LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rise of the Eldrazi  (Read 4242 times)

April 14, 2010, 05:09:20 PM
Read 4242 times

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Rise of the Eldrazi
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
So we've seen the full spoiler. What do we think of the set?

I think it's weird there are no cards like Ghostfire given that was the 'original spoiler' for the set.

Other than that, in limited it looks like the Eldrazi are gold. Hardly any ways of dealing with Eldrazi once they hit play. (W) has the best answers I feel like tapping them and putting them 2nd from the top of someone's library, followed by (U)'s counterspells - I don't fancy trying to Vendetta Kozilek :-S .

So while you can hardly deal with Eldrazi, it looks like there are loads of ways to take advantage of them, like Momentous Fall, Induce Despair et al.

As far as I can see, the best answer to your opponent's Eldrazi is your own Eldrazi. :twisted:

Also, it looks like it could be a bomb rare dominated format.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:12:00 PM by Thranduil »

April 15, 2010, 12:35:22 AM
Reply #1

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: Rise of the Eldrazi
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
I like the set but in terms of gameplay i think its messed up.

Level up is awful. Good for limited as it expands your narrow options, but the costs far outweigh the benefits. Waste of time.

Eldrazi are awesome, but not viable in constructed apart from playing summoning trap/polymorph decks. I can see a fair few of those going around... It wont stop me from trying to make an eldrazi spawn deck to play an eldrazi properly tho. Doubt it will ever be Emrakul though.

Limited will be a race to drop the eldrazi bomb then its all over. White does have a few cards such as guard duty to help out but largley this is what it will be. This set is all about limited cos it sure as #$&*@! aint about constructed.

Totem armor is quite good, but nothing mind blowing. The defender decks looks slightly interesting too.

Besides collecting the eldrazi cos theyre just so #$&*@! awesome and the art rocks, I will just be buying it for support cards for decks I already have really. Ill make an eldrazi deck and maybe the defender deck but i dont see much else in there.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

April 15, 2010, 03:57:12 AM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:12 AM »
I'm really psyched about mono (R) control. Imagine Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Lust for War, (R) defenders like Rage Nimbus, Vent Sentinels + Manabarbs and some control burn like Comet Storm, Lightning Bolt and wrath like Chain Reaction. Actually seems not a bad casual deck!

April 15, 2010, 06:07:48 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
It's difficult to evaluate Rise of the Eldrazi, because we're simply not used to SEEING so many spells costing that much. How can we evaluate a 10-cost spell? And how about a 15-cost spell? Is it possible to CAST them? Yes. Is it likely? No, not really. Can you design a deck to do it? Yes. Can it win? Probably not enough to warrant attention. Can you use Eldrazi Spawns? Of course. And lose to Jund Charm, Volcanic Fallout, that black sorcery with kicker I forgot the name, Infest etc. SOME of those giant spells will see play, for instance, I think giving red and black a way to FINALLY get rid of enchantments is worth the 7 mana in a slower environment. However, this set has everything to go poorly. As for level up, MOST of the levelers suck, but there's a blue Merfolk that flies early that seems worth it, and there's a white weenie guy that is good enough. Not superb, but good enough. In Extended and forward, Serra Avenger outshines him too greatly to even consider. There's also a nice red aggro dude, RR for a 2/2, he fits nice enough in the curve, and you can level him up on turn 4 and again on turn 5, all the way to go toe-to-toe with Figure of Destiny. However, he's WAAAAY less versatile, and if I'm playing monored, I need to be more aggressive than "drop a bear, do nothing on 4th turn and hope for no removal, again on 5th turn and THEN you might win". I want to be WINNING on the fifth turn.

April 18, 2010, 06:49:36 AM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »
Soul's Attendant is SO going in my extended white weenie. :)
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan