperwork!

Actually, I think what you really want is a sponsor, someone who is serious about making a few dollars for themselves. This would provide an inertia resistant entity to keep things moving. Something like what Field Marshall Games is for Axisandallies.org. The sponsor should make sure they get their hands on as much unopened product and then sell this on the (new) site. This will give new players and obvious entry into the game. Telling people to find a few thousand cards for nothing on ebay just doesn't have the appeal of sealed decks. (Having said that, the sponsor should also likely be selling singles.)

The Hobbit movies are coming. I think we all hope to see new cards from these two movies that are playable with the old cards. I would imagine that Decipher won't be handling this license but would be looking for a reason to (over)charge for their TCG intellectual property (IP). The PC or sponsor probably needs to secure the rights to that IP ASAP. This would permit the publishing of new supplementary material that carefully skirts the Tolkien or New Line IP. At the point where the Hobbit TCG license is being offered, the existing system should be an obvious choice.

The sponsor (or whatever entity) needs to be clear about what it can handle and what in can't. Making a weak bid for the Hobbit licenses might be worse than being advocates for another bidder.

A very successful Resurrection will probably piss off a lot of you. If I were trying to grow the community, then what you all think is only interesting if one can activate you to bring more players in. The appeal first has to be to reactivate players who stopped for some reason. Going after new players will be tougher because they will need to find product at their FLGS. Basically what I'm trying to say is that in order to be successful the organization has to appeal to people who are NOT on this BBS since all of you are still active. That is really the key - not to figure out what you all would like to see, but to figure out what the folks who are not on this BBS want to see.

Anyhow I wish I could be that sponsor but I'm not sure if I love LotR TCG enough to work for $3 an hour!

best regards
Gnome

Making these really

March 19, 2010, 08:12:53 PM
Reply #130

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
Yes, yes it would.

March 20, 2010, 02:47:27 PM
Reply #131

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
Gnome, I think you nailed a lot in that post.

I can't imagine, however, that a sponsor could come up with the dough to bid on the IP. (Though I would be curious to find out what Decipher would, as you nicely put it, [over]charge)...)

May 04, 2010, 04:07:57 PM
Reply #132

Faelach

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Hey All,

I am extrememly intereseted in doing anything I can to get a decent PC set up for the meantime.  That said...

I know many have mentioned in the past that if we get Decipher's endorsement and support, that they might give us some prodcut that they have left (as they did with the SW PC).  Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I had sent Cindy (WH's wife) an e-mail, asking if they had anymore of those foil sets laying around from the LotR Online finale.  She replied (very quickly) and said that they have NO product left in storage.  Hill's Wholesale Gaming bought the majority of what they had left and the rest was bought by random sellers.  Here's the text of her response:

Thanks for your kind comments about the game. We also felt it was a great game, but we have soft spots (different places!) for LOTR, ST and SW TCGs. I am sorry but we did not retain any LOTR stock, since our license expired and we were no longer allowed to sell product. If you are looking for something in particular, you might want to go to Hill's Wholesale Gaming as they bought a lot of that old inventory: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/

Good luck!
Cindy

This is sad news....

Let's still get this PC up in running though. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:10:13 PM by Faelach »
Do not take dragons lightly.  They are heavier than you think.

May 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM
Reply #133

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
From my persective i think a PC would be simpler to operate without any product. So I am not sure it matters too much that Decipher have nothing left.

If a PC had product it could be used as prize support at major tournaments which could be helpful.  However, the cost of shipping the product means the PC must generate an income (sponsors?). This likely opens up the need of someone willing to oversee finances. They would also need a volunteer to distribute the product, and perhaps a method of verifying that tournaments actually run to prevent greedy hands obtaining free product. 

If a PC is ever established it is probably going to have to start small. That doesn't mean the vision can't be big.

Without product it should be the responsibility of the tournament director to source prizes and then recoup their costs from entry fees to the tournament. Either that or run tournaments without sealed prize support but this sounds like no fun to me - opening packs is too much fun.

May 08, 2010, 07:14:37 PM
Reply #134

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
Just to give perspective;

The Star Wars PC is heavily influenced by Scott Lingrell, this is a good thing.  Scott puts countless hours and money into the game.  Decipher gave them some items that they still had when they lost SW and the PC has used that only as prize support with most of the shipping coming from Scott's pockets.  He has run big events and also bought product himself for the PC.  If not for him the SW PC would not have taken off.

The PC here as I have stated many times should be put together to hold events, give updated rulings and help gather more players into playing.  Then if that is successful branch out from there, nothing further though until there is more time.  I would think the first big thing is to get a Worlds type event and Regionals and Country events. 

I'm a teacher and will have plenty of time this summer to devote to helping get this started with Decipher.

I already have a good relationship with them from my work with the SW PC as well as my website.  I'll also be the first website to have Fight Club on it eventually (sometime this summer).

May 08, 2010, 10:53:46 PM
Reply #135

Smeagollum

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
well that's the whole point. We keep talking, but not to the persons we should talk to: Decipher.
C1g.com offered to negotiate with decipher and I know TheJord did in the past. It seems we fail in organizing eachother. Kendrick is doing something with a website, but further we don't know what people are doing. Imo we should work like a normal projectteam operates: We should select one person to pull the cart and we should select one person to negotiate with Decipher (after determined what we want to negotiate). When the project has finnished then there should be a legitemate PC or there should not be one, whatever the outcome.

So my proposal is that people should candidate within 2 weeks for these 2 roles and then have a 2 weeks voting period to select the two persons who will fill in these 2 roles. Do people agree on this?

May 09, 2010, 04:04:23 AM
Reply #136

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2010, 04:04:23 AM »
well that's the whole point. We keep talking, but not to the persons we should talk to: Decipher.
C1g.com offered to negotiate with decipher and I know TheJord did in the past. It seems we fail in organizing eachother. Kendrick is doing something with a website, but further we don't know what people are doing. Imo we should work like a normal projectteam operates: We should select one person to pull the cart and we should select one person to negotiate with Decipher (after determined what we want to negotiate). When the project has finnished then there should be a legitemate PC or there should not be one, whatever the outcome.

So my proposal is that people should candidate within 2 weeks for these 2 roles and then have a 2 weeks voting period to select the two persons who will fill in these 2 roles. Do people agree on this?

c1g.com has stated that we need a charter to approach Decipher.  I have no experience in doing this. Had a look around the internet and there are resources out there to do so - at a small cost.

Before approaching Decipher it makes sense that a plan be presented to them. This will need to state the goals, visions of the PC and what we plan to do. Anything that is not in this charter or not accepted by Decipher will be off-limits for the PC. Essentially, this means when we approach Decipher,  everything we want to do should be outlined. That doesn't mean everything has to be put in place immediately once approval is granted.

Ultimately, this comes back to the same problem we always have. Who will do this, who has the passion and willingness and skills to put it together. Who can organise a group of fans that span the globe each with their own vision for the game and put all of this into practice.

Anytime a poll is put up on this site, there are at best 15 votes - and some of those votes are anti-PC - so I am not sure nominations are necessary.

If a PC is to move forward, the person who feels they are right for this and wants to do it should start recruiting help (if they need it) and putting the bits and pieces together to hit Decipher with their proposal. Once approval is granted .... a whole new challenge begins .... putting it all into practice and gaining the support of the community.

As always - these are my ramblings and i am sure not everyone agrees  ;)

May 09, 2010, 06:06:46 AM
Reply #137

Smeagollum

« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2010, 06:06:46 AM »
Before approaching Decipher it makes sense that a plan be presented to them. This will need to state the goals, visions of the PC and what we plan to do. Anything that is not in this charter or not accepted by Decipher will be off-limits for the PC. Essentially, this means when we approach Decipher,  everything we want to do should be outlined. That doesn't mean everything has to be put in place immediately once approval is granted.

That's what I said :) :
We should select one person to pull the cart and we should select one person to negotiate with Decipher (after determined what we want to negotiate).

But everybody ready for a poll on this?

May 09, 2010, 10:50:27 AM
Reply #138

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
There's little interest to begin with. A poll won't solve anything.

May 09, 2010, 01:11:46 PM
Reply #139

Smeagollum

« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
There's little interest to begin with. A poll won't solve anything.

That might be, but if you don't do anything then nothing will happen; Some people don't see that something is happening; Some people see what is happening and don't act and some people see what is happening and act. If you see what I mean. So some people have to take innitiative so in lotr terms to speak.

May 10, 2010, 07:57:38 AM
Reply #140

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
Let me begin by saying Hello!  I'm glad to see others still play this great game.

We all have our "resume" to say, so I'll keep mine short.  Basically, I was huge into SWCCG, and missed many days of my senior year in high school playing it.  Into college, I played SW, ST, then LotR when it came out.  I'd been a Decipher fanboi, and pretty much stuck to their games, even though they burned us all 3 times.  In SW, it was Errata from #$&*@! and too much bloating of rules, in ST it was 2.0 (which stunk cause I had boxes of 1.0), and in LotR it was set 11 and on (IMHO), which dramatically changed the game for what I think was the worse.

That was my soapbox  :) 

Anyhow, my wife and I, and a friend just dug up are old cards a few weeks ago(boxes from sets 1 - 10).  I've since been following this webiste, and have found a lot of interesting articles, debates, etc.

I was happy to see some peeps looking to start a PC.  I do follow the ST PC... not much of the SW PC since that game became too bloated and impossible to teach new players. 

At any rate, I was surprised to see some actually against a PC.  But, to each their own.  I can respect that.  But, I would say if a PC was to happen (and I hope you're all able to), don't start off with thinking of virtual cards.  At least not yet.  That should be at the back of the line (which I think seems to be the majority from reading through the posts). 

Well, mostly I just wanted to drop a line from NC in the USA.  Sadly, at least on the East Coast, due to the economy over the past few years, most cards shops have closed up and it's few and far between where you'll find a comic / card shop, let alone a place that has tables that you can play at.  Sad honestly, as that was a huge part of my college life in the late 90's early 00's.  Oh well, what can you do.

Good luck on the PC.  I hope your able to get something going.

May 10, 2010, 08:42:59 AM
Reply #141

Smeagollum

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
Hi jodokast4ever
Welcome to tlhh.
Thx for your advise. Always most welcome :)

Question to all: Does anybody knows when world apart lose their rights for lotro (I thought somewhere in 2010)? Or are they allowed to continue with the online lotr, but they just quit? And is World apart part of Decipher?

Edit; You guys have to shoot me for asking before looking on wikipedia  :-[ Here is the anwser to my own question:
Lord of the Rings Online TCG

In 2003 Worlds Apart partnered with Decipher to produce an online version of the Lord of the Rings TCG[3]. The online game's rules matched the physical games rules, but utilized tradeable virtual cards that could be purchased through the system via starter decks, booster packs, or in draft. In addition to casual play, the online LOTR TCG system supported tournament play, league play, and sealed play including draft. The online system introduced a number of cards and formats that were online-only (for example, King-block draft packs), and offered players exclusive physical promotional cards and online avatars and movement tokens for participating in online events.

The LOTR Online TCG software[4] included collection management and robust deckbuilding features. For this reason alone many players have used the software to construct decks and print decklists.

In 2005 Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) bought Worlds Apart, but continued to support LOTR Online TCG.

On May 22, 2007 SOE-Decipher announced the closure of all support for the Online gaming system[5] . The LOTR Online TCG software is still available and the SOE servers are still running through June 2010, though no new cards can be purchased, and players with existing accounts still visit the system for the occasional casual game.

So additional question: Why using Gccg if we could contact Sony and ask them politely to provide us their software (ofcourse for free, but I wouldn't mind to pay say 5 euro per month)? I wouldn't be suprised if they would give it willingly to our community (maybe they want to have advertisement, but that seems no problem to me). The only thing we then need is a server. Just a thought, but then we would play legaly :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:53:05 AM by Smeagollum »

May 10, 2010, 12:12:22 PM
Reply #142

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
because GccG is better than LotR online, I've played both and GccG + Zobecs beats LotR online in almost every way

May 10, 2010, 12:36:00 PM
Reply #143

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
because GccG is better than LotR online, I've played both and GccG + Zobecs beats LotR online in almost every way

Forgive my ignorance, because this is new to me.  You mean that you can play the LotR CCG online via this GccG website?  If so, is it free, and what is Zobecs?

If I am understanding this, you just made my day!!  :)

May 10, 2010, 12:42:55 PM
Reply #144

Smeagollum

« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, because this is new to me.  You mean that you can play the LotR CCG online via this GccG website?  If so, is it free, and what is Zobecs?

Yes. Allthough not legal, but people say it's fun. Didn't use it myself, because there is something with it I don't understand. I can login, but it beats me how you can insert decks and how you can acces the tables.

May 10, 2010, 01:57:29 PM
Reply #145

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

You certainly can play LOTR online for free using GCCG. Zorbec's allows you to build decks. Better still - you instanlty have every card ever printed when you install the game as a proxy and when you pay game earn virtual money to buy virtual packs to turn your proxy cards into a virtual collection of cards that you can trade with others. There are no issues playing with the proxies, most players just want someone to play against.

there is a bit of a learning curve with installing the software, using it, and building decks but there are players willing to teach. There are also heaps of forums on this site dedicated to troubleshooting.

Something else that might make your day - most players lost interest after set 10 - the majority of the community play movie block.

As with Star Wars - LOTR has a stepp learning curve - but probably for different reasons. There are many different formats that you can play along with banned, restricted and errata cards. Using Zorbec's to build your decks makes the process alot easier. The absence of up-to-date rulings often leads to confusion with some cards - but the forums here help solve the issues when they arise.

We also have a League running for FOTR block (although it is pretty dead at the moment) and the promise of a Towers league starting soon (set 4-6) all using GCCG. Look around the site and you will find everything you need is hidden away in stickied threads at the top of different forums.

Hope this helps ....

May 10, 2010, 04:22:19 PM
Reply #146

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
Lots on the formation of the PC

I'll start talking to Decipher after the first week of June.  I'm a teacher and school is out for me then, I haven't gotten a summer job yet so while I have time I'll put something together, run it past people here and talk to them about it.  I basically know what we need to do after helping some with SW with it and I can talk to Mark who is the current SW PC Marketing person who is working with Decipher on becoming a non-profit. 

May 10, 2010, 04:35:55 PM
Reply #147

Faelach

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:55 PM »

I'll start talking to Decipher after the first week of June.  I'm a teacher and school is out for me then, I haven't gotten a summer job yet so while I have time I'll put something together, run it past people here and talk to them about it.  I basically know what we need to do after helping some with SW with it and I can talk to Mark who is the current SW PC Marketing person who is working with Decipher on becoming a non-profit.  

GREAT!!!  I am definitely on board and would be willing to help in any way that I can.  I am thrilled you will be talking to D, and I am excited something is actually in the works.

Let us know of their responses! :up:  :gp:
Do not take dragons lightly.  They are heavier than you think.

May 10, 2010, 10:20:31 PM
Reply #148

Smeagollum

« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:31 PM »

I'll start talking to Decipher after the first week of June.  I'm a teacher and school is out for me then, I haven't gotten a summer job yet so while I have time I'll put something together, run it past people here and talk to them about it.  I basically know what we need to do after helping some with SW with it and I can talk to Mark who is the current SW PC Marketing person who is working with Decipher on becoming a non-profit. 

Good innitiative.

May 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM
Reply #149

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »

let me know if i can help - i might have some spare time leading up to June (busy at work now but starting to slow down over the next week or so). Other than spending time readying myself for Star Trek Nationals also in June i will hopefully have some time. Most of my knowledge of PCs comes from looking at the STar Trek model but i am not involved other than as a player - have been a Tournament Director in the past.

May 12, 2010, 07:12:07 AM
Reply #150

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
So, either someone from here, or another group is attempting to start a LotR PC, because this is on Category 1 Games website:

May 6th, 2010

HUGE LOTR Updates

We have gotten a huge amount of LOTR cards in stock recently and updated our inventory and pricing.

We are also excited to announce our partnership with the LOTR group that is forming a PC.

More news coming soon.

Interesting?!?

May 12, 2010, 08:21:48 AM
Reply #151

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
Yes, he is talking about the ragtag group on this forum.

I put up posters at my local game store to try and attract some interest in the game. Currently the people that play there only play miniature games (not even HeroClix, just stuff you paint yourself) and Magic.

Hopefully I can turn some of them to the dark side.

Oh, wrong metaphor.

Hopefully I can corrupt some of them...

May 12, 2010, 08:29:12 AM
Reply #152

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »

I put up posters at my local game store to try and attract some interest in the game. Currently the people that play there only play miniature games (not even HeroClix, just stuff you paint yourself) and Magic.

Oh, wrong metaphor.

I can completely understand that.  The last remaining card/comic shop in the Raleigh area has players that card-wise, only play MTG, Yugioh, and Pokemon.  They have some D&D and Warhammer going on too, but I don't play any of those.  It's hurts a little just thinking about it, lol  :)
My dream shop would have everyone playing old school LotR, SW, and ST, along with some D&D, SW mini's and maybe some LotR RPG  :)  Alas, I'm just 1 lotto ticket away from that, haha.

May 13, 2010, 02:38:03 AM
Reply #153

Ilfirin

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »
Hi

Perhaps this is a seriously and utterly stupid question but, what does "PC" mean in the TCG Online? I suspect it's not Personal Computer, is it?

Thanx
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:40:11 AM by Ilfirin »
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to”.

May 13, 2010, 03:09:30 AM
Reply #154

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
PC means Players Committee or similar - basically the goal is to get fans of the game to take over the running and support of the game - with goals such as increasing the players base, reestablishing tournament circuits including regionals, nationals, worlds, etc, providing rules support ... and perhaps in the long run expanding the card base via v-cards, errata cards or maybe introducing new playing formats with v-cards, errata cards, etc.

Other defunct Decipher products have PCs - LOTR does not. Other defunct CCGs, not necessarily produced by Decipher, also have PCs.

That is what PC means - what is means in the TCG Online ... not sure what you mean here?

May 13, 2010, 03:17:26 AM
Reply #155

Ilfirin

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
Ah, thanks a lot chompers

I understood that "PC" had something to with the Online version of LOTR TCG, so i asked what it meant in correlation with the TCG but my syntax was bad...true.

Anyway, thx again  :)
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to”.

June 06, 2010, 01:26:55 PM
Reply #156

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »

Oh, wrong metaphor.

I can completely understand that.  The last remaining card/comic shop in the Raleigh area has players that card-wise, only play MTG, Yugioh, and Pokemon.  They have some D&D and Warhammer going on too, but I don't play any of those.  It's hurts a little just thinking about it, lol  :)

Nothing against those TCGs. I play all of them, besides LotR TCG and SW TCG.

June 18, 2010, 10:16:46 AM
Reply #157

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
Email off to Decipher today regarding the LOTR PC Foundation, it is going to Cindy.

June 18, 2010, 08:23:08 PM
Reply #158

Orangejedi

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »
Hey, this is Seth Maser.  I definitely tried what you guys are doing the legal way, trying to get permission through Warren and Decipher, and I tried working with Brad DeFruiter (um... let's just say "unsuccessfully") before he was let go and then with Kendrick Summers.  I had a strong relationship with Dan Bojo and Mike Girard before they moved on and was a writer, playtester, and designer (as well as a top player). 

This was all back in 07/08, and obviously, you can see the results.  I wish you guys well, and definitely had a structure and officers lined up but couldn't get all the wheels turning from the Decipher end.  They were less than helpful.

I can tell you a few things: 
1.  Decipher pretty much has no product left.  The last of it was sold to Nate Hill (Hill's Wholesale Gaming) a few years back, and even he bought it on the cheap end.  When New Line ended their relationship with D, they had to get rid of it...quickly. 
2.  As for the promo foils?  They sent the some to some DAgents, and many of them and the rest of the volunteers never got the last of them.  They were sold off or disappeared (Riddle me which former employees sold foils, not that I blame most of them).
3.  They still wanted to hold the templates at the time for some pipe dream, and wouldn't let me get my hands on them.  I know people who have access to the templates, but they are lawsuit-averse. 
4.  The playtesting is not only far more difficult than you can imagine, but design isn't easy either.  It can be done, but my group came up with a simple solution:  Open up playtesting.  Have the meta, but about 2 months before you go live, release the prelims for public testing.  After a month of data, bring them back and finalize edited/new designs.  See, people like power cards until they are on the wrong end of them.  I broke the #$&*@! out of that #$&*@! troll in PTing and it still got released, and my release deck showed a broken version.  And even that lasted 5 minutes until the more potent version of it came out in tournament form.  Even then my group was the only one complaining about it.  By then sets were starting to get pushed out by pressure from the top, and then Brad used that bs to "fire" us.  The last sets were whatever busted guts Brad came up with off the top of his head and received zero testing.  Anyway, don't fall into the ego trap.  Testing and creating is not easy.  If you are interested, I'm perfectly willing to provide feedback, and I can get you in touch with some STELLAR former testers who can help you ask the right questions.  I think Florent did some testing but I dont' know how much. 
5.  I like your enthusiasm, but the legal loopholes were the most difficult, as it was still somewhat "fresh" and the Hobbit was supposed to be filmed/out soon.  Well, it's officially stale and I hope that lets you guys get away with a lot more than what my lawyer friends told me I could. 

Seriously, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at seth.maser@gmail.com
I went through this a lot, and can find a bunch of my files on it.  I think if it's done right you may get back the second wave of top players (the Sullivans, Brochus, and Quebecois are long gone) including Bison Bucks, Cuse, and some of the newer Canadians/Californians back into this. 

If nothing else know this:  You can never get enough feedback.  You will always find someone who can help refine, fix, or break your ideas.  That is absolutely necessary if you want to get it right the first time. 

Best of luck.

June 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM
Reply #159

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
I can confirm everything Seth said, as I was helping him with it at the time.  I also work with the Star Wars PC, and know that Scott Church is a good guy with a lot of good ideas.  Between learning from Seth's experience and using Scott's enthusiasm, I have hope we may yet see a LOTR PC :)

June 18, 2010, 10:18:34 PM
Reply #160

Kenddrick

Re: Post your GCCG questions here!
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
If you guys are willing the lead the PC, I would follow you and do whatever you require of me. I really really want to make this work.

June 19, 2010, 09:39:26 PM
Reply #161

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Just to clarify, I was never a playtester.

June 20, 2010, 09:05:42 AM
Reply #162

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
Please Ket, put it in chronological order at least!

June 20, 2010, 09:15:00 AM
Reply #163

Kenddrick

« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
If you guys are willing the lead the PC, I would follow you and do whatever you require of me. I really really want to make this work.

I'm just adding this to the list:

Come on you guys, let us get things going!
I'm ready and willing to pursue this PC.
I'm ready to follow you all the way in pursuit of the PC. :)
LET US ALL MAKE THIS HAPPEN! COME ON!
I'll be willing to give 102% and do my best though.
Let's get things going! :D
-wtk

Why are you always doing things about me?

June 20, 2010, 09:47:19 AM
Reply #164

Kenddrick

« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
A bunch of people with ideas and very little in terms of stepping up.

It's not easy with so many legal issues, and such a divided community.

June 20, 2010, 10:03:57 AM
Reply #165

Kenddrick

« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
I understand. It's also not easy with no one stepping up.

How's that magazine? Website? It's been two years now since this has come up, right?
-wtk

Only since last November. Website is being uploaded now to show you guys the progress so far. It's far from complete, but I am trying my very best to get it done. It's not easy doing it as 1 person only. Ranofer promised to get it done but looks like he didn't do anything so I did it all by myself.

The magazine was Andre's responsibility. He's now very busy due to University and he told me the magazine is not going to be ready anytime soon.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:06:17 AM by Kenddrick »

June 21, 2010, 01:54:46 AM
Reply #166

Smeagollum

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:46 AM »
KTJ: Do you play Middle earth?

June 21, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
Reply #167

Kenddrick

Re: Post your GCCG questions here!
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the idea for a pc really started last oct/nov. That's when I made up my mind and decided I'm going to make it happen.

June 21, 2010, 04:55:05 AM
Reply #168

Smeagollum

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2010, 04:55:05 AM »
Use the search function on the boards to look up the thought of a PC. June 2008.

Smeagollum, no, I don't. At this point, the only games I play are Rings and Vs. System.
-wtk

That's a pitty, because they've got a pc. And it works. They also have virtual sets. Also fun.

June 21, 2010, 10:27:39 AM
Reply #169

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
Don't you wish that the Marvel VS game that was put out for Nintendo DS had a updated version or a DC version.  I love that game on the DS but want MORE to it.  Especially a DC version where I liked the sets much more. 

June 21, 2010, 11:42:10 AM
Reply #170

Kenddrick

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Do stick to the topic. This section is for the discussion of the lotr tcg pc. Any questions can be asked in pm.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:14:16 PM by Kenddrick »

June 26, 2010, 09:08:50 AM
Reply #171

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
Got an email back from Cindy and basically said that she and Warren will discuss it but are very busy right now with a new website.  She said that many people have asked this same question before and so they are hesitant.

I'll be sending a followup email letting her know some more background about what we have going on but I think it will work out. 

June 26, 2010, 11:00:21 AM
Reply #172

Smeagollum

« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
Maybe an electronic petition would help, but then again I ask myself if there will be enough response to it to be effective.....

June 26, 2010, 03:05:31 PM
Reply #173

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
I wonder is another reason they are hesitant is the possibility of launching essentially a 2nd Edition of the game when and if The Hobbit ever gets out there? Maybe they want to keep their own fingers in this basket? Just guessing .....

June 27, 2010, 03:18:48 PM
Reply #174

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
I got an email from Warren today talking about how this is something they are not ready to do at this time and will look at it again in 2011.  They want to work with the SW and ST groups before getting an official LOTR group together.

He mentioned that a lot of people have asked about this and so they will look at it closer in 2011.

I'll send a followup email saying thank you for their time and so forth and that I will stay in contact with them about the group.

Now we need to discuss on where that leaves us.

I think that having the new site is fine and being a fan site dedicated to the LOTR game and helping to organize and sponsor events is where we need to stand.  We can make rulings and so forth but we cannot do anything with V cards (I didn't want to go this route anyways at the moment) and we can't call ourselves a committee, just a fan site.

Thoughts. . . . .

June 27, 2010, 09:33:25 PM
Reply #175

Kenddrick

« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
I got an email from Warren today talking about how this is something they are not ready to do at this time and will look at it again in 2011.  They want to work with the SW and ST groups before getting an official LOTR group together.

He mentioned that a lot of people have asked about this and so they will look at it closer in 2011.

I'll send a followup email saying thank you for their time and so forth and that I will stay in contact with them about the group.

Now we need to discuss on where that leaves us.

