LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Some random cards I thought up  (Read 5679 times)

February 22, 2010, 12:40:11 PM
Read 5679 times

sharkey

Some random cards I thought up
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
So these are my first magic dream cards, but I like the idea behind them.

Soul Bind - Enchantment - [3](W)(W)(W)
Enchant target creature you control. You gain X life, where X is that creature's power and toughness combined. Then that creature gains +X/+X and lifelink, where X is your life total. When enchanted creature is put to the graveyard, you lose the game.
[3](W)(W)(W): Enchanted creature gains protection from chosen color until the end of turn.

Form Entwine - Enchantment - [3](G)(G)(G)

Target player chooses to enchant target creature they control. That creature gains +X/+X and trample, where X is that player's life total. When enchanted creature is put to the graveyard, the creature's owner loses the game.
[6]: Regenerate enchanted creature.

Necrotic Chimera - Enchantment - [3](B)(B)(B)

Enchant target creature in any graveyard. Put that creature into play under your control. That creature gains +X/+X, where X is your life total. You lose the game if the creature card is in your graveyard at the end of the turn.
If the enchanted creature would be put to the graveyard at any time, you may pay [3](B)(B)(B). If you do, return that creature card and this enchantment enchanting it to play.

Illusionary Attachment - Enchantment - [3](U)(U)(U)

You chooses to enchant target creature any player controls. That creature gains +X/+X and shroud, where X is that creature's controller's life total. When enchanted creature is put to the graveyard, the creature's owner loses the game.
[3](U)(U)(U): Enchanted creature gains flying until the end of turn.

Rage Unison - Enchantment - [3](R)(R)(R)

Enchant target creature you control. That creature gains +X/+X and first strike, where X is your life total. When enchanted creature is put to the graveyard, the creature's owner loses the game.
[3](R)(R)(R), Pay X life. Enchanted creature deals X damage to target player or creature.

The idea behind them is that the planeswalker controlling the creature is binding with them in some form to augment their power, at the cost of leaving themselves open to attack from any card that kills creatures. All of them have (expensive) plans to deal with these problems, except unthinking red. However, red gets arguably the most powerful card. Some of them are also fun because they can make another player enchant one of their own creatures. For flavor reasons, they would have to say something prohibiting each player from controlling more than one enchanted creature. They all make for pretty powerful cards. Imagine soul bind with Felidar Sovreign!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:01:43 AM by sharkey »

February 22, 2010, 12:55:46 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Some random cards I thought up
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Do you want me to help you out with the wording, or just comments on the ideas? I can do both. :D And btw, I liked the idea a lot.

February 22, 2010, 02:49:48 PM
Reply #2

sharkey

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Both, of course!

February 23, 2010, 07:03:03 AM
Reply #3

sharkey

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:03:03 AM »
Ok, I already redid them to make them a little more unique. Each of them now have a defining, "that one is different from the others" change.

February 23, 2010, 09:48:03 AM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Really cool idea - I like.

Some specific comments, then some general comments.

Specifics first:

1) You need to replace the clause "When enchanted creature goes to a graveyard from play" with "When enchanted creature leaves the battlefield" - otherwise you could just Oblivion Ring your guy and get around it. Or if you don't want to include bounce in that, perhaps it should be "When enchanted creature goes to the graveyard or exile zone".

2) The blue one is by far the best, followed by the white. For (U), shroud on a guy like that is just sick! I would swap the flying and shroud so that you have to pay for shroud. And the (W) one is so sick because it boosts its power with lifelink. Does it need lifelink? Probably not.

Now some general points:

1) Do they need to enchant creatures in play? Would it not be much cleaner to make a guy like:

Bestial Avatar [3](G)(G)(G)
Creature - Beast Avatar
Trample
~ is X/X, where X is your life total.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, you lose the game.
[3](G)(G)(G): Regenerate ~.
X/X

That could also leave you with a bit more freedom of what you could do. Maybe your black guy could have "[3](B)(B)(B): Put target creature card in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control" or other more global effects.

Thranduil

February 23, 2010, 10:25:01 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
I'll reword the card to in-game writing, and review the reworded version.

Soul Bind [3](W)(W)(W)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control. When Soul Bind enters the battlefield, you gain X life, where X is the enchanted creature's power and toughness combined before attaching Soul Bind to it. Enchanted creature gains +X/+X and lifelink, where X is your life total. When enchanted creature is put into the graveyard, you lose the game.
[3](W)(W)(W): Enchanted creature gains protection from chosen color until the end of turn.

First of all, the amount of words. These are waaaaaay too long to actually fit in a card reasonably. The drawback is huge considering how many ways you have to kill white creatures (considering triple-white in its cost, it's mots likely what it'll be enchanting), and the enchantment itself does not grant any form of evasion, so the protection ability could well enough cost (W) or [1](W).

Form Entwine [3](G)(G)(G)
Enchantment - Aura
When you cast Form Entwine, you may choose to give control of it to target player. Enchant creature you control. Enchanted creature gains +X/+X and trample, where X is your life total. When enchanted creature is put into the graveyard, you lose the game.
[6]: Regenerate enchanted creature.

Again, too big a drawback for its cost and how easy it is to kill the enchanted creature. I'd cost the regeneration at (G) at most, and it'd still not be very good, I mean, I'd play Blanchwood Armor over this any day, and I wouldn't actually play Blanchwood Armor in a deck. Not sure how to make this one better, though.

Necrotic Chimera [3](B)(B)(B)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature in any graveyard. Put enchanted creature onto the battlefield under your control. That creature gains +X/+X, where X is your life total. At the end of the turn, if enchanted creature is in the graveyard, you lose the game.
If enchanted creature would be put into the graveyard, you may pay [3](B)(B)(B). If you do, return it to the battlefield and attach this aura to it.

Now THIS one is nice. Between Fear, Shadow, Flying and others (heck, even Trample!), black has a vast array of evasion and life-draining to make this worthwhile, and it has the less vulnerable creatures, not to mention a legit way to keep on the table. Still costs a lot, though, I'd reduce both costs to [2](B)(B).

Illusionary Attachment [3](U)(U)(U)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gains +X/+X and shroud, where X is its controller's life total. When enchanted creature is put into the graveyard, its owner loses the game.
[3](U)(U)(U): Enchanted creature gains flying until the end of turn.

Another solid one, but the Flying is not that great, really. Costs too much to be relevant, and most control-deck finishers will already be big enough to seal the deal that this bonus won't either matter, or be relevant enough, as life tends to be sued as a cushion by control players.

Rage Unison [3](R)(R)(R)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control. Enchanted creature gains +X/+X and first strike, where X is your life total. When enchanted creature is put into the graveyard, you lose the game.
[3](R)(R)(R), Pay X life: Enchanted creature deals X damage to target player or creature.

Again, costs too much. I'd give it a lower mana cost, and even though it wouldn't see play, too risky. I mean, you pay, say, 17 life, and take a Lightning Bolt in response? No thanks.