LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Top 10 Realms of the Elf-Lords cards  (Read 5865 times)

July 19, 2010, 07:44:21 PM
Read 5865 times

Fjordhermit

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Top 10 Realms of the Elf-Lords cards
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
Hey..  I'm a huge fan of top ten lists, so I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the top 10 cards of Realms of the Elf-Lords.  (Check the other Fellowship block Top 10 posts.)  I always loved when Scrye/InQuest would do top ten lists of recent releases back in the day.

Honestly, my box of Realms packs just arrived in the mail (only $50 from a store online that randomly had 1 in stock..) so I haven't had any playtime with the set yet.  Looks like a lot of doozies in there though!  What are your thoughts?

July 19, 2010, 08:10:57 PM
Reply #1

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

July 19, 2010, 11:13:20 PM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Top 10 Realms of the Elf-Lords cards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »
Some nice calls NB, and here are some others:

Narya
Banner of the White Tree
Citadel of Minas Tirith
Gondor Bowmen
Horn of Boromir
Might of Numenor
The Shards of Narsil
Hate and Anger
The Palantir of Orthanc
Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
Saruman, Servant of the Eye
The Shire Countryside
Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith*

maybe a top 20 list would be better in here, as there are lots of really good cards in RoTEL.

Oh, and I wanted to add a complete RoTEL set isn't worth much more thatn 30US$.

July 19, 2010, 11:39:21 PM
Reply #3

putridbreath

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
I play Movie block and I find these 10 to be my most used/desired cards from Relams of the Elf Lords:

1. Narya
2. Might of Numenor
3. Trust Me As You Once Did
4. Saruman, Servant of the Eye
5. Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
6. Gondor Bowmen
7. Long-knives of Legolas
8. Citadel of Minas Tirith
9. Eregion Hills
10. Isengard Smith
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:55:11 PM by putridbreath »

August 16, 2010, 10:43:19 PM
Reply #5

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
My top ten would have to be something like (in no particular order):

Song of Durin
Long Knives of Legolas
Trust Me as You Once Did
Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Citadel of Minas Tirith
Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
The Ring Draws Them
Orc Pillager
The Shire Countryside
The Great River

This is for fellowship block, they would be different choices for movie.  These have done a lot for me in my years of playing.

November 12, 2018, 04:50:35 AM
Reply #6

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »
Bringing this one back! Of the Fellowship block sets, making a Top 10 list was easiest for me by far for RotEL. I left off anything which wound up on the Movie block x-list because, clearly, those cards have already proven their effectiveness.

10 Citadel of Minas Tirith - Great picture, great effect, great lore. Just a cool card to use.
9 Long-knives of Legolas - Made Legolas a fighter. Maybe not as good a fighter as Arwen, but Legolas has more utility than her.
8 Isengard Smith - If you can protect his vitality, discard "all Free Peoples possessions" is tough to beat.
7 Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith - Basically allows the Free Peoples player to replay him every turn. There's certainly a cost but in general the effect is well worth it, especially if you slap some armor on him.
6 Deep in Thought - One of the best condition discarding effects in the game if you can meet the requirement.
5 Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad - A single card which constantly heals any companion for free with no cultural enforcement. He can also provide any deck access to stellar condition discard via Secret Sentinels. Pretty good darn.
4 Saruman, Servant of the Eye - When I first started playing, I thought this was the most overpowered support minion there could be. I was naive. Still, undoubtedly a solid minion capable of killing companions in one site with another minion present or stopping a Fellowship by himself in a potential bluff.
3 Trust Me As You Once Did - Cornerstone for decks which use it, this one has excellent versatility to win fights, survive swarms, and have Pippin fight The Balrog... twice.
2 Shire Countryside - In most other sets, this would be the top card. Another condition cornerstone for some fun and tough strategies. Any card that gets a nickname or has decks named after it is a gem; Hobbit Hospital has both.
1 Vilya - Oh, Vilya. This is my least favorite card to play against in the entire game, and that includes GLR. Combined with Herald to Gil-galad, the Free Peoples has near-complete control of the board and the Shadow player has few ways to counter. A 5 vitality ally (who heals twice every turn) is nigh impossible to kill, and discarding is usually a temporary solution since people pack multiples of Elrond and Vilya to draw them early. Because of how powerful they are. Should've gotten X-listed when token-bearing conditions appeared (i.e., in Towers along with the introduction of the X-list).

Betrayal of Isengard didn't make the list, though I wanted to add that it's the counter for what is perhaps the best card in the set: Saruman, Keeper of Isengard.

It's interesting to look at what had previously been mentioned. The game hasn't changed, and yet the best cards (at least, in my mind) are not the same as they were. Does anyone else have an opinion on the matter, some 8 years later?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:56:16 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

November 13, 2018, 08:59:17 PM
Reply #7

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
In the order they appear in the set, and following Phallen's stricture about banned cards:

Book of Mazarbul - so much draw, and a tale for Gloin
Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad - conventional wisdom is wise
Long-knives of Legolas - why do Elf weapons provide such low strength bonuses? (Don't answer that.) At least this one helps with most Fellowship minions
Trust Me as You Once Did - Yes, I want the Ring-bearer to not die
Gondor Bowmen - So many arrows ...
Orc Butcher - Cool design, good fighter for a two-drop
Orc Swordsman - Vile Blade
Tower of Barad-dur - So I tend to run small decks ...
Caras Galadhon - I don't really find most of the site 6s that appealing. This one's saved my neck
Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith - Yes, I want my Fellowship to live