LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rise of the New Age  (Read 12801 times)

February 23, 2010, 07:17:53 AM
Read 12801 times

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Rise of the New Age
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
Well, I had some ideas for Mtgs a long time ago, using new creaure types with really cool effects, and finally, I came to te point to start making my first MtG Block called "Rise of the New Age". The story takes place in Dominiara, after that all of the Planar Portals have been closed...

Rise of the New Age Block

"The Beginning"- 315 cards

Rares: 100
Uncommons: 100
Commons: 100
Basic Lands: 15

Green:

Swift Lindorm (G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/1
C

Slippy Lindorm (1)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike, Poisonous 1
1/1
C

Agile Lindorm (1)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/2
C

Huge Lindorm (4)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
5/4
U

Furious Lindorm (1)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
When Furious Lindorm comes into play, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to target creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
2/1
U

Lindorm Brood (2)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
When Lindorm Brood comes into play, put a 2/1 green Lindorm token with first strike onto the battlefield.
2/1
U

Cruel Lindorm (2)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike
All Lindorms are poisonous 1.
3/2
R

Vroran, Fell Lindorm (3)(G)(G)
Legendary Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike, Trample
Whenever Vroran, Fell Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to target creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
3/3
R

Draire, Master of All Lindorms (3)(G)(G)(G)
First Strike
Other Lindorms are +1/+0.
Whenever a Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to target creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
4/4
R

Giant Growth (G)
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+3 until the end of turn.
C

Lindorm Skill (2)(G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Target Lindorm gets deathtouch until the end of turn.
Draw a card.
C

Lindorm Poison (3)(G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Put 2 poison counters on target opponent.
U

Sneaky Strike (G)
Tribal Instant -Lindorm
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to target creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
Flashback (2)(G)
R

Malicious Retreat (3)(G)
Tribal Enchantment - Lindorm
(2)(G): Discard a card from hand to place a Lindorm from your graveyard on top of your library.
R

Tribute to Draire [1] (G)
Tribal Sorcery - Lindorm
Sacrifice any number of Lindorms to search your library for a Lindorm card with converted mana cost X, while X is equal to the converted mana cost of all Lindorms sacrificed, then put it onto the Battlefield.
R

Artifacts:

Lindorm Tooth [1]
Tribal artifact - Lindorm
(T): Make a Lindorm +1/+0 until the end of turn.
C

Lindorm Scales [3]
Tribal artifact - Lindorm
Whenever you reveal the top card of your library, put a scale counter on this card.
[1] (G) (T), remove two scale counters from Lindorm Scales: Draw a card.
U

Black:

Dealing with antidotes [2] (B)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Remove X poison counters from an opponent to draw X cards.
R

Next cards will be added soon!

February 23, 2010, 07:29:47 AM
Reply #1

sharkey

Re: Rise of the New Age
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:47 AM »
Lots of lindorms! And some poisonous. Awesome! But maybe too much like slivers?

February 23, 2010, 07:33:37 AM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »
Lots of lindorms! And some poisonous. Awesome! But maybe too much like slivers?

Not exactly, I mean, slivers are all: "(...) all slivers are/get (...)" Lindorms are all first strike, have some nice combos with non-creature-spells. I also like the revealing ability, I wish there was something similar to this in real MtG, too...

February 23, 2010, 08:13:17 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »

Whats a lindorm??

Green:

Swift Lindorm (G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/1
C

Ok i guess.

Slippy Lindorm [1](G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike, Poisonious 1
1/1
C

Dont know what poisonous is, so cant tell if its OP or not.

Agile Lindorm [1](G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/2
C

Ok.

Huge Lindorm [4](G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
5/4
C

Should probably be 4/4 maybe?

Furious Lindorm [1](G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
When Furious Lindorm comes into play, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
2/1
U

May need to cost [2] G G

Lindorm Brood [2](G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
When Lindorm Brood comes into play, put a 2/1 green Lindorm token with first strike onto the battlefield.
2/1
U

Hmm ok.

Cruel Lindorm [2](G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike
All Lindorms are poisonious 1.
3/2
R

Again dont know what it means but seems powerful.

Vroran, Fell Lindorm [3](G)(G)
Flash, First Strike, Haste, Trample
Whenever Vroran, Fell Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
3/3
R

Green shouldnt have haste really.

Draire, Master of All Lindorms [3](G)(G)(G)
First Strike
All Lindorms are +1/+0.
Whenever a Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
4/4
R

Might want to add a bit of variety at this point?

Lindorm Skill [2](G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Target lindorm get's deathtouch until the end of turn.
Draw a card.
C

Ok.

Lindorm Poison [4](G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Put 3 poison counters on target opponent.
U

???

Sneaky Strike (G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
Flashback [2](G)
R

Is that all they do?

