LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Meta Analysis Anyone?  (Read 5300 times)

April 26, 2010, 12:14:23 PM
Read 5300 times

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Meta Analysis Anyone?
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
So,

I'm getting back into T2 via MWS again, because I found a guy here who plays MtG. I'm wondering what the meta looks like, what's good, what's bad, maybe decklists, key cards, etc? What's even legal? Is Alara still legal, or what about Lorwyn?

Thanks!
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

April 26, 2010, 12:41:30 PM
Reply #1

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: Meta Analysis Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
Standard legal is alara block, m10, zendikar block. Rise of the eldrazi is the thirds set in that block and it was released last week. The next set is M11 and that doesnt rotate anything. So for a few months 2 core sets will be legal. After that its scars of mirrodin and that rotates alara block.

The currrent tournament winning decks are

vampires
eldrazi green
jund
u/w control

Jund currently wins everything and its well nasty, I cant wait for alara to rotate so it buggers off.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

April 26, 2010, 02:54:52 PM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
Eldrazi Green hasn't posted good results in a while now, actually. Top Contenders would be Boss Naya, Jund, UW Tapout and Br Vampires. Wr Allies are also posting good results, but so was Bortos Bushwacker, and it has fallen off the radar, so these things change awfully fast. I expect some hype about UG Polymorph/Summoning Trap, perhaps it'll post good results due to sheer numbers, but the deck is still not good enough in my book. And specially not eschewing Progenitus for the Eldrazi.

April 27, 2010, 06:36:45 AM
Reply #3

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
Sweet. And how do these all work? I remember Jund, but I'm guessing it got souped up, because Jund was not all that good back in the day. What are the key cards/strategies for this?
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

April 27, 2010, 09:38:37 AM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Basically (I can post decklists later, but just to jump-start you):

Eldrazi Green - Basically a kind of monogreen Elf aggro strategy, with Eldrazi Monument to finish things off.
Boss Naya - The usual suspects in a Naya aggro deck, but this one plays Stoneforge Mystic, Basilisk Collar and Cunning Sparkmage in order to have a repeatable removal effect. Tops out at Baneslayer Angel. Some versions ALSO play Emeria Angel.
Jund - A lot of versions are playing with Rampant Growth, in order to fix mana while ramping, and also to avoid Spreading Seas' blowout. The deck is absurdly resilient, and can fit in just about anything, so it's hard to say what does in nowadays. Mainly Putrid Leech, Maelstrom Pulse, Terminate, Blightning, Bloodbraid Elf, Lightning Bolt, Sprouting Thrinax and Broodmate Dragon. Some versions pack Siege-Gang Commander.
UW Tapout - Control deck. Counters, Day of Judgment, Everflowing Chalice and Spreading Seas (messes up manabases something FIERCE!). Finisher of choice tends to be Sphinx of Jwar Isle, due to shroud.
Br Vampires - Monoblack Vampires splashing red for stuff like Lightning Bolt and Terminate. Also, Malakir Bloodwitch has been making some appearances, due to stopping Baneslayer Angel dead on its tracks.
Wr Allies - Red/White aggro decks, with the cheapest allies and burn. Simple as that.
Boros Bushwacker - Red/White aggro deck with Goblin Guide, Steppe Lynx, Plated Geopede and fetches, but due to Cunning Sparkmage, they fell out of flavor.
UG Polymorph/Summoning Trap - Control deck with counters, some removal, ramping and both Summoning Trap and Polymorph (packs the green enchantment that makes Eldrazi Tokens, Khalni Garden and some others), to put either Progenitus, Iona or, most recently, some big ugly Eldrazi into play fast.
Open the Vaults - Packs a lot of cycling, and wins with the namesake card, mostly returning stuff like Filigree Angel and Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Some versions play Silence as backup to the 1-card combo.

June 20, 2010, 10:41:21 AM
Reply #5

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
"Super Friends" is big - (U/W/R control) but it's super expensive due to the landbase and planeswalkers it uses (Jace, The Mind Sculptor, Gideon Jura, Elspeth, Ajani Vengeant).

Vengevine builds with Ranger of Eos are big, too. The Bant version is the best, but it uses most of the Walkers mentioned above. The Naya one is still good and probably cheaper, but Vines are still expensive.

Mythic Conscription is Bant that combos Sovereigns of Lost Alara with Eldrazi Conscription. Uses Baneslayer Angel and Jace, The Mind Sculptor. Cha-ching.

And then Jund, which Felipe did a good job of representing. Probably the cheapest deck in the format right now. Sarkhan the Mad is a great card in there. Cheapest "good" planeswalker anyways.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.