I think that having the new site is fine and being a fan site dedicated to the LOTR game and helping to organize and sponsor events is where we need to stand.  We can make rulings and so forth but we cannot do anything with V cards (I didn't want to go this route anyways at the moment) and we can't call ourselves a committee, just a fan site.

Thoughts. . . . .

Agreed. If Big D were to give us permission at this time, we would not be ready. So at least we got till 2011 to set up our foundation nicely. Nice job with the emails!

For the website I think it's best if it stays as a fan site for the time being(to avoid legal issues, and to allow us to set up the PC's foundation). It should be the place to go if you are new to LOTR TCG, or just want to download some starter pdfs to print and play, or to read new articles/decklists!

Then when Decipher gives us permission, hopefully our PC foundation will be strong and the rest will be history.

LONG LIVE LOTR TCG!

June 28, 2010, 04:12:55 AM
Reply #176

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2010, 04:12:55 AM »
I guess that Decipher grant permission to the SW and ST groups for set periods of time. Once that expires perhaps they need to renegotiate terms. Maybe each groups tenure (?) of the product is due to expire in 2010 and needs to be renegotiated.

Hopefully (?) Decipher might be starting to get back on their feet and perhaps have some other business ventures that are keeping them busy as well. Would be nice to see another great product released by Decipher.

The website could serve several purposes including:
* Assisting in organised play (promoting tournaments)
* Providing east access to resources (rulebooks, banned/errata lists, legal printable starters, gccg, zorbecs, etc)
* Networking and linking players (like a player locater)
* Beginners articles
etc

These things may all be on TLHH, but finding them can take a long time. I've been in this stie for a fair while now, and when i explore occasionally i still find a few hidden gems!

One more thing .... The website NEEDS more bandwidth!

June 28, 2010, 12:24:19 PM
Reply #177

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »
It is different than having to renegotiate and so forth.  I can give you lots of details on both but it deals more with the official structure of both and the legal setup of them.  Nothing to do with having to renegotiate or anything along those lines.  The PC's themselves are fine.'

But yes I do think it gives us time to setup a more secure basis to what we are looking at to move forward once we get an approval for a PC. 

June 29, 2010, 12:14:30 PM
Reply #178

Orangejedi

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »
C1G:  This is the same song and dance I got back in 2007.  Don't believe for a second they give a rat's <tail> about the community or anything.  We had a group of highly organized and highly trained people ready to go.  (You would not believe the amount of help and latitude Girard gave us when he was there, esp when Bojo was still there to help).  I had 15 people ready to step up and give their time and effort into the pc, including those who were former judges, former playtesters, former dagents, the works.  Unfortunately the legalities of it all mean you need D's permission to create cards/use the template/use the name.  The only things you can do without them are edit x-lists and have unofficial events (like worlds this year). 

Basically, for those of you pissed off that a PC was never formed before, this is why.  It wasn't for lack of effort, caring, or ability.  It was the bottom line.  Warren had tons of SW stuff and a new game out that encouraged him to keep a relationship with the players.  Now he's got squat and is holding anyone who wants to play in an organized manner by the cajones. 

Warren will get back to you in 2011.  He'll say "we've got a new game, and we're going to do that."  And then get back to them in 2012.  Don't think for a second that they care about the players until they have a new game to peddle. 

Sorry for being so mean spirited, but if you had tried to work with Brad and Kendrick in 2007, you would've felt the same way. 

Seth

June 29, 2010, 10:55:15 PM
Reply #179

Kenddrick

« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
:(!

July 02, 2010, 07:10:12 PM
Reply #180

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
OrangeJedi that is what I was told from other people that were part of that group as well.  I'm not really discouraged as what I want to see with the game is what you said we can work on at this point.  The game doesn't have a big enough group to really support V cards at the moment nor people that could make them and playtest them to the level probably needed.

I think we can still run with a 'fan' site that has card lists, message boards and helps organize events.  I think that will help start to rebuild some.

Girard is getting back into SW though from the looks of it and should be at Worlds this year.  That should be cool and I'll try to talk to him some about it then too. 

September 02, 2010, 09:02:36 AM
Reply #181

Kenddrick

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
I've been a bit tied up these 2-3 months but I'll be back to continue on the site and the PC! :D

September 02, 2010, 09:04:40 AM
Reply #182

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »
the PC! :D

Oh no! The beast has risen..

:gah:

September 02, 2010, 01:28:22 PM
Reply #183

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
@Ket

Wow. No need to add anything to that.

September 02, 2010, 01:58:08 PM
Reply #184

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »
I like to think of the PC as a menstruating female. It has it's week every month but is otherwise in the kitchen doing my dishes.
-wtk

See some here might think of other aspects or members of this site in the same way. It just seems they are a little too regular.

September 02, 2010, 03:21:31 PM
Reply #185

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Anyways, I'm shocked. Can it be? A chompers and a Kenddrick sighting in the same day? Move over world, the PC has begun!
Hahaha! :gp:

September 03, 2010, 07:24:26 AM
Reply #186

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:26 AM »
Ascerbic as usual ket.  Maybe you, chompers and Kendrick should climb into a ring and duke it out, with the future of the LOTR tcg on the line.

Sort of like a UFC...nerd style.

That's my uselessly inflammatory comment for the month, now I'm going back to Lothlorien.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

September 03, 2010, 09:10:54 PM
Reply #187

Kenddrick

« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
No I'm serious all these while I've been missing LOTR TCG and it's PC! Can't wait to get it done!