Malicous Reatreat [3](G)
Tribal Enchantement - Lindorm
[2](G): Discard a card from hand to place a Lindworm from your graveyard on top of your library.
R

Gees thats powerful but useful.

Next cards will be added soon!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

February 23, 2010, 08:19:51 AM
Reply #4

sharkey

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Poisonous means whenever the deal combat damage to a player, the player gets X poison counters. When they get 10, they lose/ die.

February 23, 2010, 08:56:40 AM
Reply #5

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
Lindorn is a "dragon without wings", something like a worm, but it's tribe actually is dragon, more like a snake, soit also has poisonous (which is one of my favorite abilities, btw.)

Taken from Wikipedia: Lindworm/ or Lindorm (cognate with Old Norse linnormr 'constrictor snake', Norwegian linnorm 'dragon', Swedish lindorm 'serpent', German Lindwurm 'dragon') in British heraldry, is a technical term for a wingless bipedal dragon often with a poisonous bite.

so, I guess that's the exact definition.

February 23, 2010, 09:53:44 AM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
Poison counters were introduced as a throwaway keyword in Future Sight. Very bizarre.

I also agree with lem0n that your Lindorms could have a lot more variety. Also, what's the flavour reason that they help each other out, that they're so tribally oriented? Dragons, for example, don't tend to care that much about other Dragons (except for Kings like Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund).

Thranduil
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:55:35 AM by Thranduil »

February 23, 2010, 10:01:43 AM
Reply #7

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
But poison couters existed a long time before, like in Unlimited or 4th ed. I think. I like the poison counters srtategy very much, even though it's very hard to build a competitive Deck around them.

Actually, Lindorms are not dragons ;) if you read some books about Lindorms (I read about 2 or 3), you'll see that it's mostly a bigger tribe. They are not as selfish as dragons, maybe cus' they can't fly. I'm also still working on tose cards, these are just about 20 cards from my first set, and 2 others will follow (hopefully).

but anyway, they have First strike (all), Flash, poisinous and the revealing stuff and I'm working on some deathtouch cards, still looking for just one more strategy.

February 23, 2010, 10:34:15 AM
Reply #8

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
But poison couters existed a long time before, like in Unlimited or 4th ed. I think.
I thought so, but when I did a Gatherer search for "poison", I only found Future Sight cards...

Thranduil

February 23, 2010, 10:40:53 AM
Reply #9

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
Take a look at this:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[poison]

EDIT: You can't klick on the link, but copy it and paste it in a new tab.

There are some cards, but as said before, not so many, mostly old ones.

February 23, 2010, 12:53:52 PM
Reply #10

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
Thanks - I don't know why those cards didn't show up when I tried, and like I said I had a feeling that it was older. Never mind.

Thranduil

February 23, 2010, 01:14:33 PM
Reply #11

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
Sweet, another DC set! Gogogo reviewing!

Swift Lindorm (G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/1
C

Sure, why not?

Slippy Lindorm (1)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike, Poisonous 1
1/1
C

Sure, as well.

Agile Lindorm (1)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
1/2
C

I'd make it a 1/1 double-striker (or even a 1/2, doesn't matter).

Huge Lindorm (4)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
5/4
C

I'm not really fond of first-strike on such big creatures at common, would show up too much in Limited, and it really matters. I think U would befit it best.

Furious Lindorm (1)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
When Furious Lindorm comes into play, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
2/1
U

Who's it? If it's the revealed Lindorm, fine, but if it's Furious, it should state so (it matters because of the source of the damage, like, if it reveals a tribal artifact, the damage will be colorless - which I think is sweet, I'd keep it this way). Also, it needs to be a TARGET creature. Last, not sure if you do hybrid, I'd make it a (G)(R) one if you do. Even though it COULD be played in monogreen, unless you're color-bleeding on purpose, green should damage only fliers.

Lindorm Brood (2)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
First Strike
2/1
U

Ehhhnnn... I'm seeing a lot of first strike, so I'm getting a little sick by now, but the card itself is cool.

Cruel Lindorm (2)(G)(G)
Creature - Lindorm
Flash, First Strike
All Lindorms are poisonous 1.
3/2
R

They gain poisonous, it's a triggered ability that stacks. Really nice, btw.

Vroran, Fell Lindorm (3)(G)(G)
Flash, First Strike, Haste, Trample
Whenever Vroran, Fell Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
3/3
R

I think Flash kind of defeats the purpose of haste, unless the creature has a (T) ability, so I think you could lose it, in order to make it seem less powerful. And again, the "it" issue and the target issue (and the damage issue). And I think this one might be doing too much at [3](G)(G), perhaps [2](G)(G)(G) might be in order. Also, "Fell Lindorm" feel kind of black to me, perhaps if could be hybrid (in which case it could giver -X/-X to a creature instead).

