LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Pipeweed  (Read 6740 times)

July 21, 2008, 02:01:38 AM
Read 6740 times

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Pipeweed
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:01:38 AM »
I was building a deck lately -last week- for an unc-only tournement. Yeah, that's right, unc only...well the ring was allowed to be common, but for the rest, uncs. That was prety hard, making a reliable deck with uncs only, but it brought a new light on building decks. Normally you would find inspiration on this site, or on decktech, but now I was summoned to do it my self. Made a pretty sweet deck with Ranger's Versatility, Arwen ranger, Gimli and Quick as may be. Still I wasn't able to win. Afterwards, I was evaluating the whole thing when I somehow noticed the pipeweed conditions. They are awesome, and I wonder whether not to make a very good competitive deck with them.

Just from the top of my head, so correct me when wrong, and improve where necesarry.

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit, bearing the Great Ring
Merry, In the Bloom of health
Pippin, Steadfast friend
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish

Halfling Leaf 4x
Hornblower Leaf 4x
Southfarthing Leaf 4x
Southlinch Leaf 2x
Prized Lagan 2x
Scouring of the Shire 2x
Everyone knows 4x
Little Golden Flower
Ent Draught 2x
Hobbit Sword 3x
Golden Perch Ale 2x

Cancel skirmishes, get strong, do all your tricks. Sure I can think of improvement, such as condition removal, heal possibilities etc, etc. But I like the general idea of the pipeweeds. Suggestions are most welcome
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 24, 2008, 03:34:38 PM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Pipeweed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
All in awe because of the deck? You may comment it, please do, so I can work with it. To me it seems pretty reliable, the skirmish cancelling is awesome. What is not to like. I also consider building it with Smeagol to influence the sites. Together with Safe Passage you can make the twilight go away. Combine them with forest nazguls for maximum fun....I guess it works.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 24, 2008, 04:29:43 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »
It surely must be a good sign if noone comments on your deck - that means there's nothing wrong with it!

That being said, I can't imagine the Golden Perch Ale does a huge amount for you if you're planning on cancelling all the skirmishes anyway. Perhaps you should replace them with more Prized Lagan, because it's the fierce minions that are really going to push this deck to its limit. Or maybe it's worth having some more Southfinch Leaf as fuel for your Halfling and Hornblower Leaf.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:34:54 PM by Thranduil »

July 25, 2008, 07:57:12 AM
Reply #3

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:12 AM »
thanks, but Golden Perch ale is the in case I run into something dirty as Bill Ferny. With the great ring I can safe Frodo, and I can choose to make Pippin fight and win, because he is very strong. Best case scenario is to have a small fierce minion, so 2 tokens are added and 2 burdens removed.

August 03, 2008, 04:23:06 AM
Reply #4

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »
Ok, I made a complete deck, you know, a deck with both fellowship and shadowside, with sidepaths and all and, most important, I played it. Here's the deck:

Frodo And Ring
*The One Ring, The Great Ring (19P1)
*Frodo, Resolute Hobbit (10P121)

Sites
(0) The Angle (12U185)
(0) Buckland Homestead (11S230)
(0) Woody-end (11S266)
(1) Hill of Sight (12S188)
(2) Hobbiton Market (12S189)
(2) Caras Galadhon (11S231)
(3) Old Forest Road (11S251)
(3) Trollshaw Forest (11S260)
(3) Valley of the Silverlode (11S261)

Fellowship (35)
1x *Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marsh (11U163)
1x *Merry, In the Bloom of Health (17U107)
1x *Pippin, Steadfast Friend (19P30)
1x *Smeagol, Pitiable (19P11)
1x *Little Golden Flower (15R148)
1x *Safe Passage (11R50)
3x Ent Draught (9R24)
4x Everyone Knows (9R50)
3x Halfling Leaf (17U106)
3x Hornblower Leaf (17U108)
2x Prized Lagan (18U110)
2x Scouring of the Shire (18R112)
3x Southfarthing Leaf (17U110)
2x Southlinch Leaf (17U111)
4x One Good Turn Deserves Another (11U49)
1x *Golden Perch Ale (18U108)
2x Hobbit Sword (7C319)

Shadow (35)
4x Lost in the Woods (11U212)
4x Moving This Way (11S213)
2x Shapes Slowly Advancing (11R217)
4x Dark Approach (12R162)
3x *The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders (11R226)
2x *Ulaire Enquea, Duplicitous Lieutenant (17R140)
4x *Ulaire Lemenya, Fifth of the Nine Riders (11S221)
4x *Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders (11S222)
4x *Ulaire Nertea, Ninth of the Nine Riders (11S223)
4x *Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders (11R224)

The hobbits are huge! I love it. The set-up goes pretty fast, you need nothing much to do some surviving. They have the potential to be strong, Pippin at strength 24, Merry 18, Maggot 15 orso, and the skirmish cancelling is awesome. Prized Lagan is a dirty trick, just to make sure the bigger minions don't use their fierce thingie. Frodo can deal a punch and with those strong hobbits Golden Perch Ale is to be loaded with tokens. Smeagol is there to lead the path. Normally I would say: bid close to nothing and hope that the other person starts. That way you can lean back, let the other person run on your sites and take advantage of the forests. If you have to walk, Smeagol will lay the sites for you, so forests are likely to appear. He also great for the twilight removal, cause with Safe Passage you empty the pool that is filled with the weed. I loved playing it. I played vs a Orc Corruption deck and it didn't stand a chance. His minions where overwhelmed, the burdens removed, potential dangerous fights where cancelled.
The shadow is awesome. Stupid me never played forestguls with SSA, and man, it worked like a dream. Indeed, twilight added is so helpful. Also, the cycling potential with Moving this Way is helpful for my fellowship. Cards to add are obvious. Toldea, Black Shadow, maybe an Out of Sight and Shot and SBW....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:24:58 AM by Gil-Estel »

August 05, 2008, 10:50:13 AM
Reply #5

Ulmo

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
Not sure how Ent Draught works in this deck because I don't see any Ents to spot - unless I'm missing something.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who know binary and those who don't.
You don't have a backpack. What you have there is an invisible leather TARDIS.

August 05, 2008, 10:54:56 AM
Reply #6

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
Quote from: Ulmo
Not sure how Ent Draught works in this deck because I don't see any Ents to spot - unless I'm missing something.

Merry, In the Bloom of Health. It's a clever loophole I've thought of a time or two myself.

And yes, I'd be sure to add Black Shadow to the Forestguls. They're awesome, but they work SO much better with Toldea pulling Dark Approach back over and over. You could probably drop a couple Moving This Way and/or Lemenya and/or Nertea to fit him in. :up:

I'd also recommend Dark Horseman, Duplicitous Specter, and Sixth of the Nine Riders as other options to strongly consider. Dark Horseman is almost always helpful, I've found Duplicitous Specter to be MUCH more helpful than Seventh of the Nine Riders (as Nazgul tend to spread the wounds around), and Sixth of the Nine Riders is always worth tossing in a copy. :up:

My suggestions laid out:

Shadow (35)
1x Ithil Stone (9R+47)
4x Lost in the Woods (11U212)
3x Moving This Way (11S213)
2x Shapes Slowly Advancing (11R217)
4x Dark Approach (12R162)
3x *The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders (11R226)
2x *Ulaire Enquea, Duplicitous Lieutenant (17R140)
1x *Ulaire Enquea, Sixth of the Nine Riders (13R182)
2x *Ulaire Lemenya, Fifth of the Nine Riders (11S221)
4x *Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders (11S222)
2x *Ulaire Nertea, Dark Horseman (19P38)
1x *Ulaire Nertea, Ninth of the Nine Riders (11S223)
2x *Ulaire Otsea, Duplicitous Specter (17R141)
1x *Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders (11R224)
3x *Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow (12U180)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:10:34 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 09, 2008, 09:30:39 AM
Reply #7

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
      It seems a very powerful deck!

Just in case... if you face a deck that, say, runs desert lords with seasoned leaders and mumak chiefitain with mumak and adding threats and don´t let you remove them... This seems to make some noise on your hobbits, cause they will lose strenght bonus from Everyone Knows, don´t let you put the threats to do things like cancel fierce skirmishes...

Well, this don´t totally screw up your deck but you may consider add Bilbo (the ally) to have some condition discard power, just in the case you really need to...

But the Freeps looks very solid!

For the Nazgul, well... i will let for someone who actually knows something about them to get you the tips...

August 12, 2008, 05:22:59 AM
Reply #8

Braindamagedcarebearsrock

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:22:59 AM »
Well i play gandalf in my version

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
the Great Ring

at start:(3)
Merry, In the Bloom of health
Pippin, In the Bloom of Health
Huorn

others:(4)
1x radagast, the brown
3x gandalf, wise guide

pipes:(20)
2x Southlinch leaf
4x Hornblower leaf
3x Southfarthing leaf
4x halfling leaf
3x long-stemmed pipe
1x ship of smoke
2x perspective

events:(3)
3x Momentous gathering

Possesions:(5)
1x glamdring
2x Hobbit sword
1x Sting, Elven Long Knife
1x radagast's herb bag

35 in total

Basicly, try get Momentous gathering to starting hand , or gandalf. You search ship of smoke with momenteus gathering as condition(or perspective)and gandalf.
Perspective is for manuever tricks like Goblin lackey. Long-stemmed pipe is this decks condition discard and you can search extra gandalfs from deck. and gandalf is for event countering.