December 11, 2010, 07:38:16 PM
Reply #188

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
So with the hobbit in production and decipher keeping their hand in the pot what r the chances of a second edition version of Lotr based on the hobbit made by decipher?

December 13, 2010, 06:08:56 PM
Reply #189

Kenddrick

« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
So with the hobbit in production and decipher keeping their hand in the pot what r the chances of a second edition version of Lotr based on the hobbit made by decipher?

Dechipher keeping their hand in the pot? What do you mean chompers?

December 14, 2010, 01:02:59 AM
Reply #190

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »

Dechipher keeping their hand in the pot? What do you mean chompers?

Decipher have let fans continue their legacy for all of their popular games except for LOTR. I hope it is because they are interested in continuing/renewing the license with the release of The Hobbit.

December 16, 2010, 04:29:03 AM
Reply #191

Kenddrick

« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2010, 04:29:03 AM »
Yeah I hope so too! Where have you been anyway? Done anything for the PC? :P

December 16, 2010, 12:18:00 PM
Reply #192

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Just deciding whether it is that time of the month again :)

December 17, 2010, 05:10:31 AM
Reply #193

Kenddrick

« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2010, 05:10:31 AM »
Dang what happened to all the people who said they'll be joining in the PC? Almost all are gone now. Only me and chompers are left. :(

December 17, 2010, 06:56:50 AM
Reply #194

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
All that really matters is playing the game - THAT's the way to keep it alive.

As much fun as a PC would be, it would really serve no purpose other than dividing the already small player base - "I think standard should be these cards" "no, I think we should ban all cards after Mount Doom" "no, I think we should let ALL cards be legal".

Trust me on this - just play the game. Put up posters at local game shops and introduce the game to new people. Exposure is key here. I put up a poster at my local shop and didn't hear anything for a full year, but then I got a couple emails about it out of the blue, and now we've got plans to get together at least monthly to play. I'm positive that just by being in the shop we'll get more people interested in the game, and then BAM, we've got ourselves a local play group big enough to hold tournaments.

A time may come when there is a real need for a PC, but it isn't now. Just find another player, agree on some house rules, and PLAY.

December 17, 2010, 07:03:58 AM
Reply #195

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
All that really matters is playing the game - THAT's the way to keep it alive.
[...]
Just find another player, agree on some house rules, and PLAY.

Could not have said better. Play, play, play. Nothing else matters more than that at the moment. I got two friends in playing the game and we get together once or twice a year to play. It may not be much, but that is better than deciding, whether we are the 'Judaean Liberation Front' or the 'Liberation Front of Judaea'...

'SPLITTER!'
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

December 17, 2010, 02:16:44 PM
Reply #196

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
My local playgroup is back together and we are playing monthly. Anywhere from three to five of us. Good times, lots of fun!

December 21, 2010, 05:10:00 PM
Reply #197

Smeagollum

« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
@hawkeye spf

You are right the playerbase is to small, but......
the deviding part is in talking about x-list and errata. that is something where we never will get agreement on. So skip that part or create a workaround (for instance create a new format for players who like to have virtual sets (like what i think tbiesty did). People who dont want to play this format wont play it.. simple).
Where I think we can all meet eachother is  a kind of organizing how to get new players enthousiastic (indeed flyers, tournaments and what so ever) and into this game and maybe we should lift on lotr lcg (expand tlhh to lotr lcg as well). If that games hits and tlhh is the forum for lotr lcg players then maybe we can make people warm for lotr tcg as well.

So maybe a lotr tcg pc is a bit to much, but some kind of organization (on making flyers or advising eachothers how to lurk people into lotr and give some space for someone as thranduil with all his virtual sets on gccg (give it some separate section for playing dreamcards or stuff) might be workable.

And to all others.. actually we allready have a pc... we the players are it. And let us not stay in talking about a pc or not. Let us just discuss about some matters on tlhh and give some freedom to eachothers. If someone wants to experiment: Fine. If it doesnt work out it will clear itself. In that case there will be no need for a hierarchical pc.. it will be more as we are doing at this moment: flexible. Everybody can have its input or create ideas.

December 24, 2010, 11:54:40 AM
Reply #198

Kenddrick

« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
Hawkeye I will agree with you! I will develop the website into promoting the game! :D

December 30, 2010, 09:38:23 PM
Reply #199

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »
I'm still around, there just hasn't been much going on and I haven't had time to do anything with the game in my area.  I'm guessing Decipher is doing real estate and making more off of it than anything they are doing with cards and unless they are the ones getting the SW license at the start of this new year, then they are basically done in the card business.  The Hobbit movie would fall into what Fantasy Flight owns of the LOTR game at this point which is coming out soon.

From people like Brian Fred that tried out the demo, it sucked.  Looking at it online, looks cool.

December 31, 2010, 06:47:29 AM
Reply #200

Kenddrick

« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2010, 06:47:29 AM »
#$&*@! the LotR: LCG sucked? I was hoping for it to be good. :(

December 31, 2010, 04:45:28 PM
Reply #201

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
I was too.  All the guys at SW Worlds that played it said that it was done really poorly and that they found a lot of issues with the game that they kept pointing out the designers that were there.  Maybe the delay in the game is that they are having to re-work things with it otherwise I would have expected it to be out by now. 

They liked the artwork, but the gameplay was just poor and many flaws. 

December 31, 2010, 09:20:17 PM
Reply #202

Kenddrick

« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2010, 09:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up Scott! In the meantime, long live LOTR: TCG! :D

January 19, 2011, 09:44:58 AM
Reply #203

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
New LOTR Heroclix game coming out too.  I'm really excited for that and it might be the first product I'm actually wanting to buy from a gaming shop in years. 

January 19, 2011, 10:08:22 AM
Reply #204

rubbercarp

• Information Offline
  • Villager
    • www.ccg-singles.com
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
I was too.  All the guys at SW Worlds that played it said that it was done really poorly and that they found a lot of issues with the game that they kept pointing out the designers that were there.  Maybe the delay in the game is that they are having to re-work things with it otherwise I would have expected it to be out by now. 

They liked the artwork, but the gameplay was just poor and many flaws. 

This is devastating news! I was looking forward to the new game.
Hopefully you're right, and the delays will improve the game.

I'll still buy it when it comes out =)
All of my extra Lord of the Rings TCG, MECCG, SWCCG, and WoW TCG singles are available for sale on my website: http://www.ccg-singles.com

June 01, 2011, 11:11:25 AM
Reply #205

Galdor420

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
Hey Guys,

Stumbled onto this thread so I registered so I could chime in :) My way of keeping this game alive is collecting 4 copies of every card (sets 1-10 + promos cause I hate 11+) :D That way if I ever play with people I can ask what they like about lotr and make decks for them out of my own cards and play with them. This way me and my friends can make any decks we want (as long as they are sufficiently different) and enjoy this game forever. Anyone from Hamilton Ontario or even the GTA contact me, I'm long overdue for a game. Cheers!

June 01, 2011, 01:06:41 PM
Reply #206

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
Hey Guys,

Stumbled onto this thread so I registered so I could chime in :) My way of keeping this game alive is collecting 4 copies of every card (sets 1-10 + promos cause I hate 11+) :D That way if I ever play with people I can ask what they like about lotr and make decks for them out of my own cards and play with them. This way me and my friends can make any decks we want (as long as they are sufficiently different) and enjoy this game forever. Anyone from Hamilton Ontario or even the GTA contact me, I'm long overdue for a game. Cheers!

Sounds exactly like what I'm doing, too! :)

June 01, 2011, 09:48:20 PM
Reply #207

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Hey Guys,

Sounds exactly like what I'm doing, too! :)

Sounds pretty much like what I am doing, as well! Only that I try to "double up" on the "greatest hits" and splash cards, e.g. simbelmyne, double shot, morgul gates, greenleaf etc.

My friends like what I am doing ;)
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

June 03, 2011, 10:53:08 AM
Reply #208

Gartax

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
is it anyone still on this board from Québec city Canada who still wich to play?  We are still 4 person who play almost every friday, so if anyone wish to join we will be more than happy.

We play a causual expended, mining we have ban a little more card and we play few cards from the hunters block as well as some house rulz.

Just contact me!

August 16, 2011, 01:11:00 PM
Reply #209

Creator

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
I skimmed over some of the comments in this thread. I find it unlikely that Decipher is willing to do anything like release card templates probably until after they make a decision regarding cards for the Hobbit. They're rather entrenched in Fight Klub right now so I can't help but imagine that this is so far on the back burner that it's not even burning, so to speak. I've little experience with Decipher directly, but I've watched similar projects by fans to revive dead games (either card games or video games) and even when the publisher and developer is willing, it's typically too low of a priority for anything to get done. The fans usually just end up frustrated.

In the meantime, I've fooled around in photoshop (with the help of someone else) and have basically created the culture templates from scratch.  Not all of them are done, but I'm hoping they will be soon. Isengard, Dunland, Dwarven, Elven, Gondor, and a few other cultures are completely "blanked out". They look almost perfect. If you have skills with photoshop, you can type in the card text  to create your own cards for playtesting.

August 17, 2011, 09:56:00 AM
Reply #210

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
is it anyone still on this board from Québec city Canada who still wich to play?  We are still 4 person who play almost every friday, so if anyone wish to join we will be more than happy.

We play a causual expended, mining we have ban a little more card and we play few cards from the hunters block as well as some house rulz.

Just contact me!

I am, and I still play but rarely and always with the same friend. We play Movie block as we do not have many cards beyond that block. We don't have a lot of time for LOTR unfortunately but it would be cool to try to play with your group once in a while for fun.

October 28, 2011, 05:53:25 PM
Reply #211

Creator

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Is there anyone in the Southern CA region who plays? I haven't been able to meet or play for a game in years...

November 03, 2011, 01:01:15 AM
Reply #212

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:15 AM »
Where in socal are you located, Creator??
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

January 06, 2012, 06:51:21 AM
Reply #213

Avramm

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »
I don't ever really post, but do frequent these boards. I don't know if there is a topic for this yet (looked but didn't find one), but would it be beneficial to mark down the areas (perhaps loosely based for privacy's sake) where we live, in the event that we wanted to meet up person-to-person to play?

January 06, 2012, 08:08:32 AM
Reply #214

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »
I don't ever really post, but do frequent these boards. I don't know if there is a topic for this yet (looked but didn't find one), but would it be beneficial to mark down the areas (perhaps loosely based for privacy's sake) where we live, in the event that we wanted to meet up person-to-person to play?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116540555958747417074.00045ba7cbc4ea783241b&z=12

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,1221.0.html

Map was blank initially, had to click on someone's name to make it fill in.  Still useful though.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

September 03, 2018, 12:00:30 AM
Reply #215

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »
I am bumping this thread to remind me to read through all 15 pages at some point over the course of the next few days.