Draire, Master of All Lindorms (3)(G)(G)(G)
First Strike
All Lindorms are +1/+0.
Whenever a Lindorm deals damage to a player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
4/4
R

Lords usually do not give bonuses to themselves, so this one should read all OTHER Lindorms. Other than this (which is not a requirement, just a design thing), it looks fine (aside from the it, target and damage issues already stated).

Giant Growth (G)
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+3 until the end of turn.
C

This seems a bit overpowered...

Lindorm Skill (2)(G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Target Lindorm gets deathtouch until the end of turn.
Draw a card.
C

This is so narrow outside of block play that I think it could cost [1](G), or even (G) if you lost the cantriping. Or you could word it to look like Peppersmoke.

Lindorm Poison (4)(G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Put 3 poison counters on target opponent.
U

This one I'm not sure, but I think opponents get poison counters, you don't put those on them(but it WOULD be fun to drop glass beads over obnoxious players from my store...). Also, this is WAAAAY too powerful. Really. [3](G) for 2 counters would be nice enough, I think.

Sneaky Strike (G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a Lindorm, it does X damage to a creature, while X is the number of Lindorms you control.
Flashback (2)(G)
R

Same issues again.

Malicious Retreat (3)(G)
Tribal Enchantment - Lindorm
(2)(G): Discard a card from hand to place a Lindorm from your graveyard on top of your library.
R

Trading in lands for beef? Ouch! I think this would be more balanced if you discarded creatures.

Dealing with antidotes [2] (G)
Tribal Instant - Lindorm
Remove X poison counters from an opponent to draw X cards.
R

Not sure how good it is, but it looks way too good - and not a lot green.

Tribute to Draire [X] (G)
Tribal Sorcery - Lindorm
Sacrifice any number of Lindorms to search your library for a Lindorm card with converted mana cost X, while X is equal to the converted mana cost of all Lindorms sacrificed.
R

Just searching? No putting it onto the battlefield? Also, you need to pay mana AND sacrifice the guys? Ouch! I think sacrificing could be an additional cost, and the spell should cost (G)(G).

Lindorm Scale [1]
Tribal artefact - Lindorm
(T): Make a Lindorm +0/+1 until the end of turn.
C

Artifact is spelled wrong. Also, this sucks... mightly. But in all fairness, it IS a card that I can picture seeing print. I thik it could cost [X][X], enter the battlefield with X+1 counters, and give it +0/+X, so it could interact with costs of Lindorms.

Lindorm Tooth [1]
Tribal artefact - Lindorm
(T): Make a Lindorm +1/+0 until the end of turn.
C

This one is slightly better.

February 23, 2010, 01:33:37 PM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
So, just to say it: Lindorms are gonna be a green-black strategy with some Deck manipulating, so I won't change with my "reveal and deal X damage ability", if it's OK. Maybe it will make more sense when black will be added.

Made Huge Lindorm an Uncommon.

As for Vrorans, Flash, I first wanted to do something like "(T): Vroran deals 1 damage to target opponent" or something like that, but it would be waaaay overpowered and I forgot to delete flash.

Changed Draire to "other Lindorms".

As for Lindorm Skill, I think (2) (G) as mana cost is ok. You know why? In a Lindworm Deck, it's like "destroy target fighting creature and draw a card" cus' they'll all have First Strike, so maybe just (1) (G) would be too strong.

I thought about Lindorm poison for a while, and I think you'll right with that, or it could cost (ç)(G)(G), but that would be too expensive in a Lindorm Deck.

Dealing with antidotes is gonna be Black.

Tribut to Draire was a big mistake. It should be put into play and the Mnan costs are (1) (G). Sorry for that.

And last bot not least, I'll change Lindorm Scale into something completely new, and also changing it's name into "Lindorm Scales".

February 23, 2010, 01:42:53 PM
Reply #13

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
Yeah, black tends to do damage sometimes, although the -X/-X is a more common theme. But I can't quite see green dealing damage is a theme, it's just... unnatural. You're basically giving monogreen aggro the one thing it lacks (which is also what balances it) - removal.

February 23, 2010, 01:49:55 PM
Reply #14

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
Yeah, black tends to do damage sometimes, although the -X/-X is a more common theme. But I can't quite see green dealing damage is a theme, it's just... unnatural. You're basically giving monogreen aggro the one thing it lacks (which is also what balances it) - removal.

Yeah, I first wanted to make it somewhat like "to target creature or player", but that would have been horribly strong and as for creature buring, I thought there were a couple of cards... let me think... some really old ones... I'll have to look through my MtG Book (with all cards from Alpha to Ravnica!).

Anyway, Black poisoning will be just... awesome!