LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Drafts  (Read 3864 times)

July 19, 2010, 09:00:00 PM
Read 3864 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Drafts
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
So I'm thinking about going to FNM at my local store in Langley, and its Limited Booster drafts. So, I am looking for any suggestions on how to play Magic drafts, as I never have before.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

July 20, 2010, 12:44:44 AM
Reply #1

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: Drafts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »
Ive done FNM draft a few times. First of all take the rare if its any good even if it doesnt fit into your deck!

But besides that, study your first pack, work out the best card from that and take it and aim for that colour. When you get handed your second pack try to draft the same colour. If it gets to the point you cant take any good cards of that colour pick the next best and mix your draft with those 2 if mono colour isnt possible. It usually isnt to be honest. 2 colours is the way usually. red is good for draft cos not much can stop your burn but pair it with something good. Black is good because it has lots of removal like doom blade, and in draft removal rocks. White and blue also deal with threats well.

Take stuff with mana abilities like nankuto shade, because in limited you get to the point where you have lots of mana and nothing to do with it. Therefore you can use these abilities when neither u or ur opponent have any cards to play.

Cant think of anything else really, im more of a constructed guy to be fair.

Cheers
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

July 26, 2010, 10:31:52 AM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Drafts
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
Drafting is... sketchy. It depends highly on the skill level of the people sitting at your table, and if any of them is money-drafting (drafting the most expensive cards to sell after). Aside from that, you need to know what cards are good in limited (hints: Removal, Bombs, reusable cards). Knowing this, from pick 4 onwards, you can have an idea of which color(S) might be open, so you can move into it if your initial color has dried up. It is also important to know this, because of what cards YOU will be passing on the first pack, which will USUALLY set people on those colors, meaning you won't be seeing cards of those colors on pack 2.