LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Wizard Choke  (Read 4749 times)

June 15, 2008, 08:12:34 AM
Read 4749 times

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:03:25 AM by NappyKorn »
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

June 15, 2008, 08:26:04 AM
Reply #1

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Wizard Choke
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:26:04 AM »
Nice ideas! The only problem I see is that you're adding a lot of threats with only a small number of companions...and there's no way to remove those threats. With you sometimes killing off your own Wizards, I'd say removing threats is a must. Maybe toss in NFFatRoD, Elven Long Knife, and/or Citadel to Gate?
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

June 15, 2008, 09:33:20 AM
Reply #2

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
Hmmm I must be missing something. I see Gwaihir as the threat adder only. And most of the time he will just be getting spotted for Meneldor. He might see more action if say no other followers are in play. You can either do the sacrificial idea and in that case why attach a follower since they will be discarded. Or you can attach Melendor and either Pallando and/or Alatar. That triggers the Strange Meetings. While choking you should face to many beefy minions and surely a strength 17 Gandy and strength 14 Radagast can survive :up:. I added Gwaihir only because The Radagast follower couldn't be added and he is nice in case you face a Saruman who exerts (easy way to kill him off for a double or triple. Gwaihir wouldn't see much action anyway and if he did just place the threat on the other Wizard then he can be killed and replayed during the regroup phase  ;D.

Oh Yeah missed Sting, But not likely I would be using that text unless I had no choice but to run for a win late. Sting is mainly in here for the +2 strength pump :up:

June 15, 2008, 10:27:19 AM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
I think DI was talking mainly about Sméagol.

Thranduil

June 15, 2008, 10:44:25 AM
Reply #4

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:44:25 AM »
smeagol is just a pawn in this deck a way to start 3 companions he dies as soon as he gets the chance. Hopefully Radagast shows up in hand before then :D

June 15, 2008, 10:54:50 AM
Reply #5

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:54:50 AM »
Fair enough, but the fact that he's rare looks like you had a use for him! ;)

Thranduil

June 15, 2008, 11:01:35 AM
Reply #6

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
lol I guess I can put use any smeagol since he is fodder

June 15, 2008, 02:07:54 PM
Reply #7

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
Yeah, Sting and Gwaihir were what I meant. I figured out quickly that poor Smeagol was just a decoy. :P
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

June 15, 2008, 02:48:05 PM
Reply #8

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Possibly run Gandalf, Leader of Men and let him die as soon as you get Sent Back, then you can start Smeagol and a solid 2 twilight comp of your choice, Legolas, Fearless Marksman and Gimli, Eager Hunter come to mind (actually, probably not Legolas since you run Radagast's Staff. I like Smeagol, but not as fodder, possibly as his own choke engine, Safe Passage comes to mind.

I wouldn't want to move on that much in a deck since Radagast is actually a drawback to choking, since his ability helps cycle your opponent's hand. Possibly a good idea if you do run Smeagol with Gladden Homestead, as he'll get hands clogged with conditions cards. Especially since you then grab Gandalf, Returned to reinforce Gladden Homestead.

For style points, I'd run a Deceived Wizards shadow. :mrgreen: For competetiveness, maybe try Forestguls, running Smeagol + Sitepath rocking would be great.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:50:33 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan