LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Naith Elves - Southron Ambush  (Read 10181 times)

May 25, 2010, 11:57:21 PM
Read 10181 times

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger

May 26, 2010, 05:16:07 AM
Reply #1

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
Re: Naith Elves - Southron Ambush
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:16:07 AM »
What do you mean "they shouldn't have been"?  :o  It's Tolkien who kicked them out after seeing Jackson's movie. I mean, movies always come first, right?  :lol:

I tried Naith Elves, but I found them too dependent on those bows and even with them, they are not really that strong (with the mighty exception of Naith Warband). Although, my Naith deck was a movie deck, I don't know how much stronger can they be in towers.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

May 26, 2010, 05:36:36 AM
Reply #2

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:36:36 AM »
I have so far found this Southron build to be fairly solid. People often play six companions (Elves, Rangers, Ents, Rainbow etc.) and then Southron Veterans has some fun. If only five comps use Southron Fighter. use Southron Invaders to replay minions of choice, Southron Wanderer to add pool, Southron Traveler to keep them alive. Everyone has ambush, use Southron Spear, Whirling Strike and Mumaks to finish companions off.

The Elves have also been strong. Pengedhel, Thonnas, Naith Warband and Erethon are all decent fighters with a sword and bow. 3/3 wins so far with this one.

May 26, 2010, 09:55:54 AM
Reply #3

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:55:54 AM »
I have so far found this Southron build to be fairly solid. People often play six companions (Elves, Rangers, Ents, Rainbow etc.) and then Southron Veterans has some fun. If only five comps use Southron Fighter. use Southron Invaders to replay minions of choice, Southron Wanderer to add pool, Southron Traveler to keep them alive. Everyone has ambush, use Southron Spear, Whirling Strike and Mumaks to finish companions off.

The Elves have also been strong. Pengedhel, Thonnas, Naith Warband and Erethon are all decent fighters with a sword and bow. 3/3 wins so far with this one.

I have to agree that Southron is pretty decent in TT block. All of the multiple companion hate that it has counter some of the best TT block decks. Southron Spear is awesome vs Ents.

June 01, 2010, 01:28:19 AM
Reply #4

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:28:19 AM »
Nice deck, with a fairly straightforward and reliable combo. :)
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

November 13, 2015, 08:08:50 AM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
Cheers, MuadDib85, and welcome back, 5 year old topic.

I've circulated this deck into my Gemp arsenal recently and through 15 games, it is 4-11.

The Shadow is incredibly draw-dependent and struggles against smaller Fellowships (which are, admittedly, few in Towers Block). Like Wargs, you are in trouble when you have a hand of Mumak and Southron Spear but no Raiders or vice versa. Wargs at least have Warg-Master for cheap recursion; Army of Haradhrim might be a necessity in this deck.

The bigger flaw, I think, comes in the reliance on Naith Elves. Like the elves at Helm's Deep, these guys are cannon-fodder. It's no question to me how not a single elf (besides Legolas) survived the Helm's Deep battle; these guys are pretty underwhelming on all levels. They can [read: can] win skirmishes, but without damage bonuses or killing power, they cannot double move. Dunland, Warg Riders, Uruk-Hai, and even Southrons all put this deck in its place.

Just a few thoughts. Trying to revive the boards a little bit.
-wtk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:10:21 AM by ket_the_jet »

November 14, 2015, 01:22:19 AM
Reply #6

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 01:22:19 AM »
4-11 seems about right for this deck; it's not strong on either side. The lack of damage +anything means they're a survival fellowship, unlike Rohan or Elven archery or Ring-Bound Rangers. Survival fellowships can't double move in Towers Block and will generally lose to fellowships that can.

Southrons have a place against certain decks in Towers Block - Ents in particular, that like running 5 or 6 companions but have little ability to beat 10 strength minions. But Eomer eats Southrons, even on mumaks, and Rohan can just replace the non-Eomer and Eowyn companions. That said, this deck is too fair - you're only running one Southron Commander and zero Desert Lords! Those are contenders for the best minion in Towers Block (along with Wulf). Southron Wanderer is just a 3 cost 8/1 minion with ambush 5. And it's hard to rely on the Invaders - because you have to play a minion first to get a third minion, that's going to be almost all of the pool.

Also, given all the ambush, there's plenty of twilight space for at least one On the March. I'd remove 1 Spear and 1 Whirling Strike for two. 1 Ithilien Wilderness wouldn't hurt either - pump in condition form doesn't clog the hand as much.
Hmm, maybe this? I'm okay with 19 minions and 15 support cards - this set of minions is a bit bigger. Probably there should be 4 of some minions and 2 of others, but I don't know what.

2x Army of Haradrim
2x Desert Lord 
3x Southron Commander (4U249
3x Southron Fighter (4R251
3x Southron Invaders (6C81
3x Southron Traveler (5C76
3x Southron Veterans (4R257

4x Mumak (5C73
3x Southron Spear (4C255)
1x Ithilien Wilderness
3x Whirling Strike
2x On The March