LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: sooo... can I?  (Read 5081 times)

June 23, 2008, 06:41:18 PM
Read 5081 times

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
sooo... can I?
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »
make infinite green mana with fyndhorn elder and thousand-year elixir? say, in my turn 4 with the elixir in play, play the elf and tap him, then pay 1 to untap him, then tap him again, then pay 1 to untap him again, etc...?
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".

June 23, 2008, 07:05:03 PM
Reply #1

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
Re: sooo... can I?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
What's it's text say? ;D

June 24, 2008, 06:09:51 AM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:09:51 AM »
Yeah, MR. Lurtzy is merely spamming, but he has a point. Whenever posting a question, try to go to WotC website and get the oracle text (not the printed text) of the cards involved, it helps a lot (for instance, WotC is blocked here, so I can't access it, great thing I know those by heart, I think).

Thousand-Year Elixir:
Artifact 
You may play activated abilities of creatures you control as though those creatures had haste.
(1), (T): Untap target creature.

Fyndhorn Elder
(T): Add (G)(G) to your mana pool.

Unfortunately, you can't. You tap the Elder, adding (G)(G) to your mana pool. Then, you use a (G) you added AND TAP the Elixir to untap the Elder. If the Elixir's ability did not require tapping, THEN you would be able to do it.

You can, however, always use Selesnya Guildmage (or anything that puts a saproling in play by paying some mana) with a bunch of elves, Priest of Titania and Intruder's Alarm, though. ;)
PS: This is just a teaser, of course, there are TONS of ways to make infinite mana.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:11:54 AM by Felipe Musco »

June 24, 2008, 01:55:30 PM
Reply #3

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
oh, I just didn't see that tap symbol, anyway, if I could, I could make also an infinite elven army with imperious perfect. and, what have to do the saprolings with all this? I dont get it. the bunch of elves and priest of titania thing is obvious, but the saproling thing...   thanks anyway for the advice
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:08:25 PM by Gizlivadi »
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".

June 24, 2008, 02:58:50 PM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »
You don't need a Saproling maker, it's just what came to mind, you could use Imperious Perfect, much better (it's an elf anyway). You just need something that let's you spend mana to get a creature at instant speed, so Intruder Alarm untaps them all and you can add infinite mana, making infinite creatures, at the opponent's EOT, and then untap and attack for the win.
PS: "Infinite" is not possible in magic, you just make an arbitrarely large amount of it.

June 26, 2008, 05:52:41 AM
Reply #5

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »
Infinite is something like Djinn Illuminatus/Pact of the Titans/Emblem of the Warmind. But yeah, just choose an arbitraliy large number. 5 trillion usually does the trick.

"I attack with this guy, this guy, this guy...this guy...and several trillion others. That would be 20 trillion damage."

"WTF?!?!?!"

Or....

P.S. Love the note for Intruder Alarm.

"10/4/2004 If multiple creatures come into play at one time, this ability triggers once for each creature. This doesn't matter much, but it can in some cases. "

Someone at Wizards was a little tired...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:58:32 AM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

June 26, 2008, 09:09:37 AM
Reply #6

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
To clarify it better: whenever the game enters a loop that CAN be stopped (for instance, with NBarden's example, you can replicate Pact of the Titan as many times as you want, since it costs 0, but you CAN choose to stop doing it), the player who can stop it chooses a number. The loop is considered to have occured that number of times, and then stops. So, there's no "infinite", per say.
On the other hand, suppose I play Oblivion Ring, and the only permanent in play it can target is a Mogg Fanatic, which gets sacrificed in response, so the RIng stays in play, bu has removed nothing. Then, a second Oblivion Ring is played, targetting the first one.
Now, you have a Ring in play, removing another Ring. If ANOTHER Ring is played, if there are no more permanents in play that the Rings can target, the game enters a NON-STOPPABLE infinite loop, since the Ring will remove the other Ring, making the first Ring come into play. Its ability will trigger, and you'll have to remove the third Ring, which in turn will return the SECOND Ring to play, triggering its ability, so on, so forth. If something like THIS happens, the game is ended instantly in a tie.