LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 139873 times)

November 06, 2009, 01:38:34 AM
Reply #15

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »
Who runs this website? Do you have their permission to start a Players Committee and evolve the website with errata, virtual cards, banned cards, tournaments, etc? If not you will need to start a new website.

Star Trek today modified their website to include both 1E and 2E sections and now support both games with virtual cards. The Australian Nationals had the largest attendance EVER this year - not bad for a "defunct" game. People travelled from Perth to Sydney to play (3000km or 1600ish miles).

Lord can do this too, it has a fan-base, but it has to start somewhere.

Step 1 - Who will lead the way? You can't vote yourself. Applications for those interested in starting off and managing the process would help - they can post their ideas, vision on a forum and then the community (those active on these boards) can vote. Once elected the process can start. Bear in mind not everyone will cooperate at the start - they are not your target audience - you are only interested in those that want this.

Nothing will happen without a leader.

November 06, 2009, 03:38:57 AM
Reply #16

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 03:38:57 AM »
Playtesting isn't the biggest issue I think. We have programs available, and a lot of 'online' knowledge'. Furthermore we have a lot of people who are very experienced and know the game very well. So I really think that getting this thing on the road, as something that can be viable, is the main issue. A lot of words have been dedicated to this issue, but less action is taken....I would not consider myself as experienced, as leader material, but I will support who ever I think is.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 06, 2009, 06:18:13 AM
Reply #17

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure that D didn't give any actual money to the SWCCGPC. They did give them product, but I doubt it was a million bucks worth.

Decipher sold their Austin Powers car on ebay and donated those proceeds and more to the PC for a total of a million dollars.

November 06, 2009, 10:36:53 AM
Reply #18

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
And why not trying to bring in the experience from the Star Trek PC? They will know what to do....and which steps to take
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 06, 2009, 12:40:03 PM
Reply #19

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
Gil-Estel's idea of contacting Star Trek PC is a really good idea. Charlie Paine is the chairman and from what i can tell those running the PC are really decent people. If someone contacted him or someone in the know they might give you an idea of how they got this up and running. Bear in mind that they got Brad De Fruitier onboard and he worked for Decipher - I'd say that has a lot to do with their success as he continues to assist in desgining new cards, and also helped with getting Paramount to 'turn a blind eye' or whatever it is they are doing.

Do you want me to start a forum on the Star Trek boards asking for help, ideas for getting this started, or asking how they got started? I personally know two people that are involved in Star Trek from Australia but do not have much knowledge about those overseas.

November 06, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
Reply #20

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »
I would agree, but I'm just 1 person ;)

November 06, 2009, 03:01:34 PM
Reply #21

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
As a player of SWCCG and not LOTR I have to say I'd be willing to aid you guys in what ever plans you wanted to make.  I can probably make some reasonable templates to work from and we could start putting out at least a few "expansions"

The biggest problem I foresee is the balance of any new cards.  I'm ready and willing to throw in some support, but I think we should start small with halfcard V-cards rather than full ones (at least for a while or until we get somewhat known by the PC community.

Any got an idea for the theme of the first set? :P

November 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
Reply #22

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
Balance would not be an issue. If I can balance my checkbook, I can balance a game.

November 06, 2009, 05:21:04 PM
Reply #23

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
I think we should make the theme of the revival a throwback to the beginning of the game. The Fellowship of the Ring!

In the process, we could design some new cards to compliment the revival, introduce these as the promo cards for the launch and then use these as part of the new sets.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 06, 2009, 08:37:15 PM
Reply #24

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
Alright, is there a place where discussions can start about a serious player's committee?  I've done a quick search on google and uncovered no official site, or forum, and this is as good a place as any.

I agree that the first set should go back to the beginning and focus on the Fellowship of the Ring.

Perhaps we can start with a simple set of 9 for the Freeps, and 9 for the Creeps, and 2 new sites?

And remember, when/if we really start working on new cards, these can't simply be "dream cards" or crazy cards. 

One question though, is there a play testing body that would actually be willing to test things before we simply release them?

November 06, 2009, 10:43:09 PM
Reply #25

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
I made a basic card template from an existing card using MS Paint in a few minutes. I am sure a more advanced one could be made using a better program such as Photoshop. Having more trouble adding text using MS Paint because of limitations of program (particularly orientation of text).

BTW - I created a post on the Star Trek message boards
http://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6248
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:56:29 PM by chompers »

November 06, 2009, 11:53:00 PM
Reply #26

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Awesome. :gp:

November 07, 2009, 12:57:30 AM
Reply #27

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
But I guess there is enough know how and experience to design new cards. There are players that I guess have been involved with testplaying and other than that, have experience in designing balanced cards.
Kuddos though on what ever there is right now.

November 07, 2009, 03:56:01 AM
Reply #28

MidnightLich

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 03:56:01 AM »
Hi guys.

My name is Charlie Plaine. I'm the Chairman of The Continuing Committee (http://www.trekcc.org), which is the player's committee for the STCCGs. I saw a post on our forums linking to these, and thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I have a lot of experience setting up a PC and reviving a dead game - we've actually experienced significant growth in the past year, and it doesn't show any signs of stopping.

If I can be of help, let me know. I won't be offering unsolicited advice.

-crp

November 07, 2009, 08:41:33 AM
Reply #29

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 08:41:33 AM »
that would